Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 August 2010
I bought Liberty Tree last week (August 2010).I think it might be the very best album I have ever bought.

The Liberty Tree is subtitled `A celebration of the life and writings of Thomas Paine'. Because I'd never heard of Mr Rosselson or Mr Johnson before, as a long-time admirer of Tom Paine it was the subtitle that caught my eye.

Since it arrived, I must have played the discs just about every day, and get to love them more with each playing. Liberty Tree consists of a mixture of Rosselson and Johnson reading out some of Tom Paine's writing (which they do superbly), and singing some of their wonderful songs. Their music is very much in the style of English folk music, and simply oozes anger, protest and resistance; but does so gently, using heartbreaking sadness - such as Rosselson's work of sheer genius, `The Wall That Stands Between' - or using light-hearted irony, as in Robb Johnson's `Three Minutes' Silence', or Rosselson's brilliant `Palaces of Gold'.

I cannot find a single fault in this wonderful piece of work, and the one and only song I disagree with is Rosselson's `Stand Up For Judas'. Although the song itself is quite good I think the point of it is wrong. But this is an entirely trivial remark, and I only mention it to illustrate how little of the ninety minutes or so of playing time I would have changed.

I cannot praise this album too highly. Go buy it now.
on 22 December 2013
A friend asked for this as a Christmas present and I was worried it wouldn't arrive in time. However, no complications and it's wrapped and ready for them for Christmas Day!! Thanks!