I was surprised to find this large box contained two DVDs and a lot of air.

The program installed easily. The second disk has lots of graphics and 1000 extra fonts. I use a few favourite fonts and cannot believe anyone needs another 1000.

Published on 28 Jun 2012 by Paul Stewart

3.0 out of 5 stars Close, but no cigar
Published on 27 Sep 2010 by D. Moller

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Close, but no cigar, 27 Sep 2010
D. Moller (Copenhagen) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scrapbook Factory Deluxe 5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
This is not a bad product at all. It does allow you to make nice scrapbook like pages, and it does contain a lot of really nice graphics. It has a really staggering amount of different projects, however, as with everything else in the program: some of it is really, really top class and nice, and most of it almost, but not completely suck. It has some really nice backgrounds, and some really nice items to add, but most of the items are bad clip-art, like the first versions of windows. It has some nice effect features, like changing hues, and creating an instant sepia.. but it could easily have had other features, like embossing, inking, auto-matting, tearing and the like. And there are SO many little errors. I hope future software updates will fix it, but somehow, the program doesn't seem quite finished. Like, when you save as a jpg, it sometimes leaves half of your picture black, when you drag in graphics unto your project from the sidebar, it almost always ad the graphic next to the one you wanted. It also crashes my really sturdy gaming computer if I ad more than 3 large pictures a page.
It's a shame, it does have the potential of a really great software

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for making cards and calendars, will pay for itself very quickly., 28 Jun 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was surprised to find this large box contained two DVDs and a lot of air.

Of the projects I tried, my favourite was the calendar. I have made calendars for all of my family, with photographs of other family members on them.

Our parents were very pleased indeed.

Bespoke birthday cards are also great. I object to paying the ridiculous prices greeting cards shops charge. By using this software, the initial cost will be recovered in less than a year just for birthday cards.

For Christmas, I will be producing a card with winter scenes of our rural village..

Some elements of the software are 'a bit clunky' hence 4* but it was very nearly 5*

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for teenagers, 23 Dec 2011
A. Gothorp - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An ok piece of software which is good as long as you are a child or in your teens. However, if you are used to using software such as Adobe Photoshop you will be a little disappointed with this. Some of the images to add to your pics are just like basic clip-art pictures and if you try to do too much with the software it will crash your computer. Like I say good for the children but if this wants to be a serious piece of software then it needs to grow up a little, have some bugs fixed and.....provide some instructions please!

4.0 out of 5 stars worth getting, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: Scrapbook Factory Deluxe 5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
nice software tool where you can put things together fairly quickly and it looks ok. Some of the template designs are a bit tacky but you don't have to use them, there are hundreds of assets you can use to put together your own designs in a better way if you wish. Ability to save as jpg or pdf means you can also edit in other software later if you need to. Appreciate the british sizes as previous versions I had were US and you always had to alter it, this version is much better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product for the dedicated crafter..., 7 May 2011
K. A. R. Wright "Ha Tikvah" (N. Ireland U.K.) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having read some of the other reviews I have to say I was debating whether to bother with this product or not, but am now so glad I did so.

I found this to be a superb product for the price. It is SO packed with elements it's hard to know where to begin reviewing any particular portion of it. So I'll start where we all start - opening the box and like others before me, was shocked at the wanton waste - absolutely NO need for a box - all the info could easily have been provided in a good DVD case. Installation, as others mentioned, is really easy and I doubt anyone will have problems with this side of things. However, I have to admit everything gets a bit "cluggy" after that point, primarily because there's so much to look at and play about with, it's almost overwhelming. And while I normally rarely look at manuals, I found myself constantly having to do so with this program just to find out some of the most basic info sometimes. I loved the fact that it features an "Office" style ribbon menu system right down to the big button in the top left that allows you to access all the other menu items (Print, Save as, etc).

Amazon have already provided a superb list above, of most of the things you can undertake with the program so I won't waste time going into all of those. As I wanted to use the program for card making purposes, I started off with the templates and ran into my first problem. I make almost all my cards nowadays in 5 x 5" square size and was surprised to find the program didn't have *any* square sizes amongst any of its templates for any purpose - quite odd in these days where many are even taking the humble square card up to crazy 10 x 10"++ sizes. So I opted instead for the more standard A5 size.

It takes time to figure out where to click to find what you want as you have 2 menu options for this purpose - on each side of the screen. One will provide you the means of pulling in elements (digital ribbons, brads, stickers, etc), changing fonts & colours, and has a gallery of some of the most extensive WordArt features available anywhere (beats Office by a long chalk!!). The other provides the means to let you add much more into the project - from CDs, scanner, or your own folder locations, and this is how you have to access the Bonus Cd which I also found irritating - there are indeed NO instructions on what to do with this, so here's the gen: While in the program, put the CD in, then go to the left menu, click on Add items, select Add Graphic from Library - this opens up a new window which will most likely start off in the default SB5 folder. Look up in the very top left and you'll see a "Browse from..." Click on that, select your DVD drive, and wait a few moments for it to access the drive - you should then see the 2 folders; select the Bonus graphics one and away you go. One bone of contention is that, for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to access the fonts as well. Even when I had text highlighted in the project, I just couldn't find anything that talked about how to access them off the CD, and nothing in the Help either :(

Some others here have commented on how you can't save images as JPEGs or otherwise have them to use in other programs etc - actually you can, it's just that SB5 don't make it easy for you to do so. You first have to import them into your project, then right click, select Export Image to.... and then you can save it as a JPEG, BMP etc and choose the Save location also. Thus you could basically save the entire disk that way but you'd be a few years in doing so, given the inordinate wealth of graphics they're providing you. Some elements though won't have that facility but a tremendous volume do.

Again, the quality of the graphics comes down to personal choice - yes, there are some rather poor quality ones in there, but some may find them nice for all that. On the flip side there are many, MANY more superb ones, many totally original, and lots of photos as well. Everything that you import is resizable - a huge bonus as oftentimes in other programs you'll find certain images pixelate if you attempt to increase their size, but not these.

To be honest, if I really tried to fully review this product here, it would take about 3-4 A4 pages which I doubt anyone wants to wade through. There's just SO much in this product it's absolutely worth every penny if you're a newbie to paper crafting of any kind and want to build up a library, & even more so if you're a scrapper (any level). Read through all the info and reviews on this page which will give you a good picture of all the aspects, but the best thing is to buy it and try it - I can promise you won't be disappointed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most complete Scrapbook software!, 7 May 2011
A. Kwabula (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the most complete scrapbook software I have used. It comes in two (possibly, dual layer) DVDs, one is the installation disc with design tools on it, the second is a bonus disc with extra graphic images (over 70, 000) and over a thousand fonts. You can easily install fonts by copying font files (not the folder) to the font's directory accessible from control panel's "appearance and personalisation". You click on 'fonts' to open it and then copy and paste your fonts into it. From then on, all these fonts will be available from within Scrapbook Factory. The extra graphics can also be copied to a folder that you can navigate to from your design project when you want to add a graphic image. They are categorised so it's easier to find what is appropriate to your design.

You have a choice whether to start a design from a blank page or customising a template. Either way, you have an array of resources such as background images, embellishments, a vast number of pre-made text objects, pre-made borders and so on. This software is comprehensive because there is very little you cannot do with it and so much you can do such as: Calendars (daily, weekly, monthly and yearly), cards (several design possibilities), photobooks, family trees, magazine covers and so on. The program has tutorials from the help menu.

Memories on TV is another program included. When you instal the program it aslks you if you want to instal the extra 'Memories On Tv' program from the installation menu. This allws you to create slideshows that can be burned to DVD within the program. Ther dvd is viewable using your standard DVD player.

While other Scrapbook software may require you to buy extra design packages, Scrapbook Factory will give you more than you need in the one package. One Reviewer made a remark about the software being over-packaged. I think it's true because it took some effort to unwrap it. I actually thought it was in DVD covers given the size of the pack only to find the two (2) DVDs are in disc envelopes and stapped to the floor of the inner box! Just a slim DVD pack with two disc slots would have been enough!

One thing I wasnt impressed with is the quality of menu icons on the main task bar. Most if not all the icons look blurred or rather fuzzy. Granted this does not affect the output but it's just nice for them to look good, it's easy for the eyes.

In conclusion:
This software is value for money and I highly recommended it so much that if you are to buy only one Scrapbook software, consider this complete package.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great potential - will take some practice, 16 Jun 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The packaging is very slick, very glossy, very American. And a total waste. Lots of gushing and perfect teeth on the cardboard, precious little instructions, and there's only two little discs to send out, so once you've wrestled off all the plastic, you're feeling a bit miffed. The installation process isn't that awful, though, which makes you feel more hopeful. I was glad I could select the European options in paper sizing and language. The main disc was installed quite speedily - but when I went to install the 'bonus' content on the second disc, I was left scratching my head. I checked the program's 'manual,' I browsed the help section, went through the glossary, but the most relevant info I could find was filed neatly under 'problems with installation,' and it gave me the very helpful directions to 'install content on the bonus disc' in order to expand my font and graphics options. Well, great. But how? They didn't bother to tell you. Eventually I tried copying/pasting the individual files from the supplied folders on disc 2 directly into the folders of the installed content on my hard drive, and I managed to get a few extra fonts to show up on the font list on the right of the main interface, but when I tried to edit the font in the main font window, it reverted to just the pre-installed options. So, for the life of me, I have no idea how to access the extra content. Yes, I'm thick and I can't blame the program for that, but it'd be nice if they catered for people like me who come from a long and venerable line of technophobic thickies.

The thing is, though, you have such an overwhelming variety of options to choose from, in terms of fonts and graphics, that it'll be a long time before you actually need the bonus material, if ever, anyway. For the sake of completeness (and personal greed) it niggled a bit not to have it, but I still had more options available than I could properly explore without getting a bit dizzy. Seems like my laptop shared a bit of that vertigo as it froze up on me when I tried to open a second document and edit it. It's relatively new and has a good bit of memory so I'm assuming the program is something of a resource hog. This isn't surprising, though, when you look at the very generous features the program supplies in terms of editing your images. I couldn't believe that you had such advanced options as cloning areas to remove flaws and blending/blurring. You basically get a lot of the most valuable elements of Photoshop at a snip of the PS asking price. So that takes the software from 3 stars to 4 stars, for me. If you've never used Photoshop then I'm not sure how you'll get along with just the help index for guidance, but the tools are quite intuitive and fun just for playing around with!

After exploring and letting my inner kid futter around for a while, I decided to have a go at a few actual scrapbook pages. There's quite a bit of naff material to wade through, but enough hidden gems in there to keep you sifting through. I found some lovely backgrounds and very stylish embellishments, and I'd say that there's enough good content to give you plenty of tasteful options for an entire 20-30 page book. It's very easy to integrate your own images into the pages - I just wish the font editor was as straightforward. It's a bit of a capricious git all round and it won't always cooperate when you want to edit the size or stretch the text or use some of the more advanced bells and whistles. Maybe with a bit more practice I'll nail it, though. There's so much to explore in the software that I'm going to persevere because I have an inkling that I may be able to produce a pretty fetching scrapbook with some work. It may take me about a year, but there's fun to be had just experimenting. If you're more familiar with scrapbooking software then no doubt you'll pick it up a lot quicker.

All in all, I think this is a very generous package with fantastic photo editing options and plenty of very artistic material to give you a wide range of options in putting together a scrapbook, birthday card, party invitations or even a journal. For the price, it's hard to fault it.

3.0 out of 5 stars scrapbook factory deluxe 5, 23 Feb 2011
This review is from: Scrapbook Factory Deluxe 5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Very easy to use, and good to work with.
However it's very American in style.
I brought it to start a journal, well it's not
good for that. The journal pages they have take
ages to load once you have ten or more pages in your journal.
It's really meant to make up a journal page for that day
and then print it out. That's not what I want to do.
There are lots of images to use and play with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Scrapbook Factory Deluxe 5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I have used scrapbook for a good few years this update is so easy to use and the graphics are brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrapbook Factory Deluxe 5(PC), 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Scrapbook Factory Deluxe 5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
This is so full of templates and embellishments that one is never stuck for ideas.
I would recommend it to any scrap booker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Scrapbook Factory Deluxe 5 (PC)
Scrapbook Factory Deluxe 5 (PC) by Avanquest Software (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)