5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Bet
Published on 23 Nov 2006 by Reuben

3.0 out of 5 stars fluffy
You do have to admire the author for somehow securing a blog and book deal with a spreadbetting firm but as a novice trader myself I was hoping for more detail on actual trading and less on the author's personal life. Nevertheless it is an enjoyable, quick read, and does offer a perspective from a lay person rather than an expert which makes a change, but ultimately the...
Published on 10 May 2012 by jol legend

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Bet, 23 Nov 2006
This is the most readable, witty and seriously wise piece of financial advice I've ever read - and I've read a lot! At the same time it's a great piece of entertainment. However, spread betting is not for the mug punter, so if you are a mug don't buy this book. If, on the other hand, you can take good advice and apply it sensibly then you are on to a winner. The way that financial markets operate can sometimes be a little difficult to fathom, but Sally Nicoll explains things in such a clear and entertaining way that you find yourself becoming expert without ever noticing how it happened. And even if you never get around to taking up the spread betting challenge you will have read a great story brilliantly told. Buy it. Enjoy it. It's great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping very funny read, 21 Nov 2006
I was unable to stop reading this hilarious account of Sally's life in Primrose Hill with retired Reggie and much married Michael. She has been betting since she was 8 she says.

Sally's account of making love to her computer from the luxury of her desk reveals how in thrall she was to forex forays where she constantly was on the verge of losing her all.

Well recommended for a Christmas present.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic spread trading story of self enlightenment, 18 April 2007
A. Gregory "Blueaura" (UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent book which points out all the rookie mistakes I make. The book doesn't attempt to teach you how to spread trade, but it does help you identify your weaknesses i.e. irrational gambling, lack of a strategy, and most importantly not knowing your markets. Great read and very helpful!

5.0 out of 5 stars A sugar coated pill..., 17 April 2009
Christopher Blake "Poker Boy" (Wild Wales) - See all my reviews
This book has a title that may make you think....and at times the author encourages you in the deceit....that this is a dumb blonde out of her depth. In fact this is one of the cleverest and most enjoyable lessons in betting you will get. Some bitter lessons, hard won, but delivered in the sweetest of pills.

Technical enough to cover the main points of a complex subject the main points are spelt out by an exemplary teacher. Funny and clever. Read, enjoy and learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bets and the City, 29 Dec 2006
Richard G. Lyntton (Philadelphia, USA) - See all my reviews
If you've ever lived in PH, which I have, this is a witty, warm and fuzzy way to re-live the experience, picture the good old days and reminisce. Sally Nichol is, of course, still lucky enough to live there.

Bets and the City is a clever and informative way of finding out more about on-line trading, this time in the form of spread betting. If you trade through a broker, or on-line, this book is for you. It's good to know there are other amateurs out there, who can do well, can have accidents, and want to make money just like you and me.

But more than the spread-betting thing, this is a romp through a super cool part of London, with many local and colorful characters seen through the eyes of Sally, a woman after my own heart, even though I'm a guy, and all her down-to-earth foibles, frenzies and fecundities as she tries to make a crust, live an artist's life.

Oh, and she's dead right about Camden parking wardens. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?!

4.0 out of 5 stars The investment advice book that I read in shortest time, 23 Feb 2009
This is the book I have read in shortest amount of time from cover to cover. I could have given 5 stars if the book was thicker with more stories. Sally Nicoll was describing all her mistakes which any experience forex trader or financial spread better would remember when they started trading first time. I was expecting more of her successes too as much as she mad mistakes and lost lot of money. Before describing more of her successes, the book came to an end suddenly.

The language is bit colloquial but it is supposed to be from a diary and hence perfectly acceptable.

Some of the events are hard to believe. They are like dramas but I will give the benefit of doubt to the author. She almost lost 70% of her money and then inherits a will which puts a condition that she invests £20000 in financial betting!

4.0 out of 5 stars Thanx Sally!, 25 April 2007
Never before have I read a book from cover to cover without putting it down! Bets and The City is a fun read. Sally's style of writing is honest and humorous.The characters that accompany her on her spread betting journey add another dimention to it. Since finishing the book I am even more obsessed with wanting to start spread betting myself! Thanx Sally! By the way I have just started reading the book again - It already proves to be even better second time round -similar to watching a great movie more than once - it's amazing how some things only sink in when you see, hear, feel it again! I intended to give Bets and The City 5 stars but my mouse moved ever so slightly the moment I clicked and now I don't know how to change the rating..! I can only hope this doesn't happen when I place by trades :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth being in the bestsellers lists, 25 July 2007
I bought this book because I received a mailshot from a company that said that making money from options was easy, if only I paid £2,000 for their course. I was gripped and wanted to do it, but finally sense prevailed, and put spreadbetting into Amazon's search engine and noticed this book had more stars than others. So I bought it. (Well it was a great deal less than £2,000). I read the book in one day, and found all the advice very good, and laughed about her dog Dow Jones, and and her friend much married Michael. I haven't started spreadbetting yet, but I no longer think it's the path to instant riches, and have got a plan that probably would be more successful than if I had no plan, and time will tell to see how far I get along it. Thanks Sally.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining & Informative!, 28 Mar 2007
L. M. Gregory - See all my reviews
As I am a newcomer to the world of personal trading, and keen to get a handle on the area of spread betting, I was pleased to read a book that not only helped me with this greatly, but also had me laughing out loud!

There are many books written on trading, however I found this writer unique in the way she interwove her life within the main subject and kept the interest going. I particularly enjoyed reading about her blind date experiences!

I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in online trading to make this book their first purchase. It tells it as it is, and could save many people from making the same mistakes. Highly entertaining - I am looking forward to the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spreadbetting made friendly!, 9 Nov 2007
Aub (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
I was toying with the idea of trading shares in their various guises for years. I had read various technical analysis books, tried some analysis software like Metastock and websites like ADVFN, yahoo finance, etc. I had had my eye on spreadbetting a while ago, having sussed that I could start with smaller capital and not pay tax on my winnings, but I never crossed the line...until reading this book!

If you're like me and you're not sure if you're ever going to take the leap, read this book and do it - I joined finspreads soon after reading this book and I have now finished my first week of practice trading. I've actually lost more than I've won, as I write, but I'm learning and that's what this period is all about for me - make my mistakes with a small pot that I can play with to learn the ropes.

Back to the book. I don't read novel's as a rule, but I read this book in the addictive manner that novel readers tend devour books with - I couldn't put it down. Sally weaves intriguing incidents from her daily life with her adventures as a spreadbetter. You really do get a feel for how learning to spreadbet would be, and that's what did it for me, I thought, "yeah, I can do that", and now I'm doing it.

I'm going to read it again now as I continue to enjoy practicing, as I'll be able to see more of what Sally talks about during her early experiences.

The book definitely holds gems of wisdom from Sally's learning (which I conveniently ignored to start with - I think you've got to get in there and mix it up for a bit to get a feel for it before applying too many rules)

I recommend this book wholeheartedly to every wannabe spreadbetter - just the job to get you started!!!