4.0 out of 5 stars Sunnto M4
Published on 8 Feb 2011 by mistakos

3.0 out of 5 stars very good quality
Very good at the job its made for but I have found the battiers do not last very long when used dailey.
Published 10 months ago by deborah parnell

4.0 out of 5 stars Sunnto M4, 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: Suunto M4 Mens Heart Rate Monitor - Black/Silver (Sports)
I acquired this training watch for specific reasons, like biking and gym. I think it is a very good choice for someone who doesn't need and want to spend a lot of money, but wants to get the job done. It is user friendly, has free training, suggested training for wight lose and for gaining physical endurance. Easy to change the battery (done by the user not by the Suunto company as e.g. dive computers). It is rather pretty as a watch and it gives you a lot of info. If you are not very demanding in what you want (as I am), M4 is one of the best choices you can make.

4.0 out of 5 stars The M4 Heart Rate Monitor by Suunto, 14 Dec 2010
Joseph Kazmer (Bonita Springs, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Suunto M4 Mens Heart Rate Monitor - Black/Silver (Sports)
This is the my first Heart Rate Monitor and as the M4 is relatively new with few reviews I took a chance on it. I have used it now almost daily for three weeks at the gym. The wrist watch is rather bulky and thick but comfortable and with large numerals. Yes it is also a watch, something Suunto does not push in its advertisements. I find myself wearing it to bed, the only watch I have ever done so, and with a press of a button it lights up and I can make out the time without my glasses.
I do not use the fancy exercise modes, calories burned, or the fitness test so I cannot comment on these. I doubt the calories burned has any accuracy to it but it might make you feel better about yourself. I bought this HR Monitor for just that to accurately give a me a moment to moment account of my heart rate when I exercise. Being recently diagnosed with exercise induced atrial fibrillation I have to be careful to keep my heart rate below my usual threshold of 140 beats per minute. For this the watch performs flawlessly. I actually watched on the monitor as I had a 10 second run of atrial fib with a rapid ventricular response. I stopped exercising and my heart rate suddenly dropped 40 beats per minute. In three weeks I have learned what my limits are and can usually keep my rate between 100 and 130 and have adjusted my exercise routine accordingly.
The M4 is not cheap but the quality is well worth it. The chest belt is very comfortable. I strongly suggest you go to the Suunto website and review the "how to" movie "before you try to use the watch" as this was a time saver. The Suunto "Quick Guide" paper you get with the watch is cryptic. No need to wet the contacts on the belt. Put it on and in two minutes your normal sweat will provide the moisture and you can then press the button to pickup your heart rate. A very good product!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Calorie count more accurate than others, 28 Dec 2010
Mccres01 (Hertford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Suunto M4 Mens Heart Rate Monitor - Black/Silver (Sports)
Simple HRM that provides you with added motivation by reminding you of your progress over 7 days and 4 weeks. Some of the Garmin HRM work out your calorie burn from speed which is'nt good if you are cycling downhill. I'm not too sure of the calculation that Suuntu uses but would'nt buy anything again that used speed in the calculation. Each day it provides you with a target time at which you should maintain your heart rate at e.g 35min at 129-145 or 45min at 120-130 the exact level based on the your resting heart rate that you enter along with your weight and height. The negative is that you can cheat. The time starts counting 2min after starting your exercise but if you go from a resting heart rate it may take more than 2min to get upto the target rate. I have'nt used it with the Movestick that gives you added feedback so can't comment on this but its on my shopping list as I'm impressed by Suuntu.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good buy, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Suunto M4 Mens Heart Rate Monitor - Black/Silver (Sports)
i used it every day in my exercise and it is very trustworthy
i really recommend it as a watch and heart rate monitor

2.0 out of 5 stars Review from a fitness expert..., 27 April 2014
Mr. S. Scott "Alchemy1" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Suunto M4 Mens Heart Rate Monitor - Black/Silver (Sports)
I have used heart rate monitor watches for 15 years now. My last one was a Polar. This watch which is quite expensive for what you actually get looks & feels low end & cheap. Watch buttons are stiff. Non-intuitive layout. Difficult to change settings. Would have liked to have sent it back for a refund.

3.0 out of 5 stars very good quality, 31 Jan 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but good value for the money, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: Suunto M4 Mens Heart Rate Monitor - Black/Silver (Sports)
I trawled through the lots of similar heart rate monitor watches before I chose this as I wanted a watch I could wear day to day as well as a sports watch. I didn't want the watch to scream "look at me". The M4 fits the bill well. It's a good looking watch which is comfortable and has a sturdy feel. The only down side of the looks is that every day the screen shows the message "Exercise Day" until I press a button. Sorry, I chose when to exercise, not the watch.
This watch is not perfect. The Suunto staff should pick up an iPhone to learn a thing or two about ease of use. The user manual that came with it was useless, but the online version was much more detailed and was necessary before I could use the heart rate functions. The heart-rate monitor seems to work fine for me whilst running and cycling. I've only had it 3 weeks so durability can't be commented on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great basic training watch, 12 Nov 2012
This review is from: Suunto M4 Mens Heart Rate Monitor - Black/Silver (Sports)
This was a replacement for my trusty t3 which was stolen. I would have bought another if I could have but as they are no longer available went for the M4.
It does not do the training effect function that I liked on the t3 but it does have a good varied daily exercise planner and as I am just after something to keep up basic fitness this is good motivation.
I like the dual belt as it works at the gym too.
Pretty easy to set up and not bad to wear just as a watch although I generally don't.

2.0 out of 5 stars awesome watch BUT lasted about 2 weeks!, 11 Oct 2012
This review is from: Suunto M4 Mens Heart Rate Monitor - Black/Silver (Sports)
having owned a polar ft80 previously and wanting to stay away from Polar products, I bought this Suunto M4. Upon laying eyes on it I was in love, it looks and feels awesome. Having used it, I really liked it, it did everything I wanted, the belt was comfy, the display was huge and easy to read. The watch did lose connection with the belt quite a lot.

However, having used it less than 10 times, it stopped working! I looked after it and washed the belt after every use. But after the few uses I got out of it, the heart rate reading just became erratic, jumping from a low bpm to a high bpm to a heart attack!

So after a few uses, watch had to be returned, completely useless. Wont bother with Suunto again, the Polar watch was better in every way, except the battery changing issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: Suunto M4 Mens Heart Rate Monitor - Black/Silver (Sports)
My old Polar HRM expired and I surveyed the marketplace looking for a replacement. I'm not an elite athlete and therefore did not need the all singing all dancing features that are available on expensive HRMs. I looked at the features of the Suunto M4 and it offered not only heart rate monitoring but preset exercise schedules, preset heart rate ranges dependent on age calory expenditure and history. Great Product.