5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, but we really enjoyed it!
Published on 9 Jun 2012 by K. Childs

3.0 out of 5 stars men in black go back 3
Published on 8 Jun 2012 by The Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, but we really enjoyed it!, 9 Jun 2012
K. Childs (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Having seen this in the cinema yesterday I was quite surprised to read some of the reviews on this site. First of all, I must state that I am not a big fan of MIB or MIB2 - I thought they were OK films. My young son wanted to see this so my wife and I thought it would help alleviate a wet and windy afternoon. All I can say is Wow, how pleasantly surprised we were. I thought the action scenes were adequate and the gags were quite funny. Where I have to differ with most of the other reviewers is that I thought the story was excellent. It takes you on a brief history trip while managing to round off the MIB story, taking the characters full circle.
As I stated, I wasn't a fan of the other MIB films but we all really enjoyed this one. If you're undecided as to whether or not to watch it, give it a go - you may be as pleasantly surprised as we were. I would certainly watch it again. It's also worth mentioning that you don't have to have seen 1 and 2 to be able to follow this one. Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Familiar, and fun, 26 Jun 2012
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
When the original Men in Black film came out, it was to a lot of hype. The film was a huge success, as it more than lived up to the expectations it had built up for itself.

When the second MiB film was released, it was to an equal amount of hype. It was ok, provided you didn't mind seeing the plot of the first film with the roles reversed. Not a huge success, but it had some good moments.

And now we have the third film. I had not seen as much hype about it, and the trailer looked promising. So I decided to go and watch it to see how they faired this time around.

First of all, the plot was thankfully different: as you are probably aware, time travel is involved. Agend K (Smith) has to go back in time to save Agent J's (Jones) younger self (Brolin) from being killed. This leads to the inevitable "Black man in racist-era New York" confrontation. Which is played for laughs, and bizarrely, works! That only plays a minor part in the plot, and your opinions probably vary as to whether or not that is a good thing.

The plot is pretty straight-forward, with lots of hinting about the events in past early on. Sure enough, by the end of the film, all the major questions are answered, and very few plot holes are created (and the one or two that do stand out are not enough to spoil your enjoyment).

Casting is crucial, and when you have to select an actor to play a younger version of a well established character, it becomes even more critical. There has been varying success in other films: Ewan McGregor is almost believable as a younger Alec Guiness in the Star Wars franchise. Rob Lowe as a young Robert Wagner in Austin Powers is not so spot-on, but we forgive as he is plays the part so well. But what of Josh Brolin as Tommy Lee Jones?

Flawless.

Characterisation - excellent. Accent - well, I still don't know if it was Brolin speaking or Jones dubbing him! Either way, it was not a distraction, other than to marvel at how good a job they did.

As for the Big Bad... Jemaine Clement as Boris is very good. Wonderfully hammy, not too cheesy, and instantly dislikable. In short, everything you want in a comedy drama such as this. As an aside, I did not realise until after the film was over that he was one half of the comedy musical duo Flight of the Conchords. And yes, I have seen it the mockumentary... he really was that unrecognisable, which is all to Clement's credit.

The story itself was nothing special - in essence it is a standard plot that crops up every now and then in Doctor Who, and was the staple for every Quantum Leap episode ever made. Nevertheless, they made it work here, and they made it fun. It was clichéd, but that's not always a bad thing. After all, a cliché is only a plot device that gets re-used because it works well.

If you want a sci-fi film that will make you think, then this is not for you. If you want a bit of well acted silly and funny nonsense then this is likely to be right up your street.

4.0 out of 5 stars The sequel which MIB2 should have been..., 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I was a big fan of Men in Black as a kid, being a sci-fi nerd and all that, but even as a child I wasn't a big fan of the first sequel. It made the fatal sequel mistake of trying to take what was popular about the original and exploiting it, rather than driving the overarching story forward or exploring deeper the world it had created (which was a shame, because MIB opened up a whole universe of possibilities - literally).

Men in Black 3 actually DOES do the latter, to an extent. It does not try to replicate the conditions of the original film, which is very refreshing, even going so far as to remove Tommy Lee Jones from the majority of the film, where the second film even denied him the happy ending he had found in the first just to drag him back into the franchise.

The plot, involving time travel, does not seem out of place in the film's universe of endless possibilities. The 60's setting allows some hillarious scenes, such as revelations about Andy Warhol, and a great little scene where Agent J encounters some racist cops.

Josh Brolin, as the younger version of agent K, is superb - his Tommy Lee Jones impression is so good that I was completely sucked in while watching this in the cinema. The character of Griffin, an alien with the ability to see all possible futures, is the best part of the film however. He is such a sweet, likeable and funny character that he makes the entire film worth watching. The villain is decent, although he is not nearly as threatening as the Bug in the original, and there was never a moment where I thought he might win. Emma Thompson's Agent O (replacing Rip Torn's Z, who is explained, rather abruptly, as dead) is also decent, although she has little to do in the film.

There are a few dud moments - the first ten minutes was so bad that I was worried the entire film would follow in the same vein, and the ending you will predict with a slight groan (although it is nice, if implausible).

Overall, I think this film is at least worth a watch if you enjoyed the original. It's the silly and exciting fun you expect from the franchise - and with a few nice callbacks to the original for fans. I enjoyed it a lot - I actually saw it twice in the theatre and left happy both times.

- p.s. Whoever decided Pitbull should do the title song was an idiot.

3.0 out of 5 stars men in black go back 3, 8 Jun 2012
A decade away from the movie scene has given the Men In Black series a chance at a fresher, newer perspective. Taking its cue from Shrek Forever After, MIB 3 takes on a tired concept (time travel in this case) if only to acknowledge the failure of its dull sequel and take us back to a different era allowing us to view the franchise from an unsullied angle. The result is a film that returns to its roots and gives audiences the chance to relive much of what they first enjoyed - a smart, sci-fi, buddy comedy that embraces everything weird and wonderful about the unknown universe.

In his first cinematic role in nearly 4 years, Will Smith's Agent J is the usual charming, witty wiseass we expect him to be. Still teamed up with the laconic Agent K (wrinkly Tommy Lee Jones) he is no closer to cracking his older partners deadpan demeanour but their relationship issues take a back seat when a nemesis from Kay's past, Boris the animal, turns up to exact revenge for having been imprisoned on the moon 40 years ago. His elaborate plan takes him back in the past, to the day he was caught, and sets ripples in the present, where K no longer exists and a different reality results. J has to then literally time jump (off the Empire State building no less) and fix the past for normalcy to return in the present.

The films primary achievement and a true signal of its return to form though are the scenes set in the past. Not only is Josh Brolin a deadringer for Tommy Lee's K during his youth, but the hip musical vibes of the late 60's/early 70's allow for plenty of playfulness to ensue with a particularly hilarious segment devoted to Andy Warhol. If that isn't enough, everything very neatly ties into another epochal scientific moment from that time period and ends on a moment of curiously satisfying emotionality that provides not only closure to the film but the series as a whole. If that doesn't make you forgive all the wrongs that the sequel did and embrace this film as one of the years better movie franchise offerings the only thing that might work on you is a neuralizer.

5.0 out of 5 stars great film, 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
excellent film for all the family, that is why I rate it 5 stars and I would recommend to a friend

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I've been a huge fan of the previous MIB films, so I couldn't watch until this one came out on DVD. It arrived almost immediately and it's absolutely brilliant!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, best men in black so far, awesome in 3-D, 12 Dec 2012
This review is from: Men in Black III (Blu-ray 3D + UV Copy) [2012][Region B/C] (Blu-ray)
Really good fun film, brilliant performance by Will Smith, bring back Frank the pug for the next one :-) would definitely recommend

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the others ..., 3 Dec 2012
Mr. Mark Plant "origamimark" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I was really looking forward to tghe third volume of the MIB series, but must say I was somewhat disappointed. Boris was quite good to start with, but got on my nerves in the end, and the other characters were not so good either, In fact, I tried to watch this thing twice, and fell asleep both times well before the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black to the future, 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Hard to believe that the first Men in Black movie is 15 years old, but in some ways it's fitting that it's taken so long. Will Smith has gone from being newly-recruited 29 year-old MiB rookie Agent J to a 44 year-old service vet who is almost as grouchy as the King of Cantankerous himself, Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones). And while his petulance at being patronised carried the comic interplay in the first movie, the fact that J now regards himself as K's equal makes him even more petulant - with extremely funny results.

I read somewhere that there probably wouldn't have been a MiB 3 had Will Smith not stumbled upon a photograph of Tommy Lee Jones circa 1976 and realised that the resemblance to Josh Brolin was more than passing. Et voila! MiB 3 and the time travel concept story was born, and everyone got on board.

If the reason that it took so long to make the third instalment was because you can't rush these things, then that's good enough for me - Men in Black 3 was worth the wait. It plumbs new emotional depths (believe it or not), develops the characters in a way that seemed difficult to do after the second movie, and turns in some absolutely genius comic moments (the Andy Warhol party scene being one). Not only that, they've had enormous fun with the 1969 setting as well. There is (in my view) a genuinely scary villain in the form of Boris the Animal (an incredible turn by Kiwi Jemaine Clement- yes he of Gentlemen Broncos) but the real mention has to be for how Will Smith holds the attention as the senior-yet-still-sarcastic agent whose comedy timing and one-liner delivery has become razor-sharp. He is superb in this movie (and is the reason the second movie actually grew on me over time). That said, he is almost matched by Josh Brolin, who is clearly having a great time playing Tommy Lee Jones playing Agent K (just watch the gag reel for proof!)

Plot-wise, it was always going to be comparatively silly, but there's no `nuking the fridge' in this film - the time travel element adds a degree of credibility that might otherwise tend to be absent in comic science-fiction films, as well as some unexpected tension from knowing that the slightest cock-up could unravel the future (or something).

In short, there's very little to dislike about this movie. It's fun, funny and as believable as these things get. It's got a clever story, great performances, decent special effects, along with excellent photography and sweet-shop production design - the 1969 sets and costumes make Austin Powers look like 1940s film noir.

It seems to have been a year for decent sequels - Mission Impossible 4, Sherlock Holmes 2 and now Men in Black 3 have all been surprisingly good stuff. I don't know if that's a fluke or because there's some new talent around not content to just churn out conveyor-belt rubbish just because the original made a few quid. Long may it continue!

[As an aside - the UV download that comes with this movie IS very annoying. Despite already having a UV account for such downloads I had to set up a Sony Pictures account as well - you need both to download the movie. Even then it didn't work - every time I poured out every personal detail and vital statistic imaginable and clicked submit, the registration failed due to a tech error and I've not been able to get past first base. That is a minor gripe however, and, in my opinion, not a reason to mark the movie down.]

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this if you liked the first two MIB films, 2 Aug 2012
Andrew Berry - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Having seen this film in the cinema, I decided that I wanted to buy this film on DVD. Agent J has to travel back in time to stop Boris the animal from killing young Agent K. The film is full of fight scenes with aliens that we love to see from the MIB franchise. With the help of an alien who can see all the time lines, they manage to track K down, but are they too late to save him from being killed? J also learns a secret that K never wanted to tell him.

Men in Black III (Blu-ray 3D + UV Copy) [2012][Region B/C]