5.0 out of 5 stars Unpretentious fantasy.
Published on 26 May 2011 by Robert Lee

2.0 out of 5 stars Haven series
I have never written a review for a book before but feel compelled to do so about Amber Magic. I have finished the first and am on to the second book and am finding it hard to continue.
I am not trying to beat up on this author, but would like to point out a few things - a constructive criticism - and they are the following

I get the feeling that this book...
Published on 12 Jun 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Unpretentious fantasy., 26 May 2011
This review is from: Amber Magic (Haven Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book and am well into the second. Fantasy can sometimes be weighed down by too much baggage such as hand wringing characters with complicated names. Non of that here. The book moves at a fast pace with a story line and concepts that kept my interest. The author handles well the interplay between totaly disparate cultures/races with a good mix of magic, tragedy,and nasty guys along the way. The book cuts to the meat of the story and stays there. A great read. Larson could well be described as the "Grisham" of fantasy.

5.0 out of 5 stars there be a wee folk in my milk!, 18 May 2011
This review is from: Amber Magic (Haven Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
At first I was wary of this longer read by Larson, enjoying his fast pace writing style. What I thought to be another Jordan clone turned out to be a thrilling read, setting the stage for many adventures to come. By the end of the book you can feel the trees start to fill with the red eyes of Rhinogs and the green jewel of Oberon flashing brightly in your mind as the Farie come to place a changeling in your crib.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haven Series, 30 Jun 2011
This review is from: Amber Magic (Haven Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
This review covers the whole Haven series, as the books are all in the same style.

As other reviewers said the plot and characters are not overly complex and there is a lack of depth. The whole series consists of fairly short and lightwieght books. They are not 'epic' in scope or detail, but they are a decent read.

I enjoyed reading them and would recommend them at the price offered (£2 each for most of the books).

2.0 out of 5 stars Haven series, 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: Amber Magic (Haven Series #1) (Kindle Edition)

I get the feeling that this book was rushed, probably to keep deadlines and to keep the price of the completed book down which is fair enough in one respect, but when reading, it really does feel like the bare bones of a story - not far from a detailed synopsis, that is in desperate need of some fleshing out.
The human type characters are mostly the same in voice and thought (Myrrdin, The River folk, etc)which consists of a typical misconception about how fantasy characters have to speak. which trust me, is not true.
The end of the first book - I wont give it away - because of this lack of world scope and characterization, results in a small skirmish that is then described by a character as an 'epic battle' - and if you have read a fully fleshed out book you will know the difference as I do.
The whole book felt the length of an average chapter that I would normally read, now I have not checked this theory out but it proves not a lot of value for money in the price of the book if that is the case.
The resemblance in certain things seems to me too much to mirror certain other tales i have read over the years. And where as some other authors get past this obstacle -as it is a hard net to stay out of- by making their characters so wholly different and the motives, setting etc so different; again because of the very bare bones style of this book, you can clearly see the similarities, as there is no detail in this world to separate in my mind, the happenings there compared to say Tolkien.
The worst thing for me is simply that I have never once forgotten that i am reading! And that for me is a very bad sign, I like to get lost in a book!

HOWEVER

I must say that the back story and theology of the series are well thought out and the way they are written is beautiful.
The paragraph or so about the Jewels - the Dragon Eyes, that i read, made me think WOW, that is going to be an amazing story.

I am sorry for rambling and do not mean to be so opinionated but I do have strong feelings about this book. I am a writer myself - unpublished (and so of course know absolutely Jack!) so would just like to congratulate Larson on the fact that whatever my humble self finds this book lacking, it is a book, a whole book and I know what commitment and blood, sweat and tears that takes just to compleate a first draft. I will still be continuing with the series, just to see if there is an improvement

but please, if you are new to the genre, I would recommend Katherine Kerr, George R R Martin, Stephen Donaldson, even Robert Jordan who goes the opposite way - very very long winded!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Series!!!, 1 Mar 2011
This review is from: Amber Magic (Haven Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
What an amazing series of books!!! I read the whole series on my kindle and only purchased this first book as it was such a bargain. What a surprise I was in for. From start to finish it had me hooked. You grow to love Brand & others, and to love the River Haven as well. As soon as I'd finished Amber Magic I immediately bought the other 4 in the series so far, and am now eagerly awaiting the 6th book. What I enjoyed most about this much was that it didn't feel too "heavy" as some fantasy books can; it was a really easy yet gripping read. I would highly recommend the whole series to other fans of fantasy/magic/just general brilliant books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable read, 28 Jan 2011
This review is from: Amber Magic (Haven Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
For the price this book is probably ok. I found it somewhat lacking in depth and perhaps aimed at a younger reader? There was nothing massively wrong with it but it certainly didn't grip me in the way I had hoped.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend!, 31 Jan 2011
This review is from: Amber Magic (Haven Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
I didn`t expect much from this book, due to having read alot of disappointing novels in the past. However, to my own excited surprise, I could not put this book down! Fantastic turns, ideas and unexpected surprises, this book sets the series up to be a great read. I am off to buy the second now!

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read. A slow slightly confusing start but definitley recommend this book for any fantasy lover., 2 Jan 2011
Mrs. Karen Tingey "KTTL" (Tamworth, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amber Magic (Haven Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
Would have given 5 stars if not for the begining but the book really picks up pace in the middle and is an excellent opening to an inovative fantasy world. Couldn't put it down after a few chapters, exceptional writing. If you like fantasy novels this one is not to be missed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Probably unfair., 2 May 2013
M. J. Edwards "Round Square" (Cheshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amber Magic (Haven Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
I'm not sure I should be writing this since I only got half way through the book but it's a difficult read. Fantasy novels need a single protagonist to centre your beliefs around and allow you to see the fantastic world from a point of view, this book completely misses that and is confusing. Trying to tell everyone's story at once doesn't work in fantasy. At least not in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab book, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: Amber Magic (Haven Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. It kept me up into the early hours as I wanted to continue reading. I would definitely recommend it

Amber Magic (Haven Series #1)