5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant phone.
BB Pearl 3G is a brilliant little phone. It is light and small. This has been my first BB phone and to be honest I am bowled over. The battery life is amazing for it being a smartphone. It does all your social networking and email job in the best way. BB messenger is a brilliant way to connect to any other BB user anywhere in the WORLD!

The camera is 3.2 MP...
Published on 22 Nov 2010 by Amit Karpe

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch out in the long run
Published on 4 April 2011 by H

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant phone., 22 Nov 2010
This review is from: BlackBerry Pearl 3G 9105 Sim Free - Smartphone (Wireless Phone Accessory)

The camera is 3.2 MP camera, which is from a by gone generation, but for what it is, it does get the job done. If you have upload the pictures to Facebook and Twitter and you will not be let down on the quality.

One other noticable feature is the alpha numer key pad rather and a conventional QWERTY keyboard which BB seem to have. This allows the phone to be a regular candy bar rather than a "chunky" phone. The speaker phone is loud enough as well. The voice clarity is top notch as well.

The BB app world is being revamped and the developers are being wooed to get them to develop new apps, so on that level it lags behind Android and iOS. The apps currently are expensive, there are free apps though.

Otherwise the phone is simply awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, 15 Dec 2010
James Mousley (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is a great little phone. I've got 2 blackberries - this one and a full size one that I was given by my company - and this is way better...3G technology vs GPRS (which my work phone has) is like comparing a car to a horse and cart...I couldn't believe how fast this thing accesses the web and fun apps like facebook and it's so good using a normal phone key pad to type with...a full size 'qwerty' keyboard just doesn't work on a phone...it's far too fiddly and really is no quicker - it should be quicker, because each button has one letter, so one push, rather than 2 or 3 pushes, but since the buttons are larger and in better proximity on the pearl, the pearl works out faster...predictive typing is a mixed bag - it's very good at putting in comma's and capitals for you - typing im instantly becomes I'm, but it is very regimented in the words it allows you to select - i think nokia have this down to a fine art...pity their build quality is not so good...once upon a time, build quality wasn't really a consideration as you changed your phone every 12 months...but now contracts are for 18-24 months, a better quality of phone is needed...and this is it. there are lots of smart phones out there, but this one gets my vote for the following reasons: size. weight - iphone 4 and htc phones weigh a tonne (ps - i'm not against apple - i've got an itouch, which is great) - maybe ok for ladies and chaps with a 'man bag', but i want something light and compact that goes in my jeans pocket...without pulling them down! performance - does everything. build quality - as above and great screen size - very little between this and a full size bberry. phone keypad - as above.

full marks, i'm very happy with my choice...i just hope i haven't cursed it by singing its praise just 2 weeks after purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Compact Smart Phone, 13 Sep 2010
I was looking for a nice compact smart phone from BalckBerry which is small in size but quiet a powerhouse. It has almost everything in this small smart phone ie Bluetooth, WiFi, 3.2 Mega Pixel camera and a traditional keypad (non-querty). I ordered a sim free unlocked phone for use in the Middle East and its working quiet well. A point to be noted is the quick delivery by the suppliers. They were true to thier word. My only criticism of this model is that there is no FM player and not much pre-installed apps. Other than that, this is a Gem of a Phone

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch out in the long run, 4 April 2011
When I first got this phone I was thrilled, it was exactly what I wanted in a smart phone, however 4 months down the line key pad faults occured. Really really frustrating! texting became impossible, you press for an A and get a B, press for a B and get a C...and so on with every button on the phone. I returned it and got a replacment that again (except now only 2 months down the line) is displaying the exact same fault. I don't know whether this is a general fault with the Pearl or whether I have just been very unlucky...twice. However this is just a warning to those thinking of purchasing one, as now my sister who also owns a Pearl has similar issues, although to a lesser degree.

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome phone, intuitive to use, a real powerhouse, workhorse!, 19 Feb 2011
John B (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This ia an awesome phone. My 3rd Blackberry Pearl, it follows the first 8100, then a 8220.. but is light years ahead of these.

The new screen is fantastic, battery life good (I'm a heavy user, so charge mine every night). For my work I need a phone with a keyboard for SMS and long emails. I'm a big SureType fan where Pearls has 2 characters per key rather than a QWERTY keyboard. Once you adapt to SureType you can really get up some typing speed.

In Australia I got this phone as an upgrade on an Optus 24 month plan. My previous plan was $79 month + BB data plan, just over a $100 month. The new plan is $59 so a big saving and huge advances with the phone itself.

When looking at a new phone I thought IPhones have all the apps, i'll just have to do without these going the BB route. However BB app world has an amazing range of apps, all bar 2 of mine have been free. Apps for World Time (MyTimes), metric to imperial conversion, World Weather (WeatherTrax), Oanda currency convertor. Then if you want to carry your Microsoft Office files there's pre-installed programs "Word to Go", "Sheets to Go" to look at Word and Excel spreadsheets which can be copied across from your desktop.

To make all this work I downloaded just 2 paid apps. File Manager Pro which does a great job of searching thousands of files in my BB and an upgrade of Documents to Go which adds "PDF to Go" to the 2 installed programs. Being able to open up PDFs on the road, zoom in and read often complex docs is a dream.

For leisure (and for the other reviewer here looking for FM radio) there are a number of BB internet radio. My favorite app is FlyCast, MiRoamer. Cannot get one local am radio to stream on TuneIn radio,
otherwise TuneIn has a range of podcasts, genres, TuneWiki another internet radio app shows the lyrics as the songs play... perfect for karaoke!. Even though the BB speaker is small, the sound is very, very good. One important point here is for most of these apps to run them via WIFI not the data via the GSM 3G/2G network. Most of the apps can be set up so they only use WIFI. This ensures you don't breach your data limit. And internet radio without WIFI can use as much as 100MB/hr. So I only use these via WIFI.

In summary this is an awesome phone, intuitive to use, a great screen, a real powerhouse. Don't let the small size fool you. With a few apps (mostly free) and your desktop files installed you have almost the same function as a desktop computer in the palm of your hand. And still a very good phone.
By comparision with the earlier versions this new model is like moving from a horse and cart to a Ferrari, it's a major advance and for me a onestop business tool. With a few apps you've got just about every piece of information in your hand. My 3rd Blackberry I've been able to copy all the contacts, memos from early models over as well as all my desktop Word & Excel files. Bravo Blackberry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone. 5 Stars, 15 Nov 2010
This phone is fantastic. I had the iphone 4 for two weeks but sent it back. In my hunt for an alternative I found this. I chose it because I was looking for a decent smart phone with a T9 keypad that was not too balky.

I am really happy with my choice as it has all the power and features of a BB but is slender in its design, easy to use, has a large memory and good battery life. In addition, the screen is still quite big and very clear which is ideal for web browsing, watching you tube clips etc. It's also really easy to transfer music- just drag and drop from your itunes folder and all info inc album artwork etc is transferred. The facebook, ebay and twitter apps are all excellent and work really well. Finally, if you are with 3 you can also make and receive calls with Skype and use Skype chat for free.

In short, I would recommend this to anyone. A genuine 5 star product which does everything that you need it to but without the 500 price tag. Spot on.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great phone, but there's a couple of things to bear in mind, 27 Mar 2011
L. Hennessy (Twickenham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
First, this is a great phone. I've never had a Blackberry before, and I was very impressed with the quality of the speakers when playing music - truly exceptional, as is the battery life. The screen is small but has an excellent vivid display, and the design is pleasingly understated. The tiny touchpad works surpringly well, too.

I chose this phone because the Pearl is the only Blackberry not to be oversized. Obviously this is to accommodate the qwerty keyboard, but this slimmer design is far easier to keep in the pocket without it spoiling the cut of clothing. It has Word, Excel and Powerpoint applications included which will work with Microsoft documents if saved onto the phone, and it soon becomes easy to see why people stay with Blackberry.

One thing potential newcomers to Blackberry should bear in mind is that you will need to change your SIM contract - you need to purchase a special five pounds per month add-on which is exclusive to Blackberry if you want their Blackberry messenger and email services, which are incredibly convenient to have. It's also the best way to get the GPS map application working - you'll never get lost again, and it's the only way to gain access to their App store. Very importantly bear in mind that some networks still don't offer this Blackberry add-on option: Talk Mobile don't, for instance.

The other minor niggle is that the picture on the item page clearly shows a phone with no network branding. I paid for a sim-free phone, but the one I received had an Orange logo on it, and had been unlocked. The merchant who sold it had broken the seals of the box in the pretense of checking that everything was working properly in order to do so. It also had some old files that a previous owner had downloaded, even though it had been sold as new, and the firmware is still showing Orange network, which is irritating. This isn't the same thing as a sim-free phone, and I suspect some sort of minor dodginess going on somewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 1 Oct 2010
Ollie "Oliver" (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I love this phone. I picked this because I fancied a blackberry but didn't like the keyboard blackberrys have.

Works very much like a phone with predictive text. Well made. Software is good, unlike apples "buggy" iphone.

Battery lasts a good couple of days with constant use.

All your apps work in the background. Multitasking is much better than the iphone.

Not all blackberry apps work on it which is annoying but as time goes on they will make apps for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone!, 24 Sep 2010
Great phone,love it! Sleek, nice looking phone with smartphone capabilities. Optical trackball is perfect. I think it is designed for women, who dont like bulky smartphones with fingerprints on the touchscreen. However - everything is there - 3G, wifi,gps etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars pearl 3g, 5 Jun 2011
I am not a Blackberry fan, not keen on the operating system, but needed one for a special app to do with work. Unusually small for a Blackberry - candy bar shape. Long battery life etc. Still not a convert but very pleased with this purchase.

ARRAY(0xa0f4c768)