5.0 out of 5 stars Another ken burns masterpiece

Published 23 months ago by Derek J. Howl

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Another ken burns masterpiece, 22 Feb. 2013
Paulie walnuts (Farnborough , Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baseball: A Film By Ken Burns [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
An amazing documentry, starts with the usual ken burns style in the early discs but gets so much better when you get the actual film footage. I had a fondness for the game seeing it on ESPN and was lucky enough to goto Yankee stadium and Shea during visits to NYC but like any game the history helps you understand it better and now even as a Brit I get why this game is so loved by so many . This is THE baseball documentry don't even bother with anything else I loved it and will enjoy watching again and again

5.0 out of 5 stars Baseball as a form of religion, 5 May 2015
Charles Ashbacher (Marion, Iowa United States) - See all my reviews
When watching this video, there were times when I had tears in my eyes. It was wonderful to see the archive footage of some of the great names in baseball. Seeing and hearing Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson and others cannot help but stir the passion of anyone with even a passing interest in the game.
Some others who have reviewed this tape have criticized it for being centered on New York teams and for neglecting some of the teams who came from nowhere to win titles. This criticism is true, but unfounded. There were two things that dramatically changed the game and both took place in New York. The first was when Babe Ruth began hitting home runs at a pace previously unthinkable. I consider his numbers in the early years as a Yankee outfielder to be the most amazing statistics in all of sports. It is incredible that he hit more home runs than many others teams did in those seasons. Some talk negatively about the adulation given to sports stars these days, and yet none approaches the level of stardom achieved by Ruth.
The second was when Jackie Robinson joined the Brooklyn Dodgers. We celebrate Martin Luther King Day as a tribute to his struggle for civil rights. However, it can be strongly argued, and correctly in my opinion, that Jackie Robinson did more for the struggle than Dr. King did. The pressure on Robinson was enormous, at times having thousands of people screaming abuse at him. And yet he succeeded on the field, still considered by many to be the most exciting player of his generation. It is also hard to underestimate the effect this had on the American society. Many people who otherwise would have nothing to do with a black man cheered him on the field, and found at least some of their attitudes changed.
The lament of the Boston Red Sox is also a major part of the video. No one could possibly forget the Carlton Fisk home run or that slow ground ball moving through Bill Buckner's legs. I saw both live and each kept me up for hours after the event. One statement made several times in the tape that may seem frivolous is how the grass just seems greener in baseball stadiums. My personal experience backs that. The greenest, most beautiful grass I have ever seen was in Wrigley Field.
Baseball is a great game, the only major one where many of the players just don't look like athletes. Babe Ruth looked more like a bartender than an athlete as did some pitchers of the sixties and seventies. And yet they have some of the most incredible skills, as I can attest after trying to hit a ninety mile-per-hour fastball. I lived baseball in my youth, but lately the pressures of a career have led me astray. This tape brought me back to my younger days when I knew all the great players as well as their lifetime statistics. It made me something that I have rarely if ever been, nostalgic for my youth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent documentary, 12 Sept. 2012
Watched the entire series numerous times. 20s-40s is my favorite. Endless interviews, rare footage and anecdotes. Inside baseball at its best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Region 0 or Region 2?, 19 Nov. 2014
I'd really love to buy this product as it looks great and sounds very interesting.
Does anyone know of a Region 0 version available.
I appreciate that region 1 is not compatible with UK and Europe DVD players.
Thank you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shame it's only Region 1, 13 Jun. 2013
This is a series I've wanted to see for ages. UK Baseball fans get little enough of the game here on TV - and the decision (??) to make this only Region 1 makes it harder for us. There are multi region players, but to get that and NTSC/PAL players is well nigh impossible. I bought it, I cannot watch it, and I'm gutted. Who's benefit can this serve? US opera tapes (also NTSC) are always muti-region - I had hoped for the same.