5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait

Published on 20 Mar 2011 by Dragonlord

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait, 29 Sep 2010
James Hughes Holland "Jim Holland" (Burnley, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tiger Suit (Audio CD)
Firstly, if you are going to buy this album, get the deluxe/special edition. KT is nearly as good at making DVD's as she is at making music. As a KT fan and music lover the DVD gives such an a fascinating and entertaining insight into the creative journey she travelled along to make this album possible. It's a story of sacrificing what she musically clung on too in order to truly let her creativety run wild.
Although this album has got the familiar Tunstall stamp on it, it also comes with this wild/tribal feel running through it. "Dance" and "Rock" usually face in opposing directions but on Tiger Suit the two seem to have formed this exciting alliance that works so well, and dosen't sound like anything that can be catorgarised, (as if she wasn't easy to catagorise in the first place). You can feel the energy of this album. It fills you up.
A minority of KT fans will not like this album because there's too much electronica on it. Personally, I hold this
multi-talented musician in very high regard and I am so pleased that she made the album that "she" wanted to make rather than make another "Eye to the Telescope" because it keeps people happy.
Finally, try watching to the DVD first. It'll proper rev you up ready to listen to this top notch album.

4.0 out of 5 stars (Still A) Weirdo., 13 July 2011
D. Singh-Hulass "Derek22464" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tiger Suit (Audio CD)
I'm not a KT Tunstall fan.

There, now that's out of the way I can actually say what I really think. I always thought she was an interesting and talented performer, but her music didn't really speak to me, it was just something on the radio playing pleasantly in the background.

But, as seems annoyingly common these days, I heard "(Still A) Weirdo" on YouTube (sorry about that), liked it instantly and looked to buy it as a single. Doh! Download only! So I bought the album. In fact, I bought the CD/DVD set thanks to another Amazon reviewer who suggested it and he was not wrong.

It's funny how the Status Quos and Motorheads of this world are criticised (mostly by non-fans mainly) for "all their songs sounding the same." It's been said about The Smiths too! The negative reviews on here, though entitled to their opinions, obviously, seem to be criticising KT for NOT making her debut album over and over again. Can you imagine how dull that would be for an artist? How soul-destroying to just keep pandering to an audience's wishes repeatedly?

I won't review the individual songs as that has already been done by more knowledgeable writers (in terms of KT's work) than me. What I will say is that this is a fine, brave album that is clear in its intent and well-realised in its outcome. She is also in very good, rough-edged and raw voice.

If this is a change in direction, then I like it a lot. I don't have any of her previous albums to compare to, but maybe I'm not bringing any baggage of expectations that come with it? Either way, it hasn't made me want to rush out and get her back catalogue because I find this album more than satisfying enough.

And to echo the other Amazon reviewer - do get the CD/DVD set as the accompanying DVD is very insightful, revealing and simply hilarious in places. Loved "The Polite Cowboy" short! And it's a very courageous person indeed who ends up putting out the demo version of a track on the finished album. The song? "(Still A) Weirdo" of course, a signature tune if ever I've heard one.

Derek

5.0 out of 5 stars Top banana, 8 April 2011
This review is from: Tiger Suit (Audio CD)
Bought after seeing her live, KT Tunstall continues to delight & surprise.
While it lacks some of the inventive arrangements that she & her band bring to the stage, this is still a 5star album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly brilliant album - love it!, 1 Mar 2011
Kevin Gordon (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tiger Suit (Audio CD)
I'm really surprised at some of the negative reviews from people that previously liked KT. I think this album is excellent and easily up to the standard of "Eye to the Telescope". "Drastic Fantastic" was good but fizzled out part way through, this is much better. There is not a duff track on it and the standard is consistently high, but if I had to choose the stand-out tracks would be "Glamour Puss", "Difficulty", "Lost" (possibly my favourite KT track ever) and "Weirdo". Oh, and "The Entertainer". And the rest. Just buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars not "lost" on me, 23 Feb 2011
Kt kinda crept up on me with eye to the telescope, I thought she was ok but all of a sudden I thought she was brilliant, and this album is no exception. Yes its defiantly not Kt as we are used to but def still the Kt we know with a new twist. Can't wait to see her in 2 days time. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Am I an idiot?", 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: Tiger Suit (Audio CD)
Have never heard those four words being communicated in such an enchanting way. Would buy this CD even if it only contained that three second long passage in "Lost". There are loads of little musical gems (like this one) hidden in each track. KT is a true master.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm sorry to say that this album "Tiger Suit" is a of bit hit and miss with me!, 20 Mar 2011
Dragonlord (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tiger Suit (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed K.T. Tunstall's last albums Eye to the Telescope and Drastic Fantastic but it seems with each new release her music keeps on going downhill that little bit more. I feel unless her next album is more in the style of her earlier stuff or improves on this album then maybe I will give it a miss. The best tracks for me are "Difficulty", "Fade Like A Shadow" and "Come on, Get It". Some may say that I am being a bit harsh on this album but the poppy beats grind me and the lyrics are weaker even her voice overall doesn't appeal to me so much. Come On K.T. Tunstall we all know that you can do better then this please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 14 Nov 2010
This review is from: Tiger Suit (Audio CD)
what an enjoyment listening to this collection.
beautiful songs,perfectly performed.
made one KT tunstall fan even more happier.
Cd delivered in a cardboard sleeve instead of plastic holder.

4.0 out of 5 stars Move over PJ Harvey ... the competition has arrived, 27 Dec 2010
Lucioperca (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tiger Suit (Audio CD)
In an era when our music scene is becoming crammed by manufactured boy bands and talent show musicians, the charts are filled with bland music factory output and the radio airwaves are controlled by the wishes and desires of the record companies .... thank heavens for people like KT Tunstall who have the integrity to stick with what they believe in and produce original sounds and clever lyrics. Tiger Suit is up to her usual standards and it sounds like she has been given a bigger production budget because it just sounds deeper and richer. That said, Tiger Suit hasn't quite managed to topple Drastic Fantastic as my favourite of her albums (which I acknowledge is purely my personal preference) but its still a damn fine album well worth the storage space on your hard drive or some shelf space in your CD collection.

KT avoids all the cliched idealistic lyrics about love and boys and bling .... she sings about diverse topics and stuff that will probably affect us on a daily basis and in terms that seem far more real. This album is another 11 tracks of truly diverse music, some melancholy songs and some toe tappers, but for me the stand out tracks on here are Fade Like A Shadow and Ummannaq Song... incredibly catchy tunes. After 3 albums I have heard enough .... I will definitely make the effort to catch her UK tour in Spiring 2011. For a long time PJ Harvey has been the queen of 'off the beaten track' music but KT Tunstall has become a very serious threat to the crown. This artist is well worth getting in to.

Update March 2011: Caught KT at the Norwich UEA gig and she was awesome live. Much heavier sound and her music tales on a whole new depth and quality played live and it has changed my opinion. This album is a total grower and I now rate it side-by-side with Drastic Fantastic ..... The Entertainer, Ummannaq Song, Fade Like A Shadow, Horse and The Cherry Tree .... and many many more tracks were given the live makeover. Catch her live, she is worth twice the entrance fee. A live album would be a most welcome addition to her catalogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars MORE! MORE!, 16 Oct 2010
This review is from: Tiger Suit (Audio CD)
The only drawback with this latest CD from Scottish sensation KT Tunstall is that there aren't more than 11 songs on it; having heard it all from beginning to end, all I wanted was to hear even more.

On "Tiger Suit", Tunstall mixes club rhythms with the already familiar sonorous voice heard in "Eye to the telescope" and "Drastic fantastic". It is a well-balanced, well-composed album consisting of both slow, quiet ballads and rock, mixing various percussion instruments with her guitar sounds and vocals. If you're a fan already, you're going to enjoy this very much. If you're not, you will be after this ...

The item arrives in a paper/cardboard sleeve, not those plastic CD covers of olden times. It's a good job they put that sleeve in a plastic foil casing, as it was raining on the day it arrived. Inside you will find the CD along with a nice little booklet containing the lyrics and a couple of sketches.

Tiger Suit
Tiger Suit by KT Tunstall (Audio CD - 2010)