4.0 out of 5 stars Works well but has a limited life span...
If repeat ordering is a recommendation, then I must like this mouse, since this is the third one I've bought.

Published on 4 Jan. 2013 by FictionFan

2.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish scroll wheel.
Not a bad mouse apart from the scroll wheel which I think is absolute rubbish. It feels loose and has very little precision in either "click" mode or "freewheel" mode. In fact when in freewheel mode the thing is so loose that just moving the mouse around the desktop can cause it to scroll.
The biggest drawback for me is that the middle button is hopeless. Trying to...
Published on 13 Oct. 2011 by Paul Nicholls

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well but has a limited life span..., 4 Jan. 2013
FictionFan (Kirkintilloch, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse - Black (Electronics)

Genuinely plug'n'play, this is very easy to set up - stick in the dongle, wait a few seconds and it's ready to go. It has all the usual functions, most of which I never use. It moves smoothly even without a mousemat and I find the scroll wheel works very well - getting it to go at the required speed and stop at the looked for place becomes second nature after a while. But what makes this mouse my favourite is the ergonomic design - it fits my hand perfectly and as a result I get far less discomfort in my wrist than some other mice (mouses?) have caused.

On the downside, the reason that this is my third is that I find the mouse tends not to last for more than a year to eighteen months or so before the buttons or wheel start to stick. Each time I think I should try a different brand but after much browsing I come back to this one because, when it's working, it works very well and because I find it so comfortable to use. So recommended but with reservations.

Edit: December 2014 and still going strong this time...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality Mouse, 24 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse - Black (Electronics)
As usual, Logitech have created a rock solid mouse that is comfortable, stylish and functional. The design and build quality is excellent - fits perfectly in my hand, responsive and no rattles or dodgy joins.
My only gripe is that the free scrolling wheel is so sensitive that it can respond to general mouse movement. But the well-placed scroll-switcher means I can set it to clicked scrolling to negate that.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish scroll wheel., 13 Oct. 2011
Paul Nicholls (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse - Black (Electronics)
The biggest drawback for me is that the middle button is hopeless. Trying to hold this button in to pan around a drawing in AutoCad or Vectorworks is very hit and miss - 90% miss actually. Just for this reason alone I will not be keeping it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrible mouse in many ways, 20 Sept. 2014
LY (UK, Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse - Black (Electronics)
Bought this to replace my LX8 because the wheel was becoming unresponsive but, this is horrible in both design and functionality.

I'm sure most people take the mouse wheel for granted these days but after using this mouse, you will appreciate what difference a good mouse wheel makes.

This mouse wheel has two modes - quick scroll and notch mode. In notch mode, it is very noisy because it is very loose, rocking from side to side as you scroll. It's so loose, you can hardly use it as a middle button. Most of the time it either doesn't do anything at all when you click it or, if you regularly use it to open new windows in browsers you end up scrolling down the page more often than not. Switching to quick scroll mode is a lot quieter and the wheel is no longer loose but using it as a middle button suffers from the same problems as in notch mode.

The second design I dislike (although all recent Logitech mice seem to be the same) is how the extra nav buttons have been moved to a single side. I preferred the past design where they were separated on both sides which is more intuitive in my opinion for using as back/forward, undo/redo etc.

Perhaps the worse of all is interference. I have a wireless router in the same room but it has never affected the LX8. However with this mouse, sometimes it is almost unusable - from freezing briefly to jumping around the screen. I thought it was a battery issue but even at 100%, it did not make a difference.

Good points? I would probably say battery life. I tried using batteries that could no longer operate my LX8, this mouse still managed to last for 5 months at 10% charge. It's also quite small which would suit carrying around in a bag or if you have small hands like me.

On the whole, I would recommend steering well away from this wireless mouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars After using it for a few weeks..., 29 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse - Black (Electronics)
I've been using this mouse for some 20 days now. So far it's working great. The laser technology is really nice, mouse works well and smooth on shiny polished table, where my old optical mouse would constantly jump around, so I don't need to use mouse mat any more. It slides very smoothly. It's comfortable, hand doesn't get tired even after using the mouse all day.

Seems like battery will hold for ever. Logitech software for adjusting mouse settings also has the Remaining Battery info. When I first turned on the mouse, it said "1045 days remaining." Now it's 1088.

The only drawback I can see right now is using the mouse wheel as a middle button. When pressing it, the wheel also scrolls just a tiny bit. This makes it difficult to middle-click on links that are somewhere on a page. For those who don't know, middle-click opens link in a new tab. I solved this by duplicating the hidden thumb button as a middle button, all that is done using the Logitech software which you'll need to download from their website. Other than that, all buttons work as expected, although maybe the Forward browser button might be a bit too far forward for my mid-sized hand. Not very important though, since I barely ever need to use it. The Back button is in a perfect spot.

It is taking a while to get used to the mouse though. With my previous one (and all public mice, when using university computers), I knew perfectly well how much I need to move it to reach a link on a page or something. With this one it's somehow difficult. The mouse acceleration and enhanced pointing options are difficult to predict, but without them mouse is a bit sluggish. But this is probably my personal problem, not a fault of the manufacturers.

==EDIT==

After using the mouse for a while longer I noticed that the previous issue with mouse wheel has disappeared, it works perfectly. The problem with unpredictable mouse movement was solved by uninstalling the Logitech software, everything works fine now. Also, I still have a lot of battery life left, it looks like it will actually last me 3 years.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good value for the money!, 20 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse - Black (Electronics)
After little more than a year this mouse has given up the ghost with its scroll wheel, in fact it is so slow as to be frustrating, I bought Logitech because I have always found their products to be good value for money and reliable, all my Logitech keyboards and previous mice have given excellent service, but this has disappointed me, and at the price I paid I would have expected more, I am afraid this has proved to me that paying top dollar does not always mean top quality, I will now be purchasing a far cheaper replacement and hope that I may get a little more use from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING Mouse, 21 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse - Black (Electronics)
I don't know what the guy is going on about with the scroll wheel - the scroll wheel is fantastic.
The black button in front of the wheel changes the scroll from bumpy to 'non-bumpy' and as well as the two buttons on the side (which go back on forward on your internet explorer, and can also be used on games) there is a button on the bottom of the left side which lets you change tasks.

Overall it is an excellent mouse with lots of buttons, a very comfortable fit on the hand, and a durable feel.
Recommended greatly. (BTW it comes with two Duracell batteries.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not without fault..., 14 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse - Black (Electronics)
Hmm, I am not sure about this mouse...

Ergonomically speaking, as a place to rest your hand, this mouse is brilliant. The battery life is also phenomenal. Plug and play defines how easily this mouse is initially set up. These are all strong attributes.

However, despite the ergonomic feeling of the mouse when just moving the cursor, the interface (pressable bits) of the mouse are sub-optimal.

Most tricky of all is the scrolling wheel. Whilst the fast-scroll function is useful for blasting to the top or bottom of long excel, .PDF docs or web pages, the wheel itself feels rather wooly. Couple this to the fact that it has a left and right push function and suddenly a small part of the mouse that most manufacturers do well becomes imprecise and frustrating.

I often 'middle click' to open a new tab within a browser window. Sadly, owing to the poorly defined left and right functions of the wheel, I often find myself treble or quadruple clicking jut to open one tab. Furthermore, when very slow, precise and deliberate, the minimum number of clicks from opening one tab to the next with 'middle click' is two. I dislike this intensely.

To add a little positive at the end of a somewhat disappointing review, thiere is a programme downloadable form logitech which allows programming of all of the 7 mouse buttons. This can make life very quick, especially if you use certain keyboard shortcuts a lot. My favourites are switch tab, copy, paste and undo; these are all programmable, which is nice...

5.0 out of 5 stars Happily buy another one!, 31 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse - Black (Electronics)
I spend most of my day sitting in front of a computer for work, and the comfort of a mouse has never really meant much to me.
after using the M705, I find it impossible to use other peoples computers, as the shape and style of their mouse just does not seem to fit into my hand.
This mouse appears to be perfectly designed to fit the shape of your hand, and works with great ease....as long as you are right handed.
The 'SetPoint Settings' software was a great surprise also. the 8 different buttons on the mouse can all be programmed to do whatever you wish. This can also be changed to have different operations, depending on which programme you are running at the time!
Where two buttons may be forward and backward on the web browser, can then become, copy and paste on a word document.
this in itself has increased my productivity at at work, as it has saved me using pesky keyboard shortcuts on various other programs.
The 8 functional buttons are not overly sized, or too busy and clumsy either.
The scroll wheel has its standard click down button, along with a left and right click. all three are useful, and I personally have them set for different things depending on the program in use. However, i do feel that sometimes, the left and right click of the wheel can sometimes be pressed accidental, while trying to use the centre click down button.
this in itself is no great issue, but does sometimes mean I end up Zooming on pages when simply trying to select something.
All in all....great piece of kit!
The three buttons on the thumb side are quite smoothly in place. the fairly standard 'page forward and page backward' buttons are there. with ease of use, there is no complaints with these.
the third button is below your thumb. To start with i didnt even notice it was there. it is designed into the shape of the mouse, and is easily miss-able. had it not been for the the small grey mark near the bottom. this is no way a complaint, as it just just shows how well another function can be hidden into the mouse.
All in all....great piece of kit!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Will never be worth buying for any price, 4 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse - Black (Electronics)
The mouse, on the surface, seems quite pleasant - ergonomic, both the actual product and the receiver, and being able top stow the receiver away inside the mouse itself is quite nifty. The extra buttons are always nice, they are customisable which is an added bonus, and the free-scroll mode of the two-mode scroll wheel is amusing if nothing else, but can obviously be set back to the 'regular' mode.

The problem, however, comes with the actual tracking of the mouse. It does not feel at all right. No matter how much you twiddle the settings, either in its own software, or on your computer, or both, you can't get it to feel right. If you spend enough time, you can make it feel acceptable, but coming back to it after using any £5, standard, bargain basement wired optical mouse makes you realise how frustrating it is. I read speculation that the cause of this is that the laser sensor on the bottom of the mouse is not centred, it is way out to the right side of the mouse, but whatever the case, there is no way to make this mouse feel normal, and so it fails at its primary function. It is not a satisfactory product, I would never recommend that someone purchase it, and it will now forever sit on the shelf beside my second hand, £4, fully functioning wired mouse. It is not worth buying for any price.

Logitech M705 Wireless Mouse - Black