Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 February 2016
5 1/2 years ago, I bought this album by Klaxons.
I've tried really hard to like it, but I just can't.
There's nothing there.

The tunes are good, and the singer's voice is perfectly fine, but the overall package (production, instrumentation, drum noises, heart) is lacking.
I put Twin Flames, my favourite track, on a compilation CD I made for my brother, and he reviewed it thus:
'That Klaxons song really doesn't do it for me.'
You can't say more than that.

Credit to the guys who did the artwork, as that is an outstanding cover.
on 23 August 2010
Well, i was given Myths of the Near Future to listen to 2-3 years ago having only heard 'it's not over yet' which i thought was poor and no different to the usual stuff churned out by modern bands.
Needles to say i loved the rest of the album and was hoping 'Surfing the Void' would match it.

In my opinion, some of the stand out tracks from Myths of the Near Future are better than those on Surfing the Void.
However, as a whole i think their new album matches their excellent debut as it has less poor songs. MOTNF had 5-6 great songs and a few poor-average ones. Surfing the Void has 10 really good songs.

I disagree with another reviewer saying the song' Surfing the Void' didn't stand out as being good as i think it's one of the better songs on the album. It's possibly the most similar to songs from the previous album.

All in all i think this release stands up well against the last..and retains a higher overall quality throughout, with slightly less brilliant highlights.
I can't see fans of Myths of the Near Future being dissapointed with this in all honesty.
on 21 August 2010
This album is being plagued with bad reviews from the press, being compared with the success of the mercury prize winning Myths of the near Future. Although not as good as the first it still holds it's own. This album doesn't seem to have any radio or chart friendly songs, but as an album it works perfectly, which is how it should be right?
on 26 June 2013
This is one of the best albums I have heard for years. And that is a lot of years to hear music in since I'm 56 years old and love everything from classical music to heavy metal, rap to opera and folk to jazz. Yes, of course I can spot influences here but it is still brightly original and deserving of a lot more praise than the reviews here are giving it. The tunes are fresh and not just hackneyed old indie throwbacks to the Beatles. If anything, the roots of the influence here is a lot further back in the very old Canterbury scene that was even before my time. The spaciness of it is wonderful and without the wind and woosh effects of Hawkwind achieves something similar. I'm sure it isn't for everyone. I know it would be far too noisy for my partner but I find myself coming back and listening to this again and again, which is not true of many modern bands. The last album to give me this kind of buzz was Peter Fox's Stadtaffe, an album worth learning German for.
on 23 August 2010
I loved Klaxons first album 'Myths of the Near Future' and anything following was going to be hard to follow up in my opinion, but I think 'Surfing the Void' is damn close. For me the standout tracks are Echoes and Flashover, being the most catchy but the others are not to be ignored. If you liked the first album then get this one - it's not the same but you won't be disappointed.
on 22 August 2010
Surfing the Void is not perfect. But as a whole its a better album than their previous effort. Not a great deal of 'singles' and there are 1 or 2 tracks that don't stand out (Twin Flames & Surfing the Void)

On my first listen i only really connected with a select few of the songs but after my 4th listen i'm now a big fan of the more powerful Klaxons. For example on first hearing 'Flashover' i thought it was fairly awful but it has no emerged as a favourite.

The bass in this album is phenomenal, like no other i have heard before. The bassist completely owns this record!!!
Oh and lead single 'Echoes' is a contender for song of the year, no doubt!
on 28 August 2010
Im not a fan of the band but when i read some of the reviews I was drawn to listen to the album and I love it.Its powerful rock with an alternative twist. The songs are well crafted,intelligent and creative. This is one of my albums of the year along with crystal castles II & MIA's MAYA. Unlike most people I think this is a positive step forward from the first album. Great stuff
on 5 October 2010
Of Klaxons I only knew the French market only mini LP 'Magick' (including the mighty 'Atlantis To Interzone') and the quite good single 'Golden Skans'. I still kinda like those records but not to the point of waiting with baited breath for the new album. Which I finally bought. On 'Surfing The Void', there are only 3 or 4 tracks out of 10 you might come back to after one or two listens: track 8, tracks 5 and 9 (in a tie-in) and, at a push, track 10. Gone is the ravey feel, in is the 'I'm a serious, quite grown-up, pushing the envelope artist' feel. Dispappointing, to say the least.
on 11 September 2010
Liked the first album Myths which got much critical acclaim. This is much better its darker, more intricate, heavier and more taxing. Probably why the critics don't get it. Reminded me a lot of Mansun "Six". Needs a few listens but a real grower.
on 16 October 2012
i really liked the first track of the album and that is what i based my purchase on (wrongly), this lead to dissappointment when i listened to the rest of the album as it felt slighlty disjointed and just wasnt to my taste at all