Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.47

on 22 January 2013
Marten Kluge is trapped into fighting for the High Born and turned into a human bullet sent into space as the human weapon contained in a missile on a suicide mission shattering his plans for escape in the process. Before he can make any further plans for escape, he must first succeed and survive the hopeless mission on which he has been sent.

A nice little twist in the end has sent me straight into the third book in the series. Can't wait to see what goes wrong with his plans this time.
on 29 September 2011
being dyslexic i was always told to read everyday, with a mind that never stops racing i find it hard to get drawn into sotrys, but this series of books sucked me in and i havent been able to stop reading. i only started book 1 a week ago and am already half way through book 4. this book is as well written as the gears of war books by karen traviss. it is obvious alot of thought and research has gone into the storys. And they all read like one huge book no side tracked story line for something new its all one huge universe. Would also make a good computer game for the level of detail.
on 2 April 2011
Intelligent & gripping - highly recommended for anyone who likes sci-fi to feel realistic instead of trying to boldly go where the laws of physics are too inconvenient to apply.

The series tells of the adventures of Marten Kluge as he finds his way from place to place within the solar system, struggling against adversity every step of the way. Initially he is trying to escape the oppression of the political system adopted by humanity amongst Earth and the inner planets; later he finds himself dragged into a war between mainstream humans and a rebellious off-shoot of humanity, the genetically engineered & generally superior Highborn; later still he finds himself up against an even tougher foe (I won't say any more to avoid spoilers).

This is not a story with exaggerated technology able to mysteriously jump between the stars & conveniently teleport people from place to place - all the action takes place in our solar system & with genuine attention to the practicalities of getting from A to B & how things work. It's easy to forget just how BIG our solar system is when reading & watching most sci-fi, and just how much scope there is for events to unfold between the planets, moons, & other bodies we have "locally".

There are plenty of influences from other sci-fi folklore, which adds another level to reading this series as you spot this or that influence of other stories. I don't know if this is intentional by the author or not, but either way it added to the enjoyment for me.

Bottom line - a great read for a minimal price tag. Buy the first book and see what you think - even if you don't like it, you've spent less than for a cup of coffee.
on 25 May 2012
My third title from this author and the easy to read writing style balances perfectly with a steady stream of classic science fixation and full on combat action. If like me, you like an action packed story, this is the author for you!

Whilst this volume two does seem to change direction from Star Soldier a bit, it does seem to sort of logically fit and just my sheer enjoyment of the work is more important than a few minor niggles (perhaps a little bit too much repetiton of the details of a piece of technology - you told us once, why tell us again?)

Now, at the end, the cyborgs are here.... so I quickly clicked the button to aquire the next book on my Kindle... I love my Kindle!
on 10 February 2011
I would equate these books with Chris Bunch's The Last Legion series and Simon R Green's Deathstalker books.

Vaughn is very good at creating characters that you care about and wish to follow.

His space battles are some of the best I have ever read.

It is clear that he is still gaining experience in his writing style. But he has a promising future.

I purchased the Star soldier book because it was cheap and I wanted something to test out the kindle android app. I quickly got into it and had finished all 3 books in a week and a half.

I look forward to the next book from this author.
on 12 October 2015
The title seems unlikely but half way through we see the real meaning of the title and as usual the Highborn try to destroy the humans. The end has a particular clever twist.
on 14 December 2014
Gripping, imaginative, engaging, escapism science fiction at its best. Next Doom Star book bought. Starting straight away! Recommended reading sci fi fans!
on 13 February 2013
Very good read, i found the story very inviting and could not put the book down. Was reading all the time when i was not busy with work and family!
on 10 August 2013
good read continuing the story line well plenty of excitement kept me interested till the end
look forward to reading the rest of the series
on 14 December 2014
Second book in Doom Star series, thoroughly enjoyable read, on to the next book in the series. Great light entertainment!