4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect pop...
Published on 1 Mar 2002 by Damien Boyd

3.0 out of 5 stars Mirage by Fleetwood Mac
Published on 28 April 2004 by E. Goodall

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect pop..., 1 Mar 2002
Damien Boyd - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
For me this album is Rumours part 2. Thats not to say it sounds anything like "Rumours" but more where "Rumours" left off. In its time it had a fair number of hit singles ("Hold me", "Gypsy", "Oh Diane") and made Fleetwood Mac popular again after the public rejection of "Tusk". To add to the wonderfully romantic hit singles are some of the Fleets greatest works...check out the wonderously slow build up in "Only over you", the guitar riff on "Eyes of the world" and the crazy beat of "Empire State"..
They were so near to making the perfect pop album...
Still, 4 stars is not bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Polished, 16 Oct 2005
John Heaton (Budapest, Hungary) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
This album holds a slightly weird place in Fleetwood Mac's history. The classic line up is there so that at least guarantees it is better than any post Buckingham or post Nicks album which followed. But compared to 'Say You Will' being such a fine return to form, post Christine McVie (!!) it struggles to compete for the most part. Because it seems to me at least that the band were going through the motions somewhat....there are several fine moments here for sure but any great sense of daring or adventure as witnessed on Tusk (1979) is lacking. This is a safe record. Almost deliberately commercial after the wounding insults levelled at Tusk, this album is easy on the ear, if not exactly Easy Listening. But Rumours (1977) was also commercial, and considerably better than this.
Of course by most people's standards this is a fine album. We have after all the superb Gypsy from Stevie Nicks, the effortless single Oh Diane from Buckingham and at least one classic from Christine McVie in the closing number 'Wish You Were Here'. 'Hold Me' is catchy and inoffensive without achieving anything approaching classic status. 'Eyes Of the World' is compulsive Buckingham in the style he so ably demonstrated on Tusk. The rest is filler for the most part, enyoyable filler I admit at times ('Can't Go Back', 'That's Alright', 'Empire State') but the Stevie Nicks track 'Straight Back' is hardly worthy of a Nicks solo effort.
So this is The Mac treading water. They could still swim but were not making many waves with this. Compared to their best work at least. If halves were allowed then this would be 3,5 max. But as they are not, I will give it four, as my expectations are ridiculously high when I think of what they are capable of. I still play this album quite often after all so it is not an irrelevance by any means!

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly my favourite Fleetwood Mac album., 30 May 2013
Michael Smith ""SAY HELLO TO GOOD TIMES"" (Norfolk, UK, in a little village named Crimplesham...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
I am not entirely sure what it is about this album that I love so much. Rumours is a real classic, Tusk is pure energy, and another favourite, and the self titled effort from 1975 is sublime. In all honesty, I rate these three albums an astonishing 10/10. Like the majority of the works by The Beatles, these are genuine masterpieces, and personal tastes aside, there is not one thing I could ever change about these albums. Fleetwood Mac (1975) continues the sound Buckingham and Nicks started on, well, there lost classic Buckingham Nicks, with the additional talents of the great Fleetwood Mac to boost their appeal. Rumours especially is that rare thing: a multi million selling pop behemoth worth its weight in gold, and so worth all the hype heaped upon it. And Tusk...good grief...I love all 20 songs, and the artwork on the vinyl is stunning.

So what about Mirage? I held back for a long time from buying this. I heard it was "bland". I couldn't disagree more! Yes, its soft and squishy. Its the fluffy pillow to Rumours velvet cushion. I absolutely love it for that very reason! You cry in the arms of Rumours. You giggle and hug Mirage. Every song soothes me, and late at night, to help me wind down, I play Mirage and all feels right in the world.

Love in Store: its a lovely, lovely opener. I prefer it as an opening track over Rumours Second Hand News. Lovely harmonies. 8/10

Can't Go Back: a refreshing change of pace to the work he did on Tusk, this Lindsey Buckingham track puts me in mind of some of his earlier work on the Buckingham Nicks album (another 10/10- a genuine flawless work of art), and Fleetwood Mac (1975). 8/10

That's Alright: genuine classic Stevie. Not much I can say about this track, but I love this song. 7.5/10

Book of Love: most underrated Lindsey Buckingham song ever? It sounds so quirky, and also playful. I love the chorus, the production, the vocals, the lyrics...man...possibly my second favourite on the album! 9/10

Gypsy: one flaw: why on earth did nobody think to put on the extended version released on The Chain box set? Never mind, it doesn't take away from my personal enjoyment of the album, and this is still my favourite song on Mirage. Stevie Nicks writes the most magical songs, and Gypsy is classic Stevie, alongside Silver Springs, Landslide, Dreams, Beautiful Child, Rooms On Fire and Stand Back. I love this song. Her performance of this delightful track on The Dance DVD is truly breathtaking. Her vocals also put me in mind of the great Edith Piaf. 10/10

Only Over You: not my favourite Christine McVie track, nevertheless I love how this soft song follows the epic nature of Stevies Gypsy. The way the track order runs on this album is superb, and this is an excellent example of why. As part of the album, I could not be without this song. Oh, and McVie's vocals in the chorus are so soothing, I am sure when I play this album I fall asleep to this track. That is a good thing. 8/10

Empire State: man, this track is weird. Not as good as Book Of Love, but its strange sound puts me in mind of circuses and funfairs, and I can imagine watching a clown perform to this song while I nibble on candyfloss. Seriously surreal, but that is why I love Lindsey Buckingham. 7/10

Straight Back: I love Stevie's vocals. Not her strongest track on the album, but then again up against Gypsy, every song on Mirage is a loser (in comparison). 8/10

Hold Me: ooh...this is the kind of song Christine McVie would write for Tango In The Night. Think of Everywhere, Little Lies etc. Its decent. Not a favourite. 6/10

Oh Diane: this is strange. Played away from this album, I struggle to appreciate it. As part of the Mirage listening experience, it is essential and I love it! So an odd mixture of either 4/10 or 7.5/10, depending on the context. One of Buckingham's sweetest songs, perhaps too sweet for some tastes (although I love the fact it reminds me of the 50's).

Eyes Of The World: well, Buckingham continues to keep things bizarre. His songs are softer around the edges than the ones he created for Tusk, but that works to this albums advantage. More in keeping with Empire State than Book Of Love, nevertheless I enjoy this song immensely. 7/10

Wish You Were Here: slushy pop, but the kind I enjoy! Christine McVie started the album with energy, and she closes it with gentle warmth. A pretty closer, I love how it gives this album a sense of closure. 8/10

So, whilst I admit Rumours is perfect on a song by song basis (nothing less than 9/10); Tusk is a genius clash of styles and genres (20 tracks ranging from great to masterful) and Fleetwood Mac had an air of excitement and a continuation of the style found on Buckingham Nicks (one of my all time favourite albums), I find Mirage to be the one album I enjoy listening to most in one sitting. Its simple, the songs blend cohesively as a work of art, and every track has this wonderful, otherworldy feel. I cannot explain it, but its a blend of childhood fantasy and adult realism. It is a personal favourite in my collection, and greater as a whole than the sum of its parts suggests. Although I have my personal favourites, I love every minute of Mirage, and wouldn't have it any other way.

10/10. (Yes, the average would work out different, but as a whole I find nothing flawed. I need Mirage just the way it is, as I do Tusk, Born To Run (Bruce Springsteen), The Beatles, Karmacode (Lacuna Coil), and Clarity (Jimmy Eat World). A real, firm favourite in my collection of over 300 albums across a very wide span of musical genres (prog, jazz, punk, metal, pop, classical, hard rock, classic rock, folk, rnb, R.E.M.).

4.0 out of 5 stars Mirage, 17 April 2010
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
Being a huge Fleetwood Mac, this album slightly disappoints. By far, the best song is the fabby Gypsy by the fantastic Stevie Nicks. However, their live Mirage Tour was one of their very best and if they could have made a DVD out of it, it would have been a best seller. That saying, a worthwhile addition to any Fleetwood Mac collectables.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rumours is great. So is this, but they're different!, 23 April 2004
Nicholas Tier "nuck_the_king" (Danehill, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
I love this album. I have only given it 4 stars because a) it has the dreadful "Oh Diane" on it, which was the only Fleetwood Mac song on the jukebox when I was at school, and b) because "Empire State" is just too weird....
Apart from that, it is a real peach. The opening 3 songs are wonderful, with "That's Alright" one of the most beautiful songs ever written about breaking up; no anger, no hate, just the hope that the other person in the relationship will "find a love, your own designs of love; that's alright". It always makes me cry; no-one was ever so kind when they dumped me!
"Gypsy" is simply one of the most beautiful songs that Stevie Nicks has ever written; and certainly as incomprehensible as anyone could expect. "Hold Me" is a soaring, wistful joy, and "Wish You Were Here" (nothing to do with Pink Floyd) is gently stunning.
This album always seems to be a thought of as a slightly second-rate follow-up to Rumours (quite rightly ignoring the slight aberration that was "Tusk" in between the two albums); but I think that this is strong enough to stand on its own. Go on, buy it: I guarantee that at least four of the songs will be inside your head for good within three listenings.....

5.0 out of 5 stars fab, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
I love this album its a easy to listen to and some of their best songs on it. I have not seen since the 1980's so i quickly ordered it cant fault one bit

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Mac!, 9 Mar 2013
Neil Cockburn "Teacher582" (Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
This was one album that I didn't have in my collection. Glad that I bought it, I'm more than pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars grows on you, 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
Played this for the first time and it wasn't what I expected. It seemed a bit too pop-py and lacking in the quality of the lyrics. However it's definitely growing on me and I'm sure I'll end up appreciating it almost as much as all Fleetwood Mac's other stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Golden oldie, 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
I first purchased this not long after its issue in 1982, and some of its tracks now seem dated. Also, the production quality is variable and probably not what you'd expect today. However, it still has a freshness and vitality that I remember from then. It is not without reason that as many of the tracks from this album are featured on FM 'greatest hits' compilations as from the more celebrated 'Rumours' that preceded it. Definitely a classic of the period.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mirage by Fleetwood Mac, 28 April 2004
E. Goodall (SE England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirage (Audio CD)
Being a pretty big fan of Fleetwood Mac I was, to be honest, slightlydisappointed with this album. The highlight is Gypsy, an upbeat song withinteresting harmony (listen to a clip on this site), and indeed the betteralbums on this album are those written by Stevie Nicks. LindseyBuckingham's songs are perhaps a bit too weird and experimental, movingaway from the typical Mac sound. Christine McVie's songs are good butaren't particularly outstanding, except perhaps for Only Over You, whichis a catchy tune. If you're a fan of Fleetwood Mac then I don't thinkyou'll be disappointed, but it's not one of their better albums. If you'venot listened to them before (and if not, where have you been all thistime?!), try Rumours first, or you could end up dismissing one of the bestbands in the world on the basis of a good but not exceedingly good album.

Mirage