4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent wireless, good interface, but some security worry
Published 13 months ago by leroguetradeur

2.0 out of 5 stars WN604 Misleading Datasheet
Published on 30 Dec 2011 by student

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent wireless, good interface, but some security worry, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Netgear WN604-100UKS N150 Wireless Access Point (Personal Computers)
You use this if you have a wired network, perhaps running on ethernet over mains adaptors, or hard wired to a broadband router, and you want to give wireless access to it. You might want to do this because you have tablets which only do wifi access. Or perhaps you have a location to which its hard to run wires. Maybe, for instance, you have two mains meters and so cannot do ethernet over mains to both locations. Basically whatever the reason, this lets you give wireless access to a previously hard wired network.

For this purpose it works excellently. Its easy to set up and the wireless connection stays up. Coverage is fine. If you compare this to the performance of the typical wall wart all-in-one plug and access points, its night and day. I have had one of these and they are a total waste of space. Always having to switch on and off when the connection dropped, and it would show as being up, but it would be impossible to log on to it.

This does the job. It also has four ethernet ports which work independently of the wireless access point, so if you have a few devices in your office room and want to give wireless access to the net from the rest of the house, you just patch the wired units into the ethernet ports, set up wireless, and everything just works.

The security worry is this. There seems to be no way of disabling administrative access over wireless. Normally you would expect to be able to do this. If its possible I have not been able to figure out how.

You can restrict access of any kind by MAC address. However, these are easy enough to spoof if anyone knows what they are doing and wants to. You can also disable SSID broadcasting, but this is not an effective security measure either.

The only solution is very long and very random passwords, because that is the only protection your network will have from 'war drivers'. Its not going to be much of an issue in the country - anyone parked outside having a crack at your network is going to be rather noticeable, and there are going to be few houses within range. But if you are in a densely populated street in a city, it is a concern.

It is still to be recommended because of its other strengths, but if you get it, you want to set up two different passwords, one for access and one for admin, and they need to be at least 20 characters random, and include non-ascii characters as well as ordinary alpha numerical. Don't worry about them being easy to remember, write them down. You will hardly ever need to use them after setup. Use the MAC address restriction feature as well - you might as well make it as hard as possible!

Do I think this is secure enough? Yes. But this is not a professional opinion. Its a bit of trouble but if anyone really wants to hack your network they will probably then have to resort to physical intrusion measures, key loggers, hacking the actual machines, that sort of thing. With really secure passwords its almost certainly OK. Its just that the power to disable wireless admin access is such a small detail, and so useful, that its annoying and puzzling that Netgear has not implemented it.

4.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 4 Feb 2013
I wanted to use an AP as my router is not reaching all the house areas properly. so I bought a different AP from Maplin, but it turned to be very complicated to install plus it didn't work properly because it kept disconnecting my devices after every few minutes of putting the username and passwords.
then i returned it and bought this Netgear AP, very easy installation , reliable, worked properly , boosting my broadband throughout the whole extension and all my devices are connected from the 1st time.
great with apple products(iphone, iPad, and my Mac)

2.0 out of 5 stars WN604 Misleading Datasheet, 30 Dec 2011
I bought this router specifically for RADIUS authentication as mentioned on the datasheet provided on the NETGEAR website. Once arrived I was in for nasty surprise that no such feature exists. A quick search revealed posts like this [...] saying they were all mislead. I am waiting for an official response from NETGEAR on this. It appears that at somepoint they updated the firmware to version 2.0.1 and REMOVED RADIUS without updating the manual or the datasheet. Now I have to waste time dealing with this issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, 21 May 2014
This was so easy to set up. I have a wired network but wanted access in my Summer House at the bottom of the Garden.
I set this up on a book case in the corner of the dining room and get a good signal in the summer House about 18 metres away, even with the access point power turned down to 50%.

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes time to set up, 31 Mar 2014
This is great for the price. It was however a little difficult to set up as it would not connect to my PC via Ethernet correctly. When I researched this it does seem to be a fairly common issue with this model. However after some research and fiddling it now works like a charm.

Pro's:
- Signal is strong and does not drop
- Power cable is a good length
- Easy to connect to when it is setup
- Unobtrusive design
- Price

Cons:
- Difficult to set up

Would I recommend it? Yes, but be prepared to fiddle a little to get it set up.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have no idea how this works, it just does, 2 Sep 2013
W. Fisher (London, England) - See all my reviews
I recently built a garden room and wanted to get the Internet out there . My plan was to run cat 5 cable From the router in the house down the length if the garden to an access point at the other end. So this evening I ditched. The idea of a 30m cable and plugged in a powerline adapter - worked first time and hey presto I had Internet in my cabin. This only has an Ethernet port and I wanted wifi which is where this wireless access point comes in. I have no previous computer experience but thought I would have a go.
I basically plugged it into the Ethernet port and turned it on. After a minute it was sending a wireless signal, my computer picked it up and I was able to connect to the Internet! This was not a secure network. So to make it secure I entered the IP address that is in the label on the bottom of the unit. This let me modify the security settings and I added a password.
From reading the other reviews and all the technical jargon I was very tentative about purchasing this product. Maybe I have done something wrong but I seem to have set up the wireless , and it's working and it was very straight forward.
Fingers crossed!

1.0 out of 5 stars Configuration Problems, 8 Nov 2013
Easy to connect up and access the internet through the Netgear Access Point. The default setup is an unsecured network, so I followed the instructions to configure the unit. Entered 192.168.0.100 into my browser and it timed out. Phoned Netgear support - complete waste of time. Tried their online chat and at least she understood the problem. She took control of my PC but after 20 minutes, concluded that she couldn't help. Returned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear, 13 Feb 2014
S. J. Lowe (UK) - See all my reviews
I guess you either like Netgear or don't. I do and this continues to support that view. It may be that I am using it in a Netgear network rather than a mixed manufacturer one but it has been completely trouble free.

1.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of drop-outs and not much coverage., 19 May 2014
Michael Dalgleish "MdD" (Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This router needs a re-boot more than once a day. The signal struggles to reach the next room in my house. It's actually quite good with devices in the same room, but that's not the point is it?

5.0 out of 5 stars What Black Art Is This?, 7 Aug 2014
P. Marshall (France) - See all my reviews
I live in an old stone farmhouse with very thick granite walls so "wireless" is useless to me and everything in my home is hard wired. But as an increasing number of friends who have holiday homes nearby are turning up with iPads etc. and asking to use my WiFi I thought I'd buy something to accommodate them. So I bought this cheap (I think) box thinking I'd eventually be able to work out how to install it or at worse get an IT savvy friend to do it for me. The installation instructions looked daunting and so many reviews warned of problems and that this is not for amateurs.

So I plugged it into my ADSL router (also NetGear) with the supplied patch cable and into a power socket. Some lights came on, flashed, went out... didn't mean a thing to me. I typed the N150's ip address into my browser as instructed and was presented with a myriad of configuration options, none of which made the slightest sense. Friends arrived for aperitifs, so I left this task 'til later, happy to be let off the hook for the time being.

What's one friend carrying? His laptop. "Please can I plug into your network to read my email?" Sure, but before you do could you just try if you can "see" my new wireless access point. I knew he wouldn't be able to of course. It's a complicated thing to set up of course. Loads of setting to change of course.

"Yep, got it.... Netgear xyz...." Great, thought I, at least a computer can see it. "so let's plug you in now". "Why?" says friend "my mail's downloading". When he'd finished he Skyped his family.

I had done absolutely nothing except plug this thing in. It scared me. I couldn't have contemplated what I had to do to make it work. But I had, by doing nothing.

Now, I know it's not secure and I'll maybe fix that. But I live in nowhereville and I can just push a little button to turn it off so maybe I'll just leave well alone.

I have never, ever had such an easy to install and use device in my life. Even my TV needed tuning!

I can't understand those who say it's complicated and difficult. Maybe they are trying too hard (really). What a brilliant little device!