5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!!
Published on 19 Dec 2010 by Fifi

1.0 out of 5 stars Only the cat was happy
An almost perfect cage but with a , literally, fatal flaw. In 6 weeks two Syrian hamsters have escaped from the cage. The plastic tube that runs outside the bars is not immune to hamsters bashing and pushing it. The tube on ours shifted once creating a sufficient hole for Nippy to escape and the cat got him. we taped the tube up so firmly that it couldn't shift (ugly...
Published on 26 Jun 2011 by Bob Nightingale

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!!, 19 Dec 2010
This review is from: Savic Hamster Heaven Navy Blue Hamster Cage, 80 x 50 x 50 cm (Misc.)
We are so delighted with this cage - and so is our Syrian hamster. Really quite simple to assemble, loads of activities and plenty of space for your hammy to run around in. A couple of words of warning though - cage comes with no instructions, be very careful to make sure that all the connections are tight on the tubes before introducing your hamster or it may become disconnected and your hamster will escape!!! Also, the manufacturer states that it is suitable for dwarf hamsters - I would say definitely not - they may be able to squeeze through the bars on this cage. - Otherwise a fantastic buy and we would highly recommend this best cage on the market today.

Fifi

5.0 out of 5 stars Adult Syrian and owner both very happy, 15 Aug 2014
ShannonMcN (Co. Down, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
I just bought a Hamster Heaven for my new rescue Syrian Buttercup after reading the reviews here and on Hamster Central. Thought I would give my input. The cage is slightly over the recommended minimum for Syrian hamsters as given by the RSPCA which was the primary reason I chose it. The cage recommended by Pets at Home (Ferplast Laura) was much too small and Buttercup was bar-chewing like crazy after only 2 days.

Pros
-Spacious with a good tray depth for a decent amount of substrate and a selection of toys. It is a much larger cage than new hamster owners might be expecting so make sure you have enough flat space for it.
-It seems sturdy, the base and cage sections clip on very firmly and the cage itself seems well constructed EXCEPT for one bar (see below)
-The carry handles are very helpful, I'm not a big person so carrying this without the handles would be very difficult
-Deep enough that the two different levels don't make the cage seem crowded and good space for any hanging toys
-Large door is handy for getting Buttercup into her ball, she used to have to climb up to the door of her cage but now I can put the whole ball inside and she can climb in easily without me picking her up (we're not 100% cool with that yet!)
-The tubes are a good addition for hamsters who enjoy them but it's also great that they can be removed without compromising the overall cage function, same with the penthouse
-The selection of "extras" that come with the cage are good quality, the toilet is handy (if the little miss figures it out) and the water bottle works well
-The wheel is good and it's an 8 inch instead of the 6.5 inch you normally see provided with cages. It's not silent but with a little lubrication it isn't very noisy and will do until I find a decent price on a quieter wheel.

Cons
-The cage was tricky enough to put together, I read some reviews here saying things like "How am I supposed to do this? I'm not an engineer!" And laughed a bit because I am actually a structural engineering graduate and so is my bf but we did take about 20 minutes to sort it all out (and cook dinner at the same time. Dinner suffered). The instructions on the Savic website aren't actually that helpful, we mostly used the picture. The most awkward thing was how hard it is to get the tubes together, the cage being so large makes it hard to manoeuvre.
-The "ladders" are more like slides. Buttercup can't get a grip on them at all and doesn't use either of them. We put one of her old Ferplast tubes through the hole in the taller platform for her but she prefers to climb the bars up instead. I'm getting some bendy bridges to use so she doesn't have to.
-I would have preferred the green shelf to be solid. The design looks interesting but there isn't that much useable space on it
-The sunken food bowls are good for not tipping over but Buttercup preferred her old larger dish she could sit in to eat so I'm not using those either
-The gap between the platforms is too large for her to stretch over but small enough that she thinks she can which has resulted in a few tumbles, it would be good to include some way of bridging that gap, I see online that a lot of people have made their own. I'm going to use a suspended ladder when it comes in the post.
-The right angles in the tubing are a bit difficult for her to manage, she's not very large for a Syrian and used the curved Ferplast tubes no problem but she doesn't really like the 90degree-vertical-90degree set up. I might remove them as she doesn't seem to really enjoy them and I'm having visions of her getting stuck
-One of the bars on the top penthouse door detached on one side with very little pressure. It's one of the top ones which is covered by the penthouse so it's not a huge issue but I did have to go around the rest of the cage checking there were no more bars that were going to come loose as she is a bar chewer sometimes.

Overall I'm very pleased with the cage, the size more than makes up for the nitpicky things I've found and I got it for £59 which is more than reasonable and cheaper than a lot of places. It arrived very quickly and was well packaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant cage, 21 Jun 2012
H. Evans (wales) - See all my reviews
I received this cage today. It is absolutely huge. Brilliant cage. My hamster Coco loves it, so cute when he is in the penthouse. Easy to put together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!!!, 15 Jan 2013
I cannot stress enough just how huge this cage really is compared to those you get at the local pet shop (mine being a "Petsathome"). Easy to build even though it doesn't come with instructions took me about 15 minutes to put it all together, and put in my hamsters toys bedding etc. Tubes are easy to fit together as long as your patient.
I really like that there is the option of having the 'pent house' and the tubes, it comes with stoppers if you don't want them, or your hamster is larger than normal. Tubes are plenty big enough for my hamster to do a 180 turn at the smaller parts.

the wheel that it comes with is also large enough even for a large syrian unlike a lot of the other wheels I've seen, needs to be placed carefully though if you want it on the bars are it only just bits between the green platform and the roof of the cage. the wheel I got was a little stiff, but I took it off the clip and put a tiny bit of vaseline on it and it runs smoothly and easily now, can be a little noisy when my hamster runs really fast but it can't be heard in the next room.

The only downside to having this cage is the amount of bedding it takes to have a generous layer on the floor, I used about half a bag of care fresh, but since my hamster uses the toilet (that comes with it!!!) I'll only need to change the bedding/flooring once a week, the toilet needs to be cleaned out daily though which isn't really a big problem and the litter is also cheap.

I really can't express how perfect this cage is my syrian loves it, since putting him in there yesterday he's been chewing the bars less and running around exploring and is much more active during the day as well as the night so we can enjoy playing with him more often then we use to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant cage, 15 Jun 2012
After being sold a cage for a syrian hamster from Pets at Home and being told that she would still be fine in it when she was fully grown, I wasn't overly happy that after 3 months I needed to buy a new one. After being advised wrongly already, I did my own research and found this cage and it is amazing!!! It is a fantastic size and matches well with the RSPCA size guidelines for a Syrian Hamster. Most importantly, she loves it. I've never seen her so animated and play for so long in one go. Its good quality and well made and would totally recommend it to anyone. My daughter loves it because its colourful and can see her hamster is so happy in it. I was lucky with the price I paid for this at £57 on Amazon,as it seems to retail at about £90 everywhere else, which is a bit of a drawback because it is expensive. I would say however that it is well worth the money. I do agree with comment that crops up in a lot of the reviews about assembling it though ... there's no instructions apart from the small picture attached to the front,and fitting the tubes together is quite tricky. You really need to take your time on these as the fixings are tiny and would be easy to break off. We looked at loads of cages online as we were worried about the tube sizes and had heard of hamsters getting stuck in them. Our hamster is quite a big girl but she fits through them fine and you can see she loves playing in them, so anyone with a larger hamster need not worry. She even managed to turn round in the narrowest part of the tube. I'm really pleased with this purchase and would give it 10 out of 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!!, 26 Oct 2014
I purchased this after reading some fantastic reviews on here after deciding the cage I got at P.A.H was not big enough. This is the minimum size for a Syrian Hamster.

This cage is perfect for little Teddy, theres lots of space for toys and the pipes make for some interesting layouts.

I removed the green level so I could add a 28cm Trixie wheel, this also frees up more floor space. The Hamster loves the penthouse and after finding it he has'nt come down.

This is a solid build, here arn't any instructions but its not complicated to build. I have not had any problems with the water bottle just jam the spout in hard and it won't leak.

This product arrived very fast and in perfect condition I would recommend this to any Syrian Hamster owner.

5.0 out of 5 stars looked a it a bit like a challenge, 19 July 2014
As always I read the reviews before I buy and very much am guided by them. So as advised no instructions but followed the image, had I had instructions I would have put it together quicker, looked a it a bit like a challenge!!! It is huge, twice the size of the other cage (which my son managed to break less than a week after buying it) Rose our lovey hamster can't quite believe her new home, struggling to get around at first using the slides, now uses a combination of bars and her toys to get around. Her big dilemma, was where to sleep, not remotely interested in the provided beds and at one stage I was worried it would be the tubes but she has chosen the loft at the end tubes on the top of the cage, this may change when the weather cools!! We are all very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars do not buy here, 14 Dec 2013
The cage is £64 at pets at home plus £5 off because its over £50! Buy on [...]
apart from that its a great cage and very well ventilated!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for Hamster, takes a while to clean hamster out, 21 Oct 2013
We bought this for our Syrian hamster and it is brilliant. Takes a good half hour to hour to put together as doesn't come with any instructions, but it is quite obvious. Hamster loves sleeping in the top and going down the tubes. REMEMBER its a big cage and takes a good bit of space up. Also cleaning out takes a while as you have to take all tubes apart as obvious they get poo/bedding/food in them. The lid is heavy too so kids couldn't do alone in case dropped on hamster. However we clean our daughters hammy out so not a problem.it looks the part,hammy loves it and gives hamster good chance to have some space.recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Hamster Heaven indeed!, 4 Oct 2011
My daughter was worried that this might be too big for her bedroom but it is just perfect and takes up less room than you'd think. For a Syrian hamster who like to race around all night, there is lots going on. My family of 5 sat transfixed last night as we watched my daughter's new pet race around exploring. The platforms, pods and tubing leading to the 'penthouse' adds plenty of interest. The colours are funky and vibrant. The cage, if properly put together is sturdy and I feel that any escape is highly unlikely. We particularly like the 'bathroom' with it's granular content which is provided with the cage - our little fellow uses as a kind of dustbath!! The only downside was that we had to reject the first two cages because the cages had been poorly packaged by the manufacturers (not Amazon) and the corners had all broken. But I'm still going to give this 5 stars because we love it!!