5.0 out of 5 stars Five, six - pick up sticks!
Published 19 months ago by Hal Marshall

3.0 out of 5 stars jackstraws
This is a fun toy, like pick-up-sticks but harder because the pieces are all different shapes and tend to catch on each other, which is good for developing hand-eye coordination and stuff, but as the first reviewer points out some of them are really flimsy and the heads practically snap off if you look at them. And the price seems a little high when you consider the...
Published on 6 Oct 2012 by a-san

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five, six - pick up sticks!, 4 Mar 2013
Hal Marshall "Battling For My Ex-Wife's Heart..." (From a Suitably Safe Distance!) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Jack Straws - Retro Board Game (Toy)
I had almost an exact replica of this game when I was a kid, the only difference being that the little tools were white. I obviously pre-dated colour in more ways than one. In every other respect though these are identical. My two little relatives (aged eight and four) did have a 'pick up sticks' game already, but I certainly never saw them play with it. Ah, but I had every confidence in this version. And I am glad to say I have been proved right. Well... sort of.

As a game this is a fun little challenge. It can be played alone or with others, although you will have to share the rather fearsome looking hook-thing which helps to get a purchase on some of the more entangled members of the Jack Straw community. Where they end up is down to the fates and whoever is tasked with chucking them onto the ground in the first place. Some of the shapes are pretty easy to extricate, no matter where they fall. Others, like the ladder, might just require some kind of diversionary tactic in order to distract your opponents, because you aren't supposed to move any of the other pieces. And you almost inevitably will. I don't know how many times I've thought I've seen an escaped tarantula while I've been playing this with my two little relatives. And they still always manage to beat me. Life isn't fair sometimes, it really isn't.

Much more exciting than using this in the way it was originally intended is to use the tool-shaped pieces separately in order to supplement a hundred other imaginative games. That's what I always used to do with mine and my little friends seem to have stumbled upon the idea for themselves too. With me it was always the gardening implements and my eight inch John Boy Walton. No, that isn't a eupemism... although in some ways I dearly wish it was. Think 'Polly Pocket' and you'll understand why. Anyway, the girls have so far used these tools in order to assist their Doctor Who figures defeat some of the most hideous foes that ever existed (not including Michael Grade). In fact 'Jack Straws' has brought so much extra into their imaginative play that I think the game itself has been rather forgotten about. But since I can't beat them anyway, even if I cheat, I don't think that's really a bad thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned fun., 26 July 2012
This review is from: Jack Straws - Retro Board Game (Toy)
My Grandad bought me a set of this when I was a child so I decided to get one for mine. They enjoy playing it and it's good for hand-eye co-ordination as you have to free the objects without disturbing any of the others. It keeps the children quiet when we play as they concentrate but you have to make sure that you supervise and pack it away again when you've finished otherwise the children play other games with all the pieces and as they are quite fragile they can snap easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings back happy memories....., 22 Dec 2010
This review is from: Jack Straws - Retro Board Game (Toy)
When I saw this item in a magazine it brought back memories of playing this when I was young with my Granny! I have bought it for my family christmas this year and I hope my children will enjoy it for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, 12 July 2014
This review is from: Jack Straws - Retro Board Game (Toy)
Played this game on my own when growing up. There would always be a heap of straws on the floor waiting for my next move. One great thing about this game? There are absolutely no time limitations, especially when you play it alone. Great game, and pleasant memories flood back to boot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the Last Straw, 3 July 2014
This takes me back to the 70s playing Jack Straws with my Grandad
The tools were all cream coloured.then and the hook was an n shape but still a great fun and frustrating game

4.0 out of 5 stars toy review, 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: Jack Straws - Retro Board Game (Toy)
i had a similar game as a child, i bought this as a stocking filler for my grandson age 6 . He loves yet, its quick to play he doesn't get bored and it develops hid hand eye coordination without him knowing. It's lovely to have an old fashioned toy in this gadget age that we can interact together.
I would recommend it to others

5.0 out of 5 stars Great family game, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Jack Straws - Retro Board Game (Toy)
Great family game to play at home or take on hliday. As a family we love playing it. Easy rules, great fun

5.0 out of 5 stars just like when i was a kid, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: Jack Straws - Retro Board Game (Toy)
This is the game I have been trying to buy for years. i am sooooo glad I found it. I am so happy with it I want to buy another one in case I lose any of the bits....

4.0 out of 5 stars Review, 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: Jack Straws - Retro Board Game (Toy)
Chose this as a gift as it is a game from my childhood that was enjoyed by all the family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun recreating playtime from the past!, 21 Sep 2013
This review is from: Jack Straws - Retro Board Game (Toy)
Good fast service. Fancied playing this, looked it up, ordered it and in next to no time we were laughing round the kitchen table with a good blast from the past!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›