5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!
Published on 2 Dec 2010 by Sazzler118

2.0 out of 5 stars Breakage and heat damage
Published 16 months ago by sultaana kerbelker

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 2 Dec 2010
This review is from: Remington S9500 Pearl Hair Straightener (Personal Care)
I am not one for writing reviews unless something is really good or really awful so I felt compelled to write about these straighteners. I hummed and ha'd for ages about getting new ones - I have always had GHDs, they're good at what they do but I was fed up of replacing them every couple of years. I read the reviews for these Remington ones and still was not sure what to do. Then I saw them on offer and thought I might as well get them. They are AMAZING!

I have short-ish bobbed hair that needs daily styling. Since using these, people have commented that my hair seems so much sleeker and I have fewer wispy, broken strands. Because you can choose the temperature setting, I can control how much damage I am doing. I only heat them right up for an event or a long day. For weekends, I just use a low setting to avoid scorching my hair unnecessarily. Like everything, they take a bit of getting used to - I have burned my hands a couple of times but I remember doing that when I first got GHDs! Their shape means that you can get right up close to the roots and the 11cm plates are great for getting the job done quickly!

In summary, if like me you have short, bobbed hair, I would strongly recommend. I can't comment on their performance on longer hair but from my experience of them so far, I believe they would be great.

I would gladly give them more stars, I am one very happy GHD-convert :O)

4.0 out of 5 stars A set of sleek and stylish straighteners with a few very handy features!, 26 Sep 2010
Chris Hall "DLS Reviews" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Remington S9500 Pearl Hair Straightener (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 1:58 Mins

The first thing you notice about the Remington S9500 Pearl Hair Straigteners is the product's sleek and stylish design. The floral motif on the lower-main body adds a nice little feminine touch, furthering the overall elegance of the product.

Alas, no instruction manual was included with our particular set of straighteners, but looking at the product description, I can see that there should indeed have been a manual, so I presume that this is simply a mistake with this particular order (annoying but not the end of the world).

In order to open the straighteners up, you need to flick the locking device to `unlock'. The simple plastic design of this locking-device is slightly flawed due to the stiffness of the sliding lock that is used. However, after a few go's at locking and unlocking the straighteners, you should get an idea of the pressure that is required and as such find this a little easier.

The twin ceramic plates are surprisingly thin, which for those with thicker hair, equates to a slower straightening time. As for the `Advanced Ceramic Ultimate coating with real pearl shimmer' (bit of a mouthful it must be said) that we are told increases the ceramic content by an impressive 42%, to be totally honest with you, we couldn't really notice that much of a difference between it and say a set of standard GHD's. I certainly wouldn't say that the ceramics delivered any noticeably better straightening surface.

The adjustable temperature feature, which allows the user to adjust the temperature between 150 and 235 degrees Celsius, in increments of 10 degrees (except the last increment of 5 degrees to 235) is a very handy addition, allowing for the flexibility that is needed for different straightening requirements. An example of this would be when straightening a whole head of hair from scratch, whereby one of the hotter settings would be most suitable. However, when simply `going over' your hair after already having styled it, it may be sufficient to use a much lower heat, therefore reducing possible heat damage to your hair (and saving a couple of pennies on your electricity bill).

The heating-up process is incredibly fast; going from stone-cold to fully heated (as announced by a little `beep') in around ten seconds flat! When turning the temperature down, the staighteners also `beep' when the temperature drops to the desired setting.

The compact design, with its thin and light body, allows the staighteners to be an easy accessory to travel with. The accompanying heat-proof silver bag for storing away the straighteners, folds out to form a handy heat-proof mat which the heated straighteners can be placed upon during use and whilst cooling down afterwards.

All in all, these sleek and stylish straighteners offer a few handy additional features to the overall high quality and lightweight product. The 3 metre cord and worldwide voltage compatibility show further thought to the actual usage of the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can I give this 10 stars?, 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: Remington S9500 Pearl Hair Straightener (Personal Care)
I wanted to use this for a while before writing a review, to see how it performed under different circumstances. To start with, my hair is about 4" past my shoulders, medium-thick and heavily processed with dyes/bleached highlights, then dyed again over the years. It is naturally very wavy and frizzy. I've had the lower end Remington for about 3 years now and was very pleased with it, but it started to pack it in, so I went searching for a replacement. After reading hundreds of reviews (both here and YouTube) I finally settled on the Remington Pearl.

The first thing I noticed about it was how good it felt in my hand; not cheap or flimsy at all, but a good sturdy feel to it. It heated up within seconds on 235 C. (probably about 10) and was ready to use. The straightener glided through my hair very smoothly; no pulling or snagging of any kind. I didn't even have to section my hair to get a pin-straight look and at the most, it took 2 swipes of the straightener in some sections. I was very surprised at how soft my hair felt - even the ends were soft!

So testing this out in different conditions, the first day I used it was particularly hot and humid. Within an hour, my hair would normally start to frizz and by the end of the day I'd have to re-straighten it if I were going out, but I didn't have that problem here. It was as pin-straight and soft at 7pm as it was at 7am. The next morning, I noticed that it was still very straight - didn't have to use the straightener at all, and again, it was a very hot and humid day.

The next time I used the straightener was the ultimate test. I had washed/straightened my hair 2 days prior to going into an indoor pool. Knowing I'd take a shower when I got home, I put my hair up in a very tight pony-tail in the morning. I didn't go in the pool myself - I was spectating aqua-therapy. When I got home (it was the hottest day of the year), I took my pony-tail holder out fully expecting a large kink/line across the back of my hair from it being in a tight pony-tail since morning and going through extreme heat and humidity all day. What I saw was pin-straight hair! No lines at all - you'd never know I wore my hair in a pony all day. I was very, very pleased.

I've also tested this by walking the dog in late night dew/mist - which would have frizzed my hair like crazy, but it didn't frizz at all. I've never had a straightener that kept my hair so very straight under these kinds of conditions. I can walk/hike for miles in heat and humidity and sweat like crazy knowing my hair won't kink or frizz or lose it's straightness or softness.

Without question, these are the best hair straighteners anyone can buy at any price. Not even my hair dressers GHD's gave my straight hair lasting powder like these can.

The carry pouch that comes with the straighteners is lovely with room to put extra little hair things in and protects the straighteners quite well. The temperature buttons on the side of the straightener does not interfere with the use of the straightener. I've got big hands and it's not a problem; besides, you can lock your temperature setting so that if you do accidentally push the temperature up/down button during straightening, it won't move.

I was debating on getting the Remington Keratin straighteners instead of these, but after seeing on YouTube how the strip of Keratin is "elevated" on the plate, and the complaints people had about it leaving a "dented" line in their hair, I chose the Pearl instead and am very glad with my decision. I can't imagine how these could be improved - they are, in my opinion, THE best straighteners available.

2.0 out of 5 stars Breakage and heat damage, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Remington S9500 Pearl Hair Straightener (Personal Care)
This product depends on the hair type. I have thin hair but curly. When using this it would make my hair feel rough and break off. If I turned the setting lower then it would do nothing. I used it on a friend with a thick and course hair texture and it worked great for her. For my hair type I would stick to a ghd. Smooth and soft just use a heat protectant. I would suggest this product to people with thick and course hair.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good while they lasted, 15 Oct 2012
This review is from: Remington S9500 Pearl Hair Straightener (Personal Care)
These were really good but after 7 months started turning themselves off before they'd heated up...then just didn't turn on at all. What a shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remington S9500 Pearl Hair Straightener, 22 Nov 2010
This review is from: Remington S9500 Pearl Hair Straightener (Personal Care)
I found these straightener fanastic. Heated up really quickly and glided through my hair. I have fine hair so only had the setting on 200 but this was just right and my hair really shined. I would recommend these to anybody.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Waste of Money, 23 Nov 2012
This review is from: Remington S9500 Pearl Hair Straightener (Personal Care)
I have now purchased 2 of the exact same model. Both have lasted a grand total of 6 months and either stopped working or sparked. GHD here I come. You get what you pay for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain and as good as leading straighteners!, 7 Oct 2014
This review is from: Remington S9500 Pearl Hair Straightener (Personal Care)
Fantastic for the price! ...have always used GHDs but just didnt have the funds to replace them ..unhappily I bought these but they really are just as good!...hair seemed to have less breakage than with GHDs too....once you get used to adjusting the heat! My hair is very curly and these straighten it faster than my GHDs did. The only reason I didnt give them 5 stars is because I found adjusting the heat took some getting used to and the instructions a little confusing but soon sorted with a bit of practice!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 25 Jan 2011
This review is from: Remington S9500 Pearl Hair Straightener (Personal Care)
I have owned quite a few Remington straighteners in the last ?? ten years and never been disappointed until I used this one. I have always preferred Remington straighteners over GHD's as they make my hair look too flat!

Good points
1 Heat up really quickly!
2 I have not burnt my ear of fingers yet when curling/ straightening my hair - the heated plates seem to be protected more
3 Very good price on Amazon - glad I spent a lot less than in the shops!
4 Good cord length
5 Good 5 year guarantee

Points I am disappointed about

1 When compared to my previous Remington straighteners these just are not as effective in -straightening my hair! I have to go through the same section of hair aprox 4 - 5 times. (please note the section I clip off is not too big and I only had to go through it once or twice on my old set).
2 I feel the plates are slightly slimmer / maybe too sleek for my personal liking??
3 My hair has not felt or looked any better as claimed by some people who have used this product, in fact I have noted today after trying them again yesterday my hair feels almost straw like.
4 Petty but the bag to keep them in is a bit cheap looking and had lots of marks/ dents on it.

I have only used this product six times and have reverted back to using my old pair.

30/03/2011 Since writing the review above I have tried to use these straighteners for a a couple of weeks as so many people have written positive comments and I wondered if it was just me. After using them I have had to have about three inches cut off of my hair! Although I use heat protection spray and plenty of conditioner these straighteners totally dried the ends of my hair out and I developed the worst splits ends in my life. I wore a black top out and it was smothered with broken bits of hair. I am so upset I have had to get my hair cut!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior quality and performance - and a joy to use, 23 Aug 2010
KWren "KWren" (Wye Valley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Remington S9500 Pearl Hair Straightener (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are undoubtedly the best hair straighteners I have ever used.

They have a feel of superior quality with their attractive smooth, sleek black design with a pearlised cherry blossom pattern and they are easy to use and grip. Heat up time is as rapid as promised on the box reaching 235 degrees in just 10 seconds with the temperature indicated by a clear display.

As for performance in use, I have very thick, very heavy, wavy and slightly coarse red hair with a mind of its own - a challenge for any straighteners so a weekend of high humidity and associated frizz was the perfect time to put them to the test. I was surprised by just how smoothly they slid through and tamed my untidy tresses and their performance was nothing short of outstanding - even without having to use the maximum temperature. With the variable temperature control via + and - buttons, I was able to test throughout the range and then press the button to lock the temperature at a constant 190 for best results - straight, shiny hair for the first time ever! In between layers, there was no cooling so no time wasted for them to re-heat - unlike cheaper models.

With 11cm plates, it would be very quick and easy to straighten much longer hair than mine (just below shoulder length) so these would be ideally suited to anyone looking for straighteners for regular use, particularly if you have little time and want them to heat up quickly, do the job and then be left at home on the included heat-resistant mat while you head out - and, if you forget to switch them off, there's an automatic shut-down after an hour for safety. Also, if you're in a rush then you can pop them straight into their heat-proof carry case with no need to allow them to cool down (which takes a good 20 minutes as they retain their heat - so can still be used while switched off!).

These straighteners are a joy to use and offer a touch of luxurious extravagance matching their high-performance. Being so well-made, you feel that they're going to last for a long time - and so does the manufacturer whose product confidence is reassuringly backed by a full 5 year warranty.

Highly recommended as a product that's going to offer long-lasting performance.

Remington S9500 Pearl Hair Straightener