on 15 December 2010
The Discover keyboard is one of the simplist midi devices I have ever come accross.
Installation was as simple as removing it from the box and plugging it in. Drivers were installed automatically, and using it was simply a case of selecting the "ION Keyboard" entry in my chosen music program.

The keyboard itself is surprisingly robust, and the 25 velocity-sensitive keys actually feel weighty enough to play. The keys themselves are very small, as expected for such a dinky keyboard, but large enough to remain playable even with my chunky-sized hands.
Best of all, and most surprising of all for me, was that there is practically no lag with this keyboard, as has been a problem with other MIDI-USB devices I have used.

Overall, a fantastic item to have at your computer desk - takes up very little space, and is always ready for a bout of creativity. I've even begun to use this whilst onstage, using it to control a lighting system, and have found no problems with it. Highly reccomended.
on 31 December 2011
I was looking for a cheap and small midi keyboard for when i get idea's for songs and can quickly record them, being rescricted with space but having alot of keyboard/synthesizer related equipment causes me to take about 5 minutes to set everything up so i wanted something for on the fly recording.

I'm surprised about the build quality, if i'm honest at that price i wasn't expecting a very strong or durable feeling plastic or keys it feels like playing on a regular midi keyboards apart from smaller keys, which are the size of a Microkorg's keys, its really easy to play and just a little more harder than my standard sized 25 midi keyboard, its harder in the fact the keys are smaller but it has its benifits, reaching keys for certain chords and leads is alot easer since the key distance is effectivley halfed.

The features are pretty good too i couldn't believe it features keys with velocity, i've not read the instructions yet to check out the program button capabilities but i'm sure they'll be similar to regular midi keyboards, also the pitch bend buttons are a nice addition for something this small, you can't adjust the pitch like a slider but it does sound pretty nice with certain sounds if your creative with how you play, the buttons all feel well built and the pitch and octaive keys light up to let you know your lower down the keyscale or pushing the pitch bend buttons.

Now on to the USB, it comes with a decent sized cable, about a meter long i think by looking at it, it connects with a mini usb going into the keyboard and then a normal sized usb into your computer, i'm using usb 1.0 for it via a usb port on my typing keyboard and the latency is super low, i've not even bothered to try it out on usb 2.0 or 3.0 on my computers usb ports, i've not given the free software a go however it works instantly for me on windows 7 with Reason and Ableton, however reading other reviews on here i'd not bother getting it if you plan to use a mac unless you know what your doing as it doesn't seem as easy as plugging it in on mac.

I'm giving this five stars as i feel the build quality is great, the keys are quiet and sturdy and just like regular keys on a good quality keyboard from the likes of yamaha and roland, i also love the fact i can play it on my lap, its a weird sensation but i'm comfortable recording even in a small room with my laptop or desktop pc, its also one of the smallest midi keyboards i've ever seen easy to play and great value for money, you could charge twice the value for this and it would still feel like it was worth it.
on 1 October 2011
Literally love this keyboard. its good for learning music and producing music on softwares such as fl studio. only problem is the learning cd because its a lite version providing limited features.
on 20 December 2011
Ordered this to go alongside Piano playing for Dummies so that my mum can see on screen the mistakes she makes and so on. Upon receiving they keyboard I realised it actually came with tutorial software itself so could have saved myself some money! The size of the keyboard is more than adequate, not too small and with keys plenty big enough for normal sized hands. Good product and good price.
on 20 January 2012
I bought this keyboard, not as a teaching tool, but is a trigger to use my sound module for in my studio. Space was a real problem for me and I required something small that could sit on a desk and be easily hidden and afterwards.

This item does exactly what I needed it to do. easy to use, nice feel to the keyboard...rememeber you will never get proper keyboard actin from anything this small. Simple to play and for the most part was just Plug and Play. Great value for money and had no problems with it.
on 16 June 2014
I was pleased with the look of the item. Installation of software was quick but the application of turning the keyboard sound was a little difficult to master. The sound quality was good and the touch delay was acceptable for use.
on 18 February 2013
I bought this as I wanted some thing a little smaller than a keyboard just to practice on and it did just that! The only problem I had was that the software that comes with the keyboard runs out and then you have to purchase it and without purchasing the software you can not use the keyboard which I didn't think would happen but overall it is a good little keyboard!
on 20 January 2012
I have bought Korg Nanokey before, but a few keys fell off. Then I decided to try this product, as it is cheaper and reviews are good. While Korg Nanokey has toy-like keys that looks like spacebar cut half and put vertical, this ION Discover Keyboard has a real keyboard feeling with a much better touch. But the drawback is, it is also a bit bigger than the Korg one, a bit longer than my 13" Macbook and almost double as thick. It looks similar to Akai LKP25, but I haven't tried Akai before so cannot compare.

The bad thing is installation. It said it is plug-and-play on both windows and mac. But I have problem trying to install it on my macbook (snow leopard). It doesn't recognize the keyboard at all. Then I saw the other comments and tried to install it on Windows first (luckily I have both system installed). After restart, I could finally detect the keyboard in Mac, and use it with any music softwares, although it doesn't appear in the Audio-MIDI setup. (Normally an icon should appear.) Also note that the two programs, pianissimo VST plugin and the education program are also for Windows only.

The package is badly designed (transparent plastic cover on top and a big card board behind the product). I must tear it off to get the product inside, meaning that the package cannot be reused. While Korg Nanokey has a very nice tiny box that I can carry in my backpack easily. I have to find another box to protect it as I carry it a lot from home to school. Hope the company can improve the package. But for such a price, it is a real deal.
on 10 March 2012
I bought this as a small and very portable keyboard for my iPad. Connected via the standard USB camera adapter it works fine with a with most apps I've tried so far. A very affordable alternative if you don't get on with the touch screen keyboard.
on 16 November 2011
When installing on Mac isn't as it says - I was taken to Crossover, a program on mac that converts pc files. Eventually I got it working but out-with the stalling instructions.
Some, most really, of the keys tend to 'slide up' to the true note when playing slightly faster - effective on the occasional note only.
77 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse