on 3 September 2013
I bought this for me, but it seems to have been taken over by the kids.

You get to choose a pet cub (tiger, panther, etc.) and help them to learn about the world around them, exploring parts of a desert island, meeting new creatures, playing games, and teaching your cub tricks, while being helped by your guide (a flying lemur). It's a great game for children who like computers as it helps keep them active - they have to jump around to get the cub to do tricks and play games, in order to win medals and trophies, and find a new part of the island.
This game is aimed at children not the hardcore gamer. My 6 year old daughter loves this game and I enjoy watching her play it.

You pick a cub to play with then you go through the island. At each stage you can interact with the cub by combing, washing, stroking, cleaning, playing, teaching etc. For example you start with only a few skills and toys, but as you progress you learn more. When playing with a ball, you kick it and the cub will fetch it. You then have to try to knock down skittles, hit targets, do volleys etc, all done with a certain number to complete or time to complete it in. Doing it will earn more points and fill your progress bar. Once you get to a certain point, a new place is discovered (unlocked). You keep doing this throughout the game until you uncover all the map.

The mini games do become a little repetitive but there are variations. For instance the flying toys you have a frisbee, flying disc, hat, wheel, hoop; throwing toys a small ball, rubber chicken, cone. It is a little tricky at first but after a while you get the right force and elevation to hit the targets. The driving game your cub sits on a radio controlled car and you drive by putting your arms out and turning an imaginary steering wheel. To reverse, pull the wheel back. Simple and effective. When throwing a disc, duck down and the disc falls downwards. All nice touches that anyone can master quickly.

The cub responds to voice actions as well and it is a joy to watch the children interact with the cub and the sense of achievement they have when they complete a new trick or new game.

The animation is spot on, very realistic and very pleasing to watch. The story is linked well and you can go to any part of the map at any time. open your map and point to where you want to go. At the shop you can buy things for your house or pet. Earn money by doing good with the tricks and games.

If you are into action games, then this is definitely NOT for you. If you like cute games or have children who want to play, this is perfect.
on 23 June 2013
Very easy to navigate around and it does not take too long for it to get started which is always a bonus for all ..and dads! very interactive and keeps you jumping around throughout the whole experience of the game, or virtual pet as such. The game itself came very quickly which surprised me and the animals are a treat. I would recommend the title to any budding Zoo geologist.
on 11 January 2011
This game is just so cute it's brilliant and my 5 year old son gets so much enjoyment out of it so I highly recommend it, a big must for the little ones! Go on you know you want to buy it! :o)
on 30 December 2010
After reading the reviews, I was so excited to get this game. I even paid the extra £8 to get it the next morning, and of course cleared my schedule to give myself a couple of hours to try it out. And guess what? Kinectimals is juzt brilliant! From the word go, the cute kittens make you feel guilty for not picking all of them, and the detail when you get close to them is incredible. The creators obviously own cats too, as their mannerisms are so close to the real thing; they knead, purr and love attention! There's also a lot more to do than you might think, with mini games including remote control car racing and frisbee throwing, as well as contests which win you medals and prizes. An hour in and I'm hooked....

I'm sure this game would be great for young children, but as a 26 year old woman I cannot recommend it highly enough! My only gripe is that I wish I'd ordered the limited edition as the plush toy allows you to scan the tag which enters this new cat into the game. It'll be interesting to see what toys they bring out in 2011, and whether they'll consider other animals than cats.
Yeah well you've got to try it haven't you? A rather weird winged lemur-tinkerbell hybrid guides you round exploring an island full of baby wild animals. You get to choose a cub to adopt from a tiger, lion, leopard and black panther. You interact by throwing objects or petting the cub (only your "hands" seem to appear on screen). Your cub interacts by gamboling or leaving appreciative slobber all over your TV screen. There are terribly easy games (I scored gold on the first knock down the objects game, so given my bad aim, this will satisfy the small. The menu selection is nice and firm, the voice recording worked well (when I named my Tiger cub, "Ripper"), but I just had a little trouble doing the waving to the side to initially select my cub (this was mentioned in early reviews which seem to have been deleted). I had an uh oh moment when tinkerbell-lemur suggested we go to the "shop" to buy things for your cub, but it appears that you collect in game gold dubloons to stock up on balls and tigger-snacks. Designed for the small and the very sad it looks to be terribly wholesome fun.
on 1 February 2011
I got my xbox360 for christmas. Getting this game was the cherry on top of the icing/cake.It is great fun and always a pleasure to get into.
on 13 February 2011
this is a great game for kids and adults wortj buying. allthough sometimes the game does not respond to what you are doing.
on 8 January 2011
I'm definitely not the target audience for this title but this is what sold me Kinect after seeing it in operation. The graphics are rich and detailed, giving a visual feast. The animation is done well and looks nice. The gameplay itself is nothing taxing, as you would expect from a more child targeted game. Most of it is pretty straight forward, although to max out the awards you might need a little practice in some of them. Performing interactions unlocks more items and minigames. There is still that lure of seeing what else will come next, and I know I haven't seen everything yet! Definitely give this consideration if you have Kinect.
on 7 May 2011
This is meant to be a kid's game, yet I can't get my 30 year old husband off of it!