5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It
To be honest I have never read anything by William Boyd before and when this was first advertised as coming on our screens I wondered what it was going to be like. After the first episode I went out and bought the bookAny Human Heart which I haven't touched as I didn't want to know what I would be seeing on the tv, now it is finished I can relax with the book at any...
Published on 13 Dec 2010 by M. Dowden

3.0 out of 5 stars why it didn't quite get there
The overall production was very good, the acting the same, the story , the theme and the continuity also hit the mark,,, so why did it not get there,?,,,with all that happens to the main character , he seemed to be just hog-tied to a belief that life is a matter of luck, good and bad..and to meander through his life so full of tragedy , trauma, and be thrown into such...
Published on 17 Dec 2011 by evergreen

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Nov 2014
Very enlightening

2.0 out of 5 stars Loved the book, hated the series, 29 Jan 2011
This review is from: Any Human Heart [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I gave this 2 stars as I liked some bits--but I have now watched almost 3 of the 4 episodes and won't be finishing it. I liked the book very much, and I don't recall the character of Logan being so maudlin, self-pitying and just plain boring. Perhaps I filled in the blanks in the writing in an odd way when I read, as I see Boyd also wrote the screenplay and remember admiring the character of Logan when I'dm read the book. No more! If I had to see one more shot of Jim Broadbent all trembly-jawed and teary-eyed, I'd have been ready for suicide myself. The idea that being driven by no ambitions but sexual and romantic ones (and, to me, the character seemed more into romance in a soppy Harlequin/Mills&Boon way than seriously obsessed with sex) is in any way enobling or even especially interesting is shown here to be delusionary.Buy the book. Forget the DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved every minute of it, 21 Sep 2011
S. R. Cantle "Filmlover" (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Any Human Heart [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I imagine it's tough to adapt your own novel into something played out on the screen, but although I didn't think David Nicholls pulled it off for his 'One Day', here William Boyd - one of my favourite novelists - has very definitely succeeded.

It's a treat from start to finish and well worth watching again and again. It's that good.
All three periods of the main character's life are beautifully filmed, and the three actors totally pull off the transitions thro' their character's life. It was Jim Broadbent's portrayal of the older Logan Mountstuart who won the BAFTA nomination, but for me the memorable role is that of mid-life Mountstuart, played by Matthew MacFadyen, to me a most under-rated actor. Brilliant in early Spooks, but mostly in smaller roles since, I hope this performance convinces some mainstream director to cast him in a more central film role.

What Boyd creates here is a totally convincing picture of life in Britain, experienced by one man through the 20th century - a little like Tom Hanks Forrest Gump, but with a much more intelligent central character.

If you haven't seen it yet, you have a huge treat in store.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great saga, 15 Sep 2011
This review is from: Any Human Heart [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
We read the book first, it would be better the other way round. The book is a definite 5 stars. The DVD would also be 5 but we can't unread the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and moving, 3 Sep 2011
Fraz (Glasgow,Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Any Human Heart [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Who are the idiots who gave this 1 star? From reading their reviews it sounds like a load of moralistic daily mail readers. I found this dvd to be riveting and profoundly moving at times. Watching logan journey through his life was thought provoking and really made me think about my own existence. Great writing and great acting certainly helped as well.This is the best series i have seen in years . More please.

3.0 out of 5 stars question on the ending, 22 Jun 2011
RedShoesGirl (Barstow, CA United States) - See all my reviews
SPOILER ALERT:

i just finished watching any human heart via netflix and i have to say i am baffled by the ending. we see the very old man shuffling along on the beach after sorting through his things categorized by which female was influencing him at the time. then we jump back to when gloria died - he wasn't so old then, walking well, still in england. he buys violets and then wham, gets hit by a truck.

so how did he get older and in the south of france. was the violets moment a flashback? i understand in the book he survives being hit by the van. but that part is not shown in the TV show.

i hope this makes sense. i was totally blindsided by the ending. i wasn't at all fond of the protagonist, but at least his story was entertaining.

2.0 out of 5 stars complacent tosh, 22 July 2011
This review is from: Any Human Heart [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I wanted to like this. It has some very good actors in it and is based on a highly rated novel. However, it didn't work for me. It was often all too predictable. The first episode has hints of Brideshead and Cambridge Spies with lots of upper class romping in posh settings. The second and third episodes are more engaging as Matthew Macfadyen takes over the lead. There are touching moments in wartime London but also silly Spanish Civil War sections which are just too rushed to work in the drama.
The last episode with Jim Broadbent in the lead is simply ridiculous and stretched my incredulity to the limit. Were the scenes with the hippie radical terrorists supposed to be comedy ?
The portrayals of the dreadful Windsors were fantastic but left me wanting them to be more integrated into the drama.
In the bonus interviews the actors all repeat the mantra that it is a fantastic piece that shows how life is just about luck, as if this is somehow profound.
Perhaps it was my bad luck to buy this one.
My advice would be to give it a miss.

4.0 out of 5 stars The book is better!, 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: Any Human Heart [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I read the book about a year ago and absolutely loved it. It was very real, well almost surreal actually as I kept wondering whether Logan Mountstuart was real or not.
Whilst the tv drama was of very high quality, it didn't quite capture the magic of the book. Still very much worth watching as the acting is brilliant, and the on-screen chemistry between Logan and Freya is tangible. I definately enjoyed it, but the book surpasses the film in terms of overall aesthetic pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Any Human Heart, 5 Feb 2011
Mrs. D. A. Naven (Kent UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Any Human Heart [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
A really good series - showing the logged life events of a man's traversal through his life. I really enjoyed the candidness and portrayal of this 'human'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Life does not change, 24 Feb 2011
This review is from: Any Human Heart [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
The D.V.D. was well packed and delivered within a few days . Excellent service.
The story showed life as it was, and how over the years there has been little change. A moving story quite enjoyable, but will depend on the individual outlook on life.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

Any Human Heart [DVD] [2010]
Any Human Heart [DVD] [2010] by Michael Samuels (DVD - 2010)