5.0 out of 5 stars This series definitely goes out with a bang
What I like about Steven Moffat's writing is how he plays on connotations so we all expect the 'Big Bang' to be a huge FX, all-exploding, loud finale while, infact most of the big bangs here are all felt inside and character driven. It's amazing that the ideas behind this finale are so huge on the sci- fi front but work eloquently on an intimate level too. Sublime stuff...
Published on 13 July 2010 by Langella

2.0 out of 5 stars A very over rated finale combined with two enjoyable episodes.
I would have rated this three stars as it has the excellent episode "Vincent and The Doctor" on it, as well as the very enjoyable episode "The Lodger" but the finale was so bad that three stars would be suggesting I'm giving it more credit than it deserves.

I did actually rather enjoy The Pandorica Opens as I first watched it, but sadly its god awful follow up,...
Published on 1 Sep 2010 by Leon K Fox

4.0 out of 5 stars definitely a great series, 31 Aug 2010
Overall, I think Matt Smith's first season is an excellent season. Mr. Smith makes a very believable Doctor. Mysteries, comical, deadly, and adventurous--all of these nuances come together into the new Doctor that we find ourselves adventuring with. He reminds me a bit of the 2nd Doctor and the 7th Doctor mixed together--at least in personality and ways of dealing with the enemies he faces. Most of the stories get at the least a four star rating from me. The stories are fast pace, hyperactive, and just plain magical.

I've enjoyed the renewed series starting with the 9th Doctor, but as some would point out, RTD's has gotten a bit muddled by the final stories of the 10th Doctor. I like the dark storylines, being a fan of the Virgin novels, but I kind of wished the "closure" of the Time War would have been a bit more epic than it was (at least my opinion on the last storyline of the 10th Doc). Not that the final stories of the 10th Doctor weren't wonderful stories, just that the 11th Doctor needed a fresh start with new ideas and new directions. You get that with this season.

Each of the stories bring about the best in the new Doctor. Whether he faces the Weeping Angels or the Daleks, there is a fresh energy about all that the 11th Doctor does. It would have been a bit more enjoyable if the vampires in this season were tied a bit more to the ones Tom Baker met, and even the ones from the Virgin novels...but alas you cannot always get what you want. I guess this is just the Doctor Who stickler in me to want all of it put together into the story.

As this is the final DVD from the new season, we find ourselves focusing on the mystery the Doctor keeps facing throughout the stories. The story arch about the crack in time and space is very imaginative. The crack is threatening and menacing, but it is only the outer layer of the onion so to speak. Pandorica is also a very interesting addition to the Doctor Who mythos. I like that we get more of River Song, and I do have my own idea as to who she really is, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. When the time comes, there is a very fairytale kind of conclusion in "the Big Bang." But that really isn't the end. The fact that (like the earlier seasons) you do not get a full closure by the end of this season makes me wish the next season would come sooner.

In the end, I have enjoyed all of the stories and I am looking forward to the next season of Mr. Smith.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's time to start building up..., 1 July 2010
C. Disley "who fan" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 4 [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
New cast, new production team, new budget... so to be honest, we had to go into this series with an open mind, just knowing that it would be different to the last five years. To be fair, after the "not-so-special" specials, the show needed a re-work, at least from my perspective. It needed a strong, energetic and fun start and The Eleventh Hour delivered. After that, it needed to not only appeal to new fans (a great jumping on point for many) but also current fans aswell. Did it work? To an extent, yes.

Overnight viewing figures declined, yes, but stop going on about it because you are missing the bigger picture. Iplayer records have been broken by Doctor Who this year and timeshift ratings are higher than ever before. People ARE still watching, but a mix of the world cup, hot weather and unconsistant scheduling has cut the live ratings. Some episodes even did better than their previous series' counterparts overall! Just remember that the lowest ratings since 2005 in it's normal timeslot was due to a world cup match...

But the series itself, I've said it again and I'll say it again, Matt Smith most certainly is the Doctor and the 11th incarnation has more alien qualities about him than both 9 and 10. Anyone still sitting on their high horse named "The tenth doctor 4eva" after a full series, needs to ride off and never come back as far as I'm concerned - the series could do without you, it really could.

Yes, this series had it's weak points and yes there was the odd filler episode. Can it improve? Yes. Will it improve? Most likely. Every show needs to find it's feet and with the amount of changes that have taken place behind and in front of the screen, Series 5 may aswell have been a different show so with the right support (not just by the BBC X_X), it should be able to build up on what we've had thus far and really go places. Can it be done? Hell yes, it can. It was always going to be a case of finding out what worked and what didn't with so many new people in so many new positions so yes, hopefully, it can only get better...

Regardless of any setbacks this series - I really enjoyed it and I'm unashamed to say so and give the new team my full support.

In terms of this disc, it contains two of THE best episodes this series. The Pandorica Opens and The Big Bang. Playing with time is fun, once you get your head around. Fezzes are cool, everyone. Peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
Good DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 13 April 2014
The main attraction of this DVD is the epic 2-part finale that is surely the best of the Matt Smith era and of all of Moffat's episodes. Also included is 'the lodger' which is harmless fun and allows us to see just how much of an 'Alien' the doctor is by putting him in an ordinary suburban setting. Highly Recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Time Lords. And Fantastic Season, 23 Dec 2013
FANTASTIC...

as i will keep saying. Matt Smith possibly my favorite time lord of all time.
just fantastic to see him bring this character to life. action. comedy. and suspense.

Great ending to the season. VERY VERY HAPPY. awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous as always, 3 Nov 2013
my young son is an avid dr who fan and i do have to admit i can see why, ive rather started enjoying reliving my dr who days as a child through the latest doctor. Great storylines, fab characters and effects etc.... you cant help but watch ..fabulous

5.0 out of 5 stars Who, 7 Jun 2013
Recommend for anyone who is particularly interested in Van Gough. Lovely twist to his life story. Amusing and very atmospheric.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classical, 1 Jun 2013
Vincent one of the all time classics plus the pandorica a good story well acted and directed maintaining your interest

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who Series 5 Vol. 4, 3 May 2013
Adventures in time and space with the Eleventh Doctor and his companion Amy Pond.

Vincent and the Doctor: The Doctor and Amy Pond meet Vincent van Gogh... And an ancient, terrifying monster.

The Lodger: The Doctor must solve the mystery of a staircase that people go up but never go down.

The Pandorica Opens: The Doctor confronts an army of old enemies, and the Pandorica opens...

The Big Bang: Reality's last hope is a little girl who still believes in stars.

05 - 26 Jun 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars grandson loved it, 12 Mar 2013
This is a great item and I would most certainly recommend it to others.
It is worth every penny paid for it.

Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 4 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]