4.0 out of 5 stars Great start in Spanish
I bought this because my daughter has just started secondary school and will now be learning Spanish along with the usual French. I studied Spanish to A level and want to revise what I can remember. This software is perfect for both my daughter who is a beginner, and for me wanting to dig out all those lovely memories of this beautiful language.

I have other...
Published on 13 Oct 2010 by Louise E

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad
Published on 22 Aug 2011 by Kris

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great start in Spanish, 13 Oct 2010
This review is from: Berlitz Spanish Premier Version 2 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)

I have other Berlitz software so I am familiar with the format. This updated version has many improvements that make it easier to use. It does take a while to get used to the format of it but once you get the hang of it, you'll love it. Thr flashcards are the best thing about it (as well as the CDs you can play in the car, and the MP3 files you can put on your ipod). If you only have 10 minutes to spare you can just go through a few flashcards.

I had absolutely no difficulty loading or operating the software. The only thing I did do, was to remove the screensaver (of key phrases etc) simply because my computer is a few years old now and it would take a couple of minutes to stop the screensaver each time I wanted to get back on the Pc. But apart from this small point, I would recommend this software.

1.0 out of 5 stars Expat, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Berlitz Spanish Premier Version 2 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Please do not waste your time or money on this product. Berlitz have informed me that the New Version 2 can not be used as it is out of date.The unwanted Audio cd's work. The Installation DVD installed on computer, read index of all the items that can not be used.Berlitz Spanish Premier Version 2 (PC/Mac)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad, 22 Aug 2011
Kris (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is definitely a case of you get what you pay for. Being one of the cheapest on the market, I wasn't expected to be dazzled by graphics and blown away by the ease in learning a new language, and that was a good job because this product certainly doesn't do that. However, what it does do is give you an understanding of the language. In my opinion, I think some of the phrases and words given are slightly unnecessary, and personally I would have much rather learned that which I would need in a Spanish speaking community.

The program works on repetition and you are forced to perfect a word or phrase several times if you get it wrong before you move on to the next. This is quite tedious but at the same time it does encourage you to get it right and it sticks in the mind after numerous pronunciations. The one thing to note is that the audio is pretty poor quality: you can understand clearly enough but in my opinion you would expect this to be crystal clear.

The software implements learning exercises with fun games which does encourage you to continue. The games do repeat themselves but this is standard of any similar program. It also comes with additional CDs to listen to in the car which are useful but at the same time I can't help but think they will go unused.

I can't comment on how it runs on Mac but I have it running on Windows 7 with few issues, although it does occasionally freeze up or lag. I may be slightly biased in my review as I have used a well known language training software in the past, but with this you have to bear in mind what you have paid to begin with. I don't think anyone can knock a basic knowledge of a language for less than 20.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Berlitz Spanish Premier Version 2 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this software. With alternate packages like Rosetta costing hundreds, 10 seemed a bargain. As you'd expect it's a more basic package but still good. The video sections are quite clumsy and hard to navigate. And the explanation sections for grammar, gender etc. are just plain 'help' text files. The power of this software lies in the flash cards and testing which are very good. Simple good old fashioned drill learning. You can test against reading, listening and writing in Spanish and English. The 'stale' list allows you to refresh any words you've not viewed in a while. NOTE: For some strange reason you can only type if keyboard is set to US in control panel! As an added bonus there are four audio CDs with around 2 hours in total that are great for listening to in the car.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 17 Aug 2011
The Emperor (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was quite impressed with this product.
It is easy to use and comes with a very comprehensive manual.
Though maybe it would have been nice to have a short Spanish guide book as well.

The speech analysis is very good. It seems very accurate and there is a great feature where you can just listen to part of a word.

The exercises and tests are decent as well.
I found it to be very straightforward to use. It does say that it is suitable for all levels but I really wouldn't have thought that it would be any good for an advanced user.

4.0 out of 5 stars Valio la pena, 15 Aug 2011
SuPeRsOnIc - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I only took French at school so I was a bit dubious as to how effective these language CDs would be. I think that if you want to learn spanish, then this is is definitely worth it. The software is fairly user friendly and the included flashcards are a massive help if you keep using them. This may not be the case for everyone, but for myself, repetition works wonders. There is sufficient material to keep you going for quite a while.

I quite like the games/puzzle feature. I find it is fun and a great way to reinforce what you have learnt.

The only negative which has nothing to do with the software is that I can't use the program too much because I start getting a headache, so I prefer doing short periods.

I really would recommend this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't let me put you off...., 12 Aug 2010
This review is from: Berlitz Spanish Premier Version 2 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
After some initial problems with installation, I've now been using this for just over a week. It has plenty of different ways to access the core material and consolidate learning. Being a 60+, brought up on more rigid learning methods, I have found this makes it a bit scattergun in its approach, but I am sure someone more used to learning in a computer environment might well regard this as positive. For me, though, I've spent more time trying to work out where things are and a logical way to progress rather than studying the actual material, so I've learned next to nothing in that time.

For the exercises for which user typed input is required I find it frustrating that it is impossible to input direct from my own keyboard, having instead to click on individual characters on an on-screen keyboard (for which you have to find an icon to display it) via a mouse. This has resulted in consolidating my knowledge of Anglo Saxon four-letter words rather than Spanish ones.

Having said all that, there's plenty here for the money and if you're someone who is generally happy with computer-based learning then I wouldn't want to put you off trying it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Of little use., 2 Dec 2012
J. H. Sumner - See all my reviews
This review is from: Berlitz Spanish Premier Version 2 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
The first CD was helpful the remaining ones were spoken so fast I could not keep up with the lessons.

4.0 out of 5 stars European Spanish: a bit more relevant, 26 Sep 2012
Joanne K. Pilsworth (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been trying to find a Spanish course, as I wanted to refresh my rather rusty Spanish from college. The problem with teach-yourself courses is that they are all CD based, with no books of any use. Whilst I appreciate that most people have access to a computer, and a CD based course means that you can, in theory, listen as you drive, I do think a book would be useful also. By a book, I mean something a bit more than the flimsy leaflets that tend to be the norm.

However, I appreciate also that some people may like a CD based course, so, what is good about this one? It is European Spanish. This is very important, as I would imagine that most people are learning Spanish because they are going to Europe rather than South America. There are small but very important differences between the two languages, and you could end up being very embarrassed if you get it wrong.

So, if you are looking for European Spanish, in a format to revise rather than learn from scratch, this may be the right product for you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Berlitz Spanish premier, 29 April 2012
This review is from: Berlitz Spanish Premier Version 2 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I bought Berlitz Spanish Premier to learn Spanish. I was surprised that inside there were just 5 CDs and that's it. No book, no guide...nothing. Installation was easy and smooth; however sometimes unclear. I have been told to go to Berlitz website and download free booklet for the listening CD. But I prefer to have a book in front of me, so I was disappointed. I have Italian audio course made by Oxford and it is much better.
Overall 2 points out of 5 for not having a book, guide and chaotic layout.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaa1baf9c)

Berlitz Spanish Premier Version 2 (PC/Mac)
Berlitz Spanish Premier Version 2 (PC/Mac) by Avanquest Software (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
29.75