5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, but we really enjoyed it!
Published 22 months ago by K. Childs

3.0 out of 5 stars men in black go back 3
Published 22 months ago by The Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, but we really enjoyed it!, 9 Jun 2012
K. Childs (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Having seen this in the cinema yesterday I was quite surprised to read some of the reviews on this site. First of all, I must state that I am not a big fan of MIB or MIB2 - I thought they were OK films. My young son wanted to see this so my wife and I thought it would help alleviate a wet and windy afternoon. All I can say is Wow, how pleasantly surprised we were. I thought the action scenes were adequate and the gags were quite funny. Where I have to differ with most of the other reviewers is that I thought the story was excellent. It takes you on a brief history trip while managing to round off the MIB story, taking the characters full circle.
As I stated, I wasn't a fan of the other MIB films but we all really enjoyed this one. If you're undecided as to whether or not to watch it, give it a go - you may be as pleasantly surprised as we were. I would certainly watch it again. It's also worth mentioning that you don't have to have seen 1 and 2 to be able to follow this one. Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Familiar, and fun, 26 Jun 2012
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
When the original Men in Black film came out, it was to a lot of hype. The film was a huge success, as it more than lived up to the expectations it had built up for itself.

When the second MiB film was released, it was to an equal amount of hype. It was ok, provided you didn't mind seeing the plot of the first film with the roles reversed. Not a huge success, but it had some good moments.

And now we have the third film. I had not seen as much hype about it, and the trailer looked promising. So I decided to go and watch it to see how they faired this time around.

First of all, the plot was thankfully different: as you are probably aware, time travel is involved. Agend K (Smith) has to go back in time to save Agent J's (Jones) younger self (Brolin) from being killed. This leads to the inevitable "Black man in racist-era New York" confrontation. Which is played for laughs, and bizarrely, works! That only plays a minor part in the plot, and your opinions probably vary as to whether or not that is a good thing.

The plot is pretty straight-forward, with lots of hinting about the events in past early on. Sure enough, by the end of the film, all the major questions are answered, and very few plot holes are created (and the one or two that do stand out are not enough to spoil your enjoyment).

Casting is crucial, and when you have to select an actor to play a younger version of a well established character, it becomes even more critical. There has been varying success in other films: Ewan McGregor is almost believable as a younger Alec Guiness in the Star Wars franchise. Rob Lowe as a young Robert Wagner in Austin Powers is not so spot-on, but we forgive as he is plays the part so well. But what of Josh Brolin as Tommy Lee Jones?

Flawless.

Characterisation - excellent. Accent - well, I still don't know if it was Brolin speaking or Jones dubbing him! Either way, it was not a distraction, other than to marvel at how good a job they did.

As for the Big Bad... Jemaine Clement as Boris is very good. Wonderfully hammy, not too cheesy, and instantly dislikable. In short, everything you want in a comedy drama such as this. As an aside, I did not realise until after the film was over that he was one half of the comedy musical duo Flight of the Conchords. And yes, I have seen it the mockumentary... he really was that unrecognisable, which is all to Clement's credit.

The story itself was nothing special - in essence it is a standard plot that crops up every now and then in Doctor Who, and was the staple for every Quantum Leap episode ever made. Nevertheless, they made it work here, and they made it fun. It was clichéd, but that's not always a bad thing. After all, a cliché is only a plot device that gets re-used because it works well.

If you want a sci-fi film that will make you think, then this is not for you. If you want a bit of well acted silly and funny nonsense then this is likely to be right up your street.

4.0 out of 5 stars The sequel which MIB2 should have been..., 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I was a big fan of Men in Black as a kid, being a sci-fi nerd and all that, but even as a child I wasn't a big fan of the first sequel. It made the fatal sequel mistake of trying to take what was popular about the original and exploiting it, rather than driving the overarching story forward or exploring deeper the world it had created (which was a shame, because MIB opened up a whole universe of possibilities - literally).

Men in Black 3 actually DOES do the latter, to an extent. It does not try to replicate the conditions of the original film, which is very refreshing, even going so far as to remove Tommy Lee Jones from the majority of the film, where the second film even denied him the happy ending he had found in the first just to drag him back into the franchise.

The plot, involving time travel, does not seem out of place in the film's universe of endless possibilities. The 60's setting allows some hillarious scenes, such as revelations about Andy Warhol, and a great little scene where Agent J encounters some racist cops.

Josh Brolin, as the younger version of agent K, is superb - his Tommy Lee Jones impression is so good that I was completely sucked in while watching this in the cinema. The character of Griffin, an alien with the ability to see all possible futures, is the best part of the film however. He is such a sweet, likeable and funny character that he makes the entire film worth watching. The villain is decent, although he is not nearly as threatening as the Bug in the original, and there was never a moment where I thought he might win. Emma Thompson's Agent O (replacing Rip Torn's Z, who is explained, rather abruptly, as dead) is also decent, although she has little to do in the film.

There are a few dud moments - the first ten minutes was so bad that I was worried the entire film would follow in the same vein, and the ending you will predict with a slight groan (although it is nice, if implausible).

Overall, I think this film is at least worth a watch if you enjoyed the original. It's the silly and exciting fun you expect from the franchise - and with a few nice callbacks to the original for fans. I enjoyed it a lot - I actually saw it twice in the theatre and left happy both times.

- p.s. Whoever decided Pitbull should do the title song was an idiot.

3.0 out of 5 stars men in black go back 3, 8 Jun 2012
A decade away from the movie scene has given the Men In Black series a chance at a fresher, newer perspective. Taking its cue from Shrek Forever After, MIB 3 takes on a tired concept (time travel in this case) if only to acknowledge the failure of its dull sequel and take us back to a different era allowing us to view the franchise from an unsullied angle. The result is a film that returns to its roots and gives audiences the chance to relive much of what they first enjoyed - a smart, sci-fi, buddy comedy that embraces everything weird and wonderful about the unknown universe.

In his first cinematic role in nearly 4 years, Will Smith's Agent J is the usual charming, witty wiseass we expect him to be. Still teamed up with the laconic Agent K (wrinkly Tommy Lee Jones) he is no closer to cracking his older partners deadpan demeanour but their relationship issues take a back seat when a nemesis from Kay's past, Boris the animal, turns up to exact revenge for having been imprisoned on the moon 40 years ago. His elaborate plan takes him back in the past, to the day he was caught, and sets ripples in the present, where K no longer exists and a different reality results. J has to then literally time jump (off the Empire State building no less) and fix the past for normalcy to return in the present.

The films primary achievement and a true signal of its return to form though are the scenes set in the past. Not only is Josh Brolin a deadringer for Tommy Lee's K during his youth, but the hip musical vibes of the late 60's/early 70's allow for plenty of playfulness to ensue with a particularly hilarious segment devoted to Andy Warhol. If that isn't enough, everything very neatly ties into another epochal scientific moment from that time period and ends on a moment of curiously satisfying emotionality that provides not only closure to the film but the series as a whole. If that doesn't make you forgive all the wrongs that the sequel did and embrace this film as one of the years better movie franchise offerings the only thing that might work on you is a neuralizer.

5.0 out of 5 stars very very good 3D picture for those who enjoy 3D's, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Men in Black III (Blu-ray 3D + UV Copy) [2012][Region B/C] (Blu-ray)
very very good 3D picture for both screens 3D projectors n 3D TV's ..

all 5 Stars for the 3D picture of this movie n 3 Stars for the movie

4.0 out of 5 stars another great film, 4 May 2013
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
some of the story was a bit tricky for my young grandson to grasp flitting back and forth but we still loved it. Good story good acting great special effects as usual would highly recommend the film

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable and funny in places too., 30 Dec 2012
Pyewacket "czarnowice" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I think this is the best Men in Black film so far!

A nasty and I mean nasty convict called Boris (The Animal) has escaped from his cell on the Moon where he has been imprisoned for 40 years. He now seeks revenge on Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) for the loss of his arm.

Agent J (Will Smith) realises that his partner has something on his mind but can't get him to say what is bothering him.

Eventually when K goes missing J realises that some weird stuff is going down so he manages to get hold of a time machine and travels back to the sixties and there he finds a younger Agent K. This is where the story really starts to get going.
There are some brilliant special effects in the film and the actor who doubled for Lee Jones as his younger self did a sterling job.

I thought this was heaps better than another Sci-Fi film I recently reviewed and would happily recommend it to Sci-Fi fans everywhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, funny, very entertaining. And better than the second one., 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Everyone was dissapointed with Men in Black 2 and the long years that stretched on after its release without a sequel held little hope for Smith and Jones to return for a third outing. But now they're back and with a sequel worthy of the brilliant first film.
The story takes the risk of dabbling with time travel and thankfully does it very succesfully. We learn that long ago, K locked away a dangerous alien who has now escaped and wants revenge for his lost arm and years of imprisonment. Without spoiling anything, J must time travel in order to ensure K's survival and protect the planet from an invasion of Boglodites.
As in the previous two films, Smith and Jones have great chemistry and their banter is as witty as ever. This time round, though, we get to see K as a younger agent, played with uncanny resemblence by Josh Brolin. There are plenty of other new faces, including Emma Thompson as O, head of Men in Black and Jemaine Clement who has enourmous fun as the villian, Boris.
Also returning alongside Smith and Jones is Barry Sonnefield as director who delivers fast paced action and the usual weirdness. The aliens are also brilliantly done again by Rick Baker and Steven Spielberg's fingerprints are all over this film as he returns as executive producer.
The time travel plot could have been a disaster but it's actually very well done and we get some great twists and turns as a result. There is a particularly great twist at the end about J. The set pieces are brilliantly inventive and a chase sequence on some weird motorbikes stands out as one of the best sequences of all three films.
Overall, fans will breathe a sigh of relief at getting the sequel the second one should have been and newcomers will be caught up in the breathless action, crazy monsters and witty banter between Smith and Jones and Smith and Brolin.
As for specila features there is a funny bloopers reel, a decent featurette and a music video, but this is hardly the ultimate edition for fans who want in depth looks at the creature design, props and plot development.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great movie, 18 Dec 2012
This was a great movie, after seeing it on the cinema I had to buy it when it was released. I would recommend this to anyone but especially for any one who has seen the other Men In Black movies

4.0 out of 5 stars Men in Black 3, 17 Dec 2012
Je Salter (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Having read some reviews of Men in Black 3, I was surprised at how good, funny and original it was. I'd heard there were hardly any aliens in it and that it lacked humour, I don't know what film they were watching but it wasn't the same one as me, it's more than worthy of one and two.

If your a fan of the first two films then I'm sure you'll enjoy this, great special effects, story and humour, highly recommended.

ARRAY(0xa47d54b0)