5.0 out of 5 stars I Enjoyed It
I must admit that when I heard the basics of the plotline for this I wan't going to watch it, but I am glad I did. Don't put this down without watching it because you will miss something really good.

Published on 26 Oct. 2010 by M. Dowden

3.0 out of 5 stars A series too far?
Published on 30 Dec. 2010 by Spidernick

5.0 out of 5 stars I Enjoyed It, 26 Oct. 2010
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Whitechapel Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)

After their last case where they were following a Jack the Ripper copycat killer the team now find themselves up against the Krays. Have the Krays come back to life, or is there something more than just a copycat killer on the loose? Soon the team are up against it, who can you trust? Who is pulling whose strings? Who is going to be the next to die?

Are the Krays really back again, or is there something much more sinister going on? If you recently saw this on tv I don't have to explain to you what happens, and if you didn't then I don't want to spoil your viewing pleasure. If you like your crime dramas a bit more gritty and a little bit different as well as being well acted, then this should be right up your street. Admittedly at the beginning the plot may seem a bit ludicrous, but watch it to the end and see who is really pulling the strings of everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Whitechapel Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Considering this programme was just a short tv series a lot of effort and thought has gone into it. I found it pretty fast paced and I enjoyed all of it. There are lots of twists and turns, you think you've finally worked it out, but then you realise that you haven't. I shall be watching this again :)

3.0 out of 5 stars A series too far?, 30 Dec. 2010
Spidernick (Fareham, Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whitechapel Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I have to admit that, after seeing the first series, I thought 'Whitechapel' could only be a one-off, as I couldn't see how they would be able to do any more with this. In hindsight, moving to the Krays was an obvious next step, but for me this series did not have the appeal of the first and ultimately the whole storyline was contrived at all levels and boringly predictable (especially around the police corruption). Overall it was all rather unbelievable with an ending that was a damp squib to say the least. My personal feeling is that the Krays is too recent an event to work in this type of programme and I would have liked to see an exploration of a much less well known incident in Whitechapel's rich but murky past (TV is meant to educate as well as entertain, after all).

Don't get me wrong, it was entertaining and diverting enough, but my credibility switch had to be turned off to a much greater degree than for the 'Jack the Ripper' case. Personally I hope they don't make any more of this programme as it can only be a case of the law of diminishing returns being proved correct to my mind.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first series., 21 April 2012
This review is from: Whitechapel Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Again maybe it's because I'm not British, but series 2 was just not as riveting as series 1.

The characters of the police crew are not given as much development. For some reason they give the chief/Guv a case of OCD. It doesn't seem to fit.

Most of this series involves the mythology of the real Kray brothers, and the effects it has left behind on the East End and on the police, who either worked the case or knew people who did. If you did not grow up knowing who the Kray brothers are, then it's just a lot of nattering on about a couple of criminals. I don't know that this series will have the same impact on people outside Britain for that reason.

For those who are well versed in the iconography of the Kray crimes, this will probably be a lot more interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe one copycat too many, 18 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Whitechapel Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Whitechapel Series 2 was definitely one to look forward to. As with the first Whitechapel the casting was excellent and the acting very good. To be unlucky enough to have to deal with two gruesome copycat serial killings, first in series one with the Ripper and in series 2 with the Krays, was however hard to swallow. Our Ripper expert from series one seemed equally au fait with the Kray story but at least this time the murderers were caught. Sadly, however, not before most of the intended victims were already dead. If there is to be a series three I sincerely hope the copycat theme is laid to rest. Despite this I can still recommend watching the series. The historical research was hard to fault and the production and direction were also of a high standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great peice of drama, 31 Jan. 2012
B. Russell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whitechapel Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Whitechapel has a great storyline, great acting, a great setting and generally is just a great drama! Rupert Penry-Jones, Steve Pumberton and Phil Davies are great acting talents in this programme, and supply a really good tone to the programme with their spot-on performances. All of their charecters are played correctly to the upmost pin-point which therefore makes the programme a real good joy.

The storyline in this series is following 2 men who are copying the skills and crimes commited by the Kray twins. However soon the Whitechapel police department realise the case may go a lot deeper than just a simple copycat. After the success of the first series, investigating a Jack the Ripper copycat, this drama had a lot to live up to - and the excellent back storyline and the way it was written help it complete this aim. This drama is very well written and really a joy to watch.

The case itself is very intriguing, full of twists and turns you it makes you feel very connected to the storlyine and the charecters. Therefore you feel like you really are following these charecters as their try and solve this case - and you feel the problems they encounter during the process - you feel like you are starting to experience the actions and emotions of these charecters as their try to find and stop the killers. A really brilliant TV programme and one I would definatly reccomend buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great ingredients but formulaic finish, 26 Feb. 2011
Andy Millward (Tiptree, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Whitechapel Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
This must have sounded a good bet to TV execs: build upon the legend of Jack the Ripper with a fresh new modern drama, not just another hoary old retelling of the Ripper story. Create credible characters, all with sizeable flaws and foibles, plus a modern day Ripper copycat, the finer detail of whose crimes would only be interpreted by a nerdy Ripperologist, then shake and serve. Given the potential interest in the raw materials, Whitechapel is perhaps slightly disappointing in the final analysis, though you can blame neither Rupert Penry-Jones or Phil Davis - whose on-screen chemistry and ultimate grudging mutual respect is the glue that binds this drama for three episodes, nor indeed Steve Pemberton as the eerie Edward Buchan.

Why the disappointment? Because ultimately it had nowhere to go except a predictable denouement involving the new ripper, the final victim and the police arrival in the nick of time... Personally I would have hoped for greater inventiveness, but it seems the return to formulaic cops & serial killers took over at that point. Shame, but full marks for all the good things to be seen here!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 15 July 2012
This review is from: Whitechapel Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I bought the whole series on the recommendation of a friend in England. Watched series 1 and found it very good with good subtitles, but when trying to watch series 2 found that there were no subtitles. As my husband is hard of hearing and living in Greece we tend to watch many films outdoors where we have an amount of traffic noise. Subtitles are a must. We could not watch so are unable to give a good review. To our further disappointment we notice series 3 is also without subtitles. We will have to try and watch in the winter when we move indoors. It would have been helpful if the product description stated if it had subtitles or not

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Jun. 2013
E. Anson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whitechapel Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Love the series and this was as good as series one. Would highly recommend it. Service was fast and good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Dixon of Dock Green!!!, 8 May 2013
MS (Geneva, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whitechapel Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Though not as gripping as Life on Mars or Ashes to Ashes, this police/crime series is very watchable and the team grows on you as they grow on each other. Rupert Penry-Jones is excellent but for me it is Phil Davies as the hardened, world weary Sarge who brings it all together. Recommended...

Whitechapel Series 2 [DVD]
Whitechapel Series 2 [DVD] by Rupert Penry-Jones (DVD - 2010)