on 28 November 2010
I brought this game the other day and already I am hooked to it. It's a lot of fun to play.
The camera controls are a bit tricky to handle at first as things come at you from all angles and you don't know where, but once you get control of them, the game play is much more fun :) And it doesn't take long to control the camera angles as it's really only the up, down, left and right control on the wii remote.

The game starts instantly, which is really good. There is only the prologue, but that is interesting to watch and after that...BAM! Straight into the game! :D
Some parts of the game are trickier than others and some times you wander around thinking well...hang on...how the heck am I meant to do this? You do need patience for this game at some times but the rest of it is really great.
Watch out for these little blob creatures (forgotten the name xD) Some send off a noise when they see you and that makes others come, but be careful because some come from anywhere.

I can't really say much as I haven't completed it yet, Sorry. :(
But, I will say that this is a great buy and I do reccommend that anyone reading this will take my advice and buy it because it is a really good game. Enough action and enough puzzles to solve makes it really enjoyable and addictive too hehee :)
on 2 December 2010
OK... opinion? *I will be totally spoiler free!* :) :)

I love it!!

It will really help if you are a fan of Mickey Mouse/Disney theme parks in general, as there are so many little references and easter eggs to look out for! The overall presentation is nice, with a hub world branching out to various other worlds via 2D platforming sections (these tend to last for 2mins or so, just enough so that they don't get stale for the player). Graphically the game looks like a tidied up N64 game, but I must admit this adds to the charm, gets a bit nostalgic! (the cutscenes however are very very well done).

The ink you use as a weapon is verrrrry similar to Mario Sunshine, with B and Z distributing paint and thinner; paint turning enemies to your side and thinner killing them outright. This does prove for some interesting gameplay mechanics (for example, thinning out the floor beneath enemies feet so that they drop into a chasm - always good for a laugh).

The hub world has many characters roaming around, many of which with their own side quests ala Zelda. Sadly though these tend to be little more than "fetch X from Y" for which you will be awarded the games currency. I hope these develop a little further into more fleshed out quests, but I doubt they will.

The environments are all based off of 'forgotten' Disney rides/films/characters and so have a very nice dark feel to them with characters acting in a very depressing way; clearly distraught at their dilemma - this reminds me of Majoras Mask in a way, can only be a good thing!

Overall I would recommend this game to anybody who is a fan of 3D platformers in general, just don't go out there hoping for a Mario killer app, as this is just something tidy to tide you over to the next big budget release.
I bought Epic Mickey over the Christmas period having loved the look of the trailers and watching the opening scene on you tube. First off I love graphic style of this game, for the Wii it really does stand out as one of the best looking 3rd party games. The music is very Disney and so is the story if a little darker than you may be used to.

Watching the opening prologue is essential to understanding the games story, it shows you how Mickey creates the world you eventually play in. Mickey gets captured and finds himself between the wasteland world's twisted borders and embarks on a mission to get himself out while making amends for what he did.

To get through the game Mickey is armed with a paintbrush which acts as both a Painter and Thinner. You use the paint to paint objects in while using the thinner to remove obstacles in your path, it really is an original idea which is another reason this game stands out. You will learn through your travels that hidden items are hidden throughout the world and thinning as much as possible will allow you to find them.

Throughout the game you will be faced with enemies called blotlings which you can paint to make them friendly then they will turn blue and ignore Mickey and even help him out against other blotlings or you can choose to thin them out which will get rid of them completely. Along with these two options Mickey also have a spin attack which is used much like it is in Mario Galaxy by a quick flick of the Wiimote. Later upgrades will give Mickey TV's used to distract enemies, an anvil to crush them and get to higher levels and the ability to slow down time for a few crucial seconds which is handy when moving through fast spinning blades and closing walls.
Alongside the main game you can also take part in sub quests by helping out the world's local folk which earns you extra items and power sparks that are needed to allow you to open up new worlds to progress through the game.

Throughout the game you will be faced with choices which will determined the games ending and mostly consist of finding certain items and painting bosses or thinning them out. There are a few choices that will creep up on you and before you know it you have already made your choice before you realized it which is another reason to reply the game along with the alternative endings this game holds.

You travel between the worlds in the wasteland through a projector screen and enter a 2D sideways scroller. The change is nice at first but doesn't last long before becoming repetitive especially when you are forced to go back and forth for sub quests. The other annoying part of this game and probably the biggest is the games camera; it's hard to control what it does sometimes making the easiest jumps difficult and boss fights very frustrating especially when moving around them and the camera is off facing a wall. You can bring the camera back to behind Mickey but when trying to move around a boss it's not the way you always want to face so sometimes you are not even facing the boss.

On whole Epic Mickey is a very entertaining game which allows multiply playthroughs but sometimes the camera issues can be a game killer!
on 29 November 2010
OMG I am such a Disney fanatic - this game is brill. It is one of the best games on the Wii and I haven't found the controls a problem at all :D. I spent 5 1/2 hours playing it on Saturday and was in my own Disneyland for a while. The game is based in Mickey's choices whther to be helpful or michevious in each action leading to a diff outcome i.e. once the game is completed you can start it again with a diff intention and have a diff games experience. The paint and thinner mechanic is also genius. I'm so happy I bought this game!!!
I’m not much of a gamer, and when I do play a video game, I prefer the simpler games like I grew up playing. As a result, the quest games that follow a long story through a created world aren’t normally my thing. But I quickly made an exception when Epic Mickey was released for Wii. You expected this Disnerd to do any differently?

The game is a dream for those of us who love all things Disney. Once upon a time, the wizard Yensid (from the movie Fantasia) created a world for all the forgotten Disney characters to retire to. However, during its construction, Mickey accidentally stumbles into the studio and spills paint and thinner on it. Now, years later, the place is in disrepair and Mickey is kidnapped and drawn into the world, now known as Wasteland. In order to get out, he must make his way through a bunch of quests. He is helped along the way by Gus, a Gremlin who helps guide you through the game. You also have a paint brush filled with paint and thinner you can use to create or erase things and even enemies in the world.

I’ve got to confess that I have had multiple geek out moments as I’ve played this game. You spend parts of it chasing Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and you meet up with Clarabelle and Horace. Plus you are playing through levels that resemble various places in Disneyland (some say Disney World, but I think of Disneyland). While most people will recognize the places, few will probably get the characters. I’m enough of a Disnerd that I not only get them but I absolutely love seeing them.

The game looks impressive. As my brother was the first say what I was thinking when we started playing it together, it’s Disney with a Gotham City make over. You’ll recognize much of what you are playing through, but it looks darker, sadder, and run down. Okay, so it’s still cartoony rather than realistic looking, but since we are living in a cartoon world, that’s not that surprising.

Likewise, the music is good. It sounds like the soundtrack from some epic movie. Yes, at times they mix in classic Disney songs, but at other times it is all completely brand new.

The majority of the game is made up of various quests, and you have to explore your current level to find what you want, then bring it back to your starting point. It gets repetitive, and it would be nice if they mixed it up a bit more. I also don’t like the fact that once you move through an area, you can’t get back there easily. So make sure you have explored everything there is to see before you move on.

Much has been said of the “camera” for the game, and with good reason. That is the weakest flaw by far. It can be hard at times to get things to the angle you really need to see. Yes, you can use some buttons on your controller to tilt the camera and you can hit one button to recenter the camera from Mickey’s viewpoint, both things I do regularly. But still, it manages to mess me up and kill me more often than I would like.

Then again, that’s also part of my non-gamer nature coming to the forefront. I get frustrated after two or three tries at an area if I can’t move on, and there are a few points in the game that have really frustrated me. This game will probably be too complex for those under late elementary school age, and just at the time when Disney will no long be cool. Then again, with all the obscure Disney history in this game, maybe the real target is adults after all.

The games uses not only the Wiimote but all the Nunchuck as well. You use the little joystick to move and the buttons to jump and spray the paint and thinner. You shake the Wiimote to do an attack spin. I found these controls very easy to grasp, and they were second nature to me almost right away. I struggled a bit more with aiming the paintbrush when I shoot the paint and thinner. There is a target on the screen that reads off your Wiimote and where it is currently pointing. I kept firing and wondering why Mickey was shooting the paint in a different direction until I remembered to watching where I was aiming that thing.

There are lots of times where your actions determine the outcome of the game. If you aren’t careful, you can make characters mad at you who won’t help you later. Or, if you free them from a prison, they’ll save you a lot of work later. That’s definitely an interesting feature.

As you transition from one world to another, you do it through 2D levels based on classic Mickey shorts. Most everyone will have at least heard of the shorts we play through, things like “Steamboat Willie” or “Mickey and the Beanstalk.” All of that is very fun as well, although these levels don’t add too much to the overall game.

This is a game I enjoy in spurts. I’ll pay it several times for a week and get a little frustrated with a level. Then I’ll walk away for a while and come back and enjoy it again later. Okay, some of my breaks are also because I don't have the time to play it much. People who more regularly play these games will probably find it easier than I do, however. I know my sister-in-law breezed through it.

But I do enjoy Epic Mickey. It’s not an easy game, made harder by a the poor camera, but it is a blast for Disney fans of all stripes with the almost constant nods to the Disney we already know or might have forgotten.
on 13 January 2011
I'm a big fan of good platform games, and I'm quite fussy about which I play. Obviously (well, obviously to me!), you can't beat Super Mario games - nothing ever will! However, I rate this game very highly!

I note that the more negative reviews on here sound like they are from people who possibly haven't done much gaming before, and hence have problems with the controls. If you've played a good few platform games before, then you'll pick up the controls straight away.

I'm 30, and I love this game- I don't know how much kids would enjoy it as I have no idea what kids are into these days (do kids still watch Mickey Mouse cartoons?), but I think it's quite obviously aimed at adults (and older kids). I love the retro cartoon sections between areas - which are one of the reasons I think it's aimed at an older audience- so much fun and the animations are wonderful!

Some people have commented that the camera views can be a bit tricky - they're controlled quite similaraly as in other platform games, e.g. Mario. I find that they're fine most the time, just occasionally I press 1 to see things from Mickey's point of view and then it won't change back to normal view. Very slight glitch though.

Overall, great fun to play - it's not so easy that it's boring, and it's not so hard that you're baffled what to do. I honestly haven't been stuck what to do once yet (and I'm about 10 hrs into the game), but some of the challenges have taken me several attempts to complete/find what I'm looking for and definitely aren't too easy.
on 26 November 2010
Okay, let's get into the meat of the gameplay straight away without any further ado. Basically, you will have control and camera issues at first but if you're patient enough, you will learn to adjust these through the relevant button presses ( C button snaps behind Mickey and D-Pad for UDLR ). My only gripe is that I couldn't change to the more gamer-friendly inversion of the Y axis to make the up down and vice-versa. You'll also need to get used to tapping the buttons quickly to get the best response, as opposed to your normal press-and-let-go operation.

As for the gameplay style, it's a cross between Mario Sunshine and Spyro the Dragon...from my experience with all games from both stables. The painting and thinning work well for the most part, but you will have to make sure you're on just the right spot now and then to hit the sweet area. In the couple of hours or so that I've played it, the minor battle sections don't offer much of a challenge and probably won't for some time. You can choose to get rid of or befriend them with a blast of thinner or paint respectively. Contrary to some reviews, there is a minor lock-on ability using the C button. The rest of your time is taken up with an ever-increasing list of quests to do, ranging from finding special area-specific items to fixing pipes and other structural repairs. The homage to older and mostly forgotten characters is evident right from the start in both levels and music.

The levels are adequately structured to give you hints as to what needs your attention whether it be for collection of currency or a little brushwork. It looks fine during gameplay with bright "toon" graphics mixing with run-of-the-mill stonework and wood. Beware the liquid areas which do 1/5 damage at a time. The cut-scenes are very nice when fully rendered but mostly you'll see flat 2D moments inbetween main areas.

The 8/10 score from other good sites has it about right I think, although I obviously need a little longer at it to form a proper opinion. There's around 15 to 20 hours here depending how much you like to collect as much as possible that's on offer. All in all, a sound title which gives the main character a well needed boost of publicity and proving that, after all these years, Mickey Mouse can still cut it with the regular guys!
55 comments|8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2012
The premise of Epic Mickey is an interesting one, and not one just for Disney aficionados. Mickey, the obvious protagonist and Disney's flagship character, discovers the world of the Wasteland through an accident in the Sorceror's laboratory. Here reside the characters and designs who filled Disney's early cartoons before the arrival of feature films, and the appearance of a certain Mouse caused much of Uncle Walt's early work to be forgotten and neglected.Prime in this world is Oswald the Lucky Rabbit; Walt Disney's first creation whilst working at the studios of Universal, and yet one of Disney's most little-known creations until the House of Mouse re-acquired Oswald from Universal Studios in 2006. The titular rabbit governs the Wasteland and its inhabitants, until Mickey's clumsiness in the laboratory unleashes a dark evil known as The Blot: Mickey must then go on to rescue the Wasteland from the darkness and return to his own world. The `dark' theme runs through the whole of Epic Mickey - conceiving a world where Mickey is no longer the hero but the `villain'; blamed for the fall in popularity of Oswald and his brethren and cause of their eviction to the Wasteland, all but forgotten. It's certainly an interesting twist on Mickey's usual role as flawless hero; but despite the slight darkness which is cast over Epic Mickey (at least compared to Disney's usual, cheery output), it's by no means the Magic Kingdom revolution that the title arguably implies.

The accident leaves Mickey with the sorceror's Magic Brush, allowing him to `paint' the landscape and characters, or `thin' them out with turpentine; controlled using the Wii remote and pointer: Removing or adding scenery is then used to reach a previously-unreachable area, tackle enemies, reveal passageways, or fill in a cog to fix a broken ferris wheel to allow you to reach the top; simply point where you want to paint/thin, and hold B to fire paint or Z to fire thinner. When it's used to navigate a path from through a level or environment it works delightfully, and for those who stray from the beaten track, deft use of the brush will reveal treasures such as collectable medals and Epic Mickey`s currency, E-tickets. Rarely does progress feel impeded by the way past an obstacle being obscured or unclear, though don't expect to expend too much brainpower in discerning the route upon which you're shepherded through the level. It's feels a shame that there's not `more' that can be done with the brush: There's just the tiniest suspicion that the only thing holding back levels from possessing more interactivity is not the lack of imagination of the level designer or puzzle mechanics, but the limitations of the Wii console. Movement between the Mean Street U.S.A. hub and other levels takes the form of a variety of 2-D platform levels, each set in a previous Mickey Mouse cartoon environment (e.g. Steamboat Willie, Clock Cleaners, etc.). They're glorified loading screens, and whilst relatively pleasant on the first run though, since you're obliged to run through each time you travel from the hub to level or vice versa, you'll be rather sick of the sight of them fairly soon.

Manoeuvring Mickey around the Wasteland is (largely) a piece of cake, then; if hampered by possibly the worst camera that's ever been witnessed in a third-person/action-adventure game: Sometimes it feels like it's pointed at anything but Mickey himself, and becomes even more of a handful when you're also intending to use in combination with the Magic Brush and the Wii Remote's pointer. Indeed, there are times when you'll be controlling Mickey through a level and he's not even visible on-screen, or spraying paint all over the scenery except what you're explicitly aiming at with the Wii Remote; to say nothing of the camera's ability to radically change position just as you're leaping to the next platform, causing Mickey to leap suicidally into a sea of turpentine and die a horrible, thinned-out death. Amongst the rest of the game's top-quality production values, it's a catastrophic crash back to Earth; unforgivable when titles like Super Mario Galaxy are amongst your competition.
Epic Mickey is yet one more game that strives to spark the sentiments of true freedom of character progression, letting the player shape the hero's actions, personality and lean towards the forces of light or dark. Where this works in the Fable universe where your character essentially starts off as a blank canvas, trying to implant such sentiments on Mickey, a character which is already the absolute embodiment of everything that is `good' and metaphor for the American dream, these efforts ultimately collapse. It's also never clear who Mickey's meant to be `fighting' - is it the Mad Doctor, who remains the baddie in the first half; the Shadow Blot, who Mickey ultimately battles at the finale but isn't mentioned beforehand; or Oswald, the counterfoil to Mickey's purity? It underlines the ambiguity that is rife through Epic Mickey, a lack of cohesion or direction in story; a wonderful title that's not been permitted the opportunity to show enough innovation.

With some solid controls, novel and (usually) entertaining gameplay and some top-notch art and design, there's a lot of fun to be had with Epic Mickey. So why does it fall so short? Maybe it's the feeling that it's only a shadow of what could have been: If those initial ideas had translated to an edgy re-invention of all things Mouse, then I'd be whistling a different tune. As it is, it feels soul-less, as if everything that could have made Epic Mickey great was cut out; leaving just a cold, empty body where a beating heart and individual personality should. So, what we end up with is, much like those who roam the Wasteland: Heroes whose true calling has long been forgotten, and so now merely go through the motions with a glazed expression, and no beating heart.
on 13 February 2011
Epic Mickey is one of those games that should be great. It has all the right ingredients but it just hasn't been cooked long enough. Now dont get me wrong its still a good game and its one of the great games on the Wii but it just falls short of the mark. The problem really is Epic Mickey tries to do everything but never really achieves any of it.

RPG elements of the game come in with the choices you make. You have the choice to paint or thin, to betray people in the waist land for a shiny pin or the easy way forward or help them out and make them your ally. But the consequences of your actions are not that great and weather you use paint or thinner just comes down to which is easier. As much as they want you to feel you are choosing your own path your not, your following a set path with set points where minor choices can be made. You wont want to spend a huge amount of time doing side quests or talking to different characters because there not enough depth to it, something a real RPG has. Platforming is fun but easy and sometimes just a time wast. Fighting never really feels good because the camera is all over the place and enemies are repetitive and take too long to kill or befriend. Besides you can never get too excited about killing various kinds of blobs.

When Epic mickey gets it right though it get it right. The environments are beautiful and inventive. The story is compelling and boss battles are rewarding and its always a thrill to bump into a beautifully rendered Disney character. This game feels best when you are free to explore without the threat of an awkward battle. Glimpses of greatness will push you forward in this game.

If you took out a lot of clunky blotling fighting and overcomplicated battle mechanics and really delved into the RPG elements you would have a classic. As it is you have a game not like any other, something that is often frustrating but is also beautiful and inventive.
on 26 November 2010
Hi all :)

I just bought this game and played for a few hours, (updated 02/12/10, six hours into the game, updated 03/01/11, completed) having bought a Wii in anticipation of its release.

I'm very pleased to see a left handed control option in this game although so far I haven't the faintest idea why it's necessary: perhaps this will become evident as the game progresses.

The only major thing I can't work out in the game is the use of 'guardians' which are little blobs of paint/thinner that you earn, and which float around your body. Apparently if you hold the wiimote vertical they show you where to go: doesn't happen for me! You can also send them to attack baddies by flicking the nunchuk: again, doesn't work for me at all!

*UPDATE* I bought a new nunchuk in case it was the second hand one playing up and no, it's not that: still no idea at all how to make those blobs do their job but I have completed the game without them so they seem to be pretty unnecessary anyway... would be nice to know how to use them though!

Positives so far:
* Beautiful to look at
* Characters are well animated and spot on for Disney, even the jokes in dialogue are actually pretty funny!
* Unusual weaponry and simple, fun quests to unlock so far
* The story is good, well thought out and unique in my opinion.
* You CAN complete the same game again to find missed pins and complete other quests.

Negatives so far:
* Instruction booklet is barely there. There's more info in it about screen resolution than about the controls it seems! Apparently you can lock on with the C button but I can only get it to work half the time: no idea why as it doesn't tell you how to lock on in the game or the booklet. same story for the Guardians.
* It's difficult to control your direction, weaponry and camera at the same time. Similarly jumps seem a little to hard to control to me? It's because Mickey changes direction in midair if you move the joystick, whereas I'm used to a straight line of flight.
* Some of the quests can't be completed after certain stages and become 'failed quests' but there's no warning before you leave an area that it will happen. Also you can't go back to a lot of the levels which is RUBBISH as I'd assumed you could and just powered through :P

So, I've completed it and I have to say I wish it could have been harder: the only challenge comes from constantly falling off of things and getting stuck in corners whilst baddies clobber you, not because the boss fights take much working out. The last boss is a bit of a joke also; I wanted an Epic battle but it's more like a series of mini-levels...

Still, I'm going to go back and do it again: I wanna see all the endings!

See one answered question