4.0 out of 5 stars An improvement on the first game
Published on 8 Oct 2010 by S. Reynolds

1.0 out of 5 stars Junior Brain Trainer 2 - DON'T BUY IT!
Oh dear, we bought this DS cartridge for our granddaughter's 7th birthday. The age range given on the package and supporting information is 6 to 11 years, so we assumed that the questions would be suitable for a reasonably bright 7 year old. How wrong we were.

Published on 4 July 2011 by Mandy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Junior Brain Trainer 2 - DON'T BUY IT!, 4 July 2011
This review is from: Junior Brain Trainer 2 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)

Irrespective of the age selected on the opening screen, the questions use terminology that is far beyond the understanding of most children of the lower end of the target age. For example, the first question is: "Reduce the noun phrases by dragging the words that are not needed into the correct dustbin" - the `dustbins' are labelled `determiners', `adjectives' and `other complements/objects', at least one of which is unlikely to be in the vocabulary of an average 6-year old.

In another example, where the child is asked to complete words where the first and last letters only are given, the word `c****a' could be `camera' or `cinema', but the game will not accept `camera'. This is frustrating for the child, as there is no `correct' answer, merely the answer that the program will accept.

There are further examples of activities that are badly thought out, poorly explained or ambiguous, and which lead initially to frustration and then boredom. We therefore feel that this game is not suitable for the purpose for which it is advertised, i.e. to provide mental stimulus for 6 to 11 year olds.

Don't buy it, or if you HAVE bought it, don't open it, as Amazon's returns policy does not apply to unsealed goods!

4.0 out of 5 stars An improvement on the first game, 8 Oct 2010
S. Reynolds (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Junior Brain Trainer 2 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Both my sons loved the first Junior Brain Trainer title, which turned out to be one of my best-ever DS purchases in terms of the amount of time it got played. I was sceptical that this version would be any better, or come to that matter, any different to the first, but my youngest son (now 9 years old) pestered me into buying it anyway. The format is pretty much the same as the first game, where you have to complete five educational puzzles to unlock a bonus. Only one bonus can be unlocked per day, so there is a bit of longevity here, which is a nice idea. From what I have seen (and from what my son has told me), the excercises are all different to the first version, which is a relief, and the bonuses seem a little more exciting this time around too - more minigames, and fewer books or games of hangman. The new interface is a lot nicer, and whilst the music is still annoying, it's the only critisism I can make of the game. Another great purchase to entertain and educate!

5.0 out of 5 stars Junior Brain Trainer 2 - Excellent!!, 14 April 2012
This review is from: Junior Brain Trainer 2 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Having read a critical review of Junior Brain Trainer 2, I decided against buying it. However, my son was able to do Junior Brain Trainer 1 with his eyes closed, so months after deciding against buying this particular game - i bought it. And I certainly made the RIGHT choice.

The game is a step up from Junior Brain Trainer 1, in that it is MORE advanced. This said, my son, who is 6, finds it challenging at times but enjoys the challenge. Plus, he loves the fact that he is rewarded with a new game each time he completes his daily challenge. Admittedly, there are some challenges (like long multiplication) that he struggles with, but i am always on hand to support as well as encourage him. The end result is his face lights up with glee once he understands the challenge at hand. Therefore, I would strongly recommend this game to any parent.

Junior Brain Trainer 2 is an all rounder, Maths wise, English wise and Literacy wise, and definitely well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Junior Brain Trainer 2 - PEGI Age Rating and suitable for age, 16 Nov 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Junior Brain Trainer 2 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Having read the previous review I thought it worth pointing out the difference between the suitable for 6 - 11 age range in the product description i.e. who should play the game and the 3 PEGI logo on the front of the packaging.

The Pan-European Game Information (PEGI) age rating system was established to help European parents make informed decisions on buying computer games. It was launched in spring 2003 and replaced some national age rating systems with a single system now used throughout most of Europe.

What do the labels mean?

PEGI age rating labels appear on front and back of the packaging at one of the following age levels - 3, 7, 12, 16 and 18. They provide a reliable indication of the suitability of the game CONTENT in terms of protection of minors. The age rating DOES NOT take into account the DIFFICULTY LEVEL or SKILLS required to play a game.

PEGI 3 - The content of games given this rating is considered suitable for all age groups. Some violence in a comical context (typically Bugs Bunny or Tom & Jerry cartoon-like forms of violence) is acceptable. The child should not be able to associate the character on the screen with real life characters, they should be totally fantasy. The game should not contain any sounds or pictures that are likely to scare or frighten young children. No bad language should be heard and there should be no scenes containing nudity nor any referring to sexual activity.

My daughter is really enjoying this version having moved up from the original.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good game., 10 Dec 2010
Angela - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Junior Brain Trainer 2 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I bought this for my reasonably bright 7 year old, and prior to giving it to her had a quick go, wasn't impressed, and having let her play with it and assisted her I am even less impressed. The games are poor on every level - they are a mix of maths and literacy that don't reflect teaching techniques in this country (eg there are long additions laid out differently to they way they are taught at primary I think), and the time challenges are also wrongly presented in my opinion, encouraging understanding of the digital clock rather than the standard way of telling the time. You can change the difficulty level by selecting the age, allegedly, I still found if I entered my child's age as 4 she was expected to be able to calculate 1,270 x 15!!! If you can't do a challenge you can't get help or progress, I have to admit I lost patience with this game pretty well immediately.

Some of the games are frustratingly awful - eg you are presented with S _ _ P and expected to be able to fill in the blanks, or to unjumble sentences that are best meaningless and at worse in poor English. I'm a fairly intelligent 40 year old and I can't work out some of the games - you have to complete 5 per day before you can unlock a minigame, per day, when you do unlock a minigame they are pretty poor in a bad retro kind of way.

I was very disappointed by this game, much better (free) content is available on the web if you want your child to do something "educational" - this game is frustrating, pointless and ultimately a waste of time, there are much better games available on the ds, I wouldn't recommend this one frankly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent game, 18 Sep 2011
Charles Rayer - See all my reviews
This review is from: Junior Brain Trainer 2 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I bought this for my 9 year old and she loves it. The maths can be a bit tricky but that is exactly what we wanted and she gets there with a bit of thought. Kept her quiet for two flights so it has already paid for itself ;-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Junior Brain Triner 2, 11 Jan 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Junior Brain Trainer 2 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I bought this game for my 4 year old son, but the maths is too hard for someone of his age. Only one game to start then have to do tasks to unlock more games. He found it difficult and needed assistance to get through some of the tasks. Keeps going back to it though, so hopefully help him learn and develop his skills. Enjoyable for parents and older children as well though!

2.0 out of 5 stars so so, 10 Jan 2011
Pj Harrison - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Junior Brain Trainer 2 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Like the curate's egg good in parts but much of the questions seem too hard for the aimed at audience.I also dislike how long it takes to "unlock" new games & features my daughter got fed up with waiting for new features and has stopped playing with it already.

2.0 out of 5 stars Brain Trainer 2, 10 Jan 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Junior Brain Trainer 2 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Not sure yet about this, some of the games appeared too hard for my six year old but I am sure that she will improve as we play it more. I would consider this more like homework rather than a game but could help her with her school work if I can keep her engaged?!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good., 28 Mar 2011
Ali (Newcastle upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Junior Brain Trainer 2 (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Not a good buy. My quite bright almost 8 yr old couldn't make much progress - on her assigned level the literacy tasks were too easy and the numeracy tasks way too hard; Maths is her strong point and I am a maths teacher but I couldn't really help her as the sums expected you to do it the "old fashioned" way (for subtraction do "carry" and "pay back" )- fine for anyone over 40 but I didn't want to teach her a different method from what she is taught in school so it got put away, not to be seen again.
Disappointing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Junior Brain Trainer 2 (Nintendo DS)
Junior Brain Trainer 2 (Nintendo DS) by Avanquest Software (Nintendo DS)