5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Machine, 3 Oct 2010
This review is from: Acer Aspire One D260, 10.1" Netbook, Intel Atom Processor N450, 1GB, 160GB, Genuine Windows XP Home, Up to 8hrs battery life, Black (Electronics)
I bought the D260 after seeing reviews on Amazon and other websites.

This listing includes Windows XP and a 6 cell battery, both important if you value battery life. Some D260's are sold with a 3 cell battery which greatly reduces the time you can spend on your netbook without having to recharge (from up to 8 hours to up to 4 hours). As this is a no brainer, the bigger question for me was whether to buy the D260 with Windows XP or Windows 7 starter.

The advantages of Windows 7 starter are that it will be supported by Microsoft long after they stop supporting XP, although with XP being such an established OS most of the glitches will already have been ironed out. Microsoft are apparently supporting XP until 2014, quite a long time in the life of a netbook! Other than than it appears to have a more user friendly access to wireless connectivity. I'm sure that others will add other advantages but I could't find any!

On the down side it is a slimline version of Windows 7 (which I would recommend) but in slimming down the OS they appear to have left little to recommend it over the XP OS.

For example
It uses up the battery faster as it is still a heavier OS
It costs more
You can't change the background and
It doesn't play DVD's on an external DVD drive without upgraded software. Incidentally, I recommend the Samsung SE-S084C USB DVD which works a treat with the XP D260. I downloaded the VLC Media Player and use that as my DVD player of choice

So for the above reasons I chose XP over Windows 7 Starter and have not regretted it. I'm sure that owners of the D260 with Windows 7 Starter will still like their netbook but overall I recommend this machine with XP wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars great value portability, 18 Oct 2010
Amazon Customer "AWM" (Cornwall, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this to download and review photos on a recent trip: I was backpacking so didn't have space for my fullsize laptop. I was impressed at the battery performance as I only had to charge it once during the 8 days I was travelling, but was using it daily for a couple of hours at a time. It proved an ideal size to fit in my backpack (with a padded cover I bought elsewhere), and I used a wireless mouse some of the time as I'm not used to using just a touchpad, but I did get quite proficient, although the scrolling sensor is a little difficult to get right.
The majority of the bundled software was no use to me, I installed some of Office XP and CorelDraw 9 (with the aid of an external DVD drive) with no problems, Corel can run a little slowly with graphics due to the minimal RAM, but it was acceptable. The generous 160gB hard drive was a bonus for the number of images I routinely take in a day.
Back home, the compact size and weight has made it the PC of choice for armchair/bedtime browsing, the wireless sensitivity is very good and I haven't yet found a dead spot in the house despite all our other wireless devices having some problems.
All in all I think I got good value for money and would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little notebook, 4 Oct 2010
Looks great, works great. Screen is very nice, if a bit small for me, but considering the size the resolution and definiton are great. Films look great and sound great on it through headphones, the pc speakers are acceptable for normal use, but definately tinny and not for listening to music on. battery life is very good, I get around 6 - 7 hrs consatnt use out of the battery. Cpu does the job ok for general tasks, docs, excel web browser and general use is quite snappy, but I wouldnt go for anything heavy duty on it. The XP version is really dated, so I updated to windowes 7 and it is huge improvement, I suggest getting the win7 version.

Using the computer is very nice, is solid construction and very good quality feel to it all round, connectivity (wifi) works very well all round the house. Please note the key board buttons are slightly smaller than standard size ketboard, but that doesnt seem to make a difference, and is very nice response to keypress so thats okay as well.

Cant find anything bad to say apart from I want a bigger screen, but the size is so handy and useful, i would still choose this size again. I did connect it to a 19 inch screen and quality is very good at 1280 * 1024.

All round this is a great pc with practically no flaws - hats of to acer for making such a wonderful netbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suited to even the most technologically-disabled, 5 Nov 2010
I'm no good with technology. It makes me feel better to think that if you cut a laptop in half, it would be black and grey and solid throughout - rather like a cake. This particular netbook is incredibly user-friendly, sturdy, and not at all intimidating. With the screen brightness turned down and using a simple program like Word, the battery lasts up to 8 hours. The only tiny niggle with it is the lack of a CD drive, but really that's not an issue for what it's used for. I heartily recommend this little gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little number, 4 Oct 2010
Nice little netbook. Quick. Clear screen. Does exactly what it says on the box. Shame about no Blue tooth. All in all its great though & looks lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Acer Aspire One D260, 18 Nov 2010
Good little laptop that does what it says on the box except I haven't managed to get 8hrs out of the battery yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Acer is ACE!, 14 Nov 2010
Excellent product, purchased this to take on holiday. It was between this and an IPad, this has more of the functions that we required from this small very portable device....loving it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Acer Aspire One D260 10.1" Nerbook, 5 Nov 2010
Mr. M. J. Pettman "Photo scribe" (Chichester, UK) - See all my reviews
This little netbook does everything you could want of it. The Windows XP OS is perfectly adequate, fast and comprehensive for surfing the net, collecting and sending emails. It is well worth trading off Windows 7 for the 6 hour battery. I loaded Office Org (free) from its website and now have a perfectly good sysytem for word processing, looking at and preparing presentations and spreadsheets. You don't need an optical disk reader/writer for this. The 160GB hard disk is more than enough capacity. I use the connectivity it has with my WiFi broadband at home and Mmobile broadband when out.