5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect read to start you on your recovery
Published on 19 July 2003 by Emma Beeken

2.0 out of 5 stars This was in cassette. have not been able to ...
This was in cassette .have not been able to have copied onto cd as yet so unable to comment.
Published 22 days ago by Jean Warwick

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect read to start you on your recovery, 19 July 2003
Emma Beeken (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I opened this book with a bit of trepidation. I wasn't sure if I would be unleashing yet another panic attack simply by reading it. I have to tell you I was amazed at how calmed I felt. My first impression was that "at last, someone else understands!" and I was truly stunned at how many symptoms I had gotten "used" to, and near enough forgotten about. It was shocking to learn how far I had let my own needs slip, and how many things were all contributing to my panic attacks. It was a real eye-opener and it gave me the confidence to say to myself that I DID deserve to get better and treat myself with TLC. As I neared the middle of the book, I even found myself a little disappointed at the thought that I might not have another panic attack! haha... They are scary, but after having it confirmed that they are no-where near as bad as they feel, I began to find them interesting.
As it turns out, I have had two in the space of a month (about 80% less than usual) and since I had learned a few "tools" to get over them faster, the lingering grottiness that follows was not as bad as usual. Just knowing that I could recover, and also that I could do it largely on my own was a real confidence booster. I have already bought more specific books on yoga, assertiveness and cognitive behavioural therapy, and I am exercising regularly and eating properly, and taking time out for ME when I need to. I have to say, even though I know have a long way to go, I am feeling a lot better already.
If I ever met Christine I would give her a big hug. This book has given me the confidence to get over that very difficult first step and an excellent foundation for the rest of my recovery. Thank you very much Christine! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Panic over!, 3 May 2009
After having a particularly stressful time in my life, I had decided to take control, only to be flattened by panic attacks. I had no idea what they were, what was happening to me, doctors didn't help or seem to have a clue, and I was very, very frightened. A counsellor mentioned anxiety and the 'fight-or-flight' response to me, and I decided on some internet research, culminating in the purchase of this book, along with a couple of others. To be honest I never read the others, because as soon as I opened this book, I felt a wave of relief - at last, someone who knew what I was going through!

Written in a very friendly, understanding way this book explains exactly what it says on the cover - what they are, why they happen and what you can do about it. From page one onwards, I was getting myself better, and now, whilst I still do have the occasional panic attack, I know exactly how to deal with it and they are no longer a problem in my life.

If you suffer from panic attacks, this is the book for you. If you are Christine Ingham reading this - thankyou, thankyou, THANKYOU!!

5.0 out of 5 stars thanx a million, 7 Nov 2003
OH MY GOD, ive had panic attacks since the age of 4. who wud of thought a simple book could make you feel so much better. In every paragraph there is atleast one sentence that makes you realise you are not alone. This book is truely amazing. What a remarkable author. Thankyou amazon for selling it.
If you suffer or, know anyone that does, then read this book, i promice it will not bring on another attack! It will open your eyes, and make you understand what the problem is, then you wont have panic attacks anymore because you cant be scared of the unknown if you know what it is!!!!
SHEER BRILLIANCE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for anyone experiencing panic., 24 May 2005
By A Customer
Panic attacks are horrible. If you've ever had them, you know what I mean. This book helps to explain things others overlook and goes into more detail than others I've read. I like the approach this book has to panic and it's no-nonsense attitude. If you're having panic attacks right now, this is a good book to read to help you understand them more. Others that can help are: "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" and "What If--My Story Of Panic Attacks".

5.0 out of 5 stars This book really helped me, buy it!!!!!, 14 Dec 2004
By A Customer
After having suffered panic attacks and severe anxiety for nearly a year now i bought three books from Amazon to try and firstly get some information and reasurance and also to hopefuly find some solutions.
This is an easy to read and relativley short book that can be either read cover to cover or dip in and out of as required. The content is very good, well written and offers the reader no matter how many attacks they have had, a lot of confidence and the knowing that thousands of others are going through the same expreiences.
I would totally recommend this book to anyone and i am certain that it will help, good luck to you all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life saver!, 19 Sep 2007
I too was a sufferer of panic attacks, they were so bad that I almost had a nervous breakdown and the doctors prescribed me anti depressants which I refused to take. Then a work colleague that I would never imagine to have ever had a panic attack confided in me and recommended this book.. it has to be one of the best buys I have ever made. It really helped me understand what I was going through and helped me back to my normal self. It proved invaluable to my regaining control of myself and my life and I highly recommend it to anyone that has had or is having attacks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 29 Nov 2000
I would recommend this book to anyone who suffers from panic attacks. The book is full of information to help people understand what is happening to thier body, plus gives the reassurance that is needed. This book has helped me through the bad times and made me feel 100% positive.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 8 Jun 2006
If you suffer from panic attacks this book should help you, I definetly recommend it. Panic attacks can be unexpected and hard to come to terms with and it is very easy to become paraniod about having another attack.

Read this book and it explains why they happen, what causes them, what to do if you have an attack and how do deal with it. Knowledege is the key.

If you can understand what is happening to your body then it helps to make you feel more in control and not so scared.

4.0 out of 5 stars peace of mind, 25 Aug 2004
I have suffered from severe panic attacks for the last 14 years and i've tried Neuro linguistic programming, hypnotherapy, massage, medication etc. Every thing worked temporarily but only after reading this book was I able to regain peace of mind and the ability to sleep at night

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK CHANGED MY LIFE!!, 11 Nov 2009
After exploring every avenue from prescription medication to acupuncture to healthy eating, I was reccomended this book by a counsellor and it truly was the turn around to the anxiety and panic attacks I had been suffering for 2 years!Please read this and know that you are not alone!If only I had found this book sooner back when I thought that my mind couldn't possibly be doing these things to my body!Christine Ingham has done every panic attack sufferer justice and I found myself reading her words and nodding in agreemnet and shouting at the pages "ME TO, ME TO!THAT'S JUST HOW I FEEL"