5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Sweet Voiced Lady
Eliza grew up near me and is reminiscent of all those care-free girls who enjoy Camden Market, speak with a soft middle-class'ish North London accent and enjoy crazy 'anything-goes' fashion.
This album was a very pleasant surprise. I prefer American folk and Country but heard the song Pack Up was played non stop on various London based radio stations and began to...
Published on 24 Jan 2011 by Mr. B. R. Good

3.0 out of 5 stars Eliz Doolittle
A handful of catchy tunes, light and frivolous. They make me think of summer, which can't be a bad thing.
Published 9 months ago by Kitt

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Eliza Doolitle, 1 April 2011
This review is from: Eliza Doolittle (MP3 Download)
Very catchy songs all the way through. A great album for playing while doing the housework to keep you workng in time to the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eliza Doolittle is just the coolest chick around just now what a brilliant album, it sexy, racy bouncy, 28 Mar 2011
This review is from: Eliza Doolittle (MP3 Download)
A first class album to see Ms Doolittle perform sometime ago now with pack up, the very first song I have ever heard from her I have to say that the album is brilliant would I buy it, a big yes! I may be 57 in 2 weeks but this girl is brillient in everyway, well done you and keep it coming I shall lookout for more of your work, it is like listening to Nora Jones on Ecstasy!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Eliza Doolittle - Eliza Doolittle, 20 Mar 2011
N. Wilson "nigel-wilson" (Bristol, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Eliza Doolittle (Audio CD)
Hot off the heals of supporting roles for the likes of Alphabeat, Jamie Cullum and Paloma Faith, Eliza's music lilts welcomingly into our lives like the lingering kiss of a warm summer breeze - her eclectic style is completely incomparable to anything else, because everything you compare it to pails in comparison.

There have been a lot of links to Lily Allen, mainly because of her softly lilting, slightly cockney sounding voice and occasional choice of choon-style (think 'He Wasn't There' and you're a third of the way there), whereas the rest of her sound is a mix of acoustic jazz, ska, soul and pop, with just a hint of indie chucked in for good measure. Influences run far and wide, from Fleetwood Mac, through The Beach Boys right up to the likes of Radiohead, all at the same time as managing to make a sound that is utterly fresh and unusual whilst sounding like a timeless piece from a 1960's stage musical, if not before.

The sound is summer. There is no possible other way to describe it. She manages to captivate the season with her perfectly jaunty, bubbly ditties in the same way Enya's music will always be winter, and the Sugababes will always be autumn.

The album is a delight from start to finish - the absolute high-point is her second single 'Pack Up' - it's bold and brassy and blissful- and manages to take marching song 'Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit Bag' and use it in a way which sounds neither gimmicky nor rubbish - it just sounds lush!

Beyond that, and previous very-very-good single 'Skinny Genes' - the albums top products are 'Moneybox', 'Police Car' and 'Mr. Medicine', with Fleetwood Mac-influenced and all round pretty song 'Missing' taking the second-top-spot as best song on the album.

Low points? Well there aren't really any. Sometimes the lilting style turns into a meandering plod, like on 'Rollerblades', which means it may be listened to less than some of the rest of the album, but aside from this the album is perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air., 24 Feb 2011
Ms. E. S. Nicholls "music_lover" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eliza Doolittle (Audio CD)
This is a fun album to listen to. Eliza Doolittle's voice is like a breath of fresh air to the music around at the moment. Her album cuts through the junk that I always seem to hear on the radio now-a-days. Fresh, bright and fun melodies fill this album and mixed with her beautiful voice, makes this album a winner for me. This is defiantly an album for the summer and I would recommend this to anyone.
xox

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheers me up!, 9 Jan 2011
This review is from: Eliza Doolittle (Audio CD)
Having been given this album for Christmas by my fiancee, I was quite surprised as I had never heard of Eliza Doolittle the artist. The CD sat in the back seat of my car until the 5th of January until I finally put it on and WOW! Within seconds of the first track starting, I had a huge smile on my face. Out of 13 tracks, I love ten and thats only after 3 days of listening to it. The last song will bring tears to your eyes! Definitely worth buying!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very happy cheerful CD album, 15 Dec 2010
This review is from: Eliza Doolittle (Audio CD)
My wife loved a particular track called "Pack Up Your Troubles"++, but this whole CD is just so sing-along-happy and good for the Christmas Party or any party nights. My wife plays it even when she is cooking, doing housework, and as she says"It makes her feel good". I would recommend this to any one who loves to sing and be happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eliza Doolittle, 6 Nov 2010
This review is from: Eliza Doolittle (Audio CD)
I purchased this cd for my wife but found the songs so entertaining that we now fight over who has it for their car!It`s such a fun sound that it sets me up for the day when I listen to it on my way to work.

5.0 out of 5 stars ELIZA DOOLITTLE? I'VE SNOGGED HER, I HAVE..., 5 Nov 2010
...Well...naah. Not really.
However.
Do buy this album. I got in on the MP3 download. Bleedin' 'ell, guv'nor, what a treat.
Truly, truly whimsical.
Truly, truly delightful.
And it ain't often you get the two together.
Seriously frothy, man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eliza doolittle, 3 Nov 2010
This review is from: Eliza Doolittle (Audio CD)
What a fantastic catchy album..... Only 1 song I was not keen on and thats all!!!! Every other song could be a top chart hit..

5.0 out of 5 stars A very pleasant and listenable album, 1 Nov 2010
R. Oppenheimer "Melville" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eliza Doolittle (Audio CD)
This is a brilliant family album. My children aged 5 and 7 love it. My wife and I also really enjoy listening to it.
The singles are fantastic pop tunes, as you will probably be aware. On first listen I was concerned that some of the songs on the album were jarring (e.g. Go home, a Smokey Room) whilst others were a bit weak (Empty Hand, Police Car). But the quirky nature of Go Home has grown on me and the slightly weaker songs are not that bad.
Two of the other songs on the album, "So High" and "Back to Front" are first rate, classic, genius and as good as anything I have heard from Amy Winehouse, or any other young songstress for that matter. Touching lyrics, lovely tunes and achingly beautiful vocals. I wonder if one of these two will be released as the next single? If EMI have any sense they will do that.
Very much recommended. Five stars. And I am not just saying that because she supports Arsenal.

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›