5.0 out of 5 stars Very Engaging
Enjoyed the book, very well written. I have important exam coming but once I started to read it, could not put it down, and for 69p on Kindle money well spent! Now going to buy his other titles again at 69p on Kindle!!
Published on 5 Jun 2011 by Kab

2.0 out of 5 stars Average...
I never buy a book without reading the reviews and, as this had reasonable reviews I thought I'd give it a go. It is as many people have said an easy read which you can rattle through but I found it predictable and not particularly original. Many stories have been written about the 'missing scrolls' which would change world view on religion but this book only skims over...
Published on 7 July 2012 by Clydach

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Engaging, 5 Jun 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Should really be 4.5, 24 May 2011
BookBliss (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Eighth Scroll (Kindle Edition)
This book so nearly got 5 stars with me that I'm almost disappointed that it didn't. The reason I felt I couldn't give it 5 stars is because the first chapter is really hard going, I really struggled to get through the opening of The Eighth Scroll and was slightly wary that if the whole book was written in the same way then I wouldn't make it through, I shouldn't have worried, once it hit the modern day it was engaging and I was completely immersed in the storyline.

When I was asked to review this I was told that Dr Laurence Brown was being referred to as "the other Brown" in reference to the likeness of this storyline to those books produced by Dan Brown, I loved The Da Vinci Code and have actually read all of the Dan Brown novels so if there was another author on the market who wrote a similar style of novel then I was definitely interested. I didn't really know anything about the Dead Sea Scrolls other than they were something to do with religion but I figured that religion always provided an interesting backdrop to a novel and it backed up the theory that Dr Brown was heading down a similar route to Dan Brown.

The actual storyline of The Eighth Scroll was brilliant and I felt that I could relate to all of the characters. One of the things that I liked is that Dr Brown has a strong belief in God but also has a very specific view of religion. Some of the things that he writes may be considered controversial to a number of people who have strong beliefs but, having studied religion as a teenager, I was thrilled that he highlighted areas of the bible which contradict other areas, something that has always frustrated me. I also liked that I felt I was being educated on a number of things concerning religion without actually being lectured to, something which is quite difficult to achieve when tackling such a complex subject.

In conclusion I thought that The Eighth Scroll was a brilliant book and I hope that Dr Brown enjoys the same success as Dan Brown has as he definitely deserves it and I can't wait to read whatever he publishes next.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 7 July 2011
This review is from: The Eighth Scroll (Kindle Edition)
I found this book fantastic, could not put it down and went on to purchase his other non fiction book. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Indiana Jones eat your heart out, 2 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Eighth Scroll (Paperback)
One of the most immersive books I have ever read. I really felt like I was apart of an Indiana Jones Temple of Doom adventure! The subtle humour was wickedly dry at times and a delightful aspect which ran throughout the book. The treasure hunt, predicaments and storyline had a Mission Impossible-esque feeling to it, perhaps a little too much hollywood in it but still thoroughly intriguing and enjoyable. The historical and theological discussions and indeed conspiracies that took place were intriguing and on a more serious note integral to our own lives/souls. If you haven't picked up a novel in a long time, this is a good place to start. I didn't put the book down till I had finished it and I recommend it to everyone. I hope the author has more books like this in the pipeline. God Willing!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good disguise, 1 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Eighth Scroll (Kindle Edition)
This is such an entertaining read! A thriller, a mystery and an archealogical dig all in one book - plus a theology lesson and a major debunk of accepted Christianity. A very clever way for the author to present his serious theories to a wider audience. But a good read nonetheless.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 11 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Eighth Scroll (Kindle Edition)
This is an interesting book. I found it quite a page turner and for the price it was good value. I will be trying other titles by this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Eighth Scroll, 9 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Eighth Scroll (Kindle Edition)
When archaeologist Gerald Hansen receives a cryptic phone call from one of his friends, he rushes half way around the world to the dig where his friend is working, dragging along his son Michael. What they find there completely changes their lives forever. It would seem there is another Dead Sea scroll which has never been found, and it will completely change the face of religion as we know it. The trouble is, they aren't the only ones looking for it, and it will be a life or death race to find it first...

When I was asked to review this book, it was compared to The Da Vinci Code, which is a book I really enjoyed. I am always wary though, when a book is said to be 'like' another, because usually they fall a little short. In this case I can definitely see why the comparison is made, but personally I think Brown can stand with his own merit though, this is a fantastic book. I'm not a follower of any religion, but it has always fascinated me, and so mixed with the gripping thriller aspect as well, made for a really great read. It is immediately clear that this was a subject the author knew a lot about or researched very throughly, and it is all written in a very understandable way for people who do not necessarily know a lot about the three religions spoken about. I liked the characters involved, and thought it was a great move to switch narrators part way through the book. For me, I enjoyed savouring this book over the course of a few days, it gave me time to digest each section of information and think about the story, but I can definitely see it being a book that is impossible to put down as well. I would definitely recommend this to fans of religious thrillers, if you liked The Da Vinci Code, I can assure you this is just as good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brown takes a Scroll on the wild side, 24 July 2010
Billy J. Hobbs "Bill Hobbs" (Tyler, TX USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Eighth Scroll (Paperback)
Having been awakened early (really early) in the morning by his friend and colleague, Frank Tones, Dr. Gerald Hansen (noted professor) is asked, "fancy a little jaunt?" And little does the good doctor realize just how much of a "jaunt" his immediate future would be. But it's 3 a.m. and he's not ready to be convinced of much, at this hour. "It's not our lives I fear for. It's our souls." That clinches it. ASAP Dr Hansen and 15-year-old son Michael are jetting it to Nubia. Yes, Nubia, and thus begins another exciting episode of "the lost" something or other of Christiandom.

This time, the Dead Sea Scrolls--and this new discovery could just possibly be the long-lost Gospel of James, at least. Needless to say, anything that could undermine the principles (as well as history) of Christianity becomes a sensitive issue, one that various agencies around the world (CIA, Mossad, the Vatican, and the Good Lord only knows who else)would kill (and/or die) for.

As large a stake as it is, author Dr. Laurence B. Brown, though, seems well in control of the narrative string. His characters work well and the style of writing is fast-paced, not too isoteric, and he covers a lot of literary and historical ground here. Having been to the Middle East and to Qumran a number of times as well as a student of history and Christianity, I found Brown's power of description and his landscape and atmosphere convincing and real.

"The Eighth Scroll" is worth a read (with an open mind is preferable).

5.0 out of 5 stars What a nice book!, 9 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Eighth Scroll (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the most enjoying and interesting books I've read. I'm eagerly waiting for more! Worth every penny of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars read it in two nights...couldn't put it down., 9 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Eighth Scroll (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic...read it. The only book that I can truly say links Judaism to Christianity to Islam. Is it all fiction? well; I don't think its. The storyline may be, but the message behind the book is very much alive to date from the days the Jewish decided to reject Christ, and the Christians promoted him to divinity! Some deep theological messages for some maybe, but overall educating and enjoyable.

The Eighth Scroll