5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, but we really enjoyed it!
Published on 9 Jun 2012 by K. Childs

2.0 out of 5 stars Let's agree to disagree....
It's quite a complicated story, but the narrative keeps things just under control. An alien called Boris escapes from a jail on the moon with a big beef for Agent K.

The alien goes back in time and kills his younger self, thus making K non existent for over forty years. J then has to go back to 1969 and save the younger K before an invasion happens...
Published 9 months ago by Mr. Corey S. Newcombe

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, but we really enjoyed it!, 9 Jun 2012
K. Childs (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Having seen this in the cinema yesterday I was quite surprised to read some of the reviews on this site. First of all, I must state that I am not a big fan of MIB or MIB2 - I thought they were OK films. My young son wanted to see this so my wife and I thought it would help alleviate a wet and windy afternoon. All I can say is Wow, how pleasantly surprised we were. I thought the action scenes were adequate and the gags were quite funny. Where I have to differ with most of the other reviewers is that I thought the story was excellent. It takes you on a brief history trip while managing to round off the MIB story, taking the characters full circle.
As I stated, I wasn't a fan of the other MIB films but we all really enjoyed this one. If you're undecided as to whether or not to watch it, give it a go - you may be as pleasantly surprised as we were. I would certainly watch it again. It's also worth mentioning that you don't have to have seen 1 and 2 to be able to follow this one. Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Familiar, and fun, 26 Jun 2012
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
When the original Men in Black film came out, it was to a lot of hype. The film was a huge success, as it more than lived up to the expectations it had built up for itself.

When the second MiB film was released, it was to an equal amount of hype. It was ok, provided you didn't mind seeing the plot of the first film with the roles reversed. Not a huge success, but it had some good moments.

And now we have the third film. I had not seen as much hype about it, and the trailer looked promising. So I decided to go and watch it to see how they faired this time around.

First of all, the plot was thankfully different: as you are probably aware, time travel is involved. Agend K (Smith) has to go back in time to save Agent J's (Jones) younger self (Brolin) from being killed. This leads to the inevitable "Black man in racist-era New York" confrontation. Which is played for laughs, and bizarrely, works! That only plays a minor part in the plot, and your opinions probably vary as to whether or not that is a good thing.

The plot is pretty straight-forward, with lots of hinting about the events in past early on. Sure enough, by the end of the film, all the major questions are answered, and very few plot holes are created (and the one or two that do stand out are not enough to spoil your enjoyment).

Casting is crucial, and when you have to select an actor to play a younger version of a well established character, it becomes even more critical. There has been varying success in other films: Ewan McGregor is almost believable as a younger Alec Guiness in the Star Wars franchise. Rob Lowe as a young Robert Wagner in Austin Powers is not so spot-on, but we forgive as he is plays the part so well. But what of Josh Brolin as Tommy Lee Jones?

Flawless.

Characterisation - excellent. Accent - well, I still don't know if it was Brolin speaking or Jones dubbing him! Either way, it was not a distraction, other than to marvel at how good a job they did.

As for the Big Bad... Jemaine Clement as Boris is very good. Wonderfully hammy, not too cheesy, and instantly dislikable. In short, everything you want in a comedy drama such as this. As an aside, I did not realise until after the film was over that he was one half of the comedy musical duo Flight of the Conchords. And yes, I have seen it the mockumentary... he really was that unrecognisable, which is all to Clement's credit.

The story itself was nothing special - in essence it is a standard plot that crops up every now and then in Doctor Who, and was the staple for every Quantum Leap episode ever made. Nevertheless, they made it work here, and they made it fun. It was clichéd, but that's not always a bad thing. After all, a cliché is only a plot device that gets re-used because it works well.

If you want a sci-fi film that will make you think, then this is not for you. If you want a bit of well acted silly and funny nonsense then this is likely to be right up your street.

4.0 out of 5 stars The sequel which MIB2 should have been..., 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I was a big fan of Men in Black as a kid, being a sci-fi nerd and all that, but even as a child I wasn't a big fan of the first sequel. It made the fatal sequel mistake of trying to take what was popular about the original and exploiting it, rather than driving the overarching story forward or exploring deeper the world it had created (which was a shame, because MIB opened up a whole universe of possibilities - literally).

Men in Black 3 actually DOES do the latter, to an extent. It does not try to replicate the conditions of the original film, which is very refreshing, even going so far as to remove Tommy Lee Jones from the majority of the film, where the second film even denied him the happy ending he had found in the first just to drag him back into the franchise.

The plot, involving time travel, does not seem out of place in the film's universe of endless possibilities. The 60's setting allows some hillarious scenes, such as revelations about Andy Warhol, and a great little scene where Agent J encounters some racist cops.

Josh Brolin, as the younger version of agent K, is superb - his Tommy Lee Jones impression is so good that I was completely sucked in while watching this in the cinema. The character of Griffin, an alien with the ability to see all possible futures, is the best part of the film however. He is such a sweet, likeable and funny character that he makes the entire film worth watching. The villain is decent, although he is not nearly as threatening as the Bug in the original, and there was never a moment where I thought he might win. Emma Thompson's Agent O (replacing Rip Torn's Z, who is explained, rather abruptly, as dead) is also decent, although she has little to do in the film.

There are a few dud moments - the first ten minutes was so bad that I was worried the entire film would follow in the same vein, and the ending you will predict with a slight groan (although it is nice, if implausible).

Overall, I think this film is at least worth a watch if you enjoyed the original. It's the silly and exciting fun you expect from the franchise - and with a few nice callbacks to the original for fans. I enjoyed it a lot - I actually saw it twice in the theatre and left happy both times.

- p.s. Whoever decided Pitbull should do the title song was an idiot.

4.0 out of 5 stars I didn't expect to enjoy this and the first few scenes in - the ..., 23 July 2014
I didn't expect to enjoy this and the first few scenes in - the breakout of the Boris were so hammy, contrived, awkward with the 'actress' Nicole Scherzinger (thankfully she was in it for less than 5 mins..) I was contemplating switching off.
I can say I am glad I didn't. I think in hindsight i was expecting to be disappointed really because i thought the plot would be the the same run of the mill set up as MIB 1 and 2 which were ok but third time round gets tiring.

The plot was a more of an insight into the relationship between agent K and J and how / why they are the way they are and that their pasts are intertwined, including a time travel venture and old nemesis thrown in, which is brilliant as the normally 2D characters really come alive. I have to say Will Smith cheesy as ever as agent J but Josh Brolin who plays the younger Tommy Lee Jone was solo watchable, flawless. I haven't really noticed or known of him before but will deff look into watching some of his movies.

Its actually a very thoughtful plot from an emotional point of view- all really about Will Smith wanting to get his partner to open up to him! The jokes gags are actually not so spoof or slapstick, not too crass and the action is pretty cool without being disturbingly gory. Its a good movie for older kids too, no nudity or sexual innuendo or overt double entendres a la carry on movies...

Don't expect a rocket science plot regarding the time travel, this is an easy going movie for a nice afternoon or evening. well worth the watch.!

2.0 out of 5 stars Let's agree to disagree...., 4 Mar 2014

But we do get to find out why K is so miserable all the time.

To start off, the film is decidedly average, up until the last ten minutes. If you haven't been given any spoilers of the film, try not to, get over the first average hour or so, you will be surprised.

The film really does wrap up the whole franchise, and if this were to be last MIB movie, I wouldn't ave any complaints.

Smith is how you would expect him to be, cocky but with an edge of seriousness, Jones' role is nothing more than an extended cameo, but Brolin has really nailed the part of the younger K.

It took me until after the film to realise that Jones' was only in it for just over ten minutes, Brolin is that good, as is the flow of the film.

Clement is good as the villain, but nothing special, as are the aliens, they used to be the main things about this film, but the are not very spectacular.

I laughed twice throughout the whole film, so it's not the funniest thing out there, but it's amusing.

So it's a lot better than I feared, but this is all thanks to the fabulous ending, if it wasn't for this, it would have been a sorry excuse for a film, it's a shame that the rest of the film isn't as good as this.

4.0 out of 5 stars LET'S GO METS!, 18 July 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
If you have seen the first two films you already know the plot. J and K battle special effect aliens to save the planet. Add some minor eye candy and a little cheese and we have a hit movie. In this one there is the element of time travel which excited me as much as the aliens did in Indian Jones when I found out about it. However, it works out well.

There is no introduction of characters. The film assumes you know them and the MIB story. They pick up with the same running gags as the previous films, only now they have lost some humor. J is the only person not effected by the change in time, he is still part of MIB, and is the only person alive who remembers K who dies 40 years ago.

Josh Brolin plays the 1969 agent K magnificently. Interesting aspect of the past life of K. I loved the NY Mets of 1969. Good climax scene for the big screen although I would wait for the DVD (you're going to add it to your collection anyway).

No f-boms, sex, or nudity

4.0 out of 5 stars 'ONE STEP FOR MANKIND ?, 10 Sep 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
''Don't ask questions, you don't want to know the answer to.........after 10-years absence 'Tommy lee' and ''Will smith'' return to their M.I.B roles with the usual mix of tongue-in-cheek action, superb one-liners and grotesque creatures.
In present day 'Boris the animal has escaped his long-term imprisonment, he seeks revenge for the loss of his arm and capture finding his way back to 1969, 'Boris the Animal' (Jemaine Clement) intends to change history.
Agent 'J' (Will Smith) has to travel back to that time to save his future partner 'K' (Josh Brolin (young K) from 'Boris' (Tommy Lee as
'K' the older) ( of course 'K' doesn't know 'J' yet )
However the past and the future arn't so very far apart.
With the usual mix of light hearted nonsense along with some interesting character's coupled with great graphics.........to.......enjoy of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Men in black history, 17 Dec 2014
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I AM fortunate to hAve found this men in black 3 dvd At my wAlmArt job At A special promotional holiday price that Allowed me to pAy less thAn two dollArs. Will Smith, Tommy lee Jones, And Josh Brolin stAr in this movie that centers Around the men hAving to travel bAck in time to sAve the world, Almost like A sci-fi version of the Back To the Future pARt two, except Men In BlAck 3 goes bAck to 1969. Josh Brolin plAYs the 1969 version of Tommy lee Jone’s Agent k. As with the Bill And Ted And Back to the Future movies, Men In BlAck 3 plAys with the idea of what would A mAn or woman do if they too could go bAck in time. I read today in A Yahoo news Article that there is tAlk of remaking Men In BlAck without Tommy Lee Jones And Will Smith At least mAking A cAmeo. Unless a prequel is being mAde, I respectfully disagree with not including Jones And Smith in the new movies because the unique spirit that both Tommy Lee Jones And Will Smith gAve to their Men In BlAck chArActers would mAke Any remake pAle in comparison. I even Asked my husband for his opinion on the story because he wAs the one who convinced me to go with him to see Men In BlAck 3 in the movie theAters when it wAs released nAtionwide in the U.S. my husband Also does not Agree with the idea of A men in BlAck film remake without Tommy lee jones And Will Smith. The following bonus feAtures Are Also included with the men in black 3 dvd; sony pictures Advertisement, movie trAilers for the AmAzing spidermAn And total recall 92012 movie remake), And special feAtures such As pArtners in time; the mAking of mib3, A gAg reel, And the bAck in time music video by musician pitbull.

3.0 out of 5 stars men in black go back 3, 8 Jun 2012
A decade away from the movie scene has given the Men In Black series a chance at a fresher, newer perspective. Taking its cue from Shrek Forever After, MIB 3 takes on a tired concept (time travel in this case) if only to acknowledge the failure of its dull sequel and take us back to a different era allowing us to view the franchise from an unsullied angle. The result is a film that returns to its roots and gives audiences the chance to relive much of what they first enjoyed - a smart, sci-fi, buddy comedy that embraces everything weird and wonderful about the unknown universe.

In his first cinematic role in nearly 4 years, Will Smith's Agent J is the usual charming, witty wiseass we expect him to be. Still teamed up with the laconic Agent K (wrinkly Tommy Lee Jones) he is no closer to cracking his older partners deadpan demeanour but their relationship issues take a back seat when a nemesis from Kay's past, Boris the animal, turns up to exact revenge for having been imprisoned on the moon 40 years ago. His elaborate plan takes him back in the past, to the day he was caught, and sets ripples in the present, where K no longer exists and a different reality results. J has to then literally time jump (off the Empire State building no less) and fix the past for normalcy to return in the present.

The films primary achievement and a true signal of its return to form though are the scenes set in the past. Not only is Josh Brolin a deadringer for Tommy Lee's K during his youth, but the hip musical vibes of the late 60's/early 70's allow for plenty of playfulness to ensue with a particularly hilarious segment devoted to Andy Warhol. If that isn't enough, everything very neatly ties into another epochal scientific moment from that time period and ends on a moment of curiously satisfying emotionality that provides not only closure to the film but the series as a whole. If that doesn't make you forgive all the wrongs that the sequel did and embrace this film as one of the years better movie franchise offerings the only thing that might work on you is a neuralizer.

5.0 out of 5 stars great film, 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
excellent film for all the family, that is why I rate it 5 stars and I would recommend to a friend

Men in Black III (Blu-ray 3D + UV Copy) [2012][Region B/C]