5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant end to a brilliant season!
Wow!!

Published on 20 Sept. 2010 by Lilli de la Field

1.0 out of 5 stars BRING BACK CHRISTOPHER & DAVID PLEASE !!!
I'm sorry, it must be me !!!! I cannot get into Matt Smith as the 11th doctor at all I will alway's mantain that David Tennant was the best and after that Christopher Eccleston, when the BBC brought back Dr Who back in 2005 I was really impressed and glad they had given it a fresh start again, and so my collection began and I loved all the episodes right through Eccleston...
Published on 7 Oct. 2012 by mitchy59

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant end to a brilliant season!, 20 Sept. 2010
Wow!!

The four episodes on this dvd are among the four best episodes ever made of the show since its creation way back in the 60's. Vincent and the Doctor is the most touching story I have ever seen on Doctor Who, and Tony Curran who plays Vincent was perfectly cast and incredibly moving. Matt Smith's performance in this one touched on the buffoon on one or two occasions, sadly, but made up for it magnificently otherwise, especially in the touching and heartwarming conclusion.

The Lodger introduced me to James Corden for the first time, and he made a nice job of it. The story itself was clever, although the resolution was rather idiotic in my opinion, but all the same the concept of the Doctor having to live a normal life for a few days and seeing him wrestle with ordinary day to day things was a scream. This episode I found hugely entertaining, and it left me with an intriguing question...Who was responsible for trying to build a Tardis on top of a house?

The Pandorica Opens and The Big Bang, the two final episodes on this dvd....wow! Even the Doctor did not forsee that he himself was the terrible monster that was to be locked in the fabled Pandorica. Taking both episodes as one story, it was complex, to say the least, but the story was so well told and well shot in my opinion, that I for one had no trouble following it easily. The use of Stonehenge was awesome, and how ingenious to return to several of the Doctor's previous adventures during the finale. The Doctor's touching talk with Amy in the forest in episode 5 had stood out in my mind more than any other in that particular episode, and with the finale, we had the satisfaction of understanding very clearly why he was wearing his jacket, and exactly what he meant by "Remember!" Matt Smith was brilliant and moving in all these episodes, and in the final two in particular; but even so a lot depended on Karen Gillan's performance, and with the Big Bang especially, she really proves that she deserves her place on the Tardis. An awesome piece of television!

All in all, the entire season was totally amazing, and these four stories are among the best. If you prefer to be selective and buy only those stories you enjoy rather than the whole thing when it becomes available, then you certainly cannot go wrong with this dvd!

5.0 out of 5 stars This series definitely goes out with a bang, 13 July 2010
This review is from: Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 4 [DVD] (DVD)
What I like about Steven Moffat's writing is how he plays on connotations so we all expect the 'Big Bang' to be a huge FX, all-exploding, loud finale while, infact most of the big bangs here are all felt inside and character driven. It's amazing that the ideas behind this finale are so huge on the sci- fi front but work eloquently on an intimate level too. Sublime stuff. Vincent's story was heartbreaking too. This really is 'the little show that can'!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic season finale!, 30 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 4 [DVD] (DVD)
Amazing. The word that pretty much describes the finale. I loved that all the doctors previous foes returned in this
epic 2 part finale to in prison the doctor inside the Pandorica. The Scene where Amy is at her wedding and she begins to remember the doctor is a truly magical moment and one of the best moments of series 1-5, for me personally.
I recommend buying this DVD if you loved the finale, but then again, WHO DIDN'T!? I would just like to remind people that doctor who has barely lost any viewers, says the bbc. They say that "more people today are watching programmes on demand (that's true) and this series has been no exception. people don't want to miss doctor who and I'm sure it's going to be on our television screens for many, many years to come." I've loved every moment of this series (well, almost) and I hope you have to. ALSO I must say that i love the new Daleks, I loved this series and I can't wait for the Christmas special

5.0 out of 5 stars A Spectacular Finale! Brilliant!, 13 July 2010
This review is from: Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 4 [DVD] (DVD)
This disc contains 4 very solid episodes of 'Doctor Who'. 'The Doctor and Vincent' is on course to be the best Doctor story ever dealing with the subject of bi-polar disorder but alas it doesn't qualify because it is ruined by the the 'Giant Chicken' GCI!! For goodness' sakes if the monster was a metaphor for Van Gogh's depression surely, it could have been more subtle and disturbing and less garish and laughable? But a bloody good episode nevertheless. 'The Lodger' is simply lovely and even James Corden is watchable (because he's toned down) in it. One gripe here - the music drowned out the denouement so I couldn't work out why the snogging saved the day. 'The Pandorica Opens' - the writing (the title as well) just kept you well away from its reveal/cliffhanger, so well done Moff on yor literary skills there. Cracking stuff here - Daleks, Sontarans, Sycorax, Cybermen and Romans mix together well! BTW, easily contains the BEST Cyberman scene ever & the most poignant 'death' of a companion scene too! 'The Big Bang' by far is simply the most beautiful 'Doctor Who' story ever told. You just have to love it to bits. It's got complicated Timey-Wimey bits, alien explosions and intimate character moments to warm your cockles all at the same time. A I said before BRING ON SEASON 6!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars definitely a great series, 31 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 4 [DVD] (DVD)
Overall, I think Matt Smith's first season is an excellent season. Mr. Smith makes a very believable Doctor. Mysteries, comical, deadly, and adventurous--all of these nuances come together into the new Doctor that we find ourselves adventuring with. He reminds me a bit of the 2nd Doctor and the 7th Doctor mixed together--at least in personality and ways of dealing with the enemies he faces. Most of the stories get at the least a four star rating from me. The stories are fast pace, hyperactive, and just plain magical.

I've enjoyed the renewed series starting with the 9th Doctor, but as some would point out, RTD's has gotten a bit muddled by the final stories of the 10th Doctor. I like the dark storylines, being a fan of the Virgin novels, but I kind of wished the "closure" of the Time War would have been a bit more epic than it was (at least my opinion on the last storyline of the 10th Doc). Not that the final stories of the 10th Doctor weren't wonderful stories, just that the 11th Doctor needed a fresh start with new ideas and new directions. You get that with this season.

Each of the stories bring about the best in the new Doctor. Whether he faces the Weeping Angels or the Daleks, there is a fresh energy about all that the 11th Doctor does. It would have been a bit more enjoyable if the vampires in this season were tied a bit more to the ones Tom Baker met, and even the ones from the Virgin novels...but alas you cannot always get what you want. I guess this is just the Doctor Who stickler in me to want all of it put together into the story.

As this is the final DVD from the new season, we find ourselves focusing on the mystery the Doctor keeps facing throughout the stories. The story arch about the crack in time and space is very imaginative. The crack is threatening and menacing, but it is only the outer layer of the onion so to speak. Pandorica is also a very interesting addition to the Doctor Who mythos. I like that we get more of River Song, and I do have my own idea as to who she really is, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. When the time comes, there is a very fairytale kind of conclusion in "the Big Bang." But that really isn't the end. The fact that (like the earlier seasons) you do not get a full closure by the end of this season makes me wish the next season would come sooner.

In the end, I have enjoyed all of the stories and I am looking forward to the next season of Mr. Smith.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!!, 7 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I thought the new series wouldn't make it after loving the David Tennant seasons, but how wrong was I!!! A FANTASTIC Doctor, a FANTASTIC companion and FANTASTIC stories! My favourite easily being The Lodger, or The Big Bang...It's hard to choose!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, 3 July 2010
This review is from: Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 4 [DVD] (DVD)
A fantastic end to a fabulous series. Matt Smith is spellbinding as the Doctor. Roll on Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of Series Five, 29 Aug. 2012
Dickie "The Bear" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 4 [DVD] (DVD)
The fifth series may not differ in terms of structure from the first four of the revived series but it certainly one that stands taller, in my opinion, when you revisit it and rediscover, or even discover for the first time, some absolute jems and this set arguably showcases best. The two part finale may be the biggest talking point but it's the prior two episodes that stand out; 'Vincent and the Doctor' and 'The Lodger'.

'Vincent and the Doctor' joins each previous series by adding a historical figure to the story and this one stands tallest of all by portraying an imperfect, damaged person rather than the towering idol portrayed in earlier historical stories such as 'The Unquiet Dead' and 'The Shakespeare Code'. 'Vincent and the Doctor' is the most saddest episode since 'The Girl in the Fireplace' but also feels maturer and doesn't shy away from a very un-Doctor Who like subject; depression. The episode isn't a downbeat affair by any means as it is uplifting and will probably create a few more Van Gogh fans in the making; 'Vincent and the Doctor' is one of the great highlights of the series and should not be overlooked.

'The Lodger' on paper sounds very bland when you think back over a series that has featured starships, WW2 London, Weeping Angels and an underground city. But throw in the unique charisma and clownish charm of Matt Smith's Doctor into a relatively normal setting then you'll realise actually why haven't they done this sooner? It's difficult to imagine that this episode would've worked with Eccelston, David Tennant could definitely manage it but Smith knocks it out of the park. Smith enjoys great chemistry with James Cordon, it's a great laugh and easily the most entertaining episodes of New Who we've yet experienced.

Now onto the 'important' stuff. The series finale approaches in a different manner than before; the threat has already been specified and laid out en route to the penultimate episode 'The Pandorica Opens' and whilst initially it feels like it may be another overblown final story that we became used to seeing under RTD; it turns into something else entirely. Boasting a few nice surprises along the way, this is a different type of finale and 'The Pandorica Opens' offers a bold twist to shock the viewers to turn everything on its head for the finale. 'The Big Bang' is boldest of all, a big timey whimey twisty affair that may infuriate devotees of the 'science of time travel' and may condemn Steven Moffat for his casual use of time twists, but the rest of us should enjoy a visually quirky and stylish finale that also has some emotion to it as well. This isn't a review to spoil things so I won't go into much details except to say that this wasn't my favourite finales ever but I still thought it was a clever and bold new direction for Moffat to take and that alone deserves high praise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who - Series 5, Vol 4 (2010), 28 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 4 [DVD] (DVD)
Let's start with the title menu, good layout, really gets you going for when the episodes start. No Faults. Let's get Critical. ''Vincent & The Doctor'' - too ginger. I love the snicket on the back of the dvd. "never has saving the world ever been so ginger". Good opening, loved the scene's with Bill Nighy, can't complain on his portrayal as the slightly humourous curator/director of the Art Gallery. Humerous opening from Smith & Gillan as always, my personal favourite regarding the opening was the café scene. Really well played. Curran as 'Van Gough' was well casted, almost type cast. I love how the story played out the torment that van gough lived through, in a alternate way. Anyway overall the episode was good, not great, but good. Minus the filming error, where eleven gets thrown back, and the rope is very visable, it had left me scanning every scene for more errors... no such luck. Moving on to my favourite episode of the series "The Lodger" with James Cordon as 'Craig Owens'. Slighty ominous but hilarious opening, was rather too sweet, almost sickly watching Craig swoon over the love of his life. Hilarious first scene with Smith yet again, (loved the french kissing greeting, rather humourous) and the £3,000 in the paper bag! Genius. Overall no bad points regarding this episode, minus the 'man up stairs' (rather pointless monster). Top two favourite scenes. 1. Smith's nonsense talking whilst Cordon listens in, 2. Smith querying football, (is that the one with sticks?) really amusing. Now we move on to 'The Pandorica Opens' and 'The Big Bang', brilliant conclusion story, nice to see River Song back, loved the scene with the guard in the cell, and the very amusing self portrait. The conclusion with River Song, was very well played out. Favourite scenes.
1. The Doctor announces love for the fez's. They're cool. 2. The opening scene, of Amy in the Pandorica, didn't expect that. 3. The scene where Auton Rory shoots poor amy, i almost shed a tear. and that's tough for a man like me. Generally i loved the DVD, and it's certainly one i could watch again and again.

Buy It ! Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 4 [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who, 19 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I'm beginning to like Matt Smith more and more as the Doctor. Karen Gillan also shows she has a lot more expressions than the average companion. It's a pity that the same can't be said for her character's fiancé !

Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 4 [DVD]
Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 4 [DVD] by Matt Smith (DVD - 2010)