4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and easy to use.
I found this very easy to set up on my computer, I have got the previous version already but i had some problems. No problems with this version. It links up to all the information I've already got on ancestory.com and up loads them into the programme software without much effort on my part.
I didn't think I would get the free membership to ancestory.com as I'm...
Published on 25 May 2011 by Suzanne Moore

2.0 out of 5 stars Down grade in my opinion
I upgraded(?) from the 2006 version to the 2011 version and I have to say that I was very disapointed. Even after 3 months of use data entry is much slower than it was with the 2006 version.
Published on 12 Mar. 2011 by Nicola Anderson

2.0 out of 5 stars Down grade in my opinion, 12 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2011 Deluxe (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I use pdf files generated from the reports to email close family changes to the tree. The changes to the way that the pdfs are generated means that I cannot now produce a 1 page version of the all in one tree, or even a 1 page descendant tree for a large branch of the tree. I used the one page versions as they were easy to read and of a small size.
I also produce a descendant tree that shows births, deaths, marriages, residences and occupations giving a compact documented tree. On 2006 the file produced for a 450 person branch is about 453k. The 2011 version has about twice as many pages, is 15 meg in size and runs out of memory around page 110, despite there being 10 gig available on disk available to the virtual memory.
I'm not impressed at having to export a ged file from the 2011 version and load it into the 2006 version to produce reports of any size.
I'm thinking of upgrading back to the 2006 version!

2.0 out of 5 stars Unintuitive, clunky and overmighty!, 6 Oct. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been building my tree for 10 years. For most of that time, I've used an old version of GSP Family Tree Genealogy Suite (New Version PC), which is dated and incompatible with Windows 7, but intuitive and provides vertical, easily navigable trees.

I have occasionally tried Family Tree Maker, the last time being 2005. I found it over-engineered, difficult to navigate, annoying and more interested in signing me up to Ancestry as some kind of annuity customer than it ever was in helping me document my ancestors. I was therefore curious to see whether things had got any better.

I'm afraid Family Tree Maker is still as awful as ever. Who wants sideways trees?! Who wants to be nagged to join Ancestry? This is a big, clunky, unfriendly piece of software that is vastly overengineered for the simple task we all want it to do. How hard can it be to make a tree program that is easy to use?!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and easy to use., 25 May 2011
Suzanne Moore "Suzanne" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I didn't think I would get the free membership to ancestory.com as I'm already a member but the three months was added to my current time. Which I love, thank you.
It sets my family tree out easily and clearly so I can show other members of my family all the new members I've found. There are several different versions of the family tree I can pick from as well. There is alot on this programme that I haven't been able to go through it all yet but I'm looking forward to have a good play around on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Updated, 17 Oct. 2010
L. Richardson (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2011 Deluxe (PC) (DVD-ROM)
First there are not big changes from the privous versions. The only reason I bought it was for the time lines on the maps. It is a particular intrest to me and so worth the upgrade. Otherwise I'm not sure why you would upgrade if you had a recent version of the software. If you have a intrest in building and resarching your family tree then I would recommend this software. It works very well and intgrates very well with the web site. One wish was that you could do direct updates from web site to offline version and back again easily. As it is you have to export or import a file of your tree. Don't get me wrong it is not in any way hard to do but I would expect a one button approch in this day. For me it is important to have a offline verison safe of my tree which has taken a year of work to create. I can't imagin what I would do if the website crashed. Beyond that there are some things that this software does better then the online site. Printing is the first thing that comes to mind. In summary if you already have a version, then think hard about the upgrade before parting with your money. Maybe wait a while untill the cost comes down. If you have no version then you should get one as a backup to your online version. In that case you could get an older version a lot cheaper. But what ever you do this software does work well and so you not regreat buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Persevere, 4 May 2011
Kevin McIlroy (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Before I start let me say that I am not a vastly experiences genealogist, I am however an enthusiastic amateur who has done some research into my own family. I am an IT professional as well so my comments may be coloured by that.

Firstly the CD took an absolute age to load - I was afraid that I was going to have to return it because the drive refused to read the disc, but after some perseverance (going off and doing the washing up) it finally worked. The install is straight forward. I did need to be logged on to the internet to complete registration and to activate Ancestry membership required a further phone call but the person was very helpful and that was in place within minutes.

The product itself is quite comprehensive, I started by loading in a family tree that I had previously built and it worked like a dream - just about seamless. As is the interface with Ancestry - little green leaves on the individuals block show you when the program thinks that there are links in Ancestry that relate to your ancestor (this could be anything from an entry in the Births Deaths and Marriages register, through census records, right up to entries in other trees loaded into Ancestry.

FTM is a big application - too big to cover in a short review - and unfortunately the manual can't do justice to the software but if you persevere I think you will be hard pressed to find a better product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great software, some synching issues!, 17 May 2011
South Londoner (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've started researching my family tree and I wanted a programme that could help. Family Tree Maker fits the bill! It installed easily on my laptop (windows 7) and is quite easy to use. It is designed to work with Ancestry.com and comes with 3 months essential UK membership worth 33 pounds. Ancestry.com is brilliant and enables you to share your growing family tree with other family members who can fill in the gaps and add missing details. The essential membership enables you to search the basic UK archives and the programme alerts you to possible matches both in the archives and in other peoples family trees.

Pros:
Simple interface
Integrates with ancestry.com
Free Iphone app so you can edit your tree on your phone
Automatically maps addresses

Cons:
Synching with ancestry.com is an issue. Changes made online via the website or using the iphone app automatically save changes to your ancestry.com family tree but changes made via the programme need to be uploaded manually AND get saved as a new tree rather than just updating the tree thats already there. This is a major flaw! Especially when you are collaborating with several family members.

All in all a good product with some very nice features perfect for the amateur genealogist. If the synching issues were sorted out it would be 5 stars!

3.0 out of 5 stars FTM 2011 okay but not great, 11 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2011 Deluxe (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Very excited to upgrade from FTM 2005 to 2011, however somewhat disappointed with the product. First of all the appearance, although a contemporary look, is much more difficult to navigate compared to 2005. Family members appear as just another data field rather than the unique page per person in 2005 and when you select individual it squeezes all known data on to one page. Surely Ancestry must realise their audience tends to be slightly older than the ipod generation and prefer slighly bigger fonts and a degree of simplicity.
I was anticipating great things with the maps function but my first street name (Dudley St, Paddington) was inaccurate, FTM2011 uses microsoft "Bing" which shows incorrect street names (try it then compare to Google maps) I've been to Dudley St and know Google is correct. Nearly every location I have was unrecognised by Bing and I now need to "resolve" my place names to suit the Software, 644 of them (which can't be right).
Overall I would say if you haven't used any previous product then it's okay but if you have then I wouldn't recommend it (yet), although I have received an update which fixes some bugs.

4.0 out of 5 stars slow to install but easy and fun to use., 19 May 2011
Hettie Lawrence (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this took quite a while to install, but once it was running it was easy to use and there were no problems. It comes with a very useful 3 months membership of ancestry.co.uk, which is a great start to your family tree project. There's a useful maps feature which lets you track where ancestors lived, and how they migrated. There's also a timeline for each individual, tracking key events. The design is beautiful, with images of trees and your family members amongst the branches. It's really fun and easy to use. I've only just started my project, so I'll return in a few months to update my review when I've used the software more extensively.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, if imperfect, 6 May 2011
Mr Gumby "DH" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This installed slowly but got there in the end, then it ran quickly and without any hiccups.

The product did just about all I expected, even if the interface isn't the most intuitive. Reporting seems well thought-out. There are some nice touches including a useful iPhone app, if you happen to have an iPhone.

Integration with the website is well-implemented except that you have to transfer updates between PC and Web manually - unacceptable when it's so easy to synchronise other products, these days.

I was impressed with Smart Story, which I believe is new. It helps you develop a narrative text describing your family by dragging in elements from your tree. The great thing about this is that, when those elements change, the narrative gets updated automatically. Excellent.

I had a few problems with mapping accuracy and there were several other usability irritations but, ultimately, this did all I needed, so I would certainly recommend it and feel it represents good-value.

3.0 out of 5 stars FTM 2005 user buys FTM 2011, 18 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Family Tree Maker 2011 Deluxe (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I have been a very happy FTM 2005 user since 2005. As feared, FTM 2011 looks and feels entirely different.

I have had work experience of migrating to new versions of software which has been revamped, Microsoft ones being everyday examples. This poses established users with the same problem.

In a nutshell, the experience is akin to suffering a stroke, whereby you perform everyday, habitual, comfortable actions and something else happens, or nothing happens at all. Productivity nosedives, frustration mounts and much gnashing of teeth ensues.

Both at work and with FTM 2011 people reassure me that a) brand new users find it easier to get going with the newer versions (good for them) and b) if I stick at it for about a year I'll eventually find it much better than the old version, 'nuff said.

Why move at all? Backward incompatability is the phrase, I think. The newcomer to our group can't buy FTM 2005 so she had to buy FTM 2011, so nothing she builds will be readable by me, just as newer Windows ".docx" are unreadable by my tried, trusted, lightning fast and reliable ".doc" version.

It's progress, I suppose.

Family Tree Maker 2011 Deluxe (PC)
Family Tree Maker 2011 Deluxe (PC) by Avanquest Software (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)