1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Smith Variant Brim Mens Ski Helmet, 15 Feb. 2011
I started looking at ski helmets last year as I felt I could not keep on saying to my son that he had to wear a helmet whilst I didnt. Besides, we do most of skiing in America where the use of adult ski helmets seems far more widespread that in Europe. A further point is that it means that I dont have to take a range of headwear on the slope with me to deal with changing weather conditions.

The problem that I came across was that none of the helmets I looked at were big enough. Sniggers aside, I have a 7 5/8th head and most helmets were way smaller. The Smith Variant XL fits my head very well and is comfortable for all day use. For those with more conventional head sizes, it still has a rnage of sizes and each has lots of adjustment to make sure that it is secure and has vents which open up at a flick of a lever which allows warm weather spring skiing as well as colder Christmas time stuff. In fact once you get used to where the lever is, you can adjust it without having to take the helmet off. Additional features include its own soft carry bag which lets you pack it without it getting scratched. Also you can get earphone inserts for the ear flaps to allow you to listen to music (including, I am told a bluetooth version) from your iPod or MP3 player if thats your thing.

As I am past the first flush of youth the other two benefits are (1) the range of colour schemes are relatively modest and refreshingly grafitti free and (2) the style is not the soup bowl/ army helmet style favoured by some snowboarders. Therefore you can wear this in middle age without looking like you are chasing your youth and trying to imitate the snowboard generation whilst not looking like you are using the skiing equivalent of a zimmerframe.

In summary, its well made, very comfortable and doesnt look outlandish. Im very pleased with it and expect to be using it for many seasons to come.