5.0 out of 5 stars A warm, witty, sane and helpful book
Published on 27 April 2008 by Ms. J. Parsons

1.0 out of 5 stars It said all the things I wanted to here - but didn't work!
It said all the things I wanted to hear about him not being ready and stalled for time - which just delayed the inevitable and set me back as my child went beyond the point he was ready! In the end I spoke to my health visitor and she told me to go cold turkey taking away nappies except night time - it took less than 2 weeks to potty train!!!!!!!!!!!
Published 4 months ago by H-McC

5.0 out of 5 stars A warm, witty, sane and helpful book, 27 April 2008
Ms. J. Parsons (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Potty Training Boys (Paperback)
I wanted this book for the night training section and only wish I'd had it several months ago when I was training my son to stay dry during the day, which I found really quite testing. I am now completely serene about the nights and feel far better prepared for potty training my second son, though I have a year to wait for that. It's a delightful book - thoughtful and wise - with none of the prescriptive, slightly patronising tones of others I've read. If you, like me, are sick of others saying "it's a breeze" or "I don't know what all the fuss is about", resist the urge to poke them in the eye. Just get this book instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 April 2009
Prime (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Potty Training Boys (Paperback)
This book is excellent. It has really helped me with potty trainning my son. He has really responsed well to the relaxed approached. I had tried previously without help and got no where. The book really seems to get inside the heads of little boys and understand what they are thinking and how to respond. It has great advice went your son doesn't fit the mould and a guide to find out if your son truely is ready to begin. You can also fit potty trainning around your lifestyle and beginning in sessions. The amount of progress my son made in just a couple of days was amazing. A must read for parents of little boys.

5.0 out of 5 stars This approach is working brilliantly !, 25 Jan 2010
Mrs. H. Milburn (England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Potty Training Boys (Paperback)
Taken from the back cover ...
*Clear, step-by-step guidance on what to do on the first day and how to manage the following days and weeks
*Tips on specific 'boy' problems, such as whether to teach him to stand or sit and how to aim
*What to do if he refuses to sit on his potty
*What to do if your son is a late starter of easily bored
*How to fit potty training into your schedule if you're a working mum and can't take time off

I had been drawn to the 'potty train in __ days' books but the results had left me with a three year old son, who was under the impression that the whole process had no interest for him and he seemed happy to spend the rest of his life in wet pants. I read the book a couple of times first and started working through the second chapter 'Early Preparation for Potty Training (from 12 months)'. I realised that the emence amount of pressure I had forced onto my strong willed son, had only surficed to make potty training a next to impossible task. On the second day of showing a relaxed attitude about all things potty, my son showed an interest in trying again. I was shocked with the speed he responded to feeling like I had put him in the driving seat.

My son is by no means 'there' yet but he is now atleast a willing participant. I would have saved many months of tantrums and upset if I had bought this book a year and a half ago. I would recomend this book to anyond who's son is not yet potty trained, regardless of their age. It has many insights into your sons world and lots of stratagies to assist you through this very important stage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Potty Book!, 4 April 2009
Timbo (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Potty Training Boys (Paperback)
Clearly written by people who obviously know their subject. We are about to embark on potty training our first son and feel really confident after reading this book. Also, it is very easy to "dip in and out" of. No elaborate words or confusing medical jargon, just down to earth and helpful. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intuitive advice, 27 Nov 2009
Ms. Km Garner (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Potty Training Boys (Paperback)
I found this book the most helpful of all the potty-training books I have come across.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be almost magical, 17 Feb 2010
This review is from: Potty Training Boys (Paperback)
Our soon to be three year old was very resistant to potty training. He would actively say that he didn't want to poo in the toilet and was uninterested in bribes, even when we offered chocolate! I had read lots of books and had already potty trained his older brother so I was reluctant to buy another book but I was getting desperate and the reviews seemed good.
The book arrived, I skimmed through the key chapters and to my surprise my little boy almost immediately decided that he would like to give potty training a go. I am too old to believe in magic so I can only think that something in the book made me give off a vibe that my son was more comfortable with. I think an important message was that I really needed to put him fully in the driving seat. Before I think I had given him the message without thinking about it that it was up to him when he started to wear big boy pants but that after that I would have control (I didn't say there was no going back but I probably thought it). The book encouraged me to let him make the decision from moment to moment whether he wanted to wear nappies or pants and in no time at all he was deciding that he wanted to wear pants all the time.
I am very glad I bought this book

5.0 out of 5 stars potty training for boys, 22 Mar 2009
ann (surrey. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Potty Training Boys (Paperback)
for busy mums this is a book that is not too wordy and is easy to read.
reasurring in it's simplicity it confirmed to me how i was going to tackle this milestone and not get distracted with the varying bits of advice well meaning friends and family had told me.
the author is not condesending as i have found in many child advice books and doesnt try to make fun of the situation but keeps it light-hearted and straight forward.
also because she is an english mum (as well as a paediatrician)there are no american terminology to fumble through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Dec 2009
This review is from: Potty Training Boys (Paperback)
Agree with all the positive reviews already here. My 3 year old son is very strong willed as well as sensitive and the all-out approach was never going to be on the cards. This book helped me get into my son's head as well as understand his physical development. We started the process a few months ago with no pressure 'potty time' and now he frequently decides for himself that he wants to wear pants; something I would never have believed possible before we started. We have had very few accidents and his confidence has grown steadily along the way. Can't recommend this book enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent potty training aid., 9 Feb 2009
This review is from: Potty Training Boys (Paperback)
This book is very easy to use with some great advice, as a total novice it has given me more confidence of how to go about potty training my 2 and a half year old. We are not there yet nut at least he is having a go!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gave me my sanity back, 3 Sep 2009
Kirsty Hogg "'working mum'" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Potty Training Boys (Paperback)
I was having a real battle with my toddler over the whole potty idea, and stressing over the whole experience, and he was at the point of refusing to even sit on the potty. This book was calming, reassuring and made me realise that I was stressing for no real reason and that by calming myself down and putting less stress on both of us it would make potty training so much nicer.
So two weeks later my toddler is now 95% potty trained (just doing transition to 'big' toilet). Thanks to this book for making the transition a lot smoother than I ever thought it would be!

Potty Training Boys