4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Toaster
Published on 21 Oct 2010 by H. Omer

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard bread just doesn't fit!
Published on 6 Dec 2011 by mumoftwins!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Toaster, 21 Oct 2010
H. Omer (London) - See all my reviews
I decided to buy this brand as it seemed a very good price for a 4 slice, and was slim in design so wouldn't take up too much room on my counter. So far, it's working very well, browns toast evenly and on No.3 toasts well done, so don't have the button too high. You can fit in 4 sandwich loaf slices of bread or put 2 slices of a different shaped loaf in sideways, so it's flexible to accommodate your bread shape and size. Very happy with the product, only down side is that the 'silver' colour, which I thought would match my silver fridge, is more a dull grey in reality. However, unless you're very fussy about aesthetics, it won't bother you. Good product, good price, and came much earlier than the several weeks stated when you order. Packaged securely with instruction booklet in English.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Toaster, 27 Oct 2010
I picked this toaster as I'd owned a Kenwood in the past which had given up the ghost, and I longed for a four slice which wasnt expensive. Im really happy with my choice, it browns well, I have to say mostly I use it on minimum but it really is fine for the money. It has a great cancel function, which I use all the time and the defrost feature is also very handy, especially when taking individual crumpets out of the freezer and toasting...worked perfectly. I would say though, that Warburtons' sliced bread doesnt quite fit in tall ways, so I end up placing it on its side, which reverts the toaster to a 2 slice for that particular bread, but its never bothered me, Im absolutely delighted with this toaster, no problems at all and a month of happy use so far. Oh and also, its more like grey in my opinion...!

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard bread just doesn't fit!, 6 Dec 2011
This review is from: Breville VTT233 Black 4 Slice Toaster (Kitchen & Home)
Very disappointed as standard size bread doesn't fit in it! We use Hovis medium sliced bread and the top 1 - 1.5cm sticks out the top and never browns (just gets warm!)... and two slices won't fit sideways on either, the toaster just isn't wide enough or deep enough. Apart from that, the bits of the bread it does reach are nice and evenly toasted, and it looks nice!
**update ** I emailed Breville asking if there was any adjustability. Their reply "In recent years due to the many sizes and thicknesses of bread that are now available as a company we have had to accommodate for this by manufacturing various styles of toasters which are suitable for different sizes of bread.
Obviously in your case the unit you have purchased is only suitable for the smaller sizes of bread.If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase we would advise that you return it to place of purchase for exchange for a toaster that better suits your needs."
The only bread that would have fitted in comfortably would have been that Nimble diet bread...!
So now, apparently, I'm supposed to tell Breville what size bread I need to toast, and they will recommend a toaster!
Wouldn't it be nice if they give you details within the product specification, otherwise Amazon, I think you're going to have a lot of 2nd hand toasters full of breadcrumbs coming back your way!
This one will be going back, but how the heck are you supposed to be sure of getting one that your bread does fit in to!

4.0 out of 5 stars Toasts well, shame about the colour!, 5 Jan 2011
As toasters go it does what it should, although it is rather stretching things to call it a 4 slice toaster. Four slices of bread from a small loaf - no problem, but it is not deep enough to cope with 4 slices of a normal loaf standing up. It will do 3 slices from a full size loaf if you cut 1 slice in half and toast one and a half slices per side with the bread on its side.

The controls are easy to operate and it produces nice evenly toasted bread and will cope with crumpets when on the full setting plus defrost. The cancel button ejects nicely without sending the toast airborne!

To describe the toaster as 'silver' in colour is a bit of a misnomer - prison grey or battleship grey would be nearer the mark! But what the hell, I bought it to provide me with toast, not to look at it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Excellent Toasts!, 17 Nov 2010
Mr. A. Michaelides "PrinceHeart" (London, England) - See all my reviews
I chose this particular toaster as Breville are well known for 'toasting' products. I needed a toaster that could handle taller slices of bread and oval shaped pitta breads, therefore a four-slice fitted my requirements. It makes toasts quite quickly and browns bread fairly evenly, I've even sliced my own bread and it handled that quite well too. This particular model is reasonably priced and overall I'm very happy with it, though I have to say, setting it on '2' is usually enough for normal sliced bread toasting. If you don't mind placing your taller slices of bread on their sides in the slots, then you can't really go wrong with this toaster. The only negative to report is the colour, as it seems to be advertised as being 'silver' but it's actually a 'grey' colour, but all in all (with exterior colour aside) it does what it's suppose to do... toast!

4.0 out of 5 stars Toaster, 31 Oct 2011
This review is from: Breville VTT233 Black 4 Slice Toaster (Kitchen & Home)
For me this is a great toaster, it does what it's supposed to - toast bread.

I agree with the comments regarding not big enough for 4 slices, but that does not bother me, it does take uncut bread, pittas and hot X buns sliced in half - the slots are about 25mm wide (1" in old money).

If you use uncut bread, homemade or otherwise it will toast (burn) the edges more because the crust is naturally drier because it was baked - solution is easy, turn the heat down

I assume the toaster (most toasters) are made for a world market rather than a UK market and perhaps foreign bread is made with smaller slices.

An excellent 2 slice toaster but not ideal as a 4 slice toaster although none are at this price

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 31 Dec 2010
This review is from: Breville VTT233 Black 4 Slice Toaster (Kitchen & Home)
Toaster works fine and looks good, it is not big enough for 4 pieces of bread though and browns each side unevenly.

4.0 out of 5 stars B. Payne, Hereford, 21 Aug 2010
Mrs. Barbara Payne (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville VTT233 Black 4 Slice Toaster (Kitchen & Home)
Delivery excellent. Toaster excellent value for money. It takes 4 slices of bread comfortably but it is a little more difficult to fit in burger buns.
Looks good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 July 2011
This review is from: Breville VTT233 Black 4 Slice Toaster (Kitchen & Home)
Good value for money, stylish yet still small enough to fit under the worktops without sticking out unlike the single slice 4 slot toasters. Would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 points to consider, 21 May 2011
Firstly the major point is that this toaster is NOT silver. Fortunately, I read the previous reviews and Battleship Grey matches my kitchen. How Breville can call it silver when it is clearly grey is beyond me. However the beauty of this toaster is that you can lie your 2 slices of bread sideways and the whole slice is fully toasted. Putting 4 slices in can leave the tops not fully toasted when using normal bread such as Warburtons. The toaster is excellent value and I recommend it. I preferred it to the Kenwood.

Breville VTT233 Black 4 Slice Toaster