on 22 August 2009
I remember watching this series in the seventies. It was great viewing, even in b/w because we didn't have colour. After my nan had bought a colour set I watched it at hers and the first thing that struck me was ms Slocombe's hairdo being differently toned in each episode. We used to place bets as to which shade it would be next week. We're almost thirty years on and AYBS is still one of my favourites. I bought the One To Five box, along with subsequent episodes available on single discs, and I find myself rolling with laughter at the innuendoes and gay puns just as I did when I watched it the first time. I just can't get enough of it. Everyting about the series is dated to the core. The set is old fashioned, the cast's wardrobe is screamingly out of fashion and the way the company - Grace Brothers - is run is a rollercoaster ride to disaster. Instead of selling the merchandise the staff engage itself in pointless meetings, ridicule each other over minor shortcomings, prepare for dances and shows or obstruct sales promotions. In effect hardly any item gets sold over the counters at Grace Brother's. And still the staff expect a full paypacket, hand delivered to them each week. They even consider laying off work for payrises. In spite of it being aged it's still great value to watch, even to this day. The sexual innuendoes and double entendres are unbeatable. Almost every line spoken by characters has an underlying meaning. That's what makes it so worthwile, plus the fact I discover something new everytime I put it on. Another thirty years on I'd probably still be watching AYBS occasionally....
on 22 September 2010
Nice new compact boxset. Not one of the best David Croft comedies but still excellent entertainment. However, I thought I'd write this review mainly to inform everyone what additional features are available in this release, something I was unable to discover anywhere before buying it. Like the original releases, it contains all episodes from Series 1-10, Christmas Specials and the documentary 'Funny Women - Mollie Sugden'.

The new 'Bonus Disc' contains the following:

The Biographical Documentaries,

Funny Turns - John Inman (1999)
Life on the Box - Wendy Richard (2001)
Celebrating Mollie Sugden: An Are You Being Served Special

Compilation show, with linking material with John Inman in character,

The Best of Are You Being Served

And a behind the scenes segment from BBC One's Breakfast Time (1983)

So, a nice collection of extras but no outtakes or the re-coloured pilot episode.
1010 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2011
Got this yesterday from Amazon UK.

Comes in a pink box with 12 disks; 11 are the series 1-10 (series 3 consists of 2 disks), including the Christmas specials, and then the extras disk. Packaged vary nicely.

I absolutely love this series and have always enjoyed watching it on TV, and when I saw this box set I just had to get it. The episodes were always vary funny and entertaining with some great characters (my favourite being Capt. Peacock). It was full of innuendo and smutty jokes but never anything distasteful, and no swearing!

The box set has English subtitles for the hard of hearing and the episodes/disks are exactly the same as the individual disks you can buy albeit with a different colour/picture on the disks themselves.

It is a great shame that all but one of the main actors in AYBS are now dead (Nicholas Smith who played Mr Rumbold being the exception at time of writing this).

I would have loved to work in the Menswear Dept of Grace Brother's Department Store with all those characters.

The extras are: "Funny Turns" with John Inman; "Life On The Box" with Wendy Richard (who later went on to be the sour-faced Pauline Fowler from Eastenders); The Best of Are You Being Served?; Celebrating Mollie Sugden; and the appearance of the AYBS team on BBC One's Breakfast Time in 1983.

This is a fantastic boxset that comprises all the AYBS episodes ever made, and is a must for any fan of the series. I bet they couldn't get away with making this sort of show these days!
on 12 September 2008
Comedy at it's best, the sort you can't get nowadays. It's not allowed. And if you thought that Wendy Richard was just the stodgy old bint in Eastenders, have a look at this . You'll get the shock of your life. The first episode in series one is in black and white, the rest in colour, which will give you an idea of the age of it. But it's lost nothing in the years between. In fact, it's far better than anything labelled as comedy in the last 5 years. One of the best things that will come up your garden path. Enjoy.
on 11 August 2013
I remember watching this series as a teenager and loving it. My teenaged son has
now discovered it and absolutely loves it. It is delightful to hear his
laughter as he watches each episode and to be able to revisit some enjoyable
times from my childhood with him.
on 20 January 2010
Wonderfull

I've enjoyed it so much that I need to buy the next compleet series 6-10!
on 27 April 2013
This series is a British comedy classic, with star performances from Mollie Sugden, (who plays Mrs. Slocombe) and John Inman, (who plays "I'm free!" Mr. Humpfries).

The plots were whacky and wild, but had humour. Recommended.
on 21 October 2013
Made us laugh which is more than can be said for most modern day efforts.A real treat to watch this show once more.
on 28 February 2013
I have been a fan of AYBS since it first aired on TV back in the 1970s. I had managed to collect the odd episode from local TV re-re-airings during the 1980s and 1990s, complete with annoying commercial breaks, but with so many episodes chopped up and/or missing, it was very difficult to enjoy.

However, when I saw this complete boxed set from Amazon, I jumped at the chance to become re-acquainted with this classic comedy series. They are all there - even ones that I don't recall ever seeing before, and the video transfer is excellent.

Some of the gags and other references are topical, and steeped in the 1970s, which may leave younger viewers a little bemused, but there are genuine laughs in every episode. The assembled cast members work so well together that it is difficult to imagine anyone else playing their parts.

This BBC boxed set is packaged in a well-designed clear plastic case, which opens like a book. The DVD discs are securely held in their place, and a printed episode list guides you through the various episode titles.

Well worth the money!
on 5 July 2015
I love this set, the packaging is so incredibly smart the way the digi trays are like pages in a book that are so secure not a single disc slipped its holder on its way to the USA.. I wish the States would use this type of packaging it would end disc damage from rough handling.
Are You Being Served is an American favorite Britcom, I haven't laughed this hardily since watching Keeping up Appearances.. The 70's are like the golden age of British television with so many great shows.
Love this set it is the complete 10 seasons with Christmas specials, to bad the first episode is in black & white since so where out their is a colorized version. The extras in this set are a lot of fun to watch, seeing these old British stalwart actors & actresses being discussed and appreciated for their contributions to the show leaves you with a smile on your face.. My AYBS is sitting right next to my AYBS Again set and now it's complete!

Highly Recommend, this set is Brilliant.. Blind buyers you will not regret buying this!