5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a try!
Published on 15 Aug. 2010 by Katherine Leadbetter

3.0 out of 5 stars Cumberbatch is an excellent Holmes and Freeman - well Freeman plays Freeman playing ...
Modernising Sherlock Holmes? Nothing wrong with that - in fact it raises many exciting possibilities which are fully explored in this series. Cumberbatch is an excellent Holmes and Freeman - well Freeman plays Freeman playing Watson, but it works well enough for all that. The Aghanistan conflict screamed out for a parallel here and Dr Watson's post-traumatic stress was...
Published 9 months ago by NB

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a try!, 15 Aug. 2010
Katherine Leadbetter (Portsmouth, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
What more can I say other than I enjoyed them so much that I've watched all three episodes twice? Cumberbatch's dark, thrilling Holmes was perfect for the modern setting and the growing relationship between him and Martin Freeman's quietly brave Watson was kept integral to the plot as it always should be. And what great plots they are, although I would expect nothing less from Stephen Moffat and Mark Gatiss who rarely fail to impress me: They clearly know their Sherlock Holmes and borrow selectively from the original short stories and novels to create something that is new and fresh. Each episode is clever and thoughtful, with interesting modern twists; such as the particularly effective use of text to allow you to see what Sherlock is thinking as he surveys a crime scene or texts on his phone. It really is worth getting past the images of gaslight and hansom cabs that Sherlock Holmes normally brings to mind and letting yourself be drawn into the show. I thought I would hate 'Sherlock' when I first heard about the series and I couldn't have been more wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars A show that turned me around, 30 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I must admit that I had never read the original Sherlock Holmes stories. I was familiar with them, of course, and have many friends who hold them in high regard. I was also a big fan of the tv show House, whose main character is based on Sherlock Holmes, but that was pretty much my knowledge of it. I watched Guy Richie's 2009 movie Sherlock Holmes, and walked away feeling nothing, despite liking the actors in the movie.

And then I watched BBC's contemporary adaption simply named Sherlock, and there it was, the magic that made me fall in love. I had not expected it at all, but there was no denying that Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss had created something extraordinary. That the stories work so well put into modern times, who would have thought? I think Gatiss made a good point when he in an interview said that one reason it worked so well was that since they did not have to spend a lot of time and energy creating a visually convincing Victorian London, it gave them much more room to focus on the characters. And I am a character-focused viewer, and Sherlock gives us a beautiful and modern take on who two young men like Sherlock and John, as they call each other, would be like today, running around London, hailing cabs, bickering and occasionally grinning at crime scenes.

It also got me into the original Conan Doyle stories, and there is no doubt that Moffat and Gatiss adore them as well. The show is literally littered with reference, names, places and lines and conversations from Conan Doyle's stories, remixed and put into other situations and with other people. The show can be seen by a Sherlock newbie, but I must say that it definitely gives you an even more pleasurable experience watching the show while snickering at all the familiar bits from the old material.

The cast is spot on, too. Benedict Cumberbatch is a perfectly intense, flamboyant and otherworldly Sherlock. Even his physical appearance match with the description of Sherlock Holmes in Conan Doyle's "A Study in Scarlet". As his room mate and newfound friend, Martin Freeman's down-to-earth jumper-wearing everyday man is the perfect anchor for a Sherlock that doesn't always know when he goes too far.

A real gem for both new and old Sherlock Holmes fans indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holmes Run, 10 Nov. 2010
I. A. Price "CWMSAERBREN" (WALES) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This is a modern day rendition of Holmes and Watson. It s slick, quick has excellent characterisation and is filmed in a manner to keep one on one's toes.

The modern day London setting didn't matter to me at all as the lead actors performed with much aplomb being both instantly recognisable from previous incarnations and easily fitting into the present day.

The plots are an amalgam of Conan Doyles' original stories with modifications allowing them to fit in with their modern settings.

It's a hoot from start to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Adaptation for the new millennium, 25 Jan. 2011
How good is Sherlock? Brilliant. I have been a Sherlock Holmes fan since watching the Basil Rathbone films in the school holidays when I was a kid, and then reading the books my father had. I approached this version will slight trepidation. I was reassured that Mark Gatiss and Stephen Moffat were the creative forces behind it, but nevertheless...

I needn't have worried. All the 3 episodes are fantastic. The chemistry between Cumberbatch (Holmes) and Freeman (Watson) is terrific, and the storylines are pacey and gritty. The camera work showing Holmes analysing the scene is just one of the neat touches that allows the viewer to be involved with the action from start to finish.

The Blu Ray comes with commentaries on the 1st and 3rd episode, as well as the pilot version of the 1st episode. Gatiss, Cumberbatch and Freeman narrate the 3rd episode, and they are relaxed and jovial. Whilst there is not the technical insight about scene creation, character research, etc that some may crave they talk candidly about the film making process and their memories of how scenes were crafted. Frequently going off track to come back again make the commentary engaging.

Any Sherlock Holmes fans worried about this defiling Sir Arthur's creation need fear not. Whilst Jeremy Brett was probably the definitive Victorian Holmes, this is an excellent adaptation and worthy of attention

5.0 out of 5 stars We also love it in France!, 3 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I'm french, and first discovered the series on the internet, before buy it. I am an inconditional of Sherlock Holmes since ever, and was immediately seducted by this modern version.
To summarize my impression in three words : I loved it!
To choose two "historic" references, this series seems a perfect compromise between the performance of Jeremy Brett and the newest and most dynamic of Robert Downey Jr.
Benedict Cumbertbach undoubtedly deserves a leading place among the best Holmes ever seen on screen. Elegant, nervous, capricious and moody, alternately charming and detestable but still incredibly endearing... He does not play, he IS the character, Martin Freeman is a marvellous Watson, and the secondary characters are all very well "drawed". And, extremely important, they have the age of their characters ... Finally!
The spirit is faithful to the works of Conan Doyle, and references are fun (Sherlock has quit smoking ... John found him lying on the sofa with three anti-nicotine patches stuck on his arm: "It's a three-patch problem").
The transition to the twenty-first century doesn't causes any problem, modernization is highly succesful, and blogs, sms, London cabs, etc. ... replaces perfectly newspapers, telegrams and other fiacres.
A series that takes place among the best ever made on the subject, and amply deserves to be pursued.

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly good series and a new Holmes and Watson, 7 Dec. 2011
RR Waller "ISeneca" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I first encountered 22A Baker Street at school when I was awarded a hardcover edition of the collected works, all the stories under one cover. Reading all the stories over time, I grew accustomed to the Victorian life, the deerstalkers, pipe smoking, violin playing and all the idiosyncrasies of this detective and the relationship with his military doctor friend and revolver wielding biographer.

When I imagine Holmes and Watson, it is the Victorian pair I see. I am a traditionalist, which made it very difficult to consider the modernised new version with Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss. I saw Guy Richie's 2009 movie, "Sherlock Holmes" with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law and disliked what had been done to the characters, although it is a clever film.

"Sherlock" surprised me. I liked it as they seemed to have taken the characters' essence and put them into new modern bodies living in recognisable settings. The quirkiness, genius and eccentricity of the Holmes and the straight-laced, traditional military attitudes of Watson in exciting, fast-moving stories.

Expected pleasure down to sharp writing, clever filming and great acting.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was wrong to doubt such a brilliant show, 21 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Being a bit of a Sherlock Holmes purist, I must admit that I didn't really enjoy this when it was originally aired on TV. I'd come to it with blinkers on, and never really gave it a chance (switching off in disgust at the point where Holmes declared that it was a `three patch problem')!

However, having just recently obtained a copy of the first series I have just watched the whole of the first episode (A study in Pink) and can't believe how much I enjoyed it! Not only is it funny and gripping, but also very cleverly thought out in the way that certain aspects of the original novel have been brought to life with a modern twist. The casting of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman is perfect too - I just feel ashamed that it's taken me so long to appreciate it, but as they say better late than never!

For anyone else who loves the original Holmes, I say give it a chance - it's still not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure, but if you open your mind, you might, just like me, be pleasantly surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at "first scene"!, 18 Mar. 2012
shiruchan (Firenze, Italy) - See all my reviews
I am a Sherlock Holmes fan since I was a child, I have read all stories and novels (some of them more than once), and I have seen lots of TV and cinema adaptations: I have to admit that, in my opinion, this is the best by far! It is brilliantly written and directed: Sherlock Holmes and friends just as they have been described by Conan Doyle, but with much more humor. The stories, though very different from the original ones, are a perfect adaptation to modern times and have hints to the Sherlock's universe which I find really amusing, and I think all fans would agree on that. And the cast! What can I say? Benedict Cumberbatch was born to play this part! He IS Sherlock! Martin Freeman plays a really intense Dr. Watson, Una Stubbs is a lovely Mrs. Hudson, Mark Gatiss is a SUPERB Mycroft... All the cast is just as good!
About the episodes: the first one (A Study in Pink) is absolutely brilliant. It is my favourite of the three: Sherlock and John meet for the first time, and you can see their relationship starting and developing. It has some scenes which I cannot stop watching and rewatching, and laughing for! The third one (The Great Game) is completely breath taking, but I won't say anything else to avoid spoilers to those who still have to watch it. The second episode (The Blind Banker) is the one I liked the least, but I have already watched it twice anyway!
In conclusion, this series is absolutely a must-see!

The quality of the blue-ray is very good. It contains two discs with the three episodes, and audiocommentaries for episodes 1 and 3. Commentaries unfortunately do not have subtitles, which is quite disappointing: they are really interesting and people would like to understand 100% of what they are talking about, but some passages are a little challenging for those like me, who don't have english as a mother tongue... The discs contain also an interesting behind the scenes (Unlocking Sherlock) and the pilot, which is the first version of A Study in Pink, shorter by 30 minutes and different in many aspects, so definitely worth seeing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sherlock, 11 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
OK, I have been a fan of the Sherlock Holmes novels/short stories for many years, and own more than one copy of the literature and can say that I have read the books at the very least over 20 times each. It was always the perfect form of escapism for me, the characters, the "innocence" (if you like compared to the modern world) and the settings. To say nothing of the language and dialogue which always makes me smile as folk back then knew how to speak and write English!

I liked the early Jeremy Brett TV episodes as they seemed quite faithful to the original work, and authentic (I imagine); one problem I had with this version was the sad and shocking decline of Jeremy Brett. I find the later episodes painful to watch as Brett's Holmes just dosn't meet my personal mental version. A very sad and unfortunate decline.

So, when I heard about this new BBC version I initially shunned it, thinking it was going to be some trash that the BBC squeezed out to fill a Sunday evening schedule.

How wrong I was! I think that the updated version has worked perfectly, not only in the attention to detail, the modernization and the humour, but the casting is absolutely spot on. Holmes is fantastic, everything I would have wanted from a Holmes. Watson gets well deserved portrayal and again is perfectly cast, and at last Lestrade is not such a fool.

I shall be buying this DVD, as I have already watched them on iplayer several times. Like the books, each time you read/see the story something new crops up. Escapism is back!

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern and New, 14 Jan. 2011
Alies (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Sherlock. As a Doctor Who fan I as bound to watch this with enthusiasm. But the fact that it was written by two writers of the Doctor Who team had me doubting to watch it. I thought that the cries - about how brilliant this show was - weren't 100% objective, where I only heard the side of the 'Whovians'. So I didn't follow it untill it came on the Dutch televion.

How wrong I was to assume that my fellow Whovians were only telling half the truth. When I saw my first Sherlock episode, the BBC could be sure they had another buyer.

The episodes are great fun to watch. Clever written. Enough humor. Quite some oneliners. And very well adapted to our 21th century. The use of mobile phones and other modern objects and software, translating old object into new (old watch to mobile phone, Watson's diary to a blog, Holmes' articles in the newspaper to a website); it was all done perfectly.
Next to that: The writing is original. I love how the authors used those tiny details from the original Doyle stories and yet made brand new out of it. This by mixing different stories into one episode and by taking a complete other turn with the details they've picked out from the original. I like that it is original and new. Cuz if we were to stay 100% true to the stories: Wouldn't the adaptations being made bore us in the end? Wouldn't the original stories loose their uniqueness?

Next to the three already broadcasted episodes this DVD has more things to offer.
First of all the pilot. It was great to watch and see the differences between this 60-minute episode and the 90-minute A Study in Pink. Compared to the later, the pilot looks of lesser quality. But then again they did a very decent job! Where it's shorter it's bound to have differences to the final one, and therefor is something you should really watch. Though while having watched this, my little brother guessed the outcome too early on.
Secondly we have Unlocking Sherlock. Very informative piece of work about how Sherlock came to exist. A bit behind of the scenes. Very nice.
Finally the commentary. Interesting and funny listening material. It's like being part of the conversation yourself. One thing that dissapoints me a little bit is that the commentaries only give the subtitles from the actual episode that's being discussed. For none native speakers or people with hearing problems that's a bit difficult. Manageable, but difficult.

I'd say: If you like Sherlock Holmes, or you like modern detectives: You should really try this out.

Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD]
Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] by Paul McGuigan (DVD - 2010)