5.0 out of 5 stars Much improved on the first
Published on 22 Nov 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, but released before it was ready
I've been using this for the past few weeks, working my way through the 9 week program. Here's what I've found.

Published on 21 Jan 2011 by philip_mac

5.0 out of 5 stars Much improved on the first, 22 Nov 2010
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
Having used the first Sports Active on the Wii last year, I was very eager to get a copy of SA2; the various demos which had shown up on youtube etc looked very impressive indeed. I went for the PS3 version this time round as I wanted a 'hands free' experience. The unreliability of motion sensor control in the original version on the Wii was the only thing that let it down in my opinion, but there was no real way of getting round that.

So anyway - on to this version. Set up was a cinch; I've read about people having problems getting the wireless sensors to sync, but no such problems here. Straps on, synced up and ready to go. I signed up, made my profile etc. and then headed into a medium workout scheme over 20 days. All good stuff, and broke a sweat as expected (I might restart on the hard workout scheme with which I'm more familiar with from the Wii original). The absolute joy of not being pounded with death by squats is the most immediate improvement that this new version has implemented.

Yes, there are leg exercises, but they're not quite so harsh and are combined with other movements so you don't end up with dead legs. It also helps that you're not expected to do a jog or run as a warm-down - you actually get, in the last three/four exercises, a good series of muscle stretches to warm down properly, a little like the old yoga exercises on the Wii. This new version seems to be much more about 'all over' exercise whilst retaining the cardio-vascular conditioning elements of the first.

One thing - same problem as the original - if you've got arms stronger than an eight year old child, then the resistance cord isn't actually much use. I've been using a resistance tube that I bought to replace the cord in the original game, and it's far more demanding and effective than the packaged one.

So all in all, this is what it's supposed to be. The hands-free wireless system works well, the exercises have been updated, you break a sweat and feel nicely knackered afterwards.

Just remember though - if you really want to shed the pounds, you'll have to use this in conjunction with a healthy diet. I lost two stone with the original game in a month and a bit, but that was combined with a virtual crash diet (1000kcal a day intake). These games on their own will not really help you lose much weight if you gorge daily on pies and sweets. Saying that, any exercise is better than none, so go forth and have fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets Your Heart Going, 23 Nov 2010
wicket2005 (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
This game certainly makes you feel like you have done some exercise with the added benefit of being able to monitor your heart beat. There are 3 monitors that fit on your arms and one leg, these register your movement and heart beat, enabling you to see just how well you are working out.

You input some basic information about yourself and set up the monitors to start, very easy then you get to pick a coach. He shows you how to do each exercise first which you can skip then you follow him into the exercise routine. At the moment the exercises are in bite size sections so you don't get bored but you are still raising your heart beat. I am only on the first week so the total amount of time spent exercising is 25 minutes I don't know if that time expands as you get further into the program. The program is supposed to be a 9 week one so it will be interesting to see if my fitness has increased.

The graphics are very good and a lot more grown up than the Wii Fit. You are encouraged to work at the speed being shown by the coach.

I love it and am off downstairs to use it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gymtastic, 2 Dec 2010
possessed.by.a.lemon - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unlike its Wii counterpart, EA Sports Active 2 on PS3 doesn't use the host console's motion controller. Instead it comes with an exclusive extra arm sensor. This is a good thing and makes exercising a completely hands-free experience, ironically bettering the Kinect version on 360, which at the time of writing is suffering from a number of teething troubles. On PS3 you can be where you want in the room and you only need to worry about a joypad when it comes to menus. All communication with the sensors and heart-rate monitor goes through the small USB dongle. This is perfect and it's a wonder EA made it any different for the other formats.

The 'game' looks like little more than the upscaled Wii title that it so clearly is. It certainly doesn't make the graphics chip sweat, but the arrival on PS3 has a couple of new features unfamiliar to Wii owners. Notably, in the options menu is a link to the EA Store, which will eventually see extra downloadable exercise programmes added. Wii owners also appear to be experiencing set-up problems with the new heart-rate monitor. I don't know if this extends to PS3, but it certainly didn't extend to me. Syncing all three sensors was fast and easy. This is perhaps because the Wii's USB port is on the back of the console and the PS3's is on the front. The heart-rate monitor is, of course, the big new addition to this sequel. It works as a form of positive feedback, just like the calorie counter, and its key task is to let you know if you need to raise or lower your game. Anyone can cheat the moves, but you're only cheating yourself and the HRM makes a point of telling you when the calorie counter is being fooled.

Like any self-respecting gamer, when faced with the difficulty options, my instant reaction was, 'son, you ain't got nothing for me, bring on your worst'. Midway through my first programme I was like, 'make it stop! I'm melting!'. But I persevered and by the end, as the notification of a handful of Trophies flashed in the top-right-hand corner of the screen, I was completely pumped. That's when you know a workout is working (out), it batters you but you end up feeling great at the end of it. And it really is conducive to a better standard of living because when it tells you of the calories burnt and congratulates you, you come away from it not wanting to stuff your face full of pizzas and cookies, which makes it incredibly rare among videogames.

You have the ability to plan your own schedule. You can focus on cardio, upper or lower body to suit your personal needs and customise your own work outs. You can workout in groups online (servers allowing) and, blatantly most important of all, it allows for custom soundtracks that can be transferred from your PS3's hard drive. Of course you want to sweat to Eye Of The Tiger and You're The Best Around. Who wouldn't?

On PS3 you don't have to worry about Kinect or balance boards to get the best out of it, the only other expenditure required is if you want another set of accessories for a second participant. The only way to do this at the moment is to buy another copy of the game. EA says that secondary sets will be introduced at some point, but they're needed now! Active 2 caters for two players, to make them both buy a copy of the game is bad form.

That aside, this currently stands as the best version of the best exercise title on consoles. This is my opinion but it's also considered pretty much fact. There's also a surprising amount of fun and pleasure to add to the pain and going for that coveted Platinum Trophy. So if you intend to spend Christmas playing Call of Duty and Gran Turismo on the sofa next to a tin of Quality Street, you'd be well advised to pick this up for the New Year to find out why.

5.0 out of 5 stars FORGET YOUR GYM - LOST OVER 2st!!!!, 7 Sep 2011
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
Been toying with the idea of purchasing for a while and in May I saw it for £30 (not Amazon but they were pretty competitive too) and decided to go ahead as I had a shock when I stepped on a set of scales.

Needed top get in shape having just turned 40 and carrying a bit of extra timber.

I have a PS3 and agree that the ability to walk/run around as it doesn't use a camera like the Xbox Kinect version (I also own an Xbox but refuse to pay £100 for a camera) is a great advantage.

Must say I had to replace the 'game' as the Heart Monitor would not sync, the 2nd copy was fine with no issues.

I decided to dive in and do the 9wk programme.

The 1st work outs last 15-20mins and if you're unfit you will struggle at first - looking ahead to see what was in store in a few weeks scared me to death with some workouts lasting nearly 50mins!!

However slowly but surely my strength increased and my lungs opened.

No major results for the 1st 3 weeks but then................WOW

I started to use a well know app called My Fitness Pal (Brilliant) to control my daily calorie intake and trust me they are a match made in heaven.

By the end of the 9wks (Mid July 11) I had lost 24lbs!! (1st 10lbs) and 3inches off my waist.

I have continued to use the System 2-4 times a week selecting whatever part of my body I want to concentrate on (mainly doing Core and Ab workouts now) and to date I have lost over 30lbs (over 2st) in 15wks

I am at my most athletic for years and feel (and look imo) fantastic.

Over 4 inches off my waist now means I have to buy a whole new wardrobe, clothes I haven't worn for years now fit - the feeling of being able to fit into regular clothes at a shop is brilliant.

I had a recent school reunion and the comments about my look were inspiring.

For the record I went from a flabby 17st 4lbs to a Muscular 15st - I'm just over 6ft tall.

I also have a very acute lower back problem - I have had no issues with this system despite this condition.

I cant fault it, and at its current price it is worth a punt, However YOU MUST EAT SENSIBLY TO GET THE BEST RESULTS - I watched calories, basically ate what I wanted but up to a certain amount of calories per day - I did cut out ALL snacks, crisps, biscuits, chocolate etc and cut down big time on Rice, Bread, Pasta, Potatoes which was hard.

I am eating regular stuff now, just smaller portions as my body doesn't need that extra stuff anymore.

My life has changed immeasurably, I wont be going back to where I have just come from again.

Like most things in life you get out what you put it.

Work at it and dedicate yourself and you wont believe the results.

Very happy :-))))))

Note: if you miss a workout on the 9wk programme you can catch up.

However in the last week you MUST complete the programme ON TIME - if you go past the last workout date thinking you can do it another day EVEN BY JUST 1 WORKOUT - the programme will close and you will be deemed as not completing the programme. Nothing major I know but to have gotten a trophy saying that I'd fully completed it within the 9wks (when i know i did) is a personal pat on the back for your efforts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Nov 2010
Michael Pritchard "blueghost_uk" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
I have to echo most of the comments by D.J. Roberts, never played it before on previous consoles as only have a PS3 but very impressed so far. I've been doing a fair bit of running over the summer and autumn but now the winter and dark nights have set in I can't get much done after work so this seemed ideal.

Few complaints:

I had trouble setting up the three receivers, it ended up being I didn't press the sync buttons long enough. The guide seems to indicate just press the button and it will sync, but the first time you sync them you have to keep the button pressed in until its recognised.

Talks about water breaks at various points but the gaps aren't long enough and i end up having to re-start some exercises, it would be nice if at these points you had to press a button to say you're ready to continue.

Other than that seems great value for money, at least on the PS3, seems odd the 360 version is same price but also requires Kinect (this doesn't use PS Move or the EyeCam).

UPDATE: Been using for 3 weeks now and still going strong, doing the 9 week program and have kept to it apart from one missed session, but you can catch up on missed sessions. Price drop now makes this even better value, was £65 now £50

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, but released before it was ready, 21 Jan 2011
philip_mac (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 (PS3) (Video Game)

The workout program seems pretty good at getting the heart pumping and burning calories. It doesn't seem to be working my "core" at all at this point, but the cardio and weight training seem like they're building in intensity, so I'm assuming more in the way of crunches etc. will come in later. The focus does feel a little too heavy on the leg muscles though. To the detriment of everywhere else.

The trainer is, on the whole, not too bad. He's a bit irritating at times (I tried the woman, she was just as bad) but the advice on different exercises can be useful, if a little out of place when its offered.

The range of exercises on offer look good too. I've no idea what some of them are... but there are tutorials for each, so its easy enough to find out. The ability to build up your own workout, or have a trainer generated one is a nice touch too, though it would be nicer if there was a "try exercise" option (see below).

It is worth noting though that some of the tutorials (and in-game actions) perform the exercises in ways the trainer's verbal instructions tell you NOT to do them. I know it's just an avatar on screen, but the real strength I've found in this was that it shows you how to do exercises and tells you how to get the best out of them. Having that not match up is pretty bad. It doesn't happen often, but its worth watching for.

the weekly fitness check is a little light for what its doing, but it's good that it's there rather than just ignored.

The resistance band is a waste of minty smelling rubber. honestly bin it and either don't bother or use some dumbbells, there's no noticeable resistance to it.

In terms of the presentation...
EA should not have shipped this in its current state, it's a clear beta product and not necessarily one that was close to release status. I haven't seen anything as badly done in a long time.

The menu system is beyond slow and more than a little glitchy, as are some of the in-game loading screens etc. It doesn't directly affect the workout itself, but it is irritating. The game is not graphics intensive. At all. So the degree of slow down isn't something that can be levelled at that. I'm guessing it's because it's a cross-console release and getting it all out in time to cash in on christmas means none got polished. Not so bad for the ps3 version, where you don't have to buy the kinect... but it's still a serious issue.

The menu system is also a total mess. Things you might expect to find easily (setting goals for example) are not where you'd expect. It's all there, just not done well.

Pacing between exercises is almost non-existent, it seems governed more by the loading screen time than any actual attempt to give time for, say, a mouthful of water. That can be solved by hitting pause, but again, it can be a bit slow. You NEED to have the controller handy pretty much at all times

The motion sensors can be a bit temperamental... say the same exercise occurs twice in a given workout: the first time it works fine, the second time you might be swinging your arms in entirely the opposite direction to what's on screen, just to get the "stand still, raise your arms" text to go away and let the exercise finish. This one I've noticed more with weight training than anything else, it happens roughly every second workout. Skipping the exercise is an option but it removes the progress from your workout and (as mentioned above) getting the menu up to do it can be slow. This has nothing to do with misplacement for the sensors or the assorted other issues I've seen noted online, it just seems to be a bug plain and simple.

The instructions from the trainer can be counter-intuitive / at odds with what's happening on screen. This may be my lack of experience with a physical trainer, but the verbal instructions seem to mirror (rather than copy) what the trainer avatar does on screen. Watching someone step forward with their left leg, with text saying "follow me" and verbal instructions saying "step forward with your right leg"... You get used to it, but every now and then I actually copy what I see on screen, then half way through get told off for having the wrong leg forward. This can be made all the worse when coupled with the sensors glitching or exercises that mean you can't maintain eye contact with the screen.

There's no option to just try an exercise, rather than have a "workout". You can go into "make your own workout" and select things to try them, but you end up with a set of My Workout no.X entries.

The EA website it keeps trying to log you into when it starts is a beta site. Really that's in-line with the rest of the product.

All in I'd say its a good way to learn different exercises, check technique and get into the habit of doing regular workouts. In that respect I've been happy to recommend it to people. When it works, it works well and you do feel like you've had a good workout by the end. It does badly need patched though and until that point I can see a lot of people getting fed up with its glitches. I'm not quite there yet, but it's been close a few times.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to fitness, 13 Jan 2011
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
I was going to join a gym this year, but decided to opt for the easy option and have fun at the same time by purchasing Active 2. The reviews were excellent and justifiably so. I had no problems setting up the straps, and instead of using the resistance band thats included, I now use my own weights, which should offer better results. There is a vast array of options available which should suit persons of any fitness to achieve their own personal goals.

I'm only slim so haven't purchased it to lose the calories that the 'game' has as its main core but wish to gain more muscle strength and lose a bit of the old belly, and thankfully, active 2 allows you to pick and choose the exercises to target what it is you want to achieve.

The exercises are in short sharp bursts, so they don't become mundane, before being repeated further into the routine.

If you put the effort and motivation into active 2 then it should help you in your quest, it feels good to actually become breathless, work up a sweat and have achey muscles in the comfort of your own home.

Another major advantage is that my water intake has increased to aid hydration, so as well as the game working wonders, my skin should benefit as well.

The only problem with the game is that at times the system doesn't pick up the fact you are doing an exercise which is annoying and you therefore have to skip the exercise and move onto the next one, yet how it knows you are doing one in the first place is a marvel so having to skip the odd one isn't too bad.

Whether the gamer will achieve what they set out to achieve is another matter, yet as an introduction and a fun way to get some exercise its a great way to feel better about yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 7 Jan 2011
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
I have never really enjoyed going to gyms as always feel very self conscious, and generally speaking find them a bit dull, but have recently wanted to increase my fitness level and start to lead a more healthy lifestyle. I'm not all that fit, so thought this would be a good way of getting a bit fitter without having to feel so self conscious. I have to say I wasn't really expecting much from it, and have been very impressed by what I have seen. The added heart rate monitor is excellent, as it enables you to see the change in your heart rate throughout the programme. I have been at it for a good few weeks now, and can already see that my level of fitness has increased.

There is a great array of exercises, some of which are really fun, such as basketball, football, mountain boarding, and mountain biking, and there are three levels - easy, medium and hard. There's also a good number of stretches to do in it which I have found to be very useful.

After reading a few reviews one of my main worries about EA Sports Active 2 was whether or not the sensors would be very good, but I have to say I have had very few problems with them. There has been the odd exercise where I've got a little frustrated with them, but I've always found a way around it, and have never found that it ruins the enjoyment of it.

I don't think this would replace the gym, or other types of exercise for everyone, but I have found it to be a great introduction to fitness, and can see myself continuing to use it alongside other exercise methods in the futre. My only real complaint about it is the resistance band isn't all that good, but considering the price, I'd be quite happy to go and replace this with something else.

All in all it's great, and I have now started to look forward to exercising

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, Got Me All Worked Out..Customisable... Ps3 the Best version too (?), 1 Dec 2010
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
Well I was umming and arring about getting this, I am a member of a gym, but havent been for a month (or three).

Anyways I saw it in a High Street Supermarket (for good price, though Amazon was still a few pennies cheaper) and decided to go for it, its snowing heavily outside and there was not much to do so thought it was worth a go, with the thought that I could trade it in and not lose too much.

I have never played the Wii, or any of these motion control games, but this title has a good reputation and intrigued me.

I had thought I would need the "Move" or "Eye" camera but the PS3 version come with all you need in the box (unlike xbox, which requires Kinect)

So I got home to my little flat (One bed, the kind of small block where you can hear the lady downstairs snoring, and the floorboards make noise as you walk about. This was a major reason why I would think the game would not be for me, I was aware you had to run / jump on the spot for some of the exercises, and I didnt want to upset her downstairs. This may be a major point for others, (will come back too)...

Okay so I set it up, was a bit niggly at first but if you set up each bit seperately you will get there (took me a maximum of 5 minutes). You set up your profile and on you go...I chose to start the 9 week course on a medium level, I am late 30's, used to be sporty, but now there is a couple of stone more of me than there should be. Forty mins later I was sweating, my heart rate was up, I felt like I had been nicely worked out. The system showed I had burned 250 cals, and I had done stretches that I hadnt done in ages...

However the one problem I had (as fore-shadowed earlier) was anything to do with running / jumping... in the standard workouts there is quite a bit of this. I put cushions under my feet, exagerrated my knee movements, I tried to cheat by sitting on the sofa and pump my arms and legs, but pretty much impossible to "get away with it". Again this is not the fault of the game, it is my unfortunate circumstance, but please bear this in mind all you fellow victims of the "House Price Boom" who live in such flats (sorry, just a little bit of politics / economics there), the cycling section (potentially one of the most "fun" tasks was a nightmare...

But, after thinking these sections would make the game unusable I found that you can easily create Customisable Workouts, either by yourself, or generated by your trainer. You can ask for a "core" or "upper body" workout out and knock out some of the events (such as the running) that you do not want to do... so I will definitely be keeping it.

I found the stretching/ core exercises excellant, and the skipping is "do-able" (ie do the full movement, but do not "skip") for cardio.

Greeat so now I can wake up, do my work out have my breakfast and go to work (unlike having to plan to go to the gym when its open, taking my gym stuff, carrying it around with me all day etc).

So even though for me it is a bit restricted, I do think I will get quite a bit out of it.

For the majority of folk I would say this is an absolutely great bit of kit, and would say go for it if you have any interest in such titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 23 Nov 2010
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
This was delivered today and i must say that it exceeds all expectations. I had no problems at all synching the sensors and they stay on nice and tight.

Previously owned the first ea active on the wii and this is a big improvement.

I have a reasonable level of fitness as i compete in 10k runs and play football most sundays. Whilst this is not as strenous as these, it certainly works up a good sweat and is ideal for all levels of fitness.

Hopefully more workouts will be available over time online.

But for a fun and effective workout ea active 2 simply cant be faulted.

EA Sports Active 2 (PS3)
EA Sports Active 2 (PS3) by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)