4.0 out of 5 stars Acer Aspire 5734Z
Published on 17 Sept. 2010 by randomReviewer

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars Had higher expectations after reading the positive reviews
There are some positive things about this laptop and some not so good ones.
Published on 16 May 2011 by A. B.

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Acer Aspire 5734Z, 17 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Acer Aspire 5734Z 15.6-inch HD LCD Laptop, Intel Pentium T4500, 4GB, 500GB, DVD,Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium (Electronics)
This is by no means a long term review of this product as I got this through work a week ago to replace a Toshiba Satellite Laptop and all in all I'm pretty happy with the performance. I spend a lot of time on my computer and it's rarely turned off. I do development work on it, running hefty database queries, so it needs to be reasonably high powered but above all reliable. My old Toshiba really did take some stick and it's still working now, only very slowly.
The technical specification of this laptop are very good for the price. The picture is clear and bright and the keyboard is pleasant to use. The only areas were you can see that this is made to a price are the speakers (there is only one of them and it sounds pretty poor), and the general build quality. Don't get me wrong it's not falling apart but when compared to other similar priced lower spec'd laptops the plastics are a bit cheap. My old Toshiba for instance which was probably cheaper when new is much tougher feeling and seems like it's better put together.
On the whole though it does the job very well and if you need a laptop that is around this price you're probably not going to go wrong with this one. Time will tell however just how reliable it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great all in one, 22 Nov. 2010
I recently had to buy a replacement for my old laptop and I didn't want to buy a top of the range model. The Aspire had a reasonable spec and price (the 4gb of ram and 500 gig harddisk was particularly attractive).

The performance has been excellent. I'm a developer by trade, and have several large development tools installed. There is very little noticeable slowdown between apps, even when running virtual linux machines in the background.
The hard disk is also large enough to satisfy these requirements.

The screen is large and clear. It's shiny, but this doesn't interfere with the visibility.

The Intel mobile graphics card is reasonable. While not being able to contend with intensive 3D gaming, it can deal with the top titles from 2 or 3 years ago.

My only gripes are:
1) The sound isn't great (a single speaker with little definition or volume).
2) The s and k keys on the keyboard pop out on occasion (though this may be a defect with my unit).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quick Laptop, 9 Oct. 2010
Very good Laptop with fast CPU, 4 GB Memory and huge 500Gb Hard disk which is why I chose it. With this lot Windows 7 loads Word 2007 in 4-5 seconds and closes down from Windows in approx 6 secs - how quick is that for the price!

Two minor grousies - power input into PC is loose and can come out easily. Secondly, would have preferred a deeper keyboard to be able to rest my wrists on!

Apart from these slight negatives, I enjoy using this laptop - the setting up of the Wireless connection printer and internet through the PC is unbelievable simple and fast. Boy have things changed in the past 5 years!

If you purchase this laptop which I do recommend - enjoy, as much as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars great laptop, 6 Sept. 2010
I can only praise this product and recommend it without reservation. NO faults. Really fast, great storage and incredibly good value for the price. Only trouble is all the family want to use it too because it's so good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good laptop, bad audio, 14 Dec. 2010
I bought this laptop as a replacement for my Samsung R700 which was a superb piece of kit.
The Acer does everything it is supposed to with one exception, the audio is abysmal!
It has one tiny little speaker on the left hand side that has no redeeming qualities at all.
It is therefore impossible to use the multimedia capabilities of this laptop.
Acer, if you read this review, get in touch as I want some compensation for the external speakers I had to buy, and there seems to be no way to get in touch with you!
A good laptop with this one big caveat, and as such, I can only say avoid at all costs.Acer Aspire 5734Z 15.6-inch HD LCD Notebook, Intel Pentium T4500, 4GB, 500GB, DVD,Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Notebook, 1 Dec. 2010
This review is going to be short and sweet.

I bought this notebook PC for my son who has just started college. It is a well-specified machine for the price. It took probably 15 minutes to set up for the first time but that was achieved easily because of good on-screen instructions. Since then the notebook has performed flawlessly and has done everything my son wanted it to. If you are looking for a good quality, well spec'd notebook suitable for a student then you should consider this. And it's good value too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Acer laptop review, 4 Dec. 2010
£374 for a dual core 64 bit, 4GB Ram 500GB Hard drive + webcam is pretty good.
The screen size is just right, the plastic casing could be a little more robust looking,it's got just the one speaker but for £374 it's top notch bargain and spec. You can't go wrong with this one :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Acer Aspire Laptop, 5 Dec. 2010
The Acer aspire laptop is a good quality product, it runs fast, and does everything that i need. The picture quality sometimes can be a bit blurry, but normally very good, the speakers on the laptop dont go as loud as i thought but i mainly use headphones with the laptop and it seems much louder that way. Overall i like this laptop alot, and would recommend it to others in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Had higher expectations after reading the positive reviews, 16 May 2011
A. B. (Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
There are some positive things about this laptop and some not so good ones.
The best thing is probably that it plays all my discs and DVDs, even those that some DVD players don't want to play. The screen quality is really good and in HD. But, like others mentioned before, the speakers are of an awful quality. As soon as the laptop makes a slight buzzing noice, you cannot hear anything. I use a pair of old headphones I still had and with those the sound quality is excellent (though not much use if more than 1 person wants to watch the dvd).
The longest I have used the laptop without cable is 2.5 hours but that was mostly on stand by. When I played dvds, I never managed to watch a complete film, not even with a fully charged battery.
I noticed that the mains cable comes off very easily, numerous times when I had the laptop on my lap, the cable came out without me noticing.
It has a decent size keybored, useful if you don't have tiny hands!
I am a bit disappointed with the speed, the processor is clearly not the best, the laptop is not that much faster than my 5 year old PC, and I don't do much with it at the moment apart from watching my DVDs and go on FB, Ebay etc.
Also, I really don't like Windows 7 Home Premium, it's not user friendly and very, very basic. Actually, it's not free software at all, after 3 month you have to purchase it! But don't bother, it's rubbish! I had it removed and Windows 7 Professionals installed instead which is much better.
I also find downloading photos from my mobile is a real hassle, it won't accept the installation disc from my mobile phone, I never had difficulties on any other PC before. And since I had my mew software, it has not been a problem any more.
The webcam is also not very good, sometimes it's not working when I skype.
I don't do any games at all, so I cannot comment on it's suitability for that.
Overall, with my new software, I use it a lot, for pleasure and work and it serves me well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ace machine, 9 Dec. 2010
Having waited for 2 weeks and numerous emails to Amazon (i think the problem was with the carrier)the computer turned up.Very well packed-no damage and having charged the battery was ready to go.Turned the machine on and set up and connected to my wireless system-took all of ten minutes-fantastic.Having used this Acer for a couple of weeks now the more i use it the more i like it.All my computers have been Acers but this model is the best by far-Ace machine.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›