5.0 out of 5 stars Spot On
I wanted a glove that would keep my hands dry, protected from windchill, and be reasonably warm during active days out in hill, moor and mountain. Comfort and dexterity also rated high on my requirements too. These Sealskinz have met all four requirements and are a pleasure to wear.
Published 10 months ago by Xtro Jon

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 faults
Published on 24 Dec. 2012 by M. R. Young

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot On, 2 April 2014
Xtro Jon (Derbyshire England) - See all my reviews
The gloves are waterproof when worn under the cuff of a fully waterproof jacket. Any waterproof glove is vulnerable to water ingress at the wrist area. Waterproof jackets can often allow water through the cuffs and lower sleeves during heavy sustained rain unless they are reproofed regularly. This water will travel down your arm and into the glove you are wearing giving the impression that the glove has failed when actually it is the jacket that is at fault.
I would suggest to anyone who has found these gloves let in water to check the integrity of their jackets waterproofing just to be sure. If your coat is in good order and you make sure the glove ALWAYS remains under a sealed (not loose) cuff then water will not get inside these gloves to your hand. If after checking the above you are still suffering water ingress in these gloves then you must get them replaced they can only be faulty, because they do work.
A word on the warmth of the gloves, you will note my requirement was 'reasonably warm'. An all season waterproof glove needs to be comfortable during wet weather all year round. To achieve this there will always be a compromise and the user must decide if that compromise suits their needs. The thermal rating on the gloves packaging says three out of five which puts them bang in the middle of the scale. That is exactly where I would expect a glove claiming to be 'All Season'. It lets me know that for the most part I can wear these gloves all year round, from summer storms to winter deluge and my hands will remain dry and comfortable. If you are wanting a full winter glove then that is what you must buy. 'All season' means usable in all seasons, not just one. I always carry winter rated gloves in my pack during the winter months in case of extreme cold but to be fair during active use even in cold, wet and windy conditions I have found these Sealskinz to be as my review title says, spot on.

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 faults, 24 Dec. 2012
M. R. Young (UK) - See all my reviews
Bought these as they were recommended by a friend, they have one major flaw that is the outside of the glove is seperate to the inside. It feels like you are wearing 2 pairs of gloves, so when you try to hold or lift something the inside slides around seperate to the outside. Secondly they are not quite warm enough and we havent had snow let. It is a shame as the rest of the glove is well made.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 30 Dec. 2011
I bought two pairs of these gloves for winter mountain walking in inclement conditions. Yesterday one pair was put to the test for the first time at Hell's Mouth in North Wales when a squall blew in off the Irish Sea. Half an hour of rain and the thumb and forefinger and joining palm area on both hands of these brand new gloves were soaking wet. The weather wasn't particularly cold so it wasn't a problem but in colder weather it certainly would be. They are advertised as, and claim to be waterproof and are not, so I can only give them the lowest rating. Very disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Waterproof gloves, 19 Mar. 2014
Bought these for dog walking in the rain and they saw a lot of use given the amount of rain winter 2013/14. All season waterproof glove but not that warm if below zero so used thin liners to augment. Switched to my ski gloves when got into the minuses. Quite warm in ten plus so recommend more as a autumn spring glove. Definitely water proof!
We'll made and no signs of wear as yet (three moths daily use). Size was quite accurate but cuffs seem small for a large that is roomy on the hands.
All in all very happy and looks like they see me through a good few seasons.

3.0 out of 5 stars Were OK for a while...but they now leak., 30 Jan. 2014
SEE EDIT AT END OF REVIEW!

I do have a pair of these "All Season" gloves (but didn't buy them from Amazon). There are lots of different Sealskinz gloves and I refer specifically to the "All Season" as they are not all the same. I was recommended these by another user and also by an assistant in a outdoor shop who advised buying this particular version over other versions as he has seen issues with some of the others. I use them weekly in wet conditions - including using a hose pipe with my finger over the end to create a spray (can't use a nozzle as the pressure is too high and they pop off the pipe)......and they don't leak. They are warm enough for most situations including moderate winter use but they aren't designed specifically for ski wear or arctic exploration.

Yes there are two layers but, in practice, they don't separate when removing them. I wash them after use as they get mucky and occasionally treat them with a leather treatment on the palm or a Nikwax waterproofer for the remainder. I've cut the velcro attachments off with a Stanley blade as I found I didn't need a closure and it became a nuisance.

These are my first Sealskinz purchase and I recommend them and have bought a spare pair whilst they were on offer. The manufacturer sell them direct, post free and offer a warranty so can't see why you would complain about them unless they were faulty in which case you would return them.

Recommended.

UPDATE March 2014.
Remarkably waterproof and warm. Washed the windows with them and immersed them fully in water to rinse the cloths out....dry as a bone. Still recommended.

UPDATE November 2014.
They leak! Not a lot of heavy use.... when I did use them it was just brief periods of gentle use. So maybe I shouldn't have bought that spare pair. I'll look into seeing if I can return them but not holding my breath.

EDIT November 2014.
I returned them to the retailer I bought them from and received new ones (not Amazon in this case). They were past the 12 months warranty period that the retailer would have ordinarily offered but as I have one of their loyalty cards they extend the warranty to two years for goods bought....so they replaced them. Well done Cotswold Outdoor! HOWEVER, having said that, I did ring Sealskinz and they indicated that they would have taken them back to their offices and tested them and I think it's likely they would have replaced them even though they were past a year old...they seemed pretty reasonable. I might have had to pay the postage to get them back to Sealskinz and might possibly have had to pay return postage for the replacements as well ??? I don't know. But as it was Cotswold ordered a pair in to store and we exchanged them over the counter. Important thing is to keep the paperwork though. Even though stuff is recorded on computer you can't beat the receipt.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good glove, 29 Mar. 2011
Nicely fitting waterproof gloves. My only complaint is they aren't as warm as I was expecting them to be; they are fine down to -2ish if you are active but beyond that you start to feel the cold.

1.0 out of 5 stars All season glove, 2 April 2014
David Carr - See all my reviews
A glove for all seasons, as long as none of the seasons have any rain and isn't particularly cold.

As a hill walker I wanted some gloves for early autumn and late spring that were light and waterproof to help keep the elements at bay while on higher walks in the lakes district.

On the first trip these gloves were OK they handled a small rain shower fine though went particularly warm, it was only around 8-10c so nor super cold but my hands still felt cold with these gloves on.

However on their second useage the gloves failed miserably after half an hour of heavy rain, both the outer glove let in and held a large amount of rain and the inner glove stuck uncomfortable to my hands.
I was "wringing out" my hands every half hour or so by clenching my hands into fists and water was pouring from the gloves.

These gloves seem to be made of a leather palm with a neoprene style backer and a cotton liner, the only waterproofing seems to be from a DWR coating which washes away very quickly.
These gloves don't seem to have a waterproof membrane of any sort.

In cold weather (around the 0c mark) the gloves offer virtually no protection from the cold, infact when the neoprene style backer touches the cotton inner it feels colder than it should which give an odd and uncomfortable feeling when you pick anything up whilst wearing the gloves, but as I said no didn't really buy these for winter use and glad I didn't solely rely on the for this purpose or trust them on colder trips.

Thses gloves arent cheap either, £35 for the pair...... that sort of money gets you far superior gloves from manufacturers such as montane or mountain equipment.

So only a single star for these, you may as well buy a pair of cheap wool gloves, at least they don't pretend to be waterproof and they will actually be warm even when wet.

Avoid.

2.0 out of 5 stars Skinz for Caribbean Seals??, 6 Feb. 2014
REASON FOR PURCHASE
I bought these gloves primarily for hill-walking and climbing in the UK - in areas such as Scotland, Snowdonia and the Lake District. I'd been caught out several times on ridges and summits – in summer! – when gales, lashing rain and falling temperatures led to freezing hands.

A secondary reason for me is for birdwatching. I use a telescope, which I carry on its tripod over my shoulder. Thus the carrying hand is always exposed – which can be uncomfortable when lugging the scope around exposed mudflats or coastlines, even in only moderately chilly conditions.

I finally concluded decent gloves were not an optional bit of kit for me – even in summer – and started to research gloves that might meet my needs.

REQUIREMENTS
I wanted gloves that would keep my hands warm and dry in the hills for at least three seasons of the year. They also needed to be fairly grippy (so I could e.g. use walking poles) and reasonably dexterous so I didn’t have to take them off to fiddle with zips, rucksack fastenings and the like. I finally decided on these Sealskinz All Season gloves. At thirty odd quid they were more expensive than I’d ever spent on gloves before but, hey, the brand and model names were full of promise that my needs would be met.

REVIEW
I’ve now used them for over a year in widely varying conditions, for hiking, birding and general use. So how did they do?

On the PLUS side I have found the water resistance more than adequate and have never suffered notable leaks or soaking out – even in lashing rain. They’re also grippy and more than adequate for using walking poles etc. Dexterity I would rate as reasonable for gloves of this thickness.

On the NEGATIVE side…THEY’RE NOT WARM!!! As you can no doubt tell, this one minus (for me at least) overrides all the plusses. Even in moderately chilly conditions I have many times ended up taking off the gloves and sticking my hands in my pockets. When lugging my telescope around I wear one glove on my carrying hand and put my other bare hand in my pocket. When the carrying hand gets chilled out I switch hands. Which is all patently ridiculous. The Sealskinz obviously keeps my hand warmer than it would be if it were exposed but is not man enough to keep my hand warm in even moderately chilly conditions.

CONCLUSION
Am I being unfair? Am I expecting too much from these gloves? Well no. Not if they’re called “All Season”. Even “Three Season” would be a misnomer - my hands have been freezing in them even in summer! And as for “Sealskinz”…any seal wearing these skinz would freeze to death pretty quickly. (Unless, perhaps, it was swimming in the Caribbean...)

Two stars for being adequate in wet weather at moderate temperatures, but definitely not what it says on the tin

5.0 out of 5 stars waterproof gloves, 9 July 2014
Great waterproof glove for cold and wet climate
Fast delivery

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them, 8 Jun. 2014
Durable. Waterproof. Comfortable. Well fitted. What more can I say? Exactly what I was expecting and more. I recommend this to any walkers, bike riders, runners and kayakers. Haven't let me down yet and I have had them for a few months and have really put them to the test.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›