5.0 out of 5 stars At last a decent upgrade to FTM
The two previous upgrades have been little more than bugfixes and a couple of minor new features, which have been greeted by scorn in many reviews on Amazon. This upgrade is rather different, offering various significant improvements.

Published on 14 Feb 2011 by Thomas Pots

1.0 out of 5 stars You are in danger of losing your family data if you upgrade.
Published on 9 May 2011 by Nick Grimshaw

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a decent upgrade to FTM, 14 Feb 2011
Thomas Pots "T Pots" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum (PC) (DVD-ROM)

The addition of automatic person and relationship numbering is long overdue, but goes some way to solving the problem of getting the right "Joe Bloggs" in a Bloggs family full of Joes.

The extension of "fastfields" to description fields is very welcome. No more typing in "agricultural labourer" or "domestic servant" umpteen times! FTM now guesses what you are typing. This also removes many typographical errors.

The Timeline view benefits from being customizable. This is very useful, because users in the UK can now modify "The Boer Wars" so they appear in British or World historical events instead of just African. You can now add other historical events that are important to your family, or remove those that are not. This is American software, so it lists various events that mean nothing much outside America. It lists "Ford Model T Manufactured in Detroit" under "World History" but doesn't mention "The Blitz" or "VE Day" or "British National Health Service launched" at all, all of which are important historical events in Britan. Well now you can put all that right.

Having said this, the improvement has robbed us of the amusement to be had from seeing things like "Battle Of Little Big Horn" listed among the historical events that might be relevant to one's "agricultural labourer" ancestors living in Norfolk!

Places now actually understands that you are in the UK and not America. When you in the UK search for "Oxford" it no longer assumes you mean "Oxford Alabama". This makes it almost unnecessary to resort to Googling Bing Maps all the time (the irony being that FTM uses Bing Maps).

Media management is a little better. The reports are significantly better, but they still do not include a datestamp (so you know when a particular report was created). Web Search is now tied-in more closely with FTM, and seems to run more smoothly too.

The user interface has had a minor polish. It is now green (was blue) and has some new toolbar icons. The People view (the one with the family tree) is easier to navigate, though it doesn't come close to the fluidity and ease of the Ancestry app that they offer (for free) on iPhone (which looks fantastic on iPad).

Sources can still get in a bit of a knot though, especially where copies of sources occur. I found that compacting the database and then restarting FTM sorts that out.

The user guide is now in a printed book. That's handy but I prefer to use the PDF copy that comes on the CD. Their technical author does a pretty good job, but she would do well to concentrate on documenting the step-by-step procedures more consistently. For a technical author, her grammar is a bit slack, too.

One last thing - FTM comes in a much smaller box than before. About time too. The huge empty box it used to come in was a bit silly.

Overall, it's a worthy update. It's not spectacular, but for once is genuinely worth the money. As for the future, I am not convinced that Ancestry will continue with desktop software of this kind for many more years. The huge improvements being made in Ancestry's web-based FTM software shows where they are spending their software development budget. I predict that, in 2-3 years, we'll not be installing FTM on our computers at all, but will be doing the whole thing via a web-based applicaton (in other words, doing it the Cloud Computing way). That bodes well for instant software updates, and far better integration between their web-search tools and the users' FTM databases.

1.0 out of 5 stars You are in danger of losing your family data if you upgrade., 9 May 2011
Nick Grimshaw (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I have be using FTM software for many a year and have always bought the latest version. The problem with this 2011 version is it will not import a reasonable sized previous version Family Tree File. The support is pathetic and extremely confusing even for a computer literate person. You are in a great deal of danger of losing your data if you do not take full back-ups of your existing FTM file (in my case FTM2010). The conversion of your file will take a long time almost 24 hours in my case, I have about 4000 names in my tree and when it is finished or half finished in my case, it had corrupted the file, is incomplete and does not work. I have tried all the fixes on their website and nothing works so have come to the conclusion this is the most appalling upgrade of software I have ever encounted, don't use it unless you are a new user and are starting from scratch - otherwise you will be sorry.
I've had to revert back to using the 2010 version after almost 4 months of trying to get 2011 version to work.

Come on FTM sort this problem out fix your software and stop ignoring the problem - post some understandable advice on your website or put some clear warnings on the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum, 13 Nov 2010
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Purchased in October as soon as it was released and I have used it nearly every day since. The free 6 months prescription to Ancestry.com makes the purchase a great buy. There some gliches with the latest version of FTM however these appear to have been corrected in an update released 10 November. I had been using FTM 2006 for three years which is an excellent programme but I was forced to change when I upgraded my computer to Windows 7. The FTM 2011 screen layout is very busy and not as user friendly as my 2006 version however I had no choice but to change. 2011 has many new features and greater flexibility, it is well worth the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum PC, 7 Dec 2010
Jaq (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Easy to install and a very worthwhile upgrade. I upgraded from FTM 2005, and this is far superior especially with the hints when registered with Ancestry.
Note it's best to check everything is working ok before you register (although I had no problems).
The only downer I had is the All-In-One chart is rubbish. Luckily it allows you to keep FTM 2005 and FTM 2011 both installed on one PC, and so I could use the old proggy to create a decent chart.

Don't buy it thinking you can get plug-ins to add features you might want later. There arn't any, and haven't been since plug-ins were introduced (2009 I think).

Other than that an excellent product which still has room for improvment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Christmas present I could have bought myself, 15 Dec 2010
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I had a very early version of FTM and wished to update it. I was nervous about doing so in case I lost anything. I have Windows 7 premium and uploaded my old FTMs before purchasing the 2011 version. I had no problems at all, all my media was transferred and I successfully merged my paternal line with my maternal line. I adore it.

Pam

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Family Tree Software, 2 Jan 2011
R. Parker (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Powerful software with comprehensive 340-page printed manual included. Excellent charting capabilities. Dovetails with Ancestry.co.uk and Ancestry.com websites. Beginners and experienced researchers alike will find the easy way to merge information from Ancestry databases and member family trees particularly appealing. A little more advice on the best way (of several options) of linking facts to their associated documents would be helpful to novices, as would a few examples of how to set up documents such as marriage certificates as information sources. Minor complaints for an otherwise outstanding product--particularly good value if you take advantage of the free six-month Ancestry membership that comes with it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum, 13 Jan 2011
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I have recently bought an ASUS 1015pd net book (Windows 7)for carrying around to various sites whilst researching family ancestry. I understood problems could be expected between Windows 7 and FTM 2010 so also purchased FTM 2011 which I noted was compatible with the new Op. System. Add to this I needed a CD drive to install the new program into the net book. The CD drive (Duronic) worked immediately after connecting to the netbook with no problems. However, when installing FTM 2011, it loaded apparently correctly but was impossible to access either from the desktop shortcut or via "programs" as advised. After a few further attempts I loaded 2011 into my Acer laptop with no particular troubles. Confounded I again re-booted the netbook and was offered "updates" immediately which I accepted. Result - no further problem in access to the program. For those using 2011, if you experience problems make sure you are online when installing and accept the updates to the program. I now lookforward to finding out more about the program having previously used 2005 and 2010.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not Sync with Ancestry!, 28 Jun 2011
S. A. Hughes (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum (PC) (DVD-ROM)
The blurb about this product above states 'Integrate seamlessly with Ancestry.co.uk and receive hints and links to matching records in your tree'. I'm not sure what was intended by that statement, but what I personally interpreted was that the two applications would work together without problems! This is NOT the case. I wanted to work online in Ancestry sharing my trees with family members, and use Family Tree Maker to ensure I had a copy of the data on my own computer, and for features that Ancestry does not have. The trouble is, who wants to maintain the same tree in two separate places, and all the combination of these two applications does is destroy parts of the data you do have. The applications DO NOT SYNC with each other. It is possible to import and export from both applications, but the Family Tree Maker help file clearly indicates not all data is transferred, and other data is re-categorised.

Buy the software if you're already using it and want the upgrade. Buy it if you just want the discounted Ancestry membership. Don't buy it if you absolutely want/need/require Family Tree Maker to "Integrate seamlessly with Ancestry.co.uk" because in my personal view you'll be sorely disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum Edition, 1 Jan 2011
G. O. Mance "GerryM" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I have used Family Tree Maker in vatious versions, over the years, I would heartily endorse the latest version, especially the Platinum version, because it includes 6 months free subscription to Ancestry, its close integration with Ancestry making it easier to get at records when using FTM 2011, also the inclusion of the Companion Guide to FTM 2011, if you think you know FMT this guide may make you think again, it is a worthy addition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Been using the previous version for years, good upgrade, 5 Mar 2011
Mr. N. Coleman (SW England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum (PC) (DVD-ROM)
As the title says, I'm no stranger to FTM, I've been using many of the versions for quite some years, as a sporadic researcher. I find the various functions, layouts, search facilities and incorporation that FTM offers to be quite a time-saver and this latest incarnation is definitely another incremental improvement on a good and strong product which is old enough to be called 'mature'.

The deal on Amazon with the access package to boot makes this superb value for money and allows one sufficient access to the various services to determine whether FTM and Ancestry are the right combination for you - there will always be those who don't like some aspects of the service or software and this allows one to explore both without resorting to annual subscriptions prior to being certain the product meets with your approval.

Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum (PC)
Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum (PC) by Avanquest Software (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Used & New from: 19.98