Published on 27 Nov 2010 by Stefan Aalten-Voogd

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better
I recently got the product "Seagate GoFlex TV 1080P Media Player".

Pros:
* It serves the purpose.
* Firmware can be updated. Recent firmware supports 3 TB usb drives also.
* Supports USB keyboard.

Cons:
* Not compatible with GoFlex 1TB ultra-portable drive (I bought this drive also.)
* Picasa / Flicker is not having Account...
Published on 23 Nov 2010 by Gunasekaran

4.0 out of 5 stars Great media player, but shame GoFlex 1TB ultra-portable drive does not fit in the slot, 27 Nov 2010
Stefan Aalten-Voogd (North Berwick, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seagate GoFlex TV 1080P Media Player (Electronics)
Despite initial disappointment (see my original review below), this is now my favourite gadget and wherever I go I now happily set up the media player and connect a couple of external USB hard drives to give me an instant movie library on the go. Navigating the media library is like selecting from a file system - no consumer polish there - but it's not a great bother. Very, very satisfied indeed with my purchase and therefore upped my rating by a notch.

<Original review below>

I bought a 1TB GoFlex Ultra-Portable drive to slot into my GoFlex TV HD Media Player, which has a slot specifically designed to accommodate these drives, or so the product specs and all blurb I read lead you to believe. Not so!

The ability to slot the drive into the unit was, for me, a big factor in selecting this item (though not an overriding one) and I was disappointed at only finding out after the fact that the 1TB drive *does not* in fact slot into the media player.

The product specs clearly state that the GoFlex ultra-portable drives (irrespective of capacity) are specifically designed to slot into the GoFlex TV HD Media Player, as they form part of the Seagate GoFlex storage system - pah!

Apparently the 500GB drive has a smaller form factor and does fit in ... mind you, even then it still sticks out a bit.

After initial disappointment I guess I'll live with it - the combination of the media player and a high-capacity portable drive is still the main thing, but shame it's left a slightly sour note with me, all the more because I *had* done my research before buying thoroughly. Ah well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just works, 8 Dec 2010
This review is from: Seagate GoFlex TV 1080P Media Player (Electronics)
Initially bought the WDTV Live, but it did not work with my NAS and would not play some media files. The Seagate GoFlex TV just works. The only slight issue was that the WLAN adapter is not sold in the UK. This was easily solved as Seagate sent me information regarding which adapters had been tested by users. Bought one of these and I can now stream wirelessly from my NAS. The internet TV is also great (particularly the ability to watch youtube on the TV) although a little US biased. The addition of UK sites would be welcome, in fact BBC iPlayer would be great.

Despite this just does what I want it to do hence 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 23 Nov 2010
This review is from: Seagate GoFlex TV 1080P Media Player (Electronics)
I recently got the product "Seagate GoFlex TV 1080P Media Player".

Pros:
* It serves the purpose.
* Firmware can be updated. Recent firmware supports 3 TB usb drives also.
* Supports USB keyboard.

Cons:
* Picasa / Flicker is not having Account Login option to view all albums. Now it shows only public albums.
* Youtube login details are not being saved. Every time, we need to type the password.
* This product supports iPhone remote app. If similar app is available for Android also, then it will reach more users.
* When i see Video/Text RSS feed in the features list, i thought we can subscribe our own RSS feeds. But it list only predefined RSS feeds. I am not able add my own RSS feed.
* When we search videos on Youtube, it is big challenge to type using simple IR remote control. (remote control could have been better (similar to phone keypad to type in English)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for large storage devices, 20 Sep 2011
L. Phillipson (Lincolnshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seagate GoFlex TV 1080P Media Player (Electronics)
On unboxing I was initially quite pleased with the product, it looked well built and is approx the same size as an external 3.5 inch drive. The device was easy to set up without any reference to the instructions required. Once fired up, an auto update was required to update the firmware which it completed in a few minutes. The device quickly found my networked NAS drive, the Graphic User Interface is not too pretty but adequate although the shortcut feature could not be configured to create shortcuts to specific folders which was annoying. this meant that every time you accesed your drive you would have to start at the route directory and plough your way through any sub-folders to get to the required directory, no problem if you are computer savvy but not good for younger children who would not be able to navigate more than a couple of sub-folders. My major problem with this product is the time it takes to populate the list of one of my video folders. It takes over half an hour, which for an initial scan would of been bareable but the minute you navigate away from the folder then naviagte back it takes another half an hour again each time which I found to be totally unacceptable, hence why I sent it back. I rang Seagte to see if there was any way around this problem, the advice I got was to split my video folders in to smaller sub-folders which would then populate quicker. The problem with this though is you would end up with lots and lots of sub-folders which would make navigating more laborious, especially given the useless short-cut feature. Anyway why should I have to re-organise all my data to suit the device, a PS3 can handle with only a few seconds of delay before population of media lists. On the plus side though it did play everything I chucked at it, if you only have a small drive it could be suitable but for those who have a large collection of media, this will not be the player you are looking for. Great service by Amazon by the way, swift delivery and collection and refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coolest little thing, 6 April 2011
This review is from: Seagate GoFlex TV 1080P Media Player (Electronics)
Bought this unit on monday morning and recieved it the next day!

setting it up was a bit of a pain but once i set up shared folders etc i was awaaaaay!!! not set it up over wireless yet but over LAN i've been more than impressed, plays all the files my other media players wouldnt it's a neat little box

seems too good to be true....

one thing i'd say go on the forums on seagates website if you are having issues with login, seems like a few other people had the same issue i had but someone posted how to get it sorted.Seagate GoFlex TV 1080P Media Player

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Media Box !, 5 Dec 2010
Alexander Aris "Alex" (Oxford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seagate GoFlex TV 1080P Media Player (Electronics)
After an amazingly fast delivery from Amazon, I slowly unboxed the Seagate GoFlex TV 1080P Media Player and also the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 500 GB USB 2.0 Ultra-portable External Hard Drive for extra storage space. The overal design is compact and light, the Ultra-portable Hard-Drive fits snuggly into the integrated bay, although it does stick out a bit, it isn't that bad. It kind of reminds me of an 8-Track Cartridge Player.

I decided to use a Wired connection for Internet use with the box, although, it does support Wireless and you can purchase a Dongle from Seagate or other outlets. Upon connecting to the Internet via my Router, a Firmware update was detected and installed.

The interface is clean and fairly intuitive. However, the control from the Infrared Remote at times can be sluggish and sometimes it appears that nothing has been selected. This maybe because the Remote is too far away or blocked in some way. In saying that, after changing the setting Video settings to 16:9 through a HDMI connection, the screen looked a lot crisper.

The Internet option is pretty good, although there seems to be a limited supply of Channels, hopefully more will become available, one of the best ones is of course, YouTube. The search facility is a little bit clunky, but bearable and you will find, that some videos don't appear, that do through a normal search on a Netbook or PC.

Now, the main reason for having the Seagate GoFlex TV 1080P Media Player is the different file types it can handle. It plays just about all different types of Audio, I even got it to play Apple Audio Files bought from iTunes (M4A), which I presume are protected with DRM. Also, it did play a few Videos (M4V) as well, but not all. It played all other Video formats I threw at it, including DivX, but not DRM protected ones. It's understood that you can run ISO images as well, that include the typical menus on DVD's. JPG images display as per normal, along with BMP and GIF etc.

You'll find that this Device works with Windows XP to Window 7, which should include the 64 bit versions as well.

Overall, this is a great bit of kit. If the the interface speed is optimised the Internet Channels are increased through Firmware updates, it will make the operation even better, than it is already. If you use the supplied software, any folders and files can be sync'd with your PC, there is also a Thumbnail creator. If you spend a bit of time, you will be able to create a great media box content !

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Box, 5 Dec 2011
This review is from: Seagate GoFlex TV 1080P Media Player (Electronics)
Easy to use, simple to set up,
Plays Everything (Mpeg,dvd files,DivX,Xvid,avi,wmv)
Just need to add any portable or desktop hard drive with all your files on it
only critisms is its a bit slow to respond after pressing button on remote (1/2 second) sometimes
and the menu doesn't look as good as its biggest rival
But at half the price of the Slightly better and more user friendly WESTERN DIGITAL MEDIA PLAYER, at the time of my purchase ment £50 in my pocket Wins.
Western Digital TV HD 1080P Media Player

1.0 out of 5 stars Cumbersome piece of kit, 31 Oct 2011
This review is from: Seagate GoFlex TV 1080P Media Player (Electronics)
As someone with fifteen years of technical experience, I figured that setting up this would be a doddle. Oh no. Connecting it physically was the easy part, but getting it to see the shares on my Mac was the uphill struggle. And when I finally got it to read the shares via the wonderful XBMC program, it only listed certain formats like AVI which was disappointing as I'd bought it to play other formats.

The navigation is an ugly joke, so slow, you wouldn't believe it.

After messing with this for a couple of hours, I decided to send it back, and pay the extra for an Apple TV2 and then jaibreak it to run XBMC. That took me half an hour and I'm very happy with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, 25 Oct 2011
This review is from: Seagate GoFlex TV 1080P Media Player (Electronics)
I bought this to replace the streaming on my PS3 which doesn't support .mkv and has got increasingly poor with Sony's recent firmware updates.

Overall the Seagate does what it says on the tin, it plays most formats and once you get to grips with the menu system it is relitivly intuative.

Picture quality is good and it outputs sound in 5.1 via the optical out through my amplifier. It also has a network feature which means I can stream direct from the pc as well as the port for my seagate goflex drive at the front.

One nice extra is the internet radio feature which means I can pick up XFM again at last!

You also get access to youtube directly and it supports the majority of video formats.

Firmware can be updated over the web and is simple enough to do.

The external USB ports mean you can easily plug in other hard drives or pen drives to easily play files.

Negatives

One big bugbear with playback is that on occasion files can pause playing and return to the start of the file and its difficult to get back to where you were. I don't know if this is an issue with particular codecs or a bandwith issue (I think it is probably codecs because this has happened when playing files from the goflex drive connected to the internal bay)

Also the device can be quite sluggish to navigate through the menus which can be mildly irritating.

If you have a decent network connection (I don't!) its a good cheap option to stream from a media server to your TV but if you factor in the cost of one of the goflex hdd's which make it a complete media centre it begins to be quite pricey (500gb = £48 extra)

Overall its a decent product which I hope will be improved with future firmware updates to iron out the playback issues with some mkv files.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seagate GoFlex Media Player, 30 Aug 2011
This review is from: Seagate GoFlex TV 1080P Media Player (Electronics)
A neat little stylish box that takes up very little room. I connected mine via an ethernet cable so i cannot comment what it is like to use using wifi.
I had also purchased a GoFlex 3tb Home media server hard drive as well so now i can watch any of my movies in my living room or wherever i want to place my media player.
The only slight fault i found about it was the remote control which is a bit sluggish to use but nothing that will put me off using this neat little device, it was also a lot cheaper to buy from amazon than other retailers and delivery was very quick too.

Seagate GoFlex TV 1080P Media Player