EA Sports Active 2 - Kinect Compatible (Xbox 360)
Platform: Xbox 360Change
Price:£31.90+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 18 January 2011
I've used EA Sports Active 2 and Your Shape: Fitness Evolved and of the two, Sports Active offers the more extensive and considered workout regime by miles and miles and miles.

But first off, there are three things you need to do to stop Sports Active frustrating the heck out of you:

1. Turn off voice commands (This stops menus and videos appearing randomly during your workout).

2. Use a controller to navigate the menu screens (The menus were not designed specifically for kinect and it shows).

3. When doing floor exercises, assume the start position only when the game tells you to and make sure your feet or head are facing the sensor rather than being side on.

Even after doing these things, the game can still misbehave and lose track of you during your workout but not to the extent that it is unusable. Another general tip is to put your kinect as close to eye level as possible; as this reduces the amount of floor space you need for the play area.

The workouts Sport Active provides are properly structured exercise with warm up and cool down sections - A very important inclusion in my opinion and something I couldn't find in the bitesize 10 minute workouts offered by Your Shape. You end a session having definitely worked up a sweat and feeling that you've pushed yourself.

The game does a good job of motivating you with achievement milestones, progress graphs and lots of other stats. The online workout groups are also a good way of bringing in some friendly competition to motivate. Both of these aspects are much more comprehensive than the offerings in Your Shape. However, the in-game commentator/motivator does repeat himself a little too frequently to be convincing. Nor does he feedback posture corrections very accurately. Your Shape does these things a lot better.

In summary, Sports Active is far from perfect but it offers a thorough and comprehensive set of exercises, packaging them into well structured workouts and exercise plans. For a better presented but ultimately lighter and gentler introduction to exercise Your Shape:FE is probably for you. Personally, I'm certain you will get better results with Sports Active.
on 13 January 2011
Having read some of the other reviews i was unsure about purchasing this, however it is excellant. Spend a bit of time with the set up and you will have very few problems. It does occasionally loose you when you change activities, but this very rare from my expierience with the product.
The exercise routines are very taxing and you know you have been working out when finished.
I am glad I purchased it
on 7 January 2011
Based on other reviews I was expecting the heart monitor to be really difficult to use; this however was not the case and it was very easy to set up and use. I was impressed with the workouts and the ability to track your progress and to follow a structured programme. It's fun to do and easy to follow, so I would recommend it to anyone.

The only downside I found was that it kept pausing during the workout, but I think this is due to seetings on the Kinect.
on 4 January 2011
Yes, the game gives you a good training and it is worth the money. However there are several things that can be improved:
1. Too many buttons to press till you can really start the training
2. The menu is not well thought and sometime you get lost in it
3. I would like to have the option to specify a set of muscles to work on and to get a program auto-generated
4. It would be nice to be able to exclude noise making exercises like jumping and running as I live in an apartment
5. Internet site (I know it's beta) should allow program definition and customization.
I know I sound like ranting but all in all the game is good, you really work out with it. Is just that the menus and lack of functions hold it back.
on 18 January 2011
Have been using for 2 weeks and found the game works very well.
I haven't found any of the bugs other people are complaining of.
Much better than any other fitness "game" /i have tried.
on 29 January 2011
Hi,

Just got this game and really enjoying it. Apply the patch as that will correct some bugs. Also do a hard-drive install. It requires about 1ft more room minimum than the minimum on some other kinect games especially for sit ups and press-ups. However, if you have kinect sports or adventures, if you have the ideal space on its calculation and you are towards the back of the "ideal" floor space then you will have no troubles.

The voice controls do work better than the kinect hand ones which are fiddly on some screens and the controller is best for some of those. During the workout don't have another TV on in the room, or a stereo playing as that can make it hard for your voice to be picked up. The voice controls once patched with xbox live update do allow you when you are not seen by kinect (explained in a minute) to exit the menu that pops up as a result quickly.

The thing with it is the device has to recognise your face during the workout for some reason, so do a good few kinect IDs with different head tilts and lighting (and have lights on full when working out so face visible) for best results with the game so not constantly asking you to do face checking. However, this did not happen much with me, only when i went to go pick up some weights and stepped out of view of kinect (so just have to look at sensor, it recognises you and you say OK, or select or words to that effect - whatever the green button word is). The other time it happened was during pressups when i wasn't far enough back from the kinect. Again just stand up it recognises you and you say ok.

I'd say this game is probably the least forgiving on space, but you wouldn't get this if you didn't have plenty of space for working out.

Heart monitor takes 2 AA batteries and you hardly notice its on.

Really enjoyable game overall.

The online stuff isn't as good as it could be yet, but its still beta. Hopefully the february update will improve things.
on 26 November 2010
firstly i,ve read all the reviews above before submitting this one.And i,ve been using it for 10 days now before submitting the review.
i think the main issue above is not most people have bought the game and jumped straight in then encountered a few issues like pauses,tutorials popping up which i did encounter myself on the first workout. However i sat down and tweaked it properly and now i get workouts that flow straight through.
I,m quite fit myself,doing heavy weights 3 times a week for the last 5 years and running 3 times a week. I,m in pretty good shape with a bit of body fat and bought this to add a bit of intensity to enable me to cut up.
My workouts are ideal,they are hard and the instructer keeps up the intensity,to be hones i,m absoulutely knackered after it.And now i,m starting to see a bit of weight coming off.
I,m impressed by the whole package,if its chucking down with rain outside i just put this baby on and bang job done.
heart rate monitor works a treat. i use 5kg dumbells instead of the resistance band to up the intensity.
for me its great,it serves its purpose,just sit down and take your time setting it up and you should get a good experience from it.there is a lot of depth to the game,that tracks your results.
so far i,ve burned or so it says 1300 cals in a few workouts.if you work on that 3000/3500 calories is about 1 pound of body fat then my workouts coupled with my weight sessions will produce the results i,m looking for,and come the summer i should be in good shape.
i think this game should be bought to supplement a good diet and other exercise. if you are able to use this this 5 day a week then it should suffice on its own but you need to mix it up.
if you are NOT prepared to change your diet and continue to eat crap then you need to seriously think before purchasing this game as i strongly suspect it will be just a fad. I think some people will look at this and see it as an easy way to attempt to get fit because you can do it at home. It doesn,t work like that. If you are committed and change your life style then buy it as it will motivate you and track your progress.
Final thoughts....THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE AN INTEREST IN FITNESS WHO ALREADY DO SOME KIND OF EXERCISE AND ARE ALREADY IN SOME KIND OF FITNESS ROUNTINE.Why?... cause most folk will use it for a week or so then will start to drop off and miss workouts hence its just a FAD.
there is no easy way of getting in shape,its 70% diet and 30% workouts and thats the main problem with most folk The diet.... Sort that out first before buying this game............ it aint a game...trust me.
got to go now,devon my personnel trainer is ready to beast me for the 8th time.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 30 August 2011
Very easy to use and set up (though had to look up youtube to find out how to set up the resistance bands)

I'd also second the "turn off voice commands" suggestion. If you're using by yourself it's not necessary but with more than one person in the room it does get frustrating as it stops when you try to converse.

I'd also recommend using the controller instead of the kinect to navigate.

Also, definitely keep some water nearby. You'll need it.

The set up of your profile is fast and easy to do and the exercises themselves are great. Using this has given me better workouts than I've had in ages.

Having used it now for just over a week I don't think my fitness has increased by much though prolonged use of this product will definitely get you fitter.

Don't be fooled though, this is hard work and if you're not dedicated to it, don't buy it. If all you're after is a game for fooling around and running on the spot, get kinect sports but if you're serious about fitness this is perfect!
on 28 December 2010
It's good to see that more recent reviews are giving this the 4 or 5 stars it deserves. As with all kinect games there is a bit of accuracy tuning required with the kinect camera....if it can't see you right it won't register your moves. Obvious really.
I can see why they have come up with voice commands, in theory it stops you having to reach for the controller on occasion, however like most people say, just turn the voice commands off and it won't detect your grunts and panting as voice commands.
The tutorial videos are useful at first, but can be turned off once you've seen them and know what to do.
This is NOT a game, this is a proper fitness program that deserves your effort to get the best results, If you want something that you can turn straight on and build up a sweat then just play kinect sports, if you want a well thought out fitness routine then get this.
on 12 January 2012
I'm a gym bunny , working out 2x a day but when I want a break from the gym I use this... And it REALLY is a WORKOUT! I like to make up my own workouts and ache afterwards !
Buy this if you're serious about working out ! Used regularly you WILL GET RESULTS ! Great for days when you want a challenging workout with results but want to give the gym a miss !
I've had this since ithe day of its launch and I'm still loving it and getting results ! Lots of fun and varied exercises , you can pick pre made workouts or put together your own - I recommend this highly !
 EA Sports Active 2 - Kinect Compatible (Xbox 360)