5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a try!
Published on 15 Aug. 2010 by Katherine Leadbetter

3.0 out of 5 stars Cumberbatch is an excellent Holmes and Freeman - well Freeman plays Freeman playing ...
Modernising Sherlock Holmes? Nothing wrong with that - in fact it raises many exciting possibilities which are fully explored in this series. Cumberbatch is an excellent Holmes and Freeman - well Freeman plays Freeman playing Watson, but it works well enough for all that. The Aghanistan conflict screamed out for a parallel here and Dr Watson's post-traumatic stress was...
Published 8 months ago by NB

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a try!, 15 Aug. 2010
Katherine Leadbetter (Portsmouth, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
What more can I say other than I enjoyed them so much that I've watched all three episodes twice? Cumberbatch's dark, thrilling Holmes was perfect for the modern setting and the growing relationship between him and Martin Freeman's quietly brave Watson was kept integral to the plot as it always should be. And what great plots they are, although I would expect nothing less from Stephen Moffat and Mark Gatiss who rarely fail to impress me: They clearly know their Sherlock Holmes and borrow selectively from the original short stories and novels to create something that is new and fresh. Each episode is clever and thoughtful, with interesting modern twists; such as the particularly effective use of text to allow you to see what Sherlock is thinking as he surveys a crime scene or texts on his phone. It really is worth getting past the images of gaslight and hansom cabs that Sherlock Holmes normally brings to mind and letting yourself be drawn into the show. I thought I would hate 'Sherlock' when I first heard about the series and I couldn't have been more wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars A show that turned me around, 30 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I must admit that I had never read the original Sherlock Holmes stories. I was familiar with them, of course, and have many friends who hold them in high regard. I was also a big fan of the tv show House, whose main character is based on Sherlock Holmes, but that was pretty much my knowledge of it. I watched Guy Richie's 2009 movie Sherlock Holmes, and walked away feeling nothing, despite liking the actors in the movie.

And then I watched BBC's contemporary adaption simply named Sherlock, and there it was, the magic that made me fall in love. I had not expected it at all, but there was no denying that Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss had created something extraordinary. That the stories work so well put into modern times, who would have thought? I think Gatiss made a good point when he in an interview said that one reason it worked so well was that since they did not have to spend a lot of time and energy creating a visually convincing Victorian London, it gave them much more room to focus on the characters. And I am a character-focused viewer, and Sherlock gives us a beautiful and modern take on who two young men like Sherlock and John, as they call each other, would be like today, running around London, hailing cabs, bickering and occasionally grinning at crime scenes.

It also got me into the original Conan Doyle stories, and there is no doubt that Moffat and Gatiss adore them as well. The show is literally littered with reference, names, places and lines and conversations from Conan Doyle's stories, remixed and put into other situations and with other people. The show can be seen by a Sherlock newbie, but I must say that it definitely gives you an even more pleasurable experience watching the show while snickering at all the familiar bits from the old material.

The cast is spot on, too. Benedict Cumberbatch is a perfectly intense, flamboyant and otherworldly Sherlock. Even his physical appearance match with the description of Sherlock Holmes in Conan Doyle's "A Study in Scarlet". As his room mate and newfound friend, Martin Freeman's down-to-earth jumper-wearing everyday man is the perfect anchor for a Sherlock that doesn't always know when he goes too far.

A real gem for both new and old Sherlock Holmes fans indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holmes Run, 10 Nov. 2010
I. A. Price "CWMSAERBREN" (WALES) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This is a modern day rendition of Holmes and Watson. It s slick, quick has excellent characterisation and is filmed in a manner to keep one on one's toes.

The modern day London setting didn't matter to me at all as the lead actors performed with much aplomb being both instantly recognisable from previous incarnations and easily fitting into the present day.

The plots are an amalgam of Conan Doyles' original stories with modifications allowing them to fit in with their modern settings.

It's a hoot from start to finish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern and New, 14 Jan. 2011
Alies (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Sherlock. As a Doctor Who fan I as bound to watch this with enthusiasm. But the fact that it was written by two writers of the Doctor Who team had me doubting to watch it. I thought that the cries - about how brilliant this show was - weren't 100% objective, where I only heard the side of the 'Whovians'. So I didn't follow it untill it came on the Dutch televion.

How wrong I was to assume that my fellow Whovians were only telling half the truth. When I saw my first Sherlock episode, the BBC could be sure they had another buyer.

The episodes are great fun to watch. Clever written. Enough humor. Quite some oneliners. And very well adapted to our 21th century. The use of mobile phones and other modern objects and software, translating old object into new (old watch to mobile phone, Watson's diary to a blog, Holmes' articles in the newspaper to a website); it was all done perfectly.
Next to that: The writing is original. I love how the authors used those tiny details from the original Doyle stories and yet made brand new out of it. This by mixing different stories into one episode and by taking a complete other turn with the details they've picked out from the original. I like that it is original and new. Cuz if we were to stay 100% true to the stories: Wouldn't the adaptations being made bore us in the end? Wouldn't the original stories loose their uniqueness?

Next to the three already broadcasted episodes this DVD has more things to offer.
First of all the pilot. It was great to watch and see the differences between this 60-minute episode and the 90-minute A Study in Pink. Compared to the later, the pilot looks of lesser quality. But then again they did a very decent job! Where it's shorter it's bound to have differences to the final one, and therefor is something you should really watch. Though while having watched this, my little brother guessed the outcome too early on.
Secondly we have Unlocking Sherlock. Very informative piece of work about how Sherlock came to exist. A bit behind of the scenes. Very nice.
Finally the commentary. Interesting and funny listening material. It's like being part of the conversation yourself. One thing that dissapoints me a little bit is that the commentaries only give the subtitles from the actual episode that's being discussed. For none native speakers or people with hearing problems that's a bit difficult. Manageable, but difficult.

I'd say: If you like Sherlock Holmes, or you like modern detectives: You should really try this out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent modern take with nice references to the original stories., 18 Jan. 2015
FallenGrace (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
So as a big Sherlock Holmes fan I came into this series apprehensive. A modern take? How could that work and keep to the spirit of the original stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle? The answer is surprisingly well, brilliant in fact, though not flawless.

The casting for the most part is perfect. Benedict Cumberbatch nails the role of Sherlock, Martin Freeman as Watson is also the perfect counter point to Holme's eccentric consultant detective persona. These two as the core of the series play the most important roles but other characters such as Mycroft are equally well presented all of which impressed me greatly.

The episodes also, characters aside, give great nods to the original stories while updating them, Watson had been in the recent Afghanistan war, blogs, texts and the internet are all brought in as part of the cases to modernize it and makes for tightly told and cohesive plots.

I also really enjoyed the short season (only three episodes) but at an almost movie like length of 90 minutes. It allowed for much deeper and focused character and plot development.

So this series was feeling like it was going to be near perfect with respect given, well written stories and excellent casting but Moriarty's appearance was so badly implimented, cast and acted with him being hugely in Sherlock's face rather than pulling strings in the background left a rather large bitter taste in my mouth at the last minute. It was such a huge disappointment to what had blown away all my expectations up until then. He was the only miscast character but one that is so important.

I still liked the show despite that one flaw though, it's clever and well acted.

Recommended.

+ Modernization of the series is excellent.
+ Casting for Sherlock and Watson were bang on the money.
+ Short season but long episodes worked well.

- Moriarty was so abysmal it almost put me off the whole show.

5.0 out of 5 stars The game's afoot: 21st century style, 17 Sept. 2011
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Lots of great fictional characters have been reinvented from time to time as their original era fades into history.

The Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes films were hugely popular and are still fondly remembered. But they weren't strong on 19th century period detail.

Thus writers Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss figured why not reinvent the characters again for the 21st century?

Here are the results.

Three ninety minute long episodes are presented here, in a two dvd set. Episodes one and two on the first disc, and episode three plus various extras are on the third.

This does keep the London and Baker Street settings of the originals - and also starts with Doctor Watson coming home from Afghanistan. Regular supporting characters with familiar names turn up, keeping the characteristics of the originals. And the scripts do draw on those stories, sometimes though putting a slightly different spin on things.

A show like this does though hinge on the casting of the two main characters and the chemistry between them. And here this succeeds perfectly. Benedict Cumberbatch making a compelling screen presence as Sherlock, making him a genius at observation and a man whose mind clearly works much differently to everyone else's. He receives excellent support from Martin Freeman as Watson, who makes the Doctor a superb foil for sherlock and yet someone who is quite intelligent as well.

The episodes are all quite long at ninety minutes each [according to the making of documentary the writer originally envisaged sixty minute long episodes but the bbc wanted ninety minutes] but time does fly by as you watch them. There are hints of a story arc in the first two. All of which come sharply into play in the third. Which ends on a cliffhanger after a genuinely chilling scene. This to be resolved in the forthcoming second season of the show. I'm looking forward to it.

The dvd has the following language and subtitle options:

Languages: English.

Subtitles: English.

There's a commentary from Mark Gatiss Steven Moffat and producer Sue Vertue on episode one.

A commentary from Benedict Cumberbatch Martin Freeman and Mark Gatiss on episode three.

A making of documentary that runs for just over half an hour and is very good and well worth a watch.

Plus the original sixty minute long version of the first episode. Which they went back and reshot after the bbc, as mentioned, asked for it to be ninety minutes. There are some minor differences between the scenes from this that got into the final version of it compard to what you see here, and it runs at quite a blistering pace, so it's an interesting comparison to the broadcast version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the haters, this is brilliant, 17 Aug. 2010
When I first saw the adverts for this I thought "Oh bloody hell, another silly reboot".

Then I read that it was being helmed by Steven Moffat and Mark Gattiss. Then I watched it.

Simply genius. Fantastically intricate and clever, funny, superbly (and I mean superbly) acted, brilliantly written and incredibly enjoyable to watch.

Yes, they don't call each other Holmes and Watson but then this is the 21st century and that kind of thing needs updating. Short of that, the original texts have been honoured down to every detail (read: noone says "elementary").

Buy it, watch it, love it. Simple as.

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly good series and a new Holmes and Watson, 7 Dec. 2011
RR Waller "ISeneca" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I first encountered 22A Baker Street at school when I was awarded a hardcover edition of the collected works, all the stories under one cover. Reading all the stories over time, I grew accustomed to the Victorian life, the deerstalkers, pipe smoking, violin playing and all the idiosyncrasies of this detective and the relationship with his military doctor friend and revolver wielding biographer.

When I imagine Holmes and Watson, it is the Victorian pair I see. I am a traditionalist, which made it very difficult to consider the modernised new version with Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss. I saw Guy Richie's 2009 movie, "Sherlock Holmes" with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law and disliked what had been done to the characters, although it is a clever film.

"Sherlock" surprised me. I liked it as they seemed to have taken the characters' essence and put them into new modern bodies living in recognisable settings. The quirkiness, genius and eccentricity of the Holmes and the straight-laced, traditional military attitudes of Watson in exciting, fast-moving stories.

Expected pleasure down to sharp writing, clever filming and great acting.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was wrong to doubt such a brilliant show, 21 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Being a bit of a Sherlock Holmes purist, I must admit that I didn't really enjoy this when it was originally aired on TV. I'd come to it with blinkers on, and never really gave it a chance (switching off in disgust at the point where Holmes declared that it was a `three patch problem')!

However, having just recently obtained a copy of the first series I have just watched the whole of the first episode (A study in Pink) and can't believe how much I enjoyed it! Not only is it funny and gripping, but also very cleverly thought out in the way that certain aspects of the original novel have been brought to life with a modern twist. The casting of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman is perfect too - I just feel ashamed that it's taken me so long to appreciate it, but as they say better late than never!

For anyone else who loves the original Holmes, I say give it a chance - it's still not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure, but if you open your mind, you might, just like me, be pleasantly surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, 21 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
As far as I was concerned, Jeremy Brett was the definitive Sherlock Holmes so when I saw the announcement of a modern-day Sherlock , I didn't think I could watch but I was drawn in ...and became a die-hard fan. Benedict Cumberbatch is perfect as Sherlock, likewise Martin Freeman as John Watson. I loved the snappy dialogue and the fast-paced action. As an - ahem- older viewer, the 'rewind' button was used on several occasions to take stock and assimilate the plot but this was part of the appeal. I even broke my own rule and re-watched all 3 episodes recently - still enthralling and exciting and I will be cancelling all engagements when the second series is shown. Worth buying the DVD to access the unshown pilot.

Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD]
Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] by Paul McGuigan (DVD - 2010)