4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent.
This album is being plagued with bad reviews from the press, being compared with the success of the mercury prize winning Myths of the near Future. Although not as good as the first it still holds it's own. This album doesn't seem to have any radio or chart friendly songs, but as an album it works perfectly, which is how it should be right?
Published on 21 Aug 2010 by Ben_Fox

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 * and 1/2
Published on 5 Oct 2010 by Stan FREDO

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 21 Aug 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Surfing the Void (Audio CD)
The Klaxons sophomore album was not as immediate as their debut but over time it will grow on you and you will find yourself singing the cool numbers in your head without realizing it. A truly great UK band who deserve to have had more success than they have

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album!, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Surfing the Void (Audio CD)
I can't believe I got such a brilliant album for such a small price! They've a lot more dissonant/raucous sounds in this one! Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a brilliant album, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: Surfing the Void (Audio CD)
This is one of the best albums I have heard for years. And that is a lot of years to hear music in since I'm 56 years old and love everything from classical music to heavy metal, rap to opera and folk to jazz. Yes, of course I can spot influences here but it is still brightly original and deserving of a lot more praise than the reviews here are giving it. The tunes are fresh and not just hackneyed old indie throwbacks to the Beatles. If anything, the roots of the influence here is a lot further back in the very old Canterbury scene that was even before my time. The spaciness of it is wonderful and without the wind and woosh effects of Hawkwind achieves something similar. I'm sure it isn't for everyone. I know it would be far too noisy for my partner but I find myself coming back and listening to this again and again, which is not true of many modern bands. The last album to give me this kind of buzz was Peter Fox's Stadtaffe, an album worth learning German for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done for being adventurous on the second outing, 11 Sep 2010
This review is from: Surfing the Void (Audio CD)
Liked the first album Myths which got much critical acclaim. This is much better its darker, more intricate, heavier and more taxing. Probably why the critics don't get it. Reminded me a lot of Mansun "Six". Needs a few listens but a real grower.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than expected, 28 Aug 2010
This review is from: Surfing the Void (Audio CD)
Im not a fan of the band but when i read some of the reviews I was drawn to listen to the album and I love it.Its powerful rock with an alternative twist. The songs are well crafted,intelligent and creative. This is one of my albums of the year along with crystal castles II & MIA's MAYA. Unlike most people I think this is a positive step forward from the first album. Great stuff

4.0 out of 5 stars Creditable second album, 23 Aug 2010
Mrs. C. J. Jones "Boudicca23" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surfing the Void (Audio CD)
I loved Klaxons first album 'Myths of the Near Future' and anything following was going to be hard to follow up in my opinion, but I think 'Surfing the Void' is damn close. For me the standout tracks are Echoes and Flashover, being the most catchy but the others are not to be ignored. If you liked the first album then get this one - it's not the same but you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cliched but...a grower!, 22 Aug 2010
This review is from: Surfing the Void (Audio CD)
Surfing the Void is not perfect. But as a whole its a better album than their previous effort. Not a great deal of 'singles' and there are 1 or 2 tracks that don't stand out (Twin Flames & Surfing the Void)

On my first listen i only really connected with a select few of the songs but after my 4th listen i'm now a big fan of the more powerful Klaxons. For example on first hearing 'Flashover' i thought it was fairly awful but it has no emerged as a favourite.

The bass in this album is phenomenal, like no other i have heard before. The bassist completely owns this record!!!
Oh and lead single 'Echoes' is a contender for song of the year, no doubt!

1.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, 26 Oct 2010
This review is from: Surfing the Void (Audio CD)
I've tried and tried and I just don't like one single track. One hit wonders? I believe so.

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 * and 1/2, 5 Oct 2010
Stan FREDO (BORDEAUX, Aquitaine, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surfing the Void (Audio CD)
Of Klaxons I only knew the French market only mini LP 'Magick' (including the mighty 'Atlantis To Interzone') and the quite good single 'Golden Skans'. I still kinda like those records but not to the point of waiting with baited breath for the new album. Which I finally bought. On 'Surfing The Void', there are only 3 or 4 tracks out of 10 you might come back to after one or two listens: track 8, tracks 5 and 9 (in a tie-in) and, at a push, track 10. Gone is the ravey feel, in is the 'I'm a serious, quite grown-up, pushing the envelope artist' feel. Dispappointing, to say the least.

Surfing the Void
Surfing the Void by Klaxons (Audio CD - 2010)