5.0 out of 5 stars This series definitely goes out with a bang
Published on 13 July 2010 by Langella

2.0 out of 5 stars A very over rated finale combined with two enjoyable episodes.
I would have rated this three stars as it has the excellent episode "Vincent and The Doctor" on it, as well as the very enjoyable episode "The Lodger" but the finale was so bad that three stars would be suggesting I'm giving it more credit than it deserves.

I did actually rather enjoy The Pandorica Opens as I first watched it, but sadly its god awful follow up,...
Published on 1 Sep 2010 by Leon K Fox

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This series definitely goes out with a bang, 13 July 2010
What I like about Steven Moffat's writing is how he plays on connotations so we all expect the 'Big Bang' to be a huge FX, all-exploding, loud finale while, infact most of the big bangs here are all felt inside and character driven. It's amazing that the ideas behind this finale are so huge on the sci- fi front but work eloquently on an intimate level too. Sublime stuff. Vincent's story was heartbreaking too. This really is 'the little show that can'!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic season finale!, 30 Jun 2010
Amazing. The word that pretty much describes the finale. I loved that all the doctors previous foes returned in this
epic 2 part finale to in prison the doctor inside the Pandorica. The Scene where Amy is at her wedding and she begins to remember the doctor is a truly magical moment and one of the best moments of series 1-5, for me personally.
I recommend buying this DVD if you loved the finale, but then again, WHO DIDN'T!? I would just like to remind people that doctor who has barely lost any viewers, says the bbc. They say that "more people today are watching programmes on demand (that's true) and this series has been no exception. people don't want to miss doctor who and I'm sure it's going to be on our television screens for many, many years to come." I've loved every moment of this series (well, almost) and I hope you have to. ALSO I must say that i love the new Daleks, I loved this series and I can't wait for the Christmas special

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant end to a brilliant season!, 20 Sep 2010
Wow!!

The four episodes on this dvd are among the four best episodes ever made of the show since its creation way back in the 60's. Vincent and the Doctor is the most touching story I have ever seen on Doctor Who, and Tony Curran who plays Vincent was perfectly cast and incredibly moving. Matt Smith's performance in this one touched on the buffoon on one or two occasions, sadly, but made up for it magnificently otherwise, especially in the touching and heartwarming conclusion.

The Lodger introduced me to James Corden for the first time, and he made a nice job of it. The story itself was clever, although the resolution was rather idiotic in my opinion, but all the same the concept of the Doctor having to live a normal life for a few days and seeing him wrestle with ordinary day to day things was a scream. This episode I found hugely entertaining, and it left me with an intriguing question...Who was responsible for trying to build a Tardis on top of a house?

The Pandorica Opens and The Big Bang, the two final episodes on this dvd....wow! Even the Doctor did not forsee that he himself was the terrible monster that was to be locked in the fabled Pandorica. Taking both episodes as one story, it was complex, to say the least, but the story was so well told and well shot in my opinion, that I for one had no trouble following it easily. The use of Stonehenge was awesome, and how ingenious to return to several of the Doctor's previous adventures during the finale. The Doctor's touching talk with Amy in the forest in episode 5 had stood out in my mind more than any other in that particular episode, and with the finale, we had the satisfaction of understanding very clearly why he was wearing his jacket, and exactly what he meant by "Remember!" Matt Smith was brilliant and moving in all these episodes, and in the final two in particular; but even so a lot depended on Karen Gillan's performance, and with the Big Bang especially, she really proves that she deserves her place on the Tardis. An awesome piece of television!

All in all, the entire season was totally amazing, and these four stories are among the best. If you prefer to be selective and buy only those stories you enjoy rather than the whole thing when it becomes available, then you certainly cannot go wrong with this dvd!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Spectacular Finale! Brilliant!, 13 July 2010
This disc contains 4 very solid episodes of 'Doctor Who'. 'The Doctor and Vincent' is on course to be the best Doctor story ever dealing with the subject of bi-polar disorder but alas it doesn't qualify because it is ruined by the the 'Giant Chicken' GCI!! For goodness' sakes if the monster was a metaphor for Van Gogh's depression surely, it could have been more subtle and disturbing and less garish and laughable? But a bloody good episode nevertheless. 'The Lodger' is simply lovely and even James Corden is watchable (because he's toned down) in it. One gripe here - the music drowned out the denouement so I couldn't work out why the snogging saved the day. 'The Pandorica Opens' - the writing (the title as well) just kept you well away from its reveal/cliffhanger, so well done Moff on yor literary skills there. Cracking stuff here - Daleks, Sontarans, Sycorax, Cybermen and Romans mix together well! BTW, easily contains the BEST Cyberman scene ever & the most poignant 'death' of a companion scene too! 'The Big Bang' by far is simply the most beautiful 'Doctor Who' story ever told. You just have to love it to bits. It's got complicated Timey-Wimey bits, alien explosions and intimate character moments to warm your cockles all at the same time. A I said before BRING ON SEASON 6!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Finale, 27 Aug 2010
KAT "tatethegr8" (Kettering Northants) - See all my reviews
I know not everyone has taken to Matt Smiths 'New Who' - and honestly, that is up to them, they are entitled to their own opinion. But this is mine - The Finale of Doctor Who absoloutly rocked!!! I was expecting a CGI/special effect extravaganza, but in actual fact I was pleasently surprised, and I liked how the red-herrings cleverly scattered throughout the series were neatly tied up through the Doctors mononlogue to little Amelia (truly heartbreaking!!!) - while all the time keeping the 'silence will fall' element still hanging in the air.

I have to admit though, that while I did enjoy 'The Pandorica Opens' and 'The Big Bang' the real heartbreaker-tearjerking-crying-by-the-end episode was 'Vincent & The Doctor' - so cleverly written and thoroughly sad but heartwarmingly lovely all at the same time. Particularly that hearbreaking monologue at the end by Professor Black on why Vincent Van Gough was the greatest painter that ever lived. Tony Curren was amazing in his portrayal of the tortured genius and I really believe Richard Curtis who wrote the episode brought Manic Depression and Insanity to the forefront of the story in a way that made it understandable for the younger viewers. So wonderful and poignant was this episode that it stuck in my mind for days after and I couldn't get it out of my head. Definitly the new 'Blink' episode of Series 5.

The two finale episodes were also very good and equally poignant. Amy Ponds final 'Something old, Something New, Something Borrowed...Something Blue'[Cue TARDIS arrival] when she finally remembers The Doctor actually sent a shiver down my spine. I also liked the whole idea of the Pandorica housing the most dangerous thing that ever lived; 'The Monster Soaked in the Blood of a Thousand Galaxies'. But I believe it was blatantly obvious from the get-go who the most feared being in all the cosmos would turn out to be! I also liked the idea of all the Doctors greatest enemies standing united to see him imprisoned in the Pandorica - however, I believe they could have been utilised a lot more, it seemed to be a case 'blink and you miss them' and the fact that you only saw them for about 5 minutes was slightly dissapointing - I would have liked to see a lot more action from the old enemies, and in the end it seemed pointless in bringing them all back.

'The Lodger', the other episode on this DVD kind of pales into insignificance behind 'Vincent and The Doctor' and the two final episodes, and kind of felt like a filler episode to me - much in the same way that '42' and 'Love and Monsters' did in the previous series - although the storyline itself was much better than the previous filler episodes and James Corden was great!

For me though, Matt Smiths first series of the show went out with the 'Big Bang' that it deserved, and I'm sure (and hope) he has succefully proved a lot of his doubters wrong. If he hasn't then its a shame, and you don't like him thats fine, thats your perogative. But I think both him and Karen Gillan as The Doctor and Amy Pond (not to mention the hilarious Rory Williams) have breathed new life into Doctor Who - and I for one can't wait for the next installment of their story.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!!, 7 Aug 2010
I thought the new series wouldn't make it after loving the David Tennant seasons, but how wrong was I!!! A FANTASTIC Doctor, a FANTASTIC companion and FANTASTIC stories! My favourite easily being The Lodger, or The Big Bang...It's hard to choose!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, 3 July 2010
A fantastic end to a fabulous series. Matt Smith is spellbinding as the Doctor. Roll on Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who, 19 Nov 2010
I'm beginning to like Matt Smith more and more as the Doctor. Karen Gillan also shows she has a lot more expressions than the average companion. It's a pity that the same can't be said for her character's fiancé !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Viewing, 25 Dec 2011
Bought this purely for the Vincent Van Gogh episode which has be to one of the most moving classics of the current Doctor Series. Tony Curran's superb portrayal of Vincent underpinned by Bill Nigh's pivotal character truly is heartwrenching. Accompanied by the other great episodes, it's no wonder Dr.Who is such a massive success. The creative expertise from all those in the entire Production process, showcases globally, British talent at the Industry's best. Excellent entainment value for the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars good episodes, 18 Sep 2010
Mrs. D. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
vincent van gough is a brillaint episode not so doctor who type and thats why its a good story i give that 4 out of 5.
the lodger what a funny and simple storyline it wasn the best but sure was funny i give it 3 out of 5
the pandorica opens is one of the best episodes ever the way it all comes together is sheer rillaince i give that 4 out of 5
the big bang is masterpiece of work the peisode is so well put toegyher 5out of 5

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›