5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Alpha A-390 has reignited my Photography Passion!
Published on 17 Dec. 2010 by Malinki_Malinki

2.0 out of 5 stars Camera fine, everything else poor!!!!!
Camera is so far fine, however after having next day delivery, my order was first sent to the wrong address... in IRELAND... I finally got my order over two weeks later. The description said this camera came with a charger, although it did come with a charger, it is rubbish, its a universal charger that the battery only just fits in, and so I am having to purchase a...
Published 1 month ago by Rebecca Cumbers

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Alpha A-390 has reignited my Photography Passion!, 17 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Sony DSLRA390L Alpha Digital SLR Camera with SAL1855 Lens (14.2MP 2.5 inch LCD) (Electronics)
I bought the A-390 to replace my Compact Camera (which replaced my old Minolta Film SLR) and it has totally reignited my passion for photography! There is so much you can do with this Camera and it is also so easy to use. The 18-55mm kit lens is an excellent starter lens and outshines the equivalents from the 'big 2'. To really get the best (sharpness) from this I'd set it on ISO 100, Aperture Priority (f4@18mm, f8@35mm and f5.6-f8@55mm) and set the metering/focus to spot. (Focussing on the bridge of the nose at eye-level works for me and gives me consistent eye-sharp detail in portraits). I also always save my pictures as 'RAW + JPEG'.

The camera is intuitive, light, focusses quickly, feels comfortable and, most importantly, takes great pictures! If you know a good amount about digital photography (probably most of you :-) ) then there are plenty of controls and settings to fine-tune your pictures. If you don't know much about digital photography then this camera will really help you to bridge the gap from 'snapper' to 'fair amateur'.

If you want to try some zoom and/or macro lenses, and cost is a factor, then there are great buys to be found on the second hand market, Particularly 'Minolta AF' lenses. (Ensure you get a lens that is 'fungus free' and with no/few scratches.) I also use the Minolta AF 35-105mm and 70-300mm 'Beercan' lenses and both of these give me wonderfully pleasing results.

I love my Sony Alpha A-390 to bits and so far it has given me many hours of pleasure, and, of course, excellent quality photo files. (Note: As well as learning the controls on the camera, really learn how to take good photos as well.)

Would I recommend this camera to others? If you are a beginner then absolutely! If you are more experienced then I would not be so presumptious and would just say that, in my humble opinion, this camera has all the quality and functions needed on an entry-level DSLR. For my money, this is a Great Camera at a Great Price!

5.0 out of 5 stars New camera, 5 Feb. 2011
I was looking for a cross-over digital camera from using a compact.Something not too complex, yet having all the benifits of a more advanced camera. Two features in particular attracted me to the Sony Alpha DSLRA390L. These were the tilting LSD screen. I am partially handicapped and it is difficult to get low shots, but this sorted out matters. The other thing was the anti-shake device. So far I have taken in excess of 300 images and the camera is everything that I expected.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent First DSLR, 26 Oct. 2011
Product came in excellent condition within desired time. Instructions provided on how to use the camera and how to set up. Only thing not mentioned was that you need a SD Memory Card or a HG Duo Memory Card before you can use - it is a good job I had a spare with an M2 8Gig memory card or that would have been an extra expense. There is no case for the product when it arrives so again, you have to purchase separately which is probably advisable if you plan to take with you outdoors and it's raining/snowing. In the box there was a charger, battery, camera body, lens, lens cap, eye cushion for the view finder, Sony strap.

Beautiful appearance. Good lens and focus. Still learning more about it. The protective cap on the camera view finder came off pretty much straight away so for those who travel and move a lot with the camera around your neck, it may be advisable to keep your eye on it or take it off when your moving around. Live view is very good with a movable screen - it means you can take the high and low shots from creative angles. Seemingly good battery power and lens. Not 100% keen on the menu but that is just personal preference. I am a big fan of Sony and this camera is a brilliant first camera, excellent picture quality and auto-focus feature. No videos which was a bit disappointing but pictures make up for it. Would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, 4 Sept. 2011
Love my new Sony alpha 390L - perfect camera for beginners with DSLR, simple and easy to use, makes great photos, many creative options and looks stylish. Very fast delivery (2 days from UK to Estonia, received the camera a month ago so I am still learning and getting to know it, but totally in love with it already :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect first DSLR, 28 Nov. 2011
I have had my Sony A390 for about 3 weeks now. It is my first SLR since my ancient film MTL gave up the ghost several years ago. I managed with a compact during that time but always coveted a DSLR. Now that I have one, I think my compact is going to be very rarely used - it's fantastic! Get out of the automatic settings and you will soon be finding yourself taking lovely photos. There are lots of settings within the semi-automatic functions allowing you to use auto feature set-ups for landscapes/night shooting/b&w shooting (and proper monochrome, none of this digital filter rubbish) and it has produced shot after shot of excellent quality.

Having said all of this, my husband, an SLR novice, borrowed it, using it in almost exclusively automatic mode and got some great shots.

I need to do some more playing, but just on these first few weeks I have been impressed by the quality for the price I paid.

In all, I would thoroughly recommend this to a beginner and more experienced photographer alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony A390, 3 Feb. 2012
Got this camera one Christmas, would definitely recommend it as either a first DSLR or an introductory camera to photography. If you're interested in using it for a lot of indoor shooting would recommend an external flash as the built in one is a little on the weedy side.. After having this camera for just over a year, I can't help but feel I'm starting to grow out of it & am looking to upgrade to another sony possibly a SLT as soon as funds allow. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 July 2013
My first DSLR, amazing pictures compared with my point n shoot, especially at motor sport events. Really pleased and would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Alpha A390L, 7 Dec. 2011
Bought this for my daughter as first DSLR. She absolutely loves it and hasn't had it far from her reach. She has found it easy to use and produced some wonderful images. Would recommend this camera

5.0 out of 5 stars great dslr camera, 21 April 2014
Well built fast focus good battery great photoes . And now the price is fantastic for a carmea of this quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value DSLR camera, 3 Sept. 2014
Good value for money (bought used) camera. Easy to use and has a rechargeable battery. And it makes a great home for my old Minolta SLR lenses!