4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Half-Blood Prince
Downsides to the game are mostly the controls.
I was disappointed to find instead of waving the control to cast spells you're just pushing buttons.
Moving about can get a bit annoying aswell, however you do get used to it after spinning in circles for ages.
Published on 23 Dec 2010 by calum

1.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Worst Game Ever
Published on 20 Nov 2010 by Sam Aldridge

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Worst Game Ever, 20 Nov 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows - Part 1 (Wii) (Video Game)
As an avid Harry Potter fan, I have enjoyed all the other video games produced, they have been reasonably simple and quite straight forward, however the Deathly Hallows video game is totally different. For me the biggest disappointment of the game is Harry is basically running round killing death eaters & snatchers, which totally contradicts what JK was trying to emphasis in her books, throughout the seven books Harry refused to cause harm to anyone and definitely would never tried to kill anyone.

The pace of the game varies dramatically, to progress through the levels it is often easier for Harry to be hidden under his invisibility cloak, however if you walk for too long with out pausing, or you bump into someone or something the cloak falls off and instantly there are death eaters shooting at you from all angles, causing the game to suddenly get quite frantic.

One of the flaws of the other two HP wii games, was the camera angles which often made it hard to see, with this they have tried to improve it using the remote to control what Harry is looking at and the direction he is walking in (camera controls) and the nun chuck to control walking, however yet again, this hasn't worked, the game is slow at responding and moving around, so often you are being shot at from behind and it takes a long time to find the enemy, but which time Harry has died and the you go back to the last saved part of the mission or you discover that Harry is running in completely the wrong direction and you end up with the screen going round and round in circles.

To help find where you need to be going (believe me, there is no straightforward route) there is a 4 point spell that Harry can produce (pressing the + button on wii remote) however (yet again a negative) half the time this feature doesn't work and the rest of the time you can't see where to go as you are facing the wrong way, and by the time you have turned Harry around, the spell has stopped working!

As you progress through the levels you collect a variety of spells and potions which are designed to help you when fighting the 'baddies' however in reality I didn't use any of them, preferring to simply use 'stupefy' and wave the controller at the screen until the target went red. In this game you select the spell you want to use, point the wii remote at the screen and press B (rather than learn specific remote movements).

For those who enjoy finding all the collectables in the HP video games, you won't be disappointed - there is articles for the Daily Prophet, the Quibbler and the radio station Potterwatch to find throughout the levels.

To conclude, if you like a game where you simply point the wii remote at the screen and press B, then this is a game you would enjoy, but for me this was shockingly awful and I am really disappointed with what they have made. This is the first book that EA are not restricted to the action happening at Hogwarts and it was likely to take a very different style from the other games, but this is a terrible attempt, they should have created their own game using the book as a guide, rather than creating a copy of the film.

1.0 out of 5 stars Real anti-climax :(, 23 Nov 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I pre-ordered this game to add to the excitment of re-reading the book and seeing the film. I waited until i had finished both before starting the game - and I was extremely dissapointed.

The game follows little of the plot of the book/film and is extremely repetetive - the levels that i did play consisted of aiming and pressing 'B' constantly to stun death eaters or snatchers. Not very interesting.

The game felt very slow and clunky - very slow to respond to my actions even after I had adjusted sensitivity settings. The camera angles were all over the place and it was very hard to target enemies - by the time you had got the character to turn around Harry was Dead. Was the Game designed by He who must not be named?!!

I have really enjoyed playing all of the previous HP games but this one was really a complete let down. There was none of the magic or role play of the previous games. I really hate it.

So frustrated that i turned it off after an hour :( You usually have to drag off a new HP game.

Part 2 best be a lot better or I am sending EA staff to Azkaban!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Half-Blood Prince, 23 Dec 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Downsides to the game are mostly the controls.
I have to say though I do like it alot more than the Half-Blood Prince, in this game I feel like there is more to do.
Overall not as good as the Order of the Phoenix but better than Half-Blood Prince.

3.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet.., 27 Dec 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Well I'm still not sure what to make of this game. The controls weren't difficult, after a short time getting used to them and as negative as the other reviews are I have to say I really did enjoy it. You get a variety of spells to choose from that you build throughout the game which make it feel less restricted. However, having only started playing the game yesterday and completing it today (and I'm no super gamer) its safe to say its not a very long game. I got through it at a colossal rate and the levels began to get a little repetitive with little diversity in the objective. I am a big harry potter fan and its likely I enjoyed playing it just for the sheer thrill of using my chosen spells but in the end its far too short. Perhaps if they had combined part 1 and part 2 into one game and thought out a better way of adapting the plot and your objectives it could have been a better game.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is terrible !, 21 Nov 2010
Marc Woodward (Amlwch, Anglesey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
The control mechanics do not work very well. The camera does not work very well. The First Person parts are terrible.

Please EA remedy this before Pt 2 !

Half-Blood Prince was pretty good but this is such a big disappointment...at least the film was good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Guttingly disappointing!, 4 Dec 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I really really loved the Wii incarnation of The Order of the Phoenix, finally the Wii was showing us what it could do, free roaming and choosing what to do when, along with all the mini-games made it an excellent game to play. The Half Blood Prince followed and although not living up to its predecessor was entertaining enough...and now finally I get to the point. For some reason (clearly known only to EA) the winning formula has changed and after excitedly returning home and ripping off the cellophane wrapping, I found myself greeted with a clunky, third person shooter that gave the impression of being a badly designed port from another console. The Wii controllers have SO much potential when it comes to these games and instead of casting spells I spent my time flailing about trying to get Harry to walk in a straight line...a near impossible task while characters on the screen repeated the same phrases over and over again. The book and the film are absolutely brilliant, the game should follow suit but sadly this is definitely not the case.

2.0 out of 5 stars absolute crap!!!!!!!!!!!!, 5 Jan 2011
i bought this games from sainsburies it only cost £20 i thought it was a bargain . until i actually played it .all you do is kills death eaters and snatchers and i have read the book . and in the book there are rarely any fights until the end in hogwrats . harry doset not like killing or fighting it goes against him . Ea should do a remake solely based on the book not the movie

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good game, 27 Nov 2010
Me, Myself & I (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
The one redeeming thing this has is the graphics aren't too bad but I have seen better.

I have always found the Harry Potter games a hit or a miss.

This for me is a miss, I honestly wish I hadn't bothered to pre-order this game for the following reasons:

1) The controls are shocking - you either are too late getting the enemy or you are going round in circles
2) OK I have said the graphics aren't too bad but when the action picks up it feels a little sketchy
3) The four-points spell the other reviewers have mentioned has never worked for me yet - I can't even work out who Mr Weasly is meant to be considering I have tried to 'talk' to all characters at one point more than once
4) AR or Augmented Reality - I can't get the image or the code using my webcam and the reason for this is because not all webcams or graphics cards can pick this up, I did a search on the internet - so if yours doesn't work you need to search the internet for codes - this can take a while when game is brand new

So overall not impressed in the slightest and probably going to sell the game on.

2.0 out of 5 stars SO DISSAPOINTING, 29 Dec 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO HAVING THIS GAME AFTER WAITING FOR MONTHS FOR IT TO BE RELEASED .I HAVE LOVED ALL THE OTHER HARRY POTTER GAMES BUT I HATE THIS ONE.IT DOESNT HAVE THE SAME LEVEL OF MAGIC AS HOGWARTS. IT IS LIKE ANY OTHER VIOLENT GAME JUST SHOOTING DEATH EATERS AND THE SPINNING ROUND AND TRYING TO FIND PEOPLE IS AWFUL MAKES YOU FEEL ILL AND THE CONTROLS DONT SEEM TO BE ACCURATE AT ALL WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY DONT BUY IT ITS NOT WORTH A PENNY

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Game, 30 Dec 2010
C. W. Hogan "crishog" (England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Arrived on time, worked perfectly. My daughter have played it non-stop it seems, so I believe she likes it. I've not seen the film myself, but she says the dialogue sections are faithful to it, but a few details have been altered, not that that interferes with her enjoyment.

Though the constant cries of "stupify" (which I first took to be "stupid boy", too much Dad's Army) get a little tedious.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows - Part 1 (Wii)
Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows - Part 1 (Wii) by Electronic Arts (Nintendo Wii)