Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.49

A tale of family intrigue, dark secrets and misunderstanding. I had empathy for the main character, Mitch, who's approaching 40 and needing closure on some painful episodes in his life. Mitch is failing and his life seems to be falling apart. What he has to figure out is whether his current problems are all of his own making or, have events from the past trigerred his meltdown. The Summer Son introduces Mitch at his lowest ebb and charts his journey as he begins to peel away layer after layer of hidden secrets in an attempt to understand his past and, maybe, become reunited with his father. Dealing with both family conflict and the hope of healing this novel has a decent mix of themes which are nicely blended.

The Summer Son isn't particularly challenging or exciting to read but; it does possess a great deal of charm and has some cleverly worked twists and turns.
on 23 August 2013
I couldn't put this book down. It was full of twists and turns and a whole heap of surprises. The love from a single dad who got things wrong but also very right. The book really makes you think about how easy it is to completely misunderstand someone. Very thought provoking. I'm sure I'll think about this story for a long time to come.
This tale of misunderstanding of a son for his father for which he is blameless flits between his childhood summer of 1979 and 2007/8. Every second summer Mitch spends with his father in the wilds of Montana where his father operates a drilling rig. Hard labour and rough living. Something happens that summer of '79 which drives them apart for some 30 years. Something which Mitch does not understand.
In 2007 going through a bad patch with his wife and kids, Mitch starts receiving phone calls from his dad that causes him to suspect that something is not right. His wife persuades him to go up to Montana to make his peace with his father and as some time apart may help their personal difficulties . This results in a slow , difficult dialogue developing between son and father in which much is revealed to both of them. The culmination is one clew to a terrible secret.
Does Mitch learn why his father rejected him and do they reconcile?
A gripping story with believable main characters and well drawn bit part players. The dialogue is crisp and real pulling the reader along at a fair pace. Well done Craig .Lancaster.
on 25 August 2013
Thought this book was very profound,very well written,with you wanting to find why the Father was the way he was,really sensative writing with great understanding of the sublect in hand,was so nice tie up all the ends, to the people mentioned along the way, at end of book.
on 22 May 2013
I almost gave up on this book. Usually I read some 60 pages and then discard or finish a book. This time I persisted. I did enjoy the last quarter of the book. I didn't like the fact that the book kept jumping back in time and then to the present, I found this disconcerting and off putting. The story kept leap-frogging around. I found it difficult to pigeon hole this novel. It was a work of fiction but was it a human interest story, a thriller, a murder mystery in the end it could encompass all three headings. I'll give Craig Lancaster a body swerve in future. I was drawn to the fact the book was set in Montana. I have a thing about the States and have enjoyed many holidays in cities and rural areas there. This book could have been set in a number of differnet states for all the reference it detailed. The latter part of the book took its rating from teo to three stars.
on 28 April 2013
I did quite enjoy this book but found it quite sad. I found it quite stressful reading of the relationships in the broken down family. The father came over as a severely damaged individual struggling to show any emotion to his sons. An interesting read.
on 21 August 2013
This is my kind of story. The characterisation is very good. There is no fat to the story, everything tells you enough about each person and how they relate to each other. A very thought provoking read.
on 13 October 2013
I chose this as a holiday read but found it was much more. Difficult relationships and issues thrashed out over the chapters made it a memorable read - with twist I wasn't expecting at the end. I hadn't read this author before but will look for more of his writing now.
on 18 July 2013
I thought this was a very good book. Although it started a little slowly the piecing together of Mitch's life-effectively in flashback format-did work pretty well here. And the story it told was sad but devastating as all became finally revealed. The characters were pretty believable and everything unfolded convincingly to the finale. Can recommend this as a good read with some interesting issues addressed along the way.
on 13 August 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is very thought provoking. My opinion of one of the main characters changed dramatically throughout the story. I like Craig Lancasters style of writing and look forward to reading more of his work.