5.0 out of 5 stars Really Quite Good
I've used a number of different brands of protein bar and these are the only ones so far that haven't made me regret it after the first bite. They do have that chewy, slightly granular texture, but I don't suppose you'll ever get away from that with what is essentially a compressed block of whey protein.

The bars are quite small but contain the ideal amount of...
Published on 18 Nov 2011 by Boing

3.0 out of 5 stars very chewy
came quick. good packaging, very chew, tasted okay, there not as filling as described in other reviews. i ate 2 to make me feel full.
thought they'd be bigger.
Published 7 months ago by jel

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Quite Good, 18 Nov 2011
Boing (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

The bars are quite small but contain the ideal amount of protein to replace one of your daily portions in an emergency. Because of the cost, I keep them for those occasions when it's not practical for me to prepare, buy, or eat what I'd like to. Usually that means when I'm at work and can't get away from what I'm dealing with. It's nice to see that they also contain CLA, L-Carnitine, flaxseed and green tea - most other manufacturers whose bars I have tried don't put that extra bit of effort in.

Each bar contains:
181kcals energy
25g protein
14g carbohydrate (1g sugars)
4.7g fat (2.6g saturated)
0.6g fibre
0.08g sodium
1g CLA
250mg L-Carnitine
500mg Flax powder

The bars come in one of those display boxes with a folding top. Mine was a bit squashed on arrival since it was shipped in a plastic despatch bag, however the bars themselves were not damaged. They have a nice long 9-month expiration date on them (Aug 2012).

I'll buy these again, although next time I will probably go for one of the more fun flavours, maybe Strawberry Cheesecake. "Chocolate cookie" sounded good but in reality it is more like "Chocolate without the deliciousness"!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great taste, 2 Nov 2011
This review is from: PhD Diet Whey Bar Strawberry Cheesecake 50 g (Pack of 12) (Personal Care)
Ordered these and they arrived pretty quick. The taste is rather nice unlike many other bars ive had before. Would order again .

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 14 Mar 2013
I reaplced two meals a day with one bar and one of these shakes and I lost over a stone in 4 weeks - hgihly recommend it cut the carbs up the protien feel and look great and NEVER put up with starvation...

5.0 out of 5 stars chocolate fix!, 24 April 2013
I've had this produce a number of times. It's great for a chocolate fix if you're dieting as well as a tastie snack. I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good taste and not at all chewy., 24 Aug 2014
Taste a lot better than the other protein bars I've tried and not too chewy. Worked well as a meal replacement although you'll still need some discipline if you're trying to lose weight as they won't really keep you feeling full. I'll be buying these again as my I was pretty pleased with the results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 10 Feb 2014
Overall these bars are nice - the chocolate coating is lovely. They do have a slight grainy texture after a while. I bought these as I wanted something that I could keep in my car/bag in case I was hungry when out all day with work. I have only needed half a bar at a time to keep me going and they are great for that. Better than reaching for a chocolate bar with high fat and calories when fruit isn't at hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Low in sugar and very tasty, 6 Mar 2014
Very good for weight training... Low in sugar and very tasty! I take it an hour before gym in the morning and dont even have to have breakfast after.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 9 May 2013
Absolutely love them. Great tast and the best nutritional values of any comparable product that I have found so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chew on this!, 8 Aug 2014
Really like these bars, compared to other protein bars I've had they taste better and have more protein. Fairly easy to eat, there is a bit of chewing to be done but there is no nasty grainy bits on your tongue and the flavour is good. I recommend eating with a drink to aid in the munching and there is a slightly artificial after taste. The low calorie content and high ratio of protein to carbs is great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent trade-off of taste, low calories and high protein content, good for bariatric diets., 25 Mar 2014
There are a lot of products in this category, and each one has its own specific application. These PhD bars are perfect for me as a bariatric patient, since they provide exactly what I need. With a very small stomach, I can't eat large quantities of anything, and getting the recommended daily protein intake of between 25 and 50 grams isn't easy.

These bars have a high protein content (25g) versus low calories (181 per bar), low carbs (14g) and low fat (under 5g). This means I can get the protein I need without adding heavily to my calorie load -- and the relatively small size of the bar (they ARE chewy, though!) means I won't be over-full.

Taste-wise, the chocolate orange flavour is palatable but not very strong, texture is smoother than many other bars, and there is no bad after-taste. Frankly, most protein bars are much of a muchness in the flavour department. To get them to taste good means adding calories, and I would far rather have something bland, like this, than something tastier with an extra 200 calories. I generally have one or half a bar at mid-morning with coffee. It reassures me that I'm not running short of protein.

The price is good, too.

Recommended.

Each bar contains:
181 kcals
25g protein
14g carbs
4.7g fat (2.6g saturated)
0.6g fibre