4.0 out of 5 stars Give It A Try
Published on 9 April 2007 by C. Knowles

2.0 out of 5 stars Boudica: Dreaming the Eagle
I wanted to give this book a one star review but as I didn't finish it I thought it was unfair to do so.

I wanted to enjoy this book, I know nothing about Boudica and wanted to learn about her, and I enjoy epic tales of fantasy and historical fiction. So, I'm not sure what went wrong with this book.

I found that she spent too long describing things...
Published 22 months ago by Jaycey

4.0 out of 5 stars Give It A Try, 9 April 2007
C. Knowles (Worcester, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I would normally run a mile from this type of book, it's about as far from my tastes in fiction as could be imagined. I bought it purely out of curiosity as I had enjoyed Scott's crime novels and thought I'd give this a go, though I feared I would find it a slog, full of (to me) not very interesting historical detail. But I have to say I found it, on the whole, a revelation. It did take quite a while to get going and for a time I feared the worst, but then suddenly, without me even realising when, it had me hooked. I think this is partly due to Scott's exquisite writing: her descriptive powers are thrilling and beautiful. Even the battle scenes, which in books of any genre I would usually find boring and tedious beyond measure, had me enthralled. I couldn't say that every page had me gripped right to the end - as the book went on there were an increasing number of scenes where I was desperate to get away from Ban and back to Breaca, but I do realise that these scenes are necessary to present a full picture, so I don't make this a criticism. So on the whole I was mightily impressed, and yes, I've just bought 'Bull'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 10 April 2011
This is a great book and part of a series. The subject has been handled with a real love of the age and of the magic that surrounded it. Well written and populated with characters that almost become a part of you. If the ancient British history of our ancestors interests you I guarantee it will spark an even greater interest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great historical fiction. A must for all lovers of the genre, 16 Mar. 2006
Dreaming the Eagle gives a fantastic account that is heavily felt of the oppression Britain was subjected to under the Roman Empire. I think it is easy to just look at what the Romans did for Britain on terms of road networks and trade, and then forget the brutality they subjected native Britons to, particularly in the early years under Suetonius Paulinus.
This book does not leave that aspect of Roman rule untouched and actually highlights the situation. If historical fiction is your thing I would also recommend Ascent of an Eagle by Gaius Demetrius. This book is wonderfully crafted and compels the reader into the realities of a very grim political situation, set against deep personal struggles.

5.0 out of 5 stars A journey to Ancient Britain you won't want to end!, 7 Jun. 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed all four novels from the Boudica series. It drew me in and captured me like no other. Manda's attention to detail throughout all of the books allowed me to completely immerse myself in the story, as though I was there. It gave me an insight to the lives of those at the time that I had never appreciated before. I felt like I could smell the smoke on the Great Round House, feel the texture of plants, feel the yearning for the characters' lovers or their exhaustion from battle. Most importantly for me, it allowed me to develop an overwhelming bond with the characters, a real sense if intense familiarity as if they were my family and friends... As though I was Breaca.

Manda's style of writing allows the reader to develop a real understanding of the characters' personalities and invites you to join them on their journey to discover themselves. You learn some things about yourself too. I found myself emotionally drawn into their lives, shedding more than a few tears along the way, as I journeyed on their roller coaster of emotions - guilt, remorse, regret, jealousy, love, etc.

The strength of the dreaming was incredible and refreshing to be open to the powers of their gods that were connected to the Earth, rather than the writings in a book.

Reading the Boudica's story was a great experience, I don't think I have felt so involved in a book since a child. It was great to find new heroes in my life and to gain a small insight into this time in Britain's history. The storyline was cleverly interwoven into the facts available, bringing the artefacts to life in a colourful way - so you could both learn and romanticise.

It was a sad moment when I finished the last page of the fourth book, not only because it was the end of the series, but because it was time to say goodbye to the characters. It was like saying goodbye to friends you have known all your life.

So a very large thanks to Manda, who should be truly commended for her outstanding writing. Simply superb.
Sarah

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and beautifully imagined "history", 31 Mar. 2007
Mark Shackelford "mark shackelford" (Worthing, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This delightful series of books (I have only read the first but have already purchased the second in anticipation) retells the story of Boudicca (or Boadicea as she was known when I were a lad ... no NOT that long ago!). The book presents a powerful vision of the peoples of that time and their ideas, feelings and lives.

It is on a par with Marion Bradley's "Mists of Avalon" - another book with strong (and believable) female lead characters, as well as Bernard Cornwell's Harlequin saga.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good mix of fact and fiction, 8 Oct. 2003
PV WEBB-LLANO (Un lugar en Espana) - See all my reviews
I first heard about this book when the author, Manda Scott, was interviewed on Radio 5live with Simon Mayo's book review. The 'hard to please' panel all reviewed it as a 'remarkable piece of work' and I would stand by that. Dreaming The Eagle is a mixture of fact and fiction as it has to be, and the author gets the mix just right.
This book is the first in a trilogy that will be well worth reading. Whether Hollywood will be able to do it justice...I doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faction? A really good read, 31 Jan. 2007
Stan (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
I got this for Christmas and, having finished it, am out to get the next one. It is really well written, building a world which, although based on limited historical evidence, is totally believable. Did the British tribes have dreamers who could see visions and conjure up mists? Were women equal to men as warriors? Did they have such great affinity to horses and dogs? Were the inhabitants of Mona blood-lusting druids or mystics? We will never know but Scott makes it real.

The closest parallel I can think of is Jean Auel's Earth Children, also extrapolated from scant archaeological evidence but, in my opinion, not as well drawn.

Lets hope the continuations keep up the same standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 16 Jun. 2012
This was a life changing book for me. As a fan of mainly Roman historical fiction, I was completely captivated by the details of the Bristish invasion, but I have discovered a passion for pre-Roman Britain thanks to the Boudica series.

Actually, I read the book when it was first released but re-read it fairy regularly and it always yields new delights.

For those who haven't read the book synopsis, it covers the life of the woman known as Boudica and her friends and family during beginning of the Roman occupation of Britian. It had me laughing and crying, and still does when I re-read.

I can't recommend this highly enough- it's utterly entrancing and totally engaging.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and thought provoking, 27 Sept. 2011
As the author says in her notes, so little is known of this period of British history from the British side, that it is inevitable that much has to be simply imagined as the way it ought or should or may have been. That said, the story certainly held me and left me wondering if this is something like the way our ancestors lived at the time of the Roman conquest. Interesting and thought provoking; also a little tragic in that it tells of a doomed society and way of life that was soon to change forever under Roman rule. Or is that not in fact the essence of Celtic heroic epic; the doomed warrior/bard fighting against insuperable odds, only to leave a beautiful memory of what was?

4.0 out of 5 stars A novel which does not loose the reader in historical detail, 24 Aug. 2004
By A Customer
This book took a little while to get into and to begin to understand the expressions that the author used as well as the historical context. Once I got past this I found the book extreamly moving to read and it incorporated the ingredients for a well written novel with the battle scenes well imagined by the author. This book is one I would recomend to all those people who love historical novels and I hope that I find Dreaming the Bull as good.