4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect pop...
Published on 1 Mar 2002 by Damien Boyd

3.0 out of 5 stars Mirage by Fleetwood Mac
Being a pretty big fan of Fleetwood Mac I was, to be honest, slightlydisappointed with this album. The highlight is Gypsy, an upbeat song withinteresting harmony (listen to a clip on this site), and indeed the betteralbums on this album are those written by Stevie Nicks. LindseyBuckingham's songs are perhaps a bit too weird and experimental, movingaway from the typical...
Published on 28 April 2004 by E. Goodall

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect pop..., 1 Mar 2002
Damien Boyd - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
For me this album is Rumours part 2. Thats not to say it sounds anything like "Rumours" but more where "Rumours" left off. In its time it had a fair number of hit singles ("Hold me", "Gypsy", "Oh Diane") and made Fleetwood Mac popular again after the public rejection of "Tusk". To add to the wonderfully romantic hit singles are some of the Fleets greatest works...check out the wonderously slow build up in "Only over you", the guitar riff on "Eyes of the world" and the crazy beat of "Empire State"..
They were so near to making the perfect pop album...
Still, 4 stars is not bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Polished, 16 Oct 2005
John Heaton (Budapest, Hungary) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
This album holds a slightly weird place in Fleetwood Mac's history. The classic line up is there so that at least guarantees it is better than any post Buckingham or post Nicks album which followed. But compared to 'Say You Will' being such a fine return to form, post Christine McVie (!!) it struggles to compete for the most part. Because it seems to me at least that the band were going through the motions somewhat....there are several fine moments here for sure but any great sense of daring or adventure as witnessed on Tusk (1979) is lacking. This is a safe record. Almost deliberately commercial after the wounding insults levelled at Tusk, this album is easy on the ear, if not exactly Easy Listening. But Rumours (1977) was also commercial, and considerably better than this.
Of course by most people's standards this is a fine album. We have after all the superb Gypsy from Stevie Nicks, the effortless single Oh Diane from Buckingham and at least one classic from Christine McVie in the closing number 'Wish You Were Here'. 'Hold Me' is catchy and inoffensive without achieving anything approaching classic status. 'Eyes Of the World' is compulsive Buckingham in the style he so ably demonstrated on Tusk. The rest is filler for the most part, enyoyable filler I admit at times ('Can't Go Back', 'That's Alright', 'Empire State') but the Stevie Nicks track 'Straight Back' is hardly worthy of a Nicks solo effort.
So this is The Mac treading water. They could still swim but were not making many waves with this. Compared to their best work at least. If halves were allowed then this would be 3,5 max. But as they are not, I will give it four, as my expectations are ridiculously high when I think of what they are capable of. I still play this album quite often after all so it is not an irrelevance by any means!

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly my favourite Fleetwood Mac album., 30 May 2013
Michael Smith ""SAY HELLO TO GOOD TIMES"" (Norfolk, UK, in a little village named Crimplesham...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
I am not entirely sure what it is about this album that I love so much. Rumours is a real classic, Tusk is pure energy, and another favourite, and the self titled effort from 1975 is sublime. In all honesty, I rate these three albums an astonishing 10/10. Like the majority of the works by The Beatles, these are genuine masterpieces, and personal tastes aside, there is not one thing I could ever change about these albums. Fleetwood Mac (1975) continues the sound Buckingham and Nicks started on, well, there lost classic Buckingham Nicks, with the additional talents of the great Fleetwood Mac to boost their appeal. Rumours especially is that rare thing: a multi million selling pop behemoth worth its weight in gold, and so worth all the hype heaped upon it. And Tusk...good grief...I love all 20 songs, and the artwork on the vinyl is stunning.

So what about Mirage? I held back for a long time from buying this. I heard it was "bland". I couldn't disagree more! Yes, its soft and squishy. Its the fluffy pillow to Rumours velvet cushion. I absolutely love it for that very reason! You cry in the arms of Rumours. You giggle and hug Mirage. Every song soothes me, and late at night, to help me wind down, I play Mirage and all feels right in the world.

Love in Store: its a lovely, lovely opener. I prefer it as an opening track over Rumours Second Hand News. Lovely harmonies. 8/10

Can't Go Back: a refreshing change of pace to the work he did on Tusk, this Lindsey Buckingham track puts me in mind of some of his earlier work on the Buckingham Nicks album (another 10/10- a genuine flawless work of art), and Fleetwood Mac (1975). 8/10

That's Alright: genuine classic Stevie. Not much I can say about this track, but I love this song. 7.5/10

Book of Love: most underrated Lindsey Buckingham song ever? It sounds so quirky, and also playful. I love the chorus, the production, the vocals, the lyrics...man...possibly my second favourite on the album! 9/10

Gypsy: one flaw: why on earth did nobody think to put on the extended version released on The Chain box set? Never mind, it doesn't take away from my personal enjoyment of the album, and this is still my favourite song on Mirage. Stevie Nicks writes the most magical songs, and Gypsy is classic Stevie, alongside Silver Springs, Landslide, Dreams, Beautiful Child, Rooms On Fire and Stand Back. I love this song. Her performance of this delightful track on The Dance DVD is truly breathtaking. Her vocals also put me in mind of the great Edith Piaf. 10/10

Only Over You: not my favourite Christine McVie track, nevertheless I love how this soft song follows the epic nature of Stevies Gypsy. The way the track order runs on this album is superb, and this is an excellent example of why. As part of the album, I could not be without this song. Oh, and McVie's vocals in the chorus are so soothing, I am sure when I play this album I fall asleep to this track. That is a good thing. 8/10

Empire State: man, this track is weird. Not as good as Book Of Love, but its strange sound puts me in mind of circuses and funfairs, and I can imagine watching a clown perform to this song while I nibble on candyfloss. Seriously surreal, but that is why I love Lindsey Buckingham. 7/10

Straight Back: I love Stevie's vocals. Not her strongest track on the album, but then again up against Gypsy, every song on Mirage is a loser (in comparison). 8/10

Hold Me: ooh...this is the kind of song Christine McVie would write for Tango In The Night. Think of Everywhere, Little Lies etc. Its decent. Not a favourite. 6/10

Oh Diane: this is strange. Played away from this album, I struggle to appreciate it. As part of the Mirage listening experience, it is essential and I love it! So an odd mixture of either 4/10 or 7.5/10, depending on the context. One of Buckingham's sweetest songs, perhaps too sweet for some tastes (although I love the fact it reminds me of the 50's).

Eyes Of The World: well, Buckingham continues to keep things bizarre. His songs are softer around the edges than the ones he created for Tusk, but that works to this albums advantage. More in keeping with Empire State than Book Of Love, nevertheless I enjoy this song immensely. 7/10

Wish You Were Here: slushy pop, but the kind I enjoy! Christine McVie started the album with energy, and she closes it with gentle warmth. A pretty closer, I love how it gives this album a sense of closure. 8/10

So, whilst I admit Rumours is perfect on a song by song basis (nothing less than 9/10); Tusk is a genius clash of styles and genres (20 tracks ranging from great to masterful) and Fleetwood Mac had an air of excitement and a continuation of the style found on Buckingham Nicks (one of my all time favourite albums), I find Mirage to be the one album I enjoy listening to most in one sitting. Its simple, the songs blend cohesively as a work of art, and every track has this wonderful, otherworldy feel. I cannot explain it, but its a blend of childhood fantasy and adult realism. It is a personal favourite in my collection, and greater as a whole than the sum of its parts suggests. Although I have my personal favourites, I love every minute of Mirage, and wouldn't have it any other way.

10/10. (Yes, the average would work out different, but as a whole I find nothing flawed. I need Mirage just the way it is, as I do Tusk, Born To Run (Bruce Springsteen), The Beatles, Karmacode (Lacuna Coil), and Clarity (Jimmy Eat World). A real, firm favourite in my collection of over 300 albums across a very wide span of musical genres (prog, jazz, punk, metal, pop, classical, hard rock, classic rock, folk, rnb, R.E.M.).

4.0 out of 5 stars Mirage, 17 April 2010
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
Being a huge Fleetwood Mac, this album slightly disappoints. By far, the best song is the fabby Gypsy by the fantastic Stevie Nicks. However, their live Mirage Tour was one of their very best and if they could have made a DVD out of it, it would have been a best seller. That saying, a worthwhile addition to any Fleetwood Mac collectables.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
I love this album its a easy to listen to and some of their best songs on it. I have not seen since the 1980's so i quickly ordered it cant fault one bit

5.0 out of 5 stars "Mirage" is no mere Mirage of Reflection Perfection., 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
Of all the eight major Fleetwood Macs albums recognisably Fleetwood Mac (i.e nothing before the all-important 1975 acquisition of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks), excluding the virtually redundant 1995 album "Time", on which time should probably have been called, nothing truly encompasses perfection to me as the twelve illustrious tunes sparkling on this record like jewels. Many seem underwhelemed, if not flat out exasperated by the more radio-friendly fluidity of this piece, but I couldn't defend it more for that very reason. After all, just because an act prefers to bow to commercial to favour, it's never a slave to the easy route if they don't completely compromise their artistic vision, and with each of the three main players delivering not one lacking tune, it's clearly their most consistent effort. This was actually the album of theirs I got last, so unlike all the rest, it was the one whose ditties I was utterly unfamiliar with, despite the three singles included on their 1988 best of. And I was utterly captivated.

Their 1975 eponymous album-first as a proper unit was a little dull, displaying little of the effrontery they emblazoned so perfectly on "Rumours" but even that album wasn't perfect; no it really wasn't. It left of 'Silver Springs' as a necessary cut, instead including the almost stagnating 'I Don't Want To Know'-and worse, the utterly unpleasant 'You Make Loving Fun' which boasts the most wretched ill-bred marriage of McVie's perky saccharine sludge at it's very worst to the most mundane and stiff instrumentation both she and Lindsey were ever guilty of, and she couldn't have sung a song more lifelessly or ineffectively if she half tried it. "Tusk" was brave, but some of the songs uneasy descent into folk and country over straight rock blithely date it, and even "Tango In The Night" that followed this held a few tunes (title track, 'Family Man', 'When I See You Again') needed extensive playing to get into, and "Behind The Mask" necessarily suffered from this worse following Lindsey's absence, whereupon their last 'Say You Will' built it up again high, but still falls short of this-their best record of all.

Tipping hats to the commercial wheel of easy-play or not, there are songs on here that could still be done by no other band, and Lindsey's delightfully whacky 'Empire State', dramatic 'Book Of Love' and driving 'Eyes Of The World' stand out as defiantly individual as anything on past albums, and more immediate. Stevie delivers three tunes and each wickedly different from the other; the jaunty country-swing of 'That's Alright', Greek-sounding epic mystery of 'Straight Back' and the timeless 'Gypsy'-the last two both exhibiting that air of fantasy encapsulates so freely into her works, especially with 'Straight Back'-which rather points towards the beautiful synth-based swathes of fables stamped all over her 'The Wild Heart' solo offering that followed this album. But it's Christine who impresses me most, as the weakest member of the Mac due to her blandly indifferent country/blues style that litters most Mac albums-she proved she could knock out excellent and lively pop tunes on "Tango In The Night" and this proves without a doubt the 80s was her best decade, as the increased use of synthesisers that decade showed, and either way, 'Love In Store' (insanely, like Lindsey's 1975 album opener 'Monday Morning') not picked for a single in the UK), 'Only Over You' and closing 'Wish You Were Here'-plus the single 'Hold Me' exemplifies that, all being instantly memorable, haunting, lush and rather beautiful-and, well, alive, the 80s have made her come alive!

Some credit must also go to the new idea of incorporating additional songwriting help from "Tusk"s co-producer Richard Dashut (both he and Ken Caillat, along with Lindsey co-produced this album again too, which should really lease "Tusk" fans if they give this record a chance) and Christine also used several other names for necessary aid, Stevie alone, needed no help, though she certainly does these days, her last album "In Your Dreams" being the most abominable load of tripe she ever put her name to. The singles from the album were all correct and charming, with the much maligned but pleasing 'Oh Diane' becoming Top 10 in the UK, and far more deserving of it than that 'Tusk' tune, but 'Can't Go Back' remains his most underrated single ever, and has yet to find itself on any compilation, despite doing better in the UK than 'Hold Me'-though that got released, but both still flopped anyway, but as their vision and embodiment as a band is far more eclectic and challenging than fluff like The Bee Gees, widely fluctuating chart positions across all their albums shouldn't be surprising anyway. All in all, a wonderful album, one of 1982's top releases, and not least cos we lost Abba that year, a devastating blow to anyone, but in itself a truly great album that all should be proud of, nothing too long, even from Stevie, and an all-round hitter, and for me their best album ever-all their others achieve generally very good certainly, but this achieved the lot, proving as beautifully shimmering as its title would suggest, but without the notion of refraction by hot air! Now all we need is for the 2 disc deluxe treatment that "Tango In The Night", and this especially, so truly deserve, and would that Mirage be on the horizon by any chance, Warner Bros?

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Mac!, 9 Mar 2013
Neil Cockburn "Teacher582" (Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
This was one album that I didn't have in my collection. Glad that I bought it, I'm more than pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars grows on you, 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
Played this for the first time and it wasn't what I expected. It seemed a bit too pop-py and lacking in the quality of the lyrics. However it's definitely growing on me and I'm sure I'll end up appreciating it almost as much as all Fleetwood Mac's other stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Golden oldie, 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
I first purchased this not long after its issue in 1982, and some of its tracks now seem dated. Also, the production quality is variable and probably not what you'd expect today. However, it still has a freshness and vitality that I remember from then. It is not without reason that as many of the tracks from this album are featured on FM 'greatest hits' compilations as from the more celebrated 'Rumours' that preceded it. Definitely a classic of the period.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rumours is great. So is this, but they're different!, 23 April 2004
Nicholas Tier "nuck_the_king" (Danehill, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
I love this album. I have only given it 4 stars because a) it has the dreadful "Oh Diane" on it, which was the only Fleetwood Mac song on the jukebox when I was at school, and b) because "Empire State" is just too weird....
Apart from that, it is a real peach. The opening 3 songs are wonderful, with "That's Alright" one of the most beautiful songs ever written about breaking up; no anger, no hate, just the hope that the other person in the relationship will "find a love, your own designs of love; that's alright". It always makes me cry; no-one was ever so kind when they dumped me!
"Gypsy" is simply one of the most beautiful songs that Stevie Nicks has ever written; and certainly as incomprehensible as anyone could expect. "Hold Me" is a soaring, wistful joy, and "Wish You Were Here" (nothing to do with Pink Floyd) is gently stunning.
This album always seems to be a thought of as a slightly second-rate follow-up to Rumours (quite rightly ignoring the slight aberration that was "Tusk" in between the two albums); but I think that this is strong enough to stand on its own. Go on, buy it: I guarantee that at least four of the songs will be inside your head for good within three listenings.....

ARRAY(0xab49b744)