Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 18 March 2008
This is a really delightful read. It is all about a young widow and the lengths she goes to to survive on the streets of London with her two young children, when her parents leave her to her in-laws harsh control. It starts off a bit slow, but once the story gets going, it is easy to become absorbed in the book. The ending is truely equal to that of a good fairytale. Due to the great plot and good quality of writing, i will definatly look to read other books by Dilly Court !!!
on 18 June 2008
This is a well written moving book, that shows the couragous determination of a young widow, with her two children, Joss and Beth. After losing her husband at sea Eloise is forced to move in with her in-laws, which are seemingly the worlds worst in-laws ever! She is then forced to take refuge elsewhere with a friendly dairy farmer and her family.
Despite the farmers families generousity, she decides that she must try to make a life for herself and her family back in London. She falls on many a hard time, that leads her to consider giving up her children, but given all she has been through with them can she do it? You'll have to read the book to find out.
Being a mother to Three small children, this book brought tears to my eyes on many occassions, and I could whole heartedly sympathise with her situation! Eloise has lost so much in her life, and she wants to keep hold of her beloved children at all costs, it really depicts what courage a mother must have in order to protect her children and do the right thing by them.
As always, Dilly Court has shown her amazing ability to create a book that is not only a pleasure to read, but so deep that it makes the book hard to put down!
on 1 February 2009
This is the first book i've read from Dilly Court and will not be my last I loved this book it had me thinking about the characters after I finished reading the book. Made me feel like I knew Eliose and her children very vivid story telling being from United States I felt like I knew the streets as Eloise walked them. Would highly rcommend this book. And will continue to read her books.
on 13 May 2008
I found this book a slow start, but once it gets going I found I was unable to put it down. I recomend it if you want a story that was true on life in London in the 1870's being hard and poor for some. I shall be reading Dilly Courts other stories and hope they live up to this story.
on 31 October 2008
This is the first book I have read by Dilly Court and it was a brilliant read, I could not put it down. I have all her other books and look forward to reading every one of them, if you haven't read her books please do so.
on 10 May 2009
This heart warming story portrays the lengths a mother will go to in order to protect her children.

When Eloise's husband's ship is lost as sea she and her children are left destitute and penniless and she has no choice but to ask her in laws for help - who refuse her. A kindly farmer and his wife take her in, but she feels that she cannot impose on their hospitality and returns to London to fend for herself.

Things get so hard for Eloise that she has no choice but to consider the workhouse which she wants to avoid at all costs and even considers abandoning her children at the foundling hospital...

Once again a classic, heart wrenching and heart warming read from Dilly Court. As a mother myself, when Eloise has to make the impossible decision what to do with her children, it had me close to tears. I dare any mother to read this book and not be moved!

As we have come to expect from Dilly, another great read which is impossible to put down!
on 31 August 2009
This book was in many ways an easy read, in that the story moved quite fast and held the attention of the reader. It was a heartwarming tale of a mother whose life was changed by the death of her seafaring husband in a time when the workhouse was often the only option for a woman alone with her children. The book was full of information about the era of the story and had been well researched.
on 27 May 2009
Dilly Court has a wonderful imagination. If you havent read ALL her books then its a must. You can not put them down once you have picked them up. A real good read.
on 14 December 2012
I loved this book and couldn't put it down. What a courageous young woman Eloise is and devoted to her children. Thank goodness we don't have to experience these days what women and children had to go through in years gone by. Another great story from Dilly Court and can't wait to read more.
on 14 October 2012
I love Dilly Courts books, they are great reads. This is my favourite of the ones I have read so far. Its gripping and you get to care about and know the characters. These books are similar to Katie Flynn's novels. Highly reccomended. Feelgood and well written. Will continue getting her books.